Liverpool Thread

depends on many things, quality, age, marketing value etc...

you can´t be so simple with stating who is worth how much...

20 year old Sterling is more valuable to any club LONG TERM than 30 year old Ronaldo for example...or older bigger name player..

Ronaldo will win you things, he'll win matches, he'll score a fuckload of goals. Sterling will not do any of those things right now.

Ronaldo will win you things, he'll win matches, he'll score a fuckload of goals. Sterling will not do any of those things right now.

yes, that was a comparsion about the value LONG TERM as i wrote... Ronaldo will retire in 3-4 years maybe... Sterling in 13-14...

Ronaldo is a phenom, if he chooses to continue he'll still be better or more 'effective' than Sterling at 35 IMO.

PIPA, a young Sterling isn't even better than Ronaldo's left leg.
Age isn't the only thing that matters, when you're proven to be top level, then we talk big money, right now Sterling isn't even among EPL best young talents, and I doubt that he will ever be.

yes, that was a comparsion about the value LONG TERM as i wrote... Ronaldo will retire in 3-4 years maybe... Sterling in 13-14...

But realistically what has Sterling ever done to prove he's going to be a top level player? He's quick and sometimes gets into good positions, he wastes an awful lot of chances and his decision making is poor, his work ethic is also very suspect.

Sterling could end up going the way of Wright-Phillips or Aaron Lennon, decent enough, quick and scores a few goals, but never reached the levels expected early on.

lol, i made comparsion with Ronaldo but it goes to show how age is also important in price of player...

of course Ronaldo now is better than Sterling and will play maybe untill he is 40 like Giggs, but still, if Liverpool lose Sterling, they should realy demand 40 milion for him at least, because english players are over rated and if United payed 30 mil. for Shaw, who is a DEFENDER from SOUTHAMPTON, we should be aiming to sell Sterling for 40 mil. he is our best performer and only 20 years old... if someone buys him, they can have his services for years..and will have his best years, unlike LFC, who are now only seeing him as still very young player who already is one of the better players of the league.

PIPA, a young Sterling isn't even better than Ronaldo's left leg.
Age isn't the only thing that matters, when you're proven to be top level, then we talk big money, right now Sterling isn't even among EPL best young talents, and I doubt that he will ever be.

i don´t like Sterling but saying this is unreal...that is simply not true...

he was starting for England at world cup a year ago...OF COURSE he is one of the best young players in EPL...nobody can deny that. He is the best player Liverpool have now attacking wise. except Coutinho, but he can´t play as a striker...while Sterling can.

Liverpool need better owners.
FSG is of no use now that FFP is being relaxed.
Their policy of buying young players will just not work unless we remove all expectations of top-4.

You guys are way too impatient.
The only thing that can make a permanent top 4 team of Liverpool is an Abramovich style Sugar daddy.

One can wonder if that is the best thing in the long term.

What will happen to City and Chelsea once Mansour and Abramovich leave? I can see this clubs becoming relegation fodder very quick, because they don't have enough traditional foundation to build upon.

Clubs like Liverpool and Spurs are now lesser off than both Chelsea and City, but they have more tradition and a bigger fan base. Right at the moment the Sugar daddy clubs are vastly superior to Liverpool and Spurs, but in the long term Spurs and Liverpool will are sure to be on their current level, which isn't that bad.

Sadly for Liverpool they had a lesser team when the big money came into football. If EPL was started in the 80's then Liverpool was like Man Utd now and vice versa...

Both clubs are well led, but the timing favourite Man Utd, because then they had a wonder generation of players and a fantastic manager while Liverpool had a lesser spell...

So be carefull for what you wish...

After this debacle of a game, anything can happen. I'll list my favourites:
- Rodgers sacked, Surely it's not "150% staying" right Brendan?
- Mignolet & Skrtel Sold
- Gerrard U turn, saying "No way I'm leaving like that!"
- Probably some people in the management will be fired.
- Sterling Sold (Minimum 35-40 million quid)

Totally, absolutely appaling display in the last day of the season, and Gerrard's last game. I thought they couldn't get any worse since the Palace defeat at Anfield, but boy the largest LFC defeat in the Premiership era?

Either way, thanks for everyone for the season, both supporters and critics of LFC. We'll need some time off to let nature takes its course and see where we are near the start of the season.

Last edited:
fuck me, so glad i didn´t waste my time watching that...

last game for Stevie...

challenging times for LFC supporters...

You guys are way too impatient.
The only thing that can make a permanent top 4 team of Liverpool is an Abramovich style Sugar daddy.

One can wonder if that is the best thing in the long term.

What will happen to City and Chelsea once Mansour and Abramovich leave? I can see this clubs becoming relegation fodder very quick, because they don't have enough traditional foundation to build upon.

Clubs like Liverpool and Spurs are now lesser off than both Chelsea and City, but they have more tradition and a bigger fan base. Right at the moment the Sugar daddy clubs are vastly superior to Liverpool and Spurs, but in the long term Spurs and Liverpool will are sure to be on their current level, which isn't that bad.

Sadly for Liverpool they had a lesser team when the big money came into football. If EPL was started in the 80's then Liverpool was like Man Utd now and vice versa...

Both clubs are well led, but the timing favourite Man Utd, because then they had a wonder generation of players and a fantastic manager while Liverpool had a lesser spell...

So be carefull for what you wish...

SORRY this is ridicilous, we could have been fourth this season easy, if we manage to fight in some few games more than we did... we were without striker the whole season and were only few points bellow United..

what happend then is just a joke..

The responsibility is with the manager at the end of the day.
The season has ended shambolically.
Rodgers has to be replaced with a more experienced manager
and we need to get better signings.

I don't care if we get sugar daddy owners. It's not doing Chelsea any harm.
Abramovic is still there for 10-12 years now, for crying out loud !

The Glazers are still there and did the right thing in getting a great manager in Van Gaal
and backing him with quality players.

The Glazers are cannibalising United.

Pipa, i was saying a PERMANENT top 4 club. As a Spurs fan i also think we could have ended in the top 4 this season if we hadn't thrown points away. But in the end United deserved their 4th place since they beat us in a straight duel where they were by far the superior team.

Both Liverpoll and Spurs will occasionally end in the top 4 if they have a perfect season or a world class player (Suarez, Bale), and if one of the top 4 have a nightmare season. Otherwise they will end between 5th and 7th place.

If a better manager is available, FSG will get rid of Rodgers.
They're not sentimental, it's business.

Klopp is probably the only manager they will sack Rodgers for.
If they can't find anyone better than Rodgers then they will keep him for another year.
But he's going to be charged with getting back into the top-4.
How's he going to do it with the current transfer policy ?

I've read somewhere that they will bring in a DoF and if Rodgers doesn't want that,
then he will be asked to step down.

Either way, if we get a new boss, it has to be done soon before the summer starts
and all the transfers/preparation starts again.

it is more complicated than that..they need to find someone who is fiting their money ball phylosophy... they will not allow to spend much again imo...without results...and the main point why BR is not sacked yet, is that he signed long term contract last season i think...they will need to pay him out of it...

it is more complicated than that..they need to find someone who is fiting their money ball phylosophy... they will not allow to spend much again imo...without results...and the main point why BR is not sacked yet, is that he signed long term contract last season i think...they will need to pay him out of it...

I feel this money-ball nonsense is not going to work in European football.
Klopp is the only manager in recent history who did not spend fortunes getting a team to the League Title and close to CL success with Dortmund.
I can't think of anyone else who has done this in any of the leagues.

Why are they trying some formula which has a 1/100 chance in working.
This is why I feel FSG should sell of the club to a sugar-daddy.
The only way to compete with the top-4 or any top European giant is big money.

Big money = big manager = big players = big trophies = happy fans

The only way we can compete with clubs that have a lot more financial muscle than us is by being more clever than them. We have to be a creative club that focus on innovation and is not afraid of taking risks. That's what Henry had in mind when he bought the club.
Thing is though we are nothing like that. We first hired Commolli as a DOF, a guy who has a reputation of being an analytics fanatic but then people that really know about statistics like the Brentford's owner say he is clueless about stats and science.
At the moment we have people that crunch numbers but they don't get pass Rodgers.
I don't know if anyone here read Moneyball (I highly recommend it to, if not), but Henry had a lot of problems when running his baseball clubs. At the same time as he was employing analytics to gain money betting on baseball, he was letting old school people take major decisions on his club.

This is a great article if you are interested in analytics: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjylland-matthew-benham

The only way to compete with megabucks in the medium term is stability and development.

United won despite having lower wage bills than Chelsea and City in the majority of the past 10 seasons. This is the first season we've had the highest wages.

Only reason we did that was cause of Fergie, and making the most out of a limited squad. We got 89 points in 12/13 and a list of players making the most apperances includes Evra, Vidic, Evans, Cleverley, Hernandez and Tony Valencia. Hardly big buys, but all had been stuck with through several seasons.

I actually think LFC will be fine next season as long as they stick with what they have. This year was always going to be a 'come down', last year pretty much everyhting went right (slips aside). Next year there'll be less pressure, and all the signings will have had time to bed in.

There are problems with the squad, but all squads have problems. For 4 months you were the form team in the country if not Europe. Wheels came off at the end, but it'd be crazy to dismiss the good.

You can't spend to compete with City/Chelsea. You have to do it another way. United are trying that method now, and I think we'll fail. Coaching and stability - that's what is needed.

Utd had the highest wages last season as well.

I agree tho that LFC are right to stick with Rodgers. He's a bit Brentish/cringeworthy at times but he's a good coach. With Sturridge/a striker this season you would have got 4th. The low GD is an indication of that.

It will be tough tho, the top 4 will all outspend LFC this summer. Doesn't makkke it impossible but you need to do a lot better in the transfer market this time around. Sell Sterling and buy a couple of foreign players a la Soton.
Milner will be a good signing for you (he's a player you don't properly appreciate until he plays for you) so at least you're heading in the right direction not spending huge amounts on domestic players.

we are after Benteke, who is certain to move from Villa, while Villa chase Adebayor to replace him...

i don´t care anymore, don´t know nothing about Benteke, maybe seen him few times but that´s it...

his goals would make us CL team this season though...

Given that we won't be able to attract top-4-ish players,
then the next bet would be:

Benteke
Milner
Alex Song
another striker
another midfielder

We really need a strong spine of players with character.

The only way to compete with megabucks in the medium term is stability and development.

United won despite having lower wage bills than Chelsea and City in the majority of the past 10 seasons. This is the first season we've had the highest wages.

Only reason we did that was cause of Fergie, and making the most out of a limited squad. We got 89 points in 12/13 and a list of players making the most apperances includes Evra, Vidic, Evans, Cleverley, Hernandez and Tony Valencia. Hardly big buys, but all had been stuck with through several seasons.

I actually think LFC will be fine next season as long as they stick with what they have. This year was always going to be a 'come down', last year pretty much everyhting went right (slips aside). Next year there'll be less pressure, and all the signings will have had time to bed in.

There are problems with the squad, but all squads have problems. For 4 months you were the form team in the country if not Europe. Wheels came off at the end, but it'd be crazy to dismiss the good.

You can't spend to compete with City/Chelsea. You have to do it another way. United are trying that method now, and I think we'll fail. Coaching and stability - that's what is needed.
Stability is important but that's when you are operating correctly. We can't keep wasting money on the likes of Lovren and Lallana and have the signings that can actually work once they have coped with the change rotting on the bench or playing out of position.
Important changes must be made on the way we are operating if we want things to improve.

About Milner, Ings and Benteke, I like all of those signings. I've always rated Milner and Benteke. I've seen almost nothing of Ings, but for the reported 5M looks promising. Are we ever going to sign a defender or a midfielder that can defend though ?

Last edited:
Stability is important but that's when you are operating correctly. We can't keep wasting money on the likes of Lovren and Lallana and have the signings that can actually work once they have coped with the change rotting on the bench or playing out of position.
Important changes must be made on the way we are operating if we want things to improve.

About Milner, Ings and Benteke, I like all of those signings. I've always rated Milner and Benteke. I've seen almost nothing of Ings, but for the reported 5M looks promising. Are we ever going to sign a defender or a midfielder that can defend though ?

Exactly, for all of FSG's policy of not spending on big money players, we have wasted tremendous money on some average players. The likes of Markovic, Can may get better, but I'm not too sure about Lovren, Lallana who are already not that young and developing.

Back
Top Bottom