Liverpool Thread

CWright said:
Graeme said:
i honestly think we have a good chance of winning the league, we were top by 11 points last season until traore came along

Its wrong blaming it all on one player
But you`re right :D

Traore may be a shi-te player, but Houllier is the one who persisted with him in the team.
He also persisted with Heskey when it was apparent he would not score goals.

Houllier needs to select the best XI even if it means dropping his favourites like Heskey, Smicer, Traore.

I think we should play Vignal at left back. He was pretty good in the end of the 2000-01 season, forming a good partnership with Riise on the left wing.
He's also good going forward. Nowadays fullbacks are expected to attack and defend well. Carragher lacks in the attacking department plus he's solely right footed.

Gnairn3 said:
No offence Liverpudlians but Liverpool are a team on the fall.Four teams are better than them (Chelsea,Newcastle,Arsenal and Man Utd)But i think the reds will have a huge advantage with Kewell and for once Cwright is correct it is wrong to blame it all on one player.Blame all of them.

True to some extent. Houllier and the team ran out of options last season.
We did finish 2nd best to the above four teams.
Kewell will be a good signing, but we need one more winger on the right side that should make our team more balanced.
I have a feeling Newcastle will fall away this season. Chelsea are looking good especially with Duff in the team. Arsenal & ManUtd are still the standard-bearers and Houllier needs to act quick.
He needs to get this defensive brand of counter-attacking footy out of the system. His signings indicate better days ahead for us fans who are demanding more entertaining football. Let's see, it will be an interesting season.

Gnairn3 said:
if he goes to Liverpool no doubt Totti will to they love each other

ohh i like the idea ..

totti in anfield .. whoa :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Graeme said:
lets hope, houllier moves Carragher to left back, and puts Finnan to right, or Babbel if he ever gets back to full fitness

and lets hope Henchoz doesnt get injuried as much this season

i honestly think we have a good chance of winning the league, we were top by 11 points last season until traore came along

what about riise .. you all forgot about him !?

I think Riise has ALOT to prove, The odd spectacular goal isn't enough.

1)He NEVER crosses the feckin ball

2)He's too greedy

3)9 times outta 10 he loses the ball under his feet when he tries to go on one of those stupid mazy dribbles of his.

4) His football brain is rank!, he cant spot the easy pass

People only remember his goals, But if you look at the big picture............................

i think overall we are a better team than Chelsea, its just Houllier picks at least 2 shit players per game

i would say we are about level with Newcastle

Graeme said:
i think overall we are a better team than Chelsea, its just Houllier picks at least 2 **** players per game

i would say we are about level with Newcastle

please,we are much better than newcastle.there are only two teams in england who can and will do better than us this season without me being surprised.any other team which finishes before us in the league would be a f*ckin disaster.as for the two teams better than us,arsenal bein one and im not gonna name the other as it hurts.

Liverpool + Gerard Houllier = bOOOOOOOOOORRRing
This season we fail again heads will roll for sure

This mornings match report courtesy of www.liverpoolfc.tv

New boy Anthony Le Tallec scored his first Liverpool goal as the Reds rounded off their Far East tour with a thumping 6-0 victory over Hong Kong.

Vladimir Smicer, Emile Heskey (2) and Milan Baros (2) were also on target as Gerard Houllier's side cruised to an easy victory in the searing Hong Kong heat today.

Smicer and Heskey - two players who many feel have a lot to prove this season - netted the goals which beat Thailand on Thursday and were in goalscoring mood again today as Liverpool turned in a quality display to comfortably beat their opponents.

The Reds were once again playing to a sell-out crowd, with all 40,000 tickets for the match selling out within hours earlier in the week.

Liverpool didn't disappoint their adoring public, with manager Gerard Houllier giving most of the first team squad a run-out as they all look to further increase their match fitness before the start of the new season.

The first half team set about their task from the off and could have buried their opponents under an avalanche of goals by the time the half time whistle sounded.

Vladimir Smicer - Liverpool's two goal hero against Thailand on Thursday - continued in his rich scoring vein by netting the opener here in Hong Kong after just 14 minutes. El Hadji Diouf created the chance down the left and when he crossed a low ball into the area Smicer made no mistake with a low drive into the corner of the net.

Smicer has looked a player re-born during Liverpool's pre-season. Whether it's the introduction of Harry Kewell to the first team squad, whether it's a change of squad number or whether it's because he is clear of injuries which has led to his upsurge in form, it's clear that on his recent displays an in-form Vladi could be a potent weapon for the Reds this year.

Chances came and went regularly throughout the first period. Igor Biscan - revelling in his new found role at centre back - stung the hands of the goalkeeper with a blistering drive while Diouf, Pongolle and Smicer again all skied shots over the bar from good positions.

Liverpool looked comfortable at the back, although Hong Kong did cause one or two fleeting problems, most notably at the end of the first period when Wong Chun Yue struck the post after finding too much space inside the area.

Emile Heskey - so impressive against Thailand last week - again looked up for the challenge when he was introduced to the action as one of several second half substitutes. It took the big striker just a few minutes to carve out a chance, but after doing so well to burst past a defender he then dragged his shot high over the bar.

Heskey's strike partner Michael Owen had an even better chance after 62 minutes when Vignal picked him out with a brilliant left wing cross, but Owen's header was tame and was easily kept out by the Hong Kong goalkeeper.

Heskey made it two goals in two games in the Far East as he doubled Liverpool's lead with a tidy finish after 57 minutes. Bruno Cheyrou, who looked sharp in the second half, created the opening with a precise pass and Heskey rounded the goalkeeper before slotting the ball home from a tight angle.

Anthony Le Tallec set up a chance for Baros soon after which the Czech star fired wide across goals and seconds later Heskey came close to his second of the afternoon with a low drive which was well tipped behind for a corner by the goalkeeper.

Le Tallec netted his first goal for Liverpool after 75 minutes when Baros set him up inside the area and he finished smartly with his right foot.

And Baros got himself on the scoresheet for the first time this season with a goal just two minutes later when he turned well inside the area and fired a low shot across the goalkeeper into the far corner of the net.

The local Liverpool fans were delighted to see their heroes going goal crazy, but you get the feeling Premiership defences won't be as generous as Hong Kong's back-line when the league season kicks off.

But even after taking that into consideration Gerard Houllier can be happy with his team's display and particularly pleased with the contributions of most of his players during their stay in the Far East.

So as Liverpool board their flight back to England tonight they do so in the knowledge that they have made a lot of new friends during the week long stay in the Far East and, most importantly of all, picked up two more good wins in their new season preparations.

Liverpool: Dudek, Babbel, Hyypia, Biscan, Vignal, Diouf, Murphy, Gerrard, Smicer, Owen, Pongolle.
Subs: Henchoz, Baros, Heskey, Le Tallec, Hamann, Riise, Traore, Carragher, Cheyrou

Attendance: 40,000

Conditions: Very, very hot!

Le Tallec is a future star I tell u
great balance n movement
and hes only 18!!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

ZZZZ VAPOUR said:
I think Riise has ALOT to prove, The odd spectacular goal isn't enough.

1)He NEVER crosses the feckin ball

2)He's too greedy

3)9 times outta 10 he loses the ball under his feet when he tries to go on one of those stupid mazy dribbles of his.

4) His football brain is rank!, he cant spot the easy pass

People only remember his goals, But if you look at the big picture............................

I agree with number 1 & 4...but I still think he is one of the best left sided players in the premiership.

And I agree with whoever said Newcastle are in for a fall this season....

Chelski Hmmm...Oooo they've splashed the cash like everywhere...but lets see if they can play like a team....

yea riise is one of the best left sided players behind Duff and Kewell :) and a couple others

and he does have a bit to prove but he is only 22-23.

Le Tallec is indeed amazing, and will become World Class

england22 said:
i heard Sergio Conceicao has left inter milan

wouldnt he be good for out right side?

holy crap!youre right!come on you dumb f*ck houllier,get him!he's on a free anyway........

Inter Milan recently went on a winger shopping binge. So this means that Conceicao just doesnt supply enough crosses. he likes to take ppl on but crossess arent effective or loses possesion so maybe Cuper had enough of him I dont see him solving our right side problem anyway hes inconsistent

We need our own winger shoping spree. enough of young players and central midfielders maybe a striker in the Pauleta or Makaay mould would be nice to complement Owen

Im puzzled as to why Houllier spends over 100 million but not one of them is world class, only players wit potential or unknown. I wouldnt mind if half those players turned out into stars like Hyypia and Henchoz but this is not the case

y2killer said:
Im puzzled as to why Houllier spends over 100 million but not one of them is world class, only players wit potential or unknown. I wouldnt mind if half those players turned out into stars like Hyypia and Henchoz but this is not the case

Houllier does'nt like stars who could become bigger than the team.
He firmly believes in team ethic being greater than so-called stars.
and he avoided signing Rivaldo some while ago.

If you look at the successful seasons we had (2000-01. 01-02) Houllier had almost God-like status at Anfield. I don't think he wants any player to be bigger than the team or himself.

But you only can have so many hard working players.
After last seasons disaster I think Houllier should open his already bulging eyes bigger to the fact that the team is crying out for a big name star
You need a special player to change the outcome of the game against defensive minded teams.
the players we got would pass the pass the ball square, long (Gerrard u listening?) not making any off the ball movements. in fact none of the players we have can beat a player with a skill (Owens skills are basic even a defender can do em, thank god for his pace)
If youre trailing wit a few mins to go u dont need another workhorse you need a star wit flair and skill
U seen the Juve-Barca game in US Camoranesi supplied the killer pass to Miccoli to equalise? thats wat im talkin bout. too bad they lost in the P.K

y2killer said:

i totally agree with ya on that part,but conceicao is a very fast winger who does cross the ball.remember how he destroyed germany in euro96?the reason he isnt wanted at inter is cos he has disagreement with cuper.and please,we dont need pauleta(30) or makaay(28),we'd be better off with cisse(22).he is really world class.he has got massive strength,superb pace and packs a powerful shot with extreme precision.if ya watch alot of le championat,you'll know what im talkin bout.you know there must be something bout him anyways if the likes of real,barca,juve,milan,arsenal want him in their squad

Gerard Houllier says Vladimir Smicer and Emile Heskey have nothing to prove this season. This kind of ridiculous statement plays in to the hands of those who have little confidence in the Liverpool manager. Not only that but it is a worrying reminder of Liverpool FC today.
These two players have everything to prove. They have been the club's two most incosistent players. Had they played to their full potential and showed us the ability they genuinely do possess on a regular basis, they could have been the difference to a team desperately seeking the title.
I've been labelled their biggest critics but I'd like to think that I've just been fair and honest. Why would I single out two players for the fun of it? What annoys me is that they can play but they rarely do. This summer I agreed to wipe the slate clean and give everyone a fresh chance and that still stands but I was incensed when I read Gerard Houllier's comments this morning. What a load of bullshit.
For example, it's clear that Houllier's approach to Heskey has previously failed. This nicely does it, softly, softly approach has done nothing for his confidence. Stop telling him he's tired, he's this, he's that. Give him a good bloody bollocking and shove a size ten up his arse. Tell him and Smicer that their careers are on the bloody line. Tell them the truth. Tell them how you have stood by them and taken the criticism for it from the fans. Tell them of the great players before them and how they themselves could become Anfield legends. They owe you boss, they really do.
They are not poor players but they do have a lot to prove. I'll judge their efforts over the full season and not in a couple of pre-season friendlies. Nobody was more pleased than me when they got amongst the goals this summer but let's hope they can continue this form over the course of the season.
Are people really that gullible to believe that Smicer has played so inconsitently since his arrival because of the weight of the number 7 shirt? Bollocks! He has no idea what that number means to the supporters of the club and Gerard Houllier has no idea how much his comments will wind up people like me who are sick of certain pretenders gracing the Anfield turf.
Every player has something to prove, especially those who are under the spotlight more than others. We used to say that we were Liverpool FC and that we demanded the best. This is what made us so special. Not only have we fallen from great heights and lost our right to domination but we are gradually losing our values.
Nothing to prove my arse.

Yeah Smicer needs to wising up, I actually think he is a good player, he should at least be hitting 11+ a season for us.

Heskey Hmmm...

Misfit said:
... Gerard Houllier has no idea how much his comments will wind up people like me who are sick of certain pretenders gracing the Anfield turf.
Every player has something to prove, especially those who are under the spotlight more than others. We used to say that we were Liverpool FC and that we demanded the best. This is what made us so special. Not only have we fallen from great heights and lost our right to domination but we are gradually losing our values.
Nothing to prove my arse.

What do we expect out of heskey and smicer next season anyway?
Despite his size u wld expect heskey to be good in the air but his flick ons are inaccurate or he doesnt get to them at all. When he tries to take ppl on he would fall on his arse
Smicer? is he a winger or a in the hole player? neither. hes been poor these few seasons
I just hope Hamann's comments that we would win the title would come true but trust me it would not be with the help of these two players

Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has been alerted with the news that Portuguese international winger Sergio Conceicao (28) has been released from his contract at Inter Milan.
Gerard Houllier is an admirer of the player and has previously made attempts to sign him. As a result you would seriously expect the Reds to make a formal contract offer to the player's agent especially as he's available on a free.
"I asked for my contract to be cancelled, Inter accepted," said Conceicao. "I have already received several offers and I am studying them."
The former Lazio and Parma ace had one year remaining on his existing deal but had fallen out of favour with his manager.

Back
Top Bottom