Liverpool Thread

So, we are going to trigger Benteke's clause. I hope it works out, it can either turn out to be a Carroll or a Drogba. We are clearly paying an awful lot of money and there should be better value out there, but we have just been paid at least 20M more of what Sterling is worth and you know how it works.
In Benteke's favour, he is nothing like Carroll. He has pace, has scored tons of goals in different flavours. Thing is, he is kind of injury prone as well no ?

After QPR's share, right now that's basically a straight swap for Sterling

Trouble with other clubs knowing you have money

Last edited:
It's 32.5M and after QPR's share the net was 39.5. Not that it's relevant though, Aston Villa also has to give some part of the fee to Genk.
We were not going to be able to reduce the fee regardless of selling Sterling or not. Aston Villa know that those 32.5M are a lot of money, but it's the current going rate. Compare the fee with Bony's and Lukaku's for example. If we wanted better value for our money we should have gone to the continent.

Last edited:
I swore his asking price was £25m a season ago. Anyhow fees seem to be on the rise Alexis cost £35 although he`s 25yrs old.Today he would cost £45m or £55m for MCity ;)

It's good to finish up the main transfers now than wait till the end of the window and be stuck with mediocre signings.

I hope he does well - I feel he will be a good option.

Benteke,
Sturridge,
Ings,
Origi

2 good strikers , 2 good backups.

I think we have done decent business this summer.

Pool is taking big chances again with the quality of its signings. It truly feels like this season can go either way for you lot again. However, I think Benteke is better than most give him credit for. He doesn't have the pace of an Aguero, dribbling of Suarez or grace of Van Persie but his ability to hold up the ball is solid and conversion rate is decent. With proper service from the likes of Coutinho this could work out well.

It's good to finish up the main transfers now than wait till the end of the window and be stuck with mediocre signings.

I hope he does well - I feel he will be a good option.

Benteke,
Sturridge,
Ings,
Origi

2 good strikers , 2 good backups.

I think we have done decent business this summer.
Benteke is the only player that will have pressure to perform. I think the others can spark w/o the pressure which is a plus. Top signing either way :))

Benteke is the only player that will have pressure to perform. I think the others can spark w/o the pressure which is a plus. Top signing either way :))

I think he will be fine. We just need some kind of goalscorer who can provide 15-20 goals a season.
We had no chance of getting Cavani, Higuain, Reus or even Lacazette...all of them would prefer CL clubs.

So what choice did we have?
Benteke has PL experience and is a good striker, yeah a bit pricy, but he's definitely better than Carroll, Borini, Balotelli, Lambert and Aspas.

Top class center back required and we're good to go.

Squad has balance now.

Tactically, Brendan has had 2 seasons experience and should now know when to 'stick' and when to 'twist' in games.

If we finish top 4, we'll have done well.

If we can at least compete with top four finish, that should be our aim

I think he will be fine. We just need some kind of goalscorer who can provide 15-20 goals a season.
We had no chance of getting Cavani, Higuain, Reus or even Lacazette...all of them would prefer CL clubs.

So what choice did we have?
Benteke has PL experience and is a good striker, yeah a bit pricy, but he's definitely better than Carroll, Borini, Balotelli, Lambert and Aspas.

I meant the price tag could put pressure on him. I think he`s better then Lacazette . You can have a good run (season) in the Ligue1 ,but the EPL is a different beast imo. Lacazette would need a very good midfield that could hold and move the ball exceptionally well. He wouldn`t be able to cope w/ a congested backline,like Benteke.

I meant the price tag could put pressure on him. I think he`s better then Lacazette . You can have a good run (season) in the Ligue1 ,but the EPL is a different beast imo. Lacazette would need a very good midfield that could hold and move the ball exceptionally well. He wouldn`t be able to cope w/ a congested backline,like Benteke.

Yup the pressure will be there, I just hope he stays injury free.

The price is ridiculous. But i'm happy with it because, Genk gets 10 million euro.
Benteke is a fighter.
Give him a couple of months and he will come good. Also accept that he will have some awfull matches. Sometimes i think his twin brother plays (as far as i know he has no twin brother).

Benteke grew up in a backward neighbourhood in Liège (Droixhe) where Witsel, Chadli, Mirallas and Carcela also originiated from.
Unlike those other players, he wasn't picked up by a big football team (Standard) before he was 14 years old. It was Genk who saw something in him and soon he became a youth international in the same side as Hazard.
When he was older Standard bought him for big money from Genk, but he never played for them. He was loaned to Mechelen where i saw him first and where he was a disaster...he's still considered one of the worst players Mechelen ever had. Then Standard loaned him out to Kortrijk where he was fabulous. After a season Standard called him back but never used him. In the end Genk bought him back and the rest is history.

realy great attitude today against Brisbane.. Milner will be a top player for us...

Gomez looks realy confident and i think he will have bright future as well...

all in all good match, more positives than negatives...

not many players will refuse to get such money..still i think it doesn´t help you as a club to get players mainly for money reasons...

i know it is a job in the end...but for the team morale, it only adds pressure to players like Sterling etc..

if we sign Benteke, so be it... but he will start in LFC... Delph i doubt would start if you sign him... + Villa can buy new players for Benteke money to make Delph stay..

i don´t realy care about City transfers tbh ;)

Was watching the AFL here in Australia between 2 Adelaide teams and Brendan was sat in the stands watching. Is he picking up tips from other sports?

Rumours of Illaramendi coming is still swirling, but where would he play with our central midfield of Hendo, Allen, Milner, Lucas, Can with Teixeira and Rossiter as backup? Even Cou & Firminho can come in as supply some minutes there. Are we shipping somebody off or is he part of the Europa team?

Ibe played a good game for you guys last night. He still needs more game time. You could've conceded a couple though so I think you need better quality defenders.

I just hope Brendan doesn't go and call Ibe 'one of Europe's best young players' again!

I can see his agent using manager statements to force huge pay rises or moves away to oil rich clubs.

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

"It's about winning trophies”

He's a goalscorer so already a huge upgrade on Lambert, Mario and Crapini. Question is whether he can make the step up? Similar step up for him joining LFC as Sterling joining us :SMUG:

Back
Top Bottom