Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Missed penalty last saturday...? Resting him for this saturday...?

Or maybe Rafa is going for the "we play better without Gerrard formula..."

With Benitezs's system i can see Gerrard not being as important as he was under Houllier, but at the same time, he's my fave player and i would be crying my ass off if he left. I just love that kid's heart and desire.

Well a 2-1 win away at Portsmouth aint bad, the bad news was that Everton fucking won as well. Twats.

Football First for me tonight, thank you Sky

good win tonight, not too bothered about the shite cos they will go and fuck it up just a pity united couldn't do them tonight, we just need to make sure we win our games and we'll be ok

About time we won at Portsmouth! Saw the Everton Man Utd game last night (no LFC game here:( - just the two live games, that and Chelski/Arse) - entertaining for people kicking each other. Not much footy. Hilarious for watching Gary Neville (you know, the one who has a 15 year-old's moustache) lose it and twat the ball at some poor dear in the crowd 2 yards away from him. Still, we have a chance still, but ManUre winning would have been handy.

crayon said:
Hilarious for watching Gary Neville (you know, the one who has a 15 year-old's moustache) lose it and twat the ball at some poor dear in the crowd 2 yards away from him. Still, we have a chance still, but ManUre winning would have been handy.

wouldn't call it twatting the ball, there was no power behind it and the bitters in the stand made a meal of it, deserved to be sent off though, can't stand the cunt

Good result, Xabi is looking back to his best i'm glad he's comeback at this point of the season especially with the run-in of games we've got.

It may seem the Garcia could end up our top scorer this season...

Stringer Bell said:
You Liverpool fans have to give it up to Everton tho, for beating man u, it seems like there real serious this season!
Lets say they are showing "resolve". ;)

I have a feeling the 4th place will be decided on the last day of the
season....Bolton v Everton, Liverpool v Villa.....with all 3 needing wins to
make sure....

Bolton Everton being the last game obviously means that somebody has to drop points. Can't wait. I fancy us on Villa anyday.

What a shit result now I definitely don't think were getting 4th spot
icon_sad.gif

Why in gods name did he wack cisse on the wing AGAIN.

1-0 down hes a FUCKING STRIKER u knob.

Benitez has tactically gambled again, put us in the wrong mentality and we've thrown it away.

this 3-5-2/5-3-2 business needs to stay away and so does pellegrino, he's had yet another shocker of a game...

It's plain obvious that wednesdays game was what Benitez had his mind on....

It doesn't work if yuou keep f**king around with systems. Surely, with the amount of dough these managers get they should know that consistent formations are better?

i know we lost....but i think Everton still have a lot to do to win 4th spot.

Currently Everton are on 58 pts,
Liverpool on 54 pts,
Bolton on 54 pts

Next games:
Fulham v Everton (D)
Liverpool v Boro (W)
Bolton v Chelsea (D)

Everton v Newcastle (D)
Arsenal v Liverpool (D)
Portsmouth v Bolton (W)

Arsenal v Everton (L)

Bolton v Everton (D)
Liverpool v Villa (W)

Liverpool finish on 61 pts
Everton on 61 pts
Bolton on 59 pts

Everton need 5 pts to make sure of CL football from 4 games.
I reckon they'll get 4.
Liverpool to knick it on GD.
It can happen....keep the faith!!!

I can't see Everton drawing with Newcastle, but I think at least the end of season battle will be interesting. Great analysis though matthewsss.

matthewsss, everton need 6 points to guarantee 4th as we can get 63 points if we win our remaining games and our goal difference is currently +5 better than theirs,apart from that i think you more or less got it spot on, i still think they'll struggle to get 4 points from their last games but the biggest problem obviously is our form, 3 games left and 2 of them follow cl games which we are normally poor after so there's a trend we need to buck as well

as for the starting lineup yesterday i can sort of understand why rafa picked that side, it was going to be a physical game against a team fighting against relegation, they'd kicked lumps out of baros and a couple of other players at anfield in november and did the same yesterday which ended up with baros limping off and it could easily have been more players which would have left us fucked for the chelsea game if not the rest of the season (or whats left of it), i also think the reason cisse played on the right was an attempt to exploit space down the right with his pace, palace played with a lot of men behind the ball so there wasn't much space down the middle also morientes (one of the best headers of the ball) isn't getting much service so i also think rafa was hoping cisse could get crosses in for him

one thing it has confirmed though is the squad left by houllier just isn't good enough, we have a good core of gerrard, alonso, carragher, hyypia, finnan, cisse, garcia, riise & morientes then some decent squad players in baros, hamann, pongolle & warnock, i'm not too sure about the 'keepers as dudek is prone to errors, kirkland is injury prone and really needs to play a full season to prove he's good enough and carson has the potential to become a great player but at the moment he's young and inexperienced, the rest to me are just average which has shown with the inconsistent performances over recent seasons, this season we'll have played 59 games (60 if we get to cl final) and there's no way you can play that ammount of games with a squad that only contains 13 or 14 players who can be considered great/good and the rest just average

for the past 2 seasons we've been involved in a scramble for 4th place, 2 seasons ago we threw it away (losing 2-1 to man city at anfield) which left us needing to beat chelsea at stamford bridge, last season we finished 4th down to newcastles incompetence as much as our own form, i for one never expected this season to be anything different, rafa only had a couple of months to get to know the players and assess the squad, to have a big clear out before the start of the season would have been rash and could have done more harm than good, add to that the transfer window closing in september means you can't go out and buy players whenever you want so he was basically stuck with the same squad that has struggled for the past 2 seasons apart from the 4 players he brought in and the players that were sold/loaned out

rafa will have had a good idea for a few months now about who he wants to keep, who no longer has a future at the club and who he wants to bring in for next season (as i've already said the transfer window means you can't go out and replace players whenever you want) and i expect to see big changes over the next 2 seasons, if we don't qualify for the cl next season then i don't think it will be the big disaster that some people think it will be financially (although i will miss the great european nights at anfield) as reaching the semis this season will more or less have covered what we would have earned playing in the group stages next season plus add to that any money from a decent run in the uefa cup (newcastle have played 12 games this season up to the qf's so a similar run would provide us with funds from 6 home games plus tv money)

i just think it's unfair for people (whether they are fans or the media) to criticise the manager, he's taken over an average squad, had little time to work with them before the transfer window closed, when we have played well the footballs been good to watch and we've proven that we are capable of doing well in europe, there's no way we'd have beaten juventus with houllier in charge, those who are complaining about the failure to finish 4th (presuming we don't overtake everton) need to stand back and take a look at whats happened over the past 15 years or so, we've been erratic in the league for a long time now (except 2001/02) anyone who thought it was going to be an instant fix this season was wrong but one things for sure, rafa knows what he wants and how he wants the team to play, he just needs time to mould the squad into his own

fishcake, you say there is no way we would have beaten Juventus with Houllier....I don't really agree with this as he reached his peak in 2001 and remember we beat Roma 2-0 away amongst others.

However, I'm certainly glad he's gone as we were stagnating and at times last season (Yeovil, Portsmouth, Southampton) we were an absolute joke. Rafa has improved things with limited time and money and the rhythm we play with at times, is incredible and reminds me of 87-88. Roll on next season. As you say fishcake, the spine of the side is there and altho easier said than done, once we replace the flotsam and jetsam, we moght have a side to fear again at last.

One passing thought though. I always thought of GH as a muddler or Mr Excuse.

yeah houllier reached his peak in 2001/02, since then the team has grown stagnent, if you look back over our european results the 2-0 win over roma was probably the last good result under houllier, the following season we failed to qualify from a cl group that included basel and spartak moscow and were totally outplayed twice by rafa's valencia (having said that how we failed to beat basel at anfield is beyond me as we battered them but just couldn't score) we eventually went out of the uefa cup in the qf to celtic after being outplayed at anfield

last season we were poor again and went out in the uefa cup 4th round to marseille after failing to beat them at anfield (marseille's equaliser in the 2nd leg wasn't a penalty though) and i'm still adamant that we wouldn't have got as far in the cl this season under houllier, maybe with his team of 3 or 4 seasons ago but definately not with the squad he left rafa

and your right about houllier's excuses, it got to the point where i felt embarrassed watching him, rafa is completely different and we win as a team and lose as a team, must admit though he looked rattled on saturday and that's the first time i've heard him blame a referee but he did have a point as they kicked lumps out of us at times yet somehow we picked up 3 more bookings

FUCK!!! Will the real 'Pool please stand up. . no wait. .I am afraid of which 'pool that is. :( ;)

MathewSSS, long time no speak bro. Nice breakdown of the remaining games. But right now, middlesbrough look to be a dangerous side, and i dont like the way that game smells right now.

Fishcake, you make some excellent points. the Champs League Semis are much more than anyone expected this year. . or maybe even next year. And to have gotten this far, and earned 30 million in the process, plus UEFA money next year is gonna open up some transfer possibillities. *and i am NOT even mentioning the possible sale of Gerrard. lol*

But you're right. With a decimated team, broken stars, and thin attack line, Rafa has done an incredible job of creating a European force that got this far. I really think next year could be something special, with or without Gerrard. Especially if Aimar comes in.

The latest rumor is that baraja is a possible target of Rafa's.

Good new...Kewell is in the squad for tomorrow.

In other news - I hear that the FA tried to get UEFA to come to a deal that would have 5 English teams in the CL next season if 'that predicament' happens, but it was rejected.

Seems to me like HK can't be bothered for the league, but he's "fit" for a CL semi....I smell something here.....at least it might motivate him to play well.

Sabac Red said:
Good new...Kewell is in the squad for tomorrow.

In other news - I hear that the FA tried to get UEFA to come to a deal that would have 5 English teams in the CL next season if 'that predicament' happens, but it was rejected.

Im sorry, where is the good news?

He's got a lot of work to do to get in our good books, that's for sure....

lol the FA have announced that if Liverpool win the CL, they will NOT get automatic qualification because it will not be fair for 4th place. If Everton come 4th, they would have been kicked out for the 2nd time because the 1st time they won the league and the ENglish ban took place. So if Everton come 4th, they will go to the CL.

Sorry to spoil it.

Back
Top Bottom