Liverpool Thread

How many young Brits fulfilled their potential ? Very few. Liverpool doesn't have to sell Sterling they can force him to stay and play , especially w/ Euro next summer. Its their reputation ..

Sterling is a good player , but hasn't done nothing special or outstanding by what you wrote. He can't handle the pressure of what Liverpool wants him to do. if you can't convince a player that the club is going in the right direction and when that fails you offer more money and that fails . Where do you go next?

What a silly post.
In a market like today's football market the assumption is that every young talent fullfills his potential.
He can't handle the pressure because he was the one outstanding player in a very Disappointing team for most of the season.

if i was Liverpool owner, he wouldn't go for less than 50 million even if this meant playing for the reserve team, this to make him an example for the rest of the squad.

Liverpool do hold the cards in Sterlings case. He is being paid 30.000 a week and was bought for 5mil. A pitance. They can afford to let him rot in the reserves. It will hurt him just as much, if not more, to not play for 2 seasons at the highest level.

Liverpool do hold the cards in Sterlings case. He is being paid 30.000 a week and was bought for 5mil. A pitance. They can afford to let him rot in the reserves. It will hurt him just as much, if not more, to not play for 2 seasons at the highest level.

That will make Liverpool look very bad though for potential future talent, no?

what will make Liverpool look bad is if they agree to sell under price any player who deciedes to talk about this thru an idiot agent....

the club has this in their hands, Sterling should focus on playing untill he wears the shirt... this is all his - his agent´s fault and mistake. Not the club fault.

apparently Southampton accepted Liverpools bid for Clyne now.....£12.5m.

great if true...so far we bought players who all can play in first 11...

Edit:

James Pearce ‏@JamesPearceEcho 24s25 seconds ago
Nathaniel Clyne set to sign a five-year contract at Anfield. Medical likely to be next week when he has returned from holiday.

Last edited:
Sterling is a good as gone. City obviously have him in their plans and Liverpool know that they will pay more to get their man. So it's just a waiting game. They will get an offer close to what they want and they will accept it fast to get rid.

Firmino is a very promising buy, now that I have actually read a bit about the player. I admit that the first I heard of him was a short video of him shooting a football into a basketball ring behind him with the text "Welcome to Manchester United" So I though that was a done deal but I guess some United fan just got a bit ahead of himself. Their sour grapes posts now are just icing on this delicious Brazilian themed cake.

Sterling will be a big loss, but i think with current players we can overcome this move... Most important thing is that Firmino and Coutinho know each other and could form good partnership in attack... still i think we will buy a CF who will play ahead of them in attack... I doubt Firmino will be lone striker with his passing talent.. and scoring from midfield...

That will make Liverpool look very bad though for potential future talent, no?

Could do, but at the same time they have shown they are willing to give a player a real chance to play regularly. Sterling and his agent have just fucked it up in how they have gone about it.

Sterling is losing 70.000 a week with this and if he does end up in the reserves will cost him. But tbh I would have sold him for the 40mil. Paying worldclass prices for potential is ridiculous, especially as his wages will be close to top drawer aswell. How much more is he going to be worth if he does develop further? Anyway, the sooner he is sold the better for everyone.

Sterling will be a big loss, but i think with current players we can overcome this move... Most important thing is that Firmino and Coutinho know each other and could form good partnership in attack... still i think we will buy a CF who will play ahead of them in attack... I doubt Firmino will be lone striker with his passing talent.. and scoring from midfield...

I hope we can get Bacca, he'll putting them in the bacca of the net :)

Bacca's agent:

“We have had lots of interest but so far there has been no official approach,” he told the Guardian.

“I spoke with Carlos on Wednesday night and we agreed we need a real solution. Clubs are telling him not to sign anything until they have made an offer but we are still waiting. Liverpool and another English club are among that have shown an interest but there are also clubs in Italy. What is clear is that they must meet the release clause but at this stage nobody has.”

“Sevilla are a good team who will play in the Champions League next season so it wouldn’t be a disaster to stay,” he said. “Carlos has other options to earn a lot of money in places like China or the United Arab Emirates but that would not fit in with what he is looking for.

“We are really looking at three things - number one is to have a happy family situation for his wife and son because he had a bad experience in Belgium. The second is to find a good team with a good project. Before he went to Chile, we wrote down a list of clubs that fit that description and Liverpool was on that list.

“The third question is the contract. He has a good salary in Sevilla but we know how much clubs in England can pay.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ca-sevilla-two-english-clubs?CMP=share_btn_tw

he actually is our best player (last season). and i mean it.

it might not have big effect now, but it depends on Firmino´s form..

he actually is our best player (last season). and i mean it.

it might not have big effect now, but it depends on Firmino´s form..

Nah i disagree with that. He's a good player, but last season he was infuriating, he only looked good sometimes because the rest of the players didn't turn up. The amount of clear cut chances that he missed was ridiculous at times and there were several games we would have won had the likes of Sturridge been in the same position.

He could become a top player, but realistically right now he's a quick young player who occasionally has flashes of brilliance and last season was given a bit of freedom to play up front, and when he did he was pretty poor.

I don't think we'll miss Sterling too much, Lallana will be like a new signing this season too as he missed most of last season, i've got a lot of faith that he's going to be a very good player for us.

i stand by my words...i would love him to stay, because i think he will be a top player for his new club...but i don´t want him to stay at all costs...

in ideal world he would be staying and playing with 7 on his back...but i guess it wasn´t to be... :(

he is the best player we had last season followed by Coutinho... remember when he had Suarez to play with...he was outstanding then... with top players around, he will be again...

Lallana is such strainge situation... where will he play in 3 man midfield i doubt... his only chance is to fight for his place with Firmino and Coutinho once our main striker is healthy...wich will be very difficult.

i think if we buy Clyne, we will play with 4 in the back again...and 3 in midfield..

i can see this being a great lineup with new signings already:

Mignolet
Clyne - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno
Can
Milner - Henderson
Firmino ------- Coutinho
Sturridge​

if you want to talk effectiveness, you have Suarez as a clear example, as much as I hate his scumbag attitude, but no can deny his role in the team.
he left LFC, they sinked.
he joined barça, they won without their usual style, or a good systematic ..
Suarez represented 50% of liverpool, and he is now 20% of barça.

but Sterling, he isn't even 10% of the starting eleven.

we sinked because him yes, but also because not having Sturridge healthy for almost whole season... and Balotelli being useless.

you underrate Sterling a lot...

Sterling, a 19 yr old at the time, pretty much carried LFC for half the season. Not 10%?

I've been critical of RS earlier this year and whoever signs him (most likely us) will overpay, esp. based on his current standing, but there's a bit of whitewashing going on about his career so far.
He has been frighteningly good at times. Was he better alongside Suarez and Sturridge? obviously, they freed up more space for him. Which 18/19 year old wouldn't look better with them than with Lambert and Balotelli? Will he look better still alongside Aguero, Silva, Toure? You'd think so. And I think his pace would give them more room to manoeuvre too

Sterling many times was played as false n.9 for us...he is no striker, i mean a target man, obviously...but his pace and tricks, eye for a pass make him ideal winger and better as attacking midfielder... play him behind a striker who can score and you will get most of him...wich is why he looked worse the last season, without Suarez...with whom he played almost blind passes in 13-14... he will be a success in any club with quality players like him...

as i said, i don´t want him to leave, but it looks like he will go...

i stand by my words...i would love him to stay, because i think he will be a top player for his new club...but i don´t want him to stay at all costs...

in ideal world he would be staying and playing with 7 on his back...but i guess it wasn´t to be... :(

he is the best player we had last season followed by Coutinho... remember when he had Suarez to play with...he was outstanding then... with top players around, he will be again...

Lallana is such strainge situation... where will he play in 3 man midfield i doubt... his only chance is to fight for his place with Firmino and Coutinho once our main striker is healthy...wich will be very difficult.

i think if we buy Clyne, we will play with 4 in the back again...and 3 in midfield..

i can see this being a great lineup with new signings already:

Milner better on the wing

IMO
-----------------Sturridge/(Bacca/Benteke?)
Milner/Firmino---Coutinho----Firmino/Milner
--------------Henderson--Can/(Delph?)
Moreno---------Sakho-------Skrtel----------Clyne
-------------------Mignolet

Could have a decent bench too with something like

GK, fullback, Lovren, Can, Lallana, Ibe, Bacca

I think it'd be difficult to get a Lacazette, Higuain or that level of ST with Sturridge about ...unless you went with 2 up

Last edited:
i don´t know about Milner, but i can see him more in midfield for us than wings... to replace Gerrard. He is universal player anyway..

don´t think we will buy Delph now he signed a new contract with Villa...

i read that we are after Moussa Sissoko from Newcastle...

Didn't know Delph signed a new deal. Just thinking of a more mobile CM than Can to rotate.

In Milner and Firmino you'd have 2 of the hardest working widemen in football. Milner may start the season in CM but I can't see him staying there. He has never impressed there with City. Too limited in terms of close control/short passing/technique, but out wide his intelligence and running ability are better utilised

Forgot about Ings and Origi

Last edited:
Liverpool agree £4m Coates sale to Sunderland as summer clearout begins

Uruguayan centre-back will make permanent move to the North East

By James Pearce

Liverpool's summer clearout is set to start with the £4million sale of Sebastian Coates to Sunderland.

The Reds have a deal in place with the Black Cats and the centre-back is expected to complete a permanent move to the Stadium of Light next week.

Coates, whose involvement in the Copa America ended when Uruguay lost to hosts Chile in the quarter-finals on Wednesday, spent last season on loan in the North East.

He was hampered by injuries and only played 13 games but enjoyed a run in the side under new boss Dick Advocaat towards the end of the campaign and helped keep them in the top flight.

Coates, who made 24 appearances for Liverpool following his £5million move from Nacional in the summer of 2011, is surplus to requirements at Anfield with Martin Skrtel, Mamadou Sakho, Dejan Lovren and Kolo Toure all ahead of him in the pecking order. The Reds also have Tiago Ilori and new signing Joe Gomez as other central defensive options.

Much of the focus has been on incomings at Anfield with Liverpool following up their £29million swoop for Hoffenheim’s Roberto Firmino this week by agreeing a £12.5million deal with Southampton for Nathaniel Clyne.

The England right-back is expected to be confirmed as the Reds’ sixth summer signing early next week.

However, Coates’ exit will be the first step towards off-loading the dead wood in Brendan Rodgers’ squad and boosting the coffers as Liverpool look to invest heavily in a proven striker with Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke, Sevilla’s Carlos Bacca and Zenit St Peterburg’s Salomon Rondon on their shortlist.

The Reds have registered their interest in Bacca but have yet to decide whether to trigger the Colombian’s £21.3million release clause. Benteke is Rodgers’ preferred option but Liverpool are unwilling to pay Villa’s £32.5million asking price.

The strike trio of Mario Balotelli, Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert, who managed just four league goals between them last season, are all available for transfer.

Jose Enrique and Luis Alberto are also set to be off-loaded with captain Steven Gerrard, Glen Johnson and Brad Jones having already departed as free agents.

Raheem Sterling will join that list if Manchester City meet Liverpool’s £50million valuation of the England international. City have yet to return with a third bid after their improved offer of £40million was rejected last week.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-agree-4m-coates-sale-9537022

a steal for Sunderland imo.

Yep, it is a steal. Good for them!

If he can stay injury-free, he'll definitely prove his worth. He can still turn out to be a real solid defender!

Last edited:
Rodgers is going to have a hard time this season. He needs to totally rebuild his team while selling a few flops like Balotelli and Lambert. Ricky Lambert still has some market value for mid-table premiership teams, but Balotelli is a total white elephant in the room and his value is quickly decreasing. Should go for what, 6m pounds?

Now they've just splashed the cash on Firmino who, quite frankly, I'm not convinced about. It was a lot of money too. Not to mention his official website is one of the worst things ever produced :LOL:

Clyne will be an improvement at RB, they'll probably have more balance without needing to accommodate Gerrard, I think a lot depends on how quickly Firminho settles along with Sturridge's injury record.

I think they'll 'challenge' for a CL spot depending on what we do.

I think there'll be a lot more balance in the team this season, last season we were obviously geared at the start to get the best out of Sturridge and when he got injured we were fucked trying to get a system that provided goals from the players we had left while covering positions for injured players like Flanagan, Lucas, Sakho, Lallana etc.

Looks like we'll be going back to a back 4 which is a good thing imo, Moreno in his first few games as left back in a back 4 looked confident and strong, then the formation shifted to 3 and he was in midfield, he looked lost.

My view of the squad as it is right now:

GK - Mignolet, Bogdan

Mignolet has proven himself to be a good keeper when the defence is settled, and Bogdan is a competent back-up imo.

Central defence - Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren, Toure, Wisdom, Gomez

Sakho is probably our best defender, he has his critics but he's more confident on the ball than the others, is quicker and tackles better. Skrtel can be a liability and I don't know how he doesn't give penalties away every week, Lovren had a poor season but is a capable defender and hasn't shown his best yet. Toure is essentially there as the old head to keep the younger players motivated, has good and bad games. Wisdom has been playing at full back while out on loan but is a good young centre half. Gomez is still very young, but has all the potential to go on and be England's first choice in years to come.

Left back - Moreno, Flanagan, Enrique?

Moreno will be first choice, and deserve a run as a proper left back. Flanagan is fucking nuts, but he gives everything in every game. Enrique is bizarre, he's always injured but a quick look at his Instagram or Twitter will show you how much of a team guy he is, he loves being at Liverpool and is very supportive, but that's not enough to keep him at Liverpool.

Right back - Clyne, Flanagan, Can

Clyne will obviously be the first choice right back as Manquillo won't be staying, Flanagan I imagine will be utilised more on the left but should Clyne get injured he's capable of filling in here, he was originally a right back anyway. Can can play here, but nobody really wants him to.

Defensive Midfield - Lucas, Can, Henderson

This is where we might have problems, most want Can to start here as it's clearly his best position and it looks like Lucas could be off, however around December/January when Lucas came back into the team the midfield looked far more assured, Gerrard and Henderson had more freedom to go forward with someone behind them they could trust, when it was just those two in the middle neither seemed to trust each other to defend. We could really do with signing a solid midfielder.

Central midfield - Henderson, Milner, Allen, Can, Rossiter, Lallana

Here we have a few choices, it seems as though Henderson (as he's likely to be captain) will be starting with either Milner or Lallana alongside him. Allen will once again find himself on the bench unless he has an amazing pre-season I feel. Milner is a good signing and will bring maturity and a bit of control to the midfield, he can also make runs and find gaps.

Left midfield - Ibe, Milner, Markovic, Coutinho

So here we clearly have a weak spot, but we may not actually play with wings anyway, Ibe looks very good but he's still massively unproven, Milner is proven here but might be less willing to play this position, Markovic also looks ok on the left wing, but would obviously prefer the middle of the park. Coutinho is capable of playing here, but is wasted.

Right midfield - Lallana, Markovic, Firmino?

Lallana and Markovic are both capable of playing on the right wing, Firmino too would be able, but would more than likely be wasted here. Might not be an issue though as the same with the left wing, we will more than likely play through the middle.

Attacking midfield - Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Markovic, Alberto?

This is potentially our strongest position, several choices with probably the two Brazilians being the first choice to play behind a lone striker.

Strikers - Sturridge, Ings, Balotelli, Markovic, Benteke?

So obviously when he's fit, Sturridge will start, with Ings and Balotelli providing back-up options should we switch to two up front. I like Ings a lot, but whether he's ready for a team like Liverpool is yet to be seen. It does look like we'll be signing Benteke, I'm honestly not his biggest fan, but he's a goalscorer, and if nothing else it'll stop the twat scoring against us.

So, This is the formation I can see us going for...

.................Mignolet

.........Skrtel............Sakho
Clyne.............................Moreno

....................Can

.......Henderson........Milner

....Firmino................Coutinho
.................Sturridge

Benteke is not exactly a goal scorer.
I obviously like him (i've seen him a lot "live").

He can be fantastic, but he can also be very infuriating. He is most of all a forward that brings upcoming team mates in good position. Yes he has scored quite an amount of goals, but he also misses a lot.

There will be no middle way with him: he will be the fan's hero or they will absolutely hate him. He Always gives his all, but at times he can be very clumsy, at other times he is technically gifted for such a big player. I've seen him at Mechelen (6 km form here), where the fans absolutely hated him and where he was useless and afterwards at Genk, where he was fantastic...

Back
Top Bottom