Liverpool Thread

Ah well, another one of those days.

West Ham have developed a great little system for dealing with teams that want to pass them to death, they find the gaps you leave and exploit them time and time again, they did it to Arsenal and they did it to us. We were stupid enough to try to beat them in midfield hoping to get plenty of support to Benteke from Coutinho and Firmino but West Ham simply cut off those channels and we had no plan B.

We should never have played Benteke on his own for a start, and we had too much pressure on the centre backs. If ever there was a perfect game for the 3-5-2 system it was this one.

Had we played with Sakho, Lovren and Skrtel with Gomez and Clyne as wing backs, Lucas and Can in the middle with any of Milner, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana or Markovic behind Ings and Benteke it would have given us plenty of options and would have meant we had them pressed right back with enough cover to stop them countering us.

We left our centre backs exposed, and Lovren is a bottler, he couldn't cope and made far too many mistakes. Story of last season really, individual mistakes cost us dearly. But, we had over 60% possession and managed only 1 shot on target, that tells you everything about the midfield.

Last edited:
All these teams emulating Barca's style thinking it's the best way to play football are doing it all wrong and turning into sterile football. I never liked it to begin with even Barca's but at least they do it right. You either do it right or play to your strengths and weaknesses, not just emulate the best team in the world thinking you'll magically become like them.

12003324_10153755408142573_8510829808894353282_n.jpg

Not even the Mignolet comedy show livened that up.

Utd can only pass a ball in their own 3rd (and anyone can do that ...well, bar LFC today! :P)

At least the 2nd half will be better!

Nice of skrtl to let the kid have a wander towards goal and score. Defended like he was in a charity match with a sick kid running at him. "Oh oh oooh, dribbled right past me. Well done!"

So xmas to call time on Rodgers' project? All signs point to another of those seasons, which will mean that he has delivered inconsistent football with little defensive backbone for 3 of the 4 seasons. And in the 1 it went "ok" he had one of the best attacks in the world, suarez on a mission, Sturridge in WC form and Sterling and Countinho helping them out. Defense was crap that year aswell.

I say "ok" for the 1 season as it was a ridiculous run of form that got them that far and a lack of tactical pragmatism threw the title away.

Liverpool were absolutely dominated in the middle by BFS, Carrick, Herrera and Blind and Smalling were on top of their defensive game. StilL..Pool looked absolutely horrid at times. For instance, I didn't even realize Firminho was on the pitch until about half an hour into the game. Seems like many players couldn't be arsed today.

LFC have no counter attack threat atm. Need to surround Benteke with pace but none out there other than Ibe, who didn't start, have any.

Thought Young foulled Clyne rather than the other way around but it's good to see Oliver finally knows what a penalty looks like

3 years wasted with Rodgers. milions spend. result? beaten by the weakest United side in recent hisory, with all respect.

Rodgers needs to go ASAP and we need to get Klopp before Chelsea does...

Liverpool were absolutely dominated in the middle by BFS, Carrick, Herrera and Blind and Smalling were on top of their defensive game. StilL..Pool looked absolutely horrid at times. For instance, I didn't even realize Firminho was on the pitch until about half an hour into the game. Seems like many players couldn't be arsed today.

Yep, they looked outnumbered everywhere. Firminho was crap, i realise he needs to get used to the league but that doesn't mean you can just stand still and be marked out of the game. Run into space!

im afraid the coach is crap more than the players...these players were fantastic in their previous teams... Balotelli moves out and scores in 3 minutes...

Ings is a striker, CF...scored last year at Old Trafford, playes as a winger now for LFC...

a kid who has pace more than anyone in our team, Lazar Markovic gets loaned out because while he was here he played as wing back...

Rodgers needs to go.

Since the last United match at home in March, this list of risible results - including our worst Wembley performance ever:

1-2 v defeat at home to United. As cowardly a performance as yesterday's
4-1 defeat away to Arsenal. And it could/should have been much worse.
0-1 win at Blackburn in the cup. Blackburn are currently in the bottom 3 in the championship.
2-0 win over John Carver's Newcastle. A team which nearly got itself relegated from a safe position due to the cretin left in charge.
2-1 defeat to Aston Villa at Wembley. Can't think of a worse performance in a major cup semi final. Villa were subsequently hammered in the final at Wembley.
0-0 draw at West Brom. A largely clueless performance. Insipid football against a defensive home team.
1-0 defeat at Hull. A team subsequently relegated. Terrible performance against a shite team.
2-1 win at home to OPR, another relegated team. Only when QPR were down to 10 men did we look like winning. Not good.
1-1 draw away to Chelsea. Didn't see the game. But think Chelsea were already celebrating being champions. Non-match for them. On the surface, a good result.
1-3 defeat at home Crystal Palace. Outplayed, outfought and out thought by Pardew. Palace should have won by more.
6-1 defeat away at Stoke. Worst performance I've seen from a Liverpool team, and that includes games with Souness & Hodge in charge. Embarrassing.
0-1 win away at Stoke. A great result given the context. A dogged, hard-fought win achieved through a stunning Coutinho goal. Wider context: Stoke currently bottom of the league.
1-0 win at home to Bournemouth. Dodgy goal but to be successful you occasionally have to scrape these sort of wins.
0-0 draw at Arsenal. Was away so didn't see the game. A good result at a venue were we historically struggle. By all accounts a very good first half performance.
0-3 defeat at home to West Ham. A copy of the Palace performance from last season. Dire performance, outfought and out thought this time by Billic. Could have been more than 3 for the Hammers.
3-1 defeat at Man United. As poor and gutless a first half I've seen from a Liverpool at Old Trafford, against an ordinary and pedestrian United. No shape, no fight, no tactical awareness.

Yesterday we had:
No Sturridge, our best goalscorer and Englands number 9

No Henderson, our club captain and driving force in midfield. Also, our only midfielder with any chance of playing the type of passes to Benteke's strengths

No Coutinho. Simply our best player and match winner.

Saying that, I do feel Rodgers is completely accountable.
I'm at a loss to understand the reasoning for the amount of players bought with high fees, only to then play out of position and then have them loaned or sold before proving themselves with long term 'runs' in our team in their obviously best position that EVERYONE else can see?

Rodgers has until Xmas in my opinion to get Liverpool contending for a top 4 slot.

If not, he will most likely be gone.

I'm not a deluded Liverpool fan living on our past. No team has a right to be successful.
I'm viewing us as a team that has spent a 'LOT' of money over the last 3 seasons and yet seemingly have gotten worse.

the fact we had no Sturridge means nothing, he will AGAIN be a new signing-like player for us...

Henderson and Coutinho, ok...BUT, we had new signing in Firmino and our midfield should cope without Henderson, doubt he would make that big of a difference...

we need to look at biger picture, and that is that even with Henderson and Sturridge, Rodgers had some realy bad results for a while now, with some very lucky wins only...

Yes we all are dissapointed, but no need to throw the handbags now Pipa, the season is long and we knew from the start that these games are tough games, even if we didn't play at our best. In Rodgers we trust, for now. :)

You're going to be fine, but I do wonder if the best XI will not include Benteke.

LFC have spent all of Rodger's time setting up for a nimble, quick, darting runs type forward - like Sturridge (or obv Suarez) which obviously Benteke is not.

I'd of thought the front would be best as:
---------Henderson-Milner--------------
--Can/Ibe----Coutinho---------Firminho-
-------------Sturridge-----------------

then why he bought him? why we bought Markovic for 20 milion...? to loan him out to Turkey...?

he is the coach, he chooses the players, he needs to know how to play them.

then why he bought him? why we bought Markovic for 20 milion...? to loan him out to Turkey...?

he is the coach, he chooses the players, he needs to know how to play them.

I'm with you on this. A manager imo should look at what positions need filling and who's the best option out there for such positions. Buying random players to be played out of position isn't right. You simply have voids that need to be filled correctly.

Looks like Rodgers is getting desperate, starting Sturridge having not played for a season. Even saying he is not match fit. Surely you then only put him on the bench to get 10-15min towards the end and slowly build it up. Now he needs to play 60min as subbing him at ht or earlier would look ridiculous. Atleast the formation is a diamond.

Still early pipa... Miracles do happen. Although, I had Liverpool struggling due to too many signing or signing that wouldn't contribute this season. It's still early and a good run could change any table standings.

Back
Top Bottom