Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Its a story that just wont go away, even if he signs a new deal the speculation will continue. Its a no win situation for us

Oh and on a more positive note

Rafael Benitez has today confirmed he has signed four new players ahead of the start of next season - with the promise of two or three more to come before the end of the week.
Dutch star Bolo Zenden was officially unveiled as a Liverpool player this afternoon after completing his free transfer from Middlesbrough and he could make his debut in Saturday's friendly at Wrexham.

Benitez also revealed the club have now completed the signing of goalkeeper Jose Reina from Villareal while Mark Gonzales has signed from Albacete and young right back Antonio Barragan has arrived from Sevilla.

The Liverpool boss said: "We have today introduced Bolo Zenden as a Liverpool player but we have also signed Jose Reina, the best goalkeeper in Spain, Mark Gonzales, the best player in Chile and Antonio Barragan.

"We will be signing two or three more players this week."

Its all happening this week

The Liverpool boss said: "We have today introduced Bolo Zenden as a Liverpool player but we have also signed Jose Reina, the best goalkeeper in Spain, Mark Gonzales, the best player in Chile and Antonio Barragan.

Do you guys agree with that?

I thought the best keeper in spain was Casillas :S.

Best player in Chile? What about Navia, Salas, Jimenez ;). Hes probably trying to make them seem world class since theyre the CL winners.

IMO, Gerrard should have just shut up and signed a deal ages ago to aviod all this mess thats been created.
Now I'm starting to worry that something similar might happen with Rio Ferdinand.

So that's 4 players signed, including Gonzalez, Reina, Barraghan.

I guessing Rafa is getting as much squad players to add some depth & strength as cheap as he can.

There will be some big money signings on the horizon, i'm guessing Kuijt, Milito/upson and Aimar.

Can we use Liverpool's players names in Scrabble? What a great score I'd get!:)

On a different note, Benitez says he has big plans for Stevie G in the future and offered coach and/or managerial roles for him. What more can they offer? He has certainly made his feelings clear to me......sign Steven!!! :mrgreen:

Last edited:

The way Stevie G should be looking at it is that at the bottom of his heart, he knows that Liverpool is where he wants to be. So signing the contract as soon as possible would then get rid of all the problems that could potentially arise in the future.

Last year, we lost Owen...and yet we won the Champions League.
This year, I think we will lose Gerrard....Premiership maybe?

with the money, we can get 3 world-class signings....makes sense..
no player is bigger than the club...Gerrard is making the same
mistake Owen did.

Actually Owen wouldnt necessarily get first team football, Gerrard will get first team football, no matter where he goes.

Thats not entirely true. The best 2 strikers at Real Madrid are Ronaldo and Owen yet Raul is in the team because he's the captain he's never gonna be dropped.

Gerrard can also fall into a similar situation where he's on the bench but not because of his ability.

It doesn't seem that long ago that he was a 17 year old and happy to get a sniff in the midfield. Gotta blame the agents...

I think Rafa and Liverpool have managed to come out of this with their
heads held high, no matter what the outcome.
Gerrard did not sign 3 times he was offered a new deal in the season,
saying he wanted to wait till the summer.
We won the CL, and seemed set to stay. Now he could leave....
I hope he stays, but if he does leave, then Liverpool will and should
get atleast 30 million
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4651003.stm
This can only benefit the club. we could sign 3 good players.
Sure it will create a void in the team, but the club comes first.
Rafa Benitez knows what he's doing.

RuneEdge said:
Thats not entirely true. The best 2 strikers at Real Madrid are Ronaldo and Owen yet Raul is in the team because he's the captain he's never gonna be dropped.

Gerrard can also fall into a similar situation where he's on the bench but not because of his ability.

Nah no way, Owen wasnt really performing well when he left, however Gerrard has (if he is leaving). The players that are performing left and get transferred always get a first team place. Unless it was because of an injury or some scandal or something, there is 100% no way he will leave Liverpool and sit on the bench somewhere, i can assure you that.

Whatever happens is got to happen soon, with the CL registration deadline looming not to mention pre-qualifyers.

I'm sure rafa would be happy to let him go especially if that would mean him being able to make solid bids for his certain targets like Vicente/Joaquin/Ballack/Baraja/SWP.

There's some intresting stats on Sky Sports...

Gerrard's shooting accuracy isn't as good as Cole, Lampard or Makelele.

Gerrard's pass completion is lower than Cole, Lampard, Makelele and Tiago.

Gerrard's tackles won rate is higher than Lampard and Tiago, level with Makalele and lower than Joe Coles.

That's for the Premiership last season.

Do you think it has something to do with assurances that there would be some world class signings made by liverpool in the summer! No disrespect to Gonzalez, Reina, Barraghan but they are hardly world class!

Fans want a descision?

I want to leave Anfield - Gerrard
Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool he wants to leave Anfield after turning down a new £100,000-a-week contract.

The 25-year-old captain made his move after Liverpool rejected a £32m bid from Premiership champions Chelsea.

A Liverpool club statement read: "The club has made it crystal clear we want to keep Steven at Anfield.

"Sadly, he has told us that he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave," the statement added.

There it is.

I'm not gonna believe anything Gerrard says until I officially see a transfer.
I mean, if he was gonna leave, we would have known a few months ago.
I dont see how all of a sudden a little bust up with the manager (if that even happened like how its been reported) can change that.

Wow, spanish invasion on Anfield, first the english colonize us Gibraltar, now we take the vengeance with the Liverpool!!

LoL

RuneEdge said:
I'm not gonna believe anything Gerrard says until I officially see a transfer.
I mean, if he was gonna leave, we would have known a few months ago.
I dont see how all of a sudden a little bust up with the manager (if that even happened like how its been reported) can change that.

The bust up and the contract talks, which failed 3 times in the past, apparently he wanted a much greater salary.

Italian Media says that Real Madrid have just made an offer to sign their first 'Galactico' this year.

Since hes Liverpool for life in his heart, I think this is very likely since he might want to avoid playing his past, much like Owen did.

listen, it's happening, end of debate.

if it's on the official site with an official press release then it's offical and it's happening.

------------------------------------------------------

rafa has handled this brilliantly and i won't be getting down about it as long as we replace SG with quality and i'm sure we will then fine, it's football; these things happen.

------------------------------------------------------

everyone will say i'm bitter but i've been saying for the past week that i wouldn't be too downhearted if he left, he had a great game in the champs league final (well, after half time) but a lot of the time his reputation over-shadowed his performances.

just hope he doesn't go to chelsea - madrid would be cool for me.

Back
Top Bottom