Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

just found this, not sure how true it is

4 June 2005
EXCLUSIVE: KOP GO FOR RAUL
Real star's FOUR secret trips to Anfield

LIVERPOOL are preparing one of the biggest transfer coups ever as they line up Real Madrid skipper Raul.

The Champions League all-time top-scorer has visited the club four times in recent months, and contact has been made with the 27-year-old over the possibility of a sensational move to England - after he indicated he is ready to leave Spain.

He visited Liverpool mainly to see his friend Fernando Morientes, but also has been to Anfield and even to the club's training ground to see the facilities.

The work of Anfield boss and fellow countryman Rafa Benitez has hugely impressed Raul, and he would relish the chance to team up with Morientes again after forming such a lethal partnership in Madrid. Raul is the king of Real Madrid, and there would be uproar in the Spanish capital if he were to leave the club.

Advertisement

But the striker, who is also his country's top scorer, has become disillusioned with life under Bernabeu president Florentino Perez.

Raul said: "After 11 years here I want what's best for the club. If at some time I have to

sacrifice myself in order for the team to progress, then I will do.

"If the club calls you up and says you have to go, then as a player you have to be prepared to look for a way out that benefits everyone.

"If I listen to the polls in some papers, it looks as though I should leave now. I still feel useful to the club and believe I haven't reached my peak, but I don't want to be in the way. All I want is for the club to be clear with me."

Perez and Raul are thought to hate each other after a dramatic bust-up two years ago when manager Vicente Del Bosque was sacked along with skipper Fernando Hierro on Madrid's 'night of the long knives' - hours after they won the Spanish title.

Raul was outspoken at thetime against Perez, and the two have become sworn enemies. Michael Owen -who has pledged to stay at the Bernabeu despite playing second fiddle to out-of-form Raul last season -has been told he will get far more of an opportunity next season, which raises further questions over the skipper's position. Privately, Raul has indicated that he has become disillusioned with life in the Spanish capital and is ready to consider a move abroad. Liverpool would jump at the chance to pair up Raul with Morientes. Raul is still only 27 despite winning three Champions League finals. But Liverpool would need a cut- price deal as the superstar is rated at around £25million.

personally i think it's a load of rubbish, he's a great player but i can't see him leaving madrid and i don't think we can afford him anyway

Last edited:

Hopefully this will never ever happen , it would be absolutly ridiculous to waste , lets say £15-20 million on this guy, better get owen back for £5million ...

Spawn_68 said:
Hopefully this will never ever happen , it would be absolutly ridiculous to waste , lets say £15-20 million on this guy, better get owen back for £5million ...

Dream on, Owen for 5m! I think Raul would be a amazing buy, yes he hasnt been at his best for a couple of seasons but a move could rejuvernate(sp) him!

jamie_mack said:
Dream on, Owen for 5m! I think Raul would be a amazing buy, yes he hasnt been at his best for a couple of seasons but a move could rejuvernate(sp) him!
But is it worth taking the risk? What if he doesnt play any better?

i think Raul is in a similar postion to what owen was at Liverpool and a move away has done him good!

Dont know if this has been posted yet, but its classic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4602759.stm

Also, I still feel the sale of this classy guy was a bargain for Real.

53019165.jpg

Last edited:

Could someone remind me exactly why he left for only £8million?

He was into the last year of his contract, wasn't going to sign a new one and was looking to sneak off on the free. We knew it, Madrid knew it & so did others that we were not going to get more than £10mil for him. So Nunez was thrown into the equation aswell.

People say it was a stupid sale, but look what happened to Tottenham with Sol Campbell & now look at the contract saga with Rio Ferdinand and Ashley Cole.

hahahha doofus baros, anyway its cool because it will remain as like a tribute to how much it meant to the club.

I hae watched Raul for the last two seasons and the Euro cup play very average, to sometimes appaling,footy. I really could care less about having him come to Anfield if costs any more than $8 million. He looks to be a shadow of his former self, most goals i have seen him score this season were tap ins or put ins, and he seems to have lost his ability to dominate a game.

It's true that Owen hit a dry spell before leaving for Madrid and finding his scorer's boots, but his dry spell was not a two year spell like Raul's. |further, Owen never had the all star cast around him that Raul did at Madrid.

Personally, I would take someone like Mista over him for less money.

Raul apparently has said the rumours are crap, and that he has no intention of leaving Spain.

Phew.

HELP - i am trying to find a couple things and hope you can help me. I need a 'pool Women's jersey for a female friend's bday and i also wanted to get the special edition Champs League crested shirt. The official liverpool site is on backorder.

What sites do you all find have the best selection of tshirts, and women's stuff for Liverpool fans? thanks.

But my point is that Raul is definately past his best but Owen might not have reached his peak yet.

ghazi said:
Raul apparently has said the rumours are crap, and that he has no intention of leaving Spain.

Phew.

Excellent News , still hoping that Milan stays with pool.

Liverpool doesnt deserve to defend their tittle

Marlboro Man said:

lol. I have spent two years on this site makin' us Yankees legit, and then you post this. :mrgreen:

Yeah I guess most of us knew Raul was great during those Champions League victories a few years back, but I think not many knew that he was in his early 20s when they won it.

Marlboro Man said:

Nobody should defend their tiTTle. lol. the Title is an entirely different issue. :mrgreen:

ghazi said:
HELP - i am trying to find a couple things and hope you can help me. I need a 'pool Women's jersey for a female friend's bday and i also wanted to get the special edition Champs League crested shirt. The official liverpool site is on backorder.

What sites do you all find have the best selection of tshirts, and women's stuff for Liverpool fans? thanks.

http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/store/product_details.jsp?pid=72057594037939850&cid=72057594037929311&brc=&red=product_list.jsp?id=72057594037929311,mid=-1,

EDIT: Bit of a pointless link actually, its not available there yet (DOH!)

Back
Top Bottom