Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
doesnt bother me, we did that they year we won it, but as non you southerners canny even get to a feckin final we wont talk about the CL ey soft lad....
#

Do they teach English in Manchester schools?? :mrgreen:

Butatista said:
#

Do they teach English in Manchester schools?? :mrgreen:

what more of your wit, I can't take this, we're talking football and of course you dont have a decent comeback so you change subjects, genius!!

and yeah dey hav no skools in manchester and my name is really vannizzlefashizzal...

get ya coat!!

So then scousers, what gonna happen on Sunday?

Its gonna be a hard game for us. You will be bouyant after your result against Chelsea, but maybe a little tired. If the CL Liverpool turn up its gonna be tough for us to break you down. If not, then I can only see one outcome, an Arsenal win.

ghazi said:
Bingo. I dont understand the debate about whether the team should focus on the Champs League or the EPL. lol. Is it even a question?

They are already IN a Champs League tournament and a FINAL, to boot. I would say that demands more attention than fighting for a possible spot in the next years Round of 128 teams. lol.

Truesay, but lets not underestimate the issues faced on missing out on ECL action next year: Money and Prospective player interest.

Truesay likewise, but player interest is already generated. A first year coach to take this team so far and beat the widely considered #1 and #3 teams in the world in Chelski and Juve, and playing the #2 team in the final. I think they have the attention of every player out there who's thinking of moving. ;)

My point is that they can win out their Champ League game/s and be Euro Champions forever. . . or they could win out their EPL games, and still be out of the competition. You wait so long for a chance at Euro glory, you should focus on attaining it when you actually advance far enough to smell it.

. . and what;s the word on the new sponsor, Rocky? Is it for next season, or is it one more year of the same before the change?

ghazi said:
. . and what;s the word on the new sponsor, Rocky? Is it for next season, or is it one more year of the same before the change?

Done a bit of researching, and found this:
http://www.footballeconomy.com/rep_dec_14.htm

The guy definitely wrote this well before our ECL run so I'm not sure whether things are going to change....

I think its time for a change. Maybe a new look aesthetically may catalyse all that :D

Also, in other shirt-based sponsorship news, Barcelona is going to break tradition by having a shirt sponsor.....Beijing?

Edit: Just found these links concerning Liverpool's Sponsors:
http://anfieldroad.com/news/2005/105101/119105148/showitem.php
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?story=634634

2nd link: :shock:

Last edited:

ghazi said:
Truesay likewise, but player interest is already generated. A first year coach to take this team so far and beat the widely considered #1 and #3 teams in the world in Chelski and Juve, and playing the #2 team in the final. I think they have the attention of every player out there who's thinking of moving. ;)

My point is that they can win out their Champ League game/s and be Euro Champions forever. . . or they could win out their EPL games, and still be out of the competition. You wait so long for a chance at Euro glory, you should focus on attaining it when you actually advance far enough to smell it.

spot on

rafa's shown what he can do with a squad that i thought was average at best, he'll have known for some time now what areas he wants to strengthen and who he wants to bring in and i don't think he'll have any problems attracting players even if we're not in the european cup next season, if someone doesn't want to sign for the club because of that then they can fuck of as far as i'm concerned, we need players who want to come here and fight to get the club back where it belongs, players who can see the bigger picture and where rafa wants us to be in another year or 2

ronaldinho is a good example, he could've signed for any team in the world but chose barcelona who had struggled in recent seasons and weren't in the european cup last season, now they're on the brink of their first league title in 6 years and were unlucky to go out of the european cup to chelsea

the deal with carlsberg runs out at the end of the season, so far i've only heard of a proposed deal with lg electronics worth around £2.5m - £4m a year (carlsberg was worth £6m)

Don't you think it's time we moved away from Reebok, our
kit manufacturer....
I look at all the best teams who have Nike, Adidas....
I would love to see us in a Adidas kit, like in the 80s-90s.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,1476663,00.html

Comin to think about it, maybe lack of Champions League footy will be good for the club (in the long run)?

Ideally I would like to see us in there next year, but I think minus all the european distraction, Rafa can focus on the league cos thats really gonna show whether we've progressed or not.

I remember it was near abouts this time in 2001, when we progressed to the UEFA cup finals (in Houllier's 1st year mind), and there was all talk about the team becoming Kings of Europe again. But, alas, it was back to square one. I'm thinking Rafa's priorities will be to build on the team's consistency than anything else..

mathewsss said:
Don't you think it's time we moved away from Reebok, our
kit manufacturer....
I look at all the best teams who have Nike, Adidas....
I would love to see us in a Adidas kit, like in the 80s-90s.

True! but I have to say my (and quite a few others) fave kit has to be Umbro's 84:

81home.gif

Why's everyone so fucking happy around here? What have I missed?

rockykabir said:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,1476663,00.html

Comin to think about it, maybe lack of Champions League footy will be good for the club (in the long run)?

Ideally I would like to see us in there next year, but I think minus all the european distraction, Rafa can focus on the league cos thats really gonna show whether we've progressed or not.

I remember it was near abouts this time in 2001, when we progressed to the UEFA cup finals (in Houllier's 1st year mind), and there was all talk about the team becoming Kings of Europe again. But, alas, it was back to square one. I'm thinking Rafa's priorities will be to build on the team's consistency than anything else..

True, I also think that missing out on the CL next year
could be a blessing in disguise.
We really need to win the League before we can ever think
of saying that the glory days are back.

mathewsss said:
True, I also think that missing out on the CL next year
could be a blessing in disguise.
We really need to win the League before we can ever think
of saying that the glory days are back.

:O thats EXACTLY what my friend said today, is that you waddo? :P

rockykabir said:
True! but I have to say my (and quite a few others) fave kit has to be Umbro's 84:

81home.gif
This kit reminds me, funnily enough of the time when we put 5 past Everton at Goodison Park, with Rushie getting four. :lol:

Must beat Arsenal or we be fucked, or should I say more fucked

Looks like we're going with 4-5-1 again.....hoping to stop their midfield?

That was just a joke. Arsenal were running rings round us first half. Somebody please tell me if they had a training sesh this week or are they still on the lash from Tuesday?

Lots better in the second half. The damage had already been done though. Just about sums up the way we've been playing this season. People I expect will be moved on include Kewell, Smicer, Baros, possibly Hyypia(age), hopefully Traore too.:D

Trying not to "Ferguson" it, but its good that Arsenal beat us today. Our away form has been terrible all season and a good result today would have clouded this issue. The Champions League has been too much of a distraction to what should really matter to the club: the premiership. I'm not rating the prem more, just saying that winning the premiership is more of a better indication of the club progressing to better times.

Hopefully, next year he'll get the chance to permutate the team around to reach the best combination to get consistency in the league. We know his achievements in Europe in the past, but can he do it in the Premiership? Also, flair players like Garcia really needs to learn the importance of defending as well as attacking in a game - the guy still hasn't fully convinced me he can play in the Premiership.

Also, another worry: Milan lost to Juventus earlier. Perhaps they'll be even more hungry for the CL after this huge blow to retain the scudetto?

Last edited:

look boys, lets be honest. We werent good enough away from home this season, how you expected us to beat them in beyond me. I gave up on 4th a long time ago.

Just watch next season. When benitez has the team he wants we can concertrate on the league and not the CL. Weve been there bought the cup (not literally).

Its funny, were shit away from home, yet hammer 2nd place in the league.

Worrying time for arsenal and utd. Theyre both nothing like they used to be, especially united.

Benitez has been working with shit, and publicly stated on a number of occasions theyll be gone at the end of the season. Premier league means nothing to me this season, away from home were not good enough.

Im more than confident we will be challenging for the premier league next season .

rockykabir said:
Also, another worry: Milan lost to Juventus earlier. Perhaps they'll be even more hungry for the CL after this huge blow to retain the scudetto?

Before the PSV game Ancelotti already said that CL is the main priority, because to him the CL is equal to 3 Scudetti.

kevano22 said:
Worrying time for arsenal and utd. Theyre both nothing like they used to be, especially united.

How are we nothing like we used to be. We're only 4 points off what we were on this time last season. Just coz we didnt have the hole unbeaten thing hanging over us.

Liverpool have had a bad season, so has Arsenal and UTD really, but what makes you think they wont do better next season?..

"Its funny, were shit away from home, yet hammer 2nd place in the league."

Huh?..when?.

"Benitez has been working with shit"

Wouldnt call them shit considering they are in the CL final, he has been working with a bunch of un-motivated twats more like. If all Liverpool wanna do is do good in the CL, they wont last long, they either need to fix the team or kick them.

Maybe they need some youth players who are good, who knows.

kingpug said:
Liverpool have had a bad season, so has Arsenal and UTD really, but what makes you think they wont do better next season?..

I'm taking the benefit of the doubt that Benitez needs time to adjust to the style of the Premiership. He's a class manager and I hope he'll be able to mastermind a hybrid european/british type of play to approach EPL/European games.

Some players just have to go (or change), some have to definitely come. I think the Benitez factor will definitely help our cause in bringing prospective players.

A team I'll definitely like to see next year in the Prem (in Rafa's favoured 4-4-1-1 Formation):

---------------------******-----------------------
--Finnan------Carragher-----*******--------Riise--
--Garcia?-----Alonso---------Gerrard----******----
---------------------*******---------------------
------------------Cisse/Morientes-------------------

Hyypia will fit in fine next to Carragher but he is getting on a bit (as shown today v Arsenal) so I think Rafa will be looking for a good CB.

As much as I love Garcia's contribution to the CL, I question his ability to play in the EPL. But I hope, in time, he'll learn to contribute more to defence next year.

A good playmaker like Aimar would be desirable behind Cisse/Morientes. Perhaps Morientes can go in there and swap in-game with Cisse in attack?

I think Riise should play left midfield and you should get a new leftback. Riise has shown he is dangerous this season and has chipped in with a few goals. Hes also not great defensively, and it would be cheaper to buy and new left back rather then a left midfielder.

Milanista said:
What if Gerrard does leave? isnt that a big blow?

If we were told that a year ago....most definitely. I will love Gerrard to stay, and I think he should look at the potential of the club and stick by.

But I think Rafa's trying to decentralise the team. In recent times, we've always seem to focus our play on a single player (i.e. Fowler, Owen, Gerrard etc..). the prob was, if the opposition learnt how to stop the player, we were fucked. Whereas if you look at the great Liverpool teams of the past, there was (arguably) no single outlining player as all play was based on teamwork.

I'm sorry if I do sound so pedantic at times but its so relieving to finally (I hope) have a manager looking at it the Shankly way. No team can win trophies by a single player - something Souness, Evans & Houillier frustratingly didn't realise.

Back
Top Bottom