Liverpool Thread

I tend to agree.
But would you have written this for Alan Shearer with Newcastle or lampard with Chelsea?
Of course not, it's that ridiculous rivalry.

Or Scholes who went without any fanfare whatsoever and Giggs,the most decorated player in the history of the league who retired with a press release after the season had finished
Could you envisage any other club doing this for a player leaving to play elsewhere?
I suppose when you haven't got actual trophies to celebrate you take any celebrations you can get. Look on the brightside though, somebody else will get a chance to take free kicks and penalties now.

what is wrong with celebrating career of players like Gerrard, Carragher etc...? They won trophy´s and carried the club on their own for years...they are the icons of this club.. at least Gerrard didn´t slept with his brothers wife, maybe that is why Giggs went quiet... i doubt any of Gerrard or Carra will get statues like Bergkamp or Henry did though... but what is wrong having a celebration for long term captain who was icon of an era...

You've obviously never heard the Gerrard rumours then and about the court injunction. In all seriousness though, a good player who should have retired a couple of years ago before his legs went.

except his last season he almost won, also due to him playing well in CM-DM role..

the slip could happend to anyone.. that doesn´t change things.. his legs might be gone but he shouldn´t definetly retire years ago.. maybe he should retire from NT sooner, but not retire at all... he will imo have few good years in MLS now..

Or Scholes who went without any fanfare whatsoever and Giggs,the most decorated player in the history of the league who retired with a press release after the season had finished
Could you envisage any other club doing this for a player leaving to play elsewhere?
I suppose when you haven't got actual trophies to celebrate you take any celebrations you can get. Look on the brightside though, somebody else will get a chance to take free kicks and penalties now.

I loved both Scholes an Giggs.

But.

Scholes went in silence, because that was Scholes (a player who was 10 times better than Gerrard imHo). At the time he hated publicity.
Giggs went in silence because his carreer end was indeed rather shamefull...imo he is one of the best EPL players ever (also much better than Gerrard), but imagine John Terry having slept with his brother's wife?

I think everybody let Giggs of the hook (and rightly so, we should talk about football and not their private lifes), this would never have been the same for players like Barton (not so good as Giggs of course) or Terry (also one of the best EPL players ever).

This end of carreer months for Gerrard were imo a serious handicap for Liverpool.

Gerrard is gone now, give him his statue (literalluy or metaphorically) and move on Liverpool. I have feeling that Gerrard being gone will be a good thiong for Liverpool, it means a fresh start.

He deserved his sendoff after all these years, the good the bad the throphies the loyalty. For everyone else who disagrees doesn't have to watch, nobody's forcing you.

And Gerrard's leave will be a blessing in disguise. He might not want to admit it, but he left because I think he felt it's the best interest for Liverpool FC. You could see it this last season that he doesn't have the legs even when the heart is still fighting on. He's going 35 and he's not getting any better. Going out gracefully as he did was the best thing he can do and for LFC.

Gerrard is, along with Vieira, Keane, Makelele, Toure, Lampard, Scholes, Alonso, one of the very top CMs the PL has seen.
You can see why he had more of a fanfare than all the others, He was a one man club and, unlike Giggs and Scholes, the long time leader and captain of said club, a club that was in a relatively unsuccessful period compared to recent past, and the trophies they did win were in no small part down to him. He dragged his team to trophies on occasions.

With that said, it's the right time to let him go.

I hope we lose the last game at Stoke and miss out on the Europa League.
Southampton, Spurs - it's all yours, please take it.

That's the last competition we need to be in. It messes up with our league because of the Thursday games.

If we have only EPL and FA/Cap cups, then Rodgers or whoever will have enough time to make the team better to do attempt the top-4.

CFPPVKUWoAApDpV.jpg:large

for 12 milions, hell yes.

don´t agree with not wanting to play EL, this is the only chance for EUROPE for us atm.. we should be wanting to play there imo.

Great post!

Hope you enjoy the game as much as I did!!

And you think Stevie is the greatest LFC player of all time, well I suppose if you are 17-25 I can see why you would believe the hype.

Even without my United bias the name of the greatest Liverpool player would roll off my tongue before someone finished the sentence, I really cant see how anyone would or could say Stevie is/was/could dream of being a better player than Kenny...

It's an opinion. Not fact. You're entitled to yours and me mine.

I'm also 40 and am not naive with hype.

Why do I have a feeling that if with that kind of headline actually makes me think we are NOT gonna get him?

Jovetic has huge injury problems, can't see it happening.
Will be an interesting summer though to see what happens. Will FSG give Rodgers more cash
or will they get someone new?

For that price, most clubs including Liverpool should take him.

If he can avoid unfortunate luck with injuries, he is a massive talent!

For that price, most clubs including Liverpool should take him.

If he can avoid unfortunate luck with injuries, he is a massive talent!

I agree that he's a great talent, but we already have an injury-prone Sturridge.
So it's too big a risk to have your two strikers to be injury-prone.

Ugh, that sucks re: Sterling. Looked a talent for a few months, but really should stay where he is. Guaranteed to start every match, has a system that is conducive to his talents and is a kid.

Carragher is so annoying he sounds like he`s speaking while someone is clutching his balls. Stop moaning and speak from the pit of your stomach ffs!

Yes, Sterling is 20yrs old, money at this stage don`t mean much. He can`t be a leader for Liverpool and that amount of money is suggesting otherwise.
Liverpool suits:'Hey, Sterling you think you can motive the others (24-27yrs olds) to win us the league or challenge? We offer you loads of money.'(pressure cooker):SMUG:

This is not Cousin Benson from British Gas, the reality is, He see Liverpool going back and many players won`t be chomping at the bits to play w/ Coutinho imo . He`s a good player and no disrespect . Sterling has given his reps free reign to start a war .He knows how stubborn Liverpool could be and so the media war begins.

The thing with Sterling is, where is he going to go to and get games? Utd? Unlikely unless a silly amount of money is offered (come on Ed!). Arsenal have an abundance of attacking midfielders so no need, not when they have other parts to strengthen. City? Really don't know. Chelsea don't need him.

He should be one of the top earners though, other then him and Coutinho, there isn't much attacking quality at the club. But with 100k a week it makes him one of the big earners.

Carragher is so annoying he sounds like he`s speaking while someone is clutching his balls. Stop moaning and speak from the pit of your stomach ffs!

Yes, Sterling is 20yrs old, money at this stage don`t mean much. He can`t be a leader for Liverpool and that amount of money is suggesting otherwise.
Liverpool suits:'Hey, Sterling you think you can motive the others (24-27yrs olds) to win us the league or challenge? We offer you loads of money.'(pressure cooker):SMUG:

This is not Cousin Benson from British Gas, the reality is, He see Liverpool going back and many players won`t be chomping at the bits to play w/ Coutinho imo . He`s a good player and no disrespect . Sterling has given his reps free reign to start a war .He knows how stubborn Liverpool could be and so the media war begins.

The thing is though, Sterling sometimes hints that he might be a great player in the future, but those moments are getting rarer. The second half of the season he has looked like he doesn't give a shit. Last season when he broke into the side he looked fearless and energetic. This season he has looked out of his depth when asked to lead the line, maybe creating a couple of chances but not finishing them.

He could possibly be a fantastic player, but right now he is nowhere near that, he's not ready for the top sides yet in my opinion, not at all. So good luck to him, I think most people are agreed that it would be in his best interests to stay at Liverpool and develop his game further by playing every week, but if he wants a big pay day and to sit on City's bench that's entirely up to him, I won't miss him.

Football agents have a lot of influence on players over the last 15 years.

This 'profession' has become so very lucrative.

These people go rarely unnoticed or never seen yet all blame for dealings and decisions are burdened by the player publicly and in the media.

Gone are the days when players just loved to play regardless of a contracts finer points.

Football is a business first, and a sport second.

I do feel sorry for the lad but if he goes or stays, he will forever be tarnished with this episode of his career be it his fault or not.

The thing is though, Sterling sometimes hints that he might be a great player in the future, but those moments are getting rarer. The second half of the season he has looked like he doesn't give a shit. Last season when he broke into the side he looked fearless and energetic. This season he has looked out of his depth when asked to lead the line, maybe creating a couple of chances but not finishing them.

He could possibly be a fantastic player, but right now he is nowhere near that, he's not ready for the top sides yet in my opinion, not at all. So good luck to him, I think most people are agreed that it would be in his best interests to stay at Liverpool and develop his game further by playing every week, but if he wants a big pay day and to sit on City's bench that's entirely up to him, I won't miss him.

Sum'it up perfectly ! Makes us wonder whose shop window has he been playing for? Suarez was a beast til the end to give Barça the extra push to get the deal done.

Sum'it up perfectly ! Makes us wonder whose shop window has he been playing for? Suarez was a beast til the end to give Barça the extra push to get the deal done. I 'd hate to think he's been shite for his agenda.

Back
Top Bottom