Liverpool Thread

A discussion between Liverpool and United fans will always be subjective.

Rodgers was never as good as people made him last season, just like he isn't as bad as people think he now is. Moyes is a very manager, he just made the mistake to go to Man Utd at the wrong time. Until now Van Gaal isn't the biggest success either...he got plenty of money and look where United are...But he is forgiven because he is a big name.

All in all manager/coaches are far less important than most people think...They can do much wrong, but i'm not sure if they are very influential in success.

In Belgium Wilmots is considered a hero. I happen to know some people from around our national team. The players are fed up with Wilmots and insiders think that unless the Fa appoint a new coach, this team has had it's best days...

I agree wholeheartedly Gerd.

The treatment Moyes received last season was pretty bad and by the end of his short time at United the supporters had also had enough.

Last seasons Brendan Rodgers/liverpool media love-in was cringe worthy My post was a reaction to the FACT that moyes united had won more games in one bad season than rodgers liverpool had done in over two seasons (including the world famous last season). But rather than look at Rodgers inability it seems to be Mario's fault and the supporters and the media seem comfortable with that.

I do not think Van Gaal is a success, how can he be in such a short time.

I would make that opinion on him when he is in his third season and has had time to build a team, if, at that time, the team is heading towards December and is say in 11th position, 5 points away from relegation and 11 points off second place, then I would feel confident in making the opinion of Van Gaal.

I personally feel Man Utd took too early in their decision to sack Moyes. He needed at least 2 seasons to shape the team.

Man Utd's decision to remove Moyes, as soon as it was mathematically impossible to qualify for the Champions league, was taken for financial reasons in my opinion, not football.

But seeing as this is the Liverpool thread though, my opinion is Rodgers will get this and probably next season to secure the side as a top four regular or I believe he will be moved on for Gerrard/Carra combo.

I think Rodgers is a good manager with a good style of play
It'd be madness to sack him.
As Gerd said, he's not as good as he was made out to be last year and he's not as bad as results suggest this.

Last year he had the no.1 or no.2 best striker in the world (some prefer Suarez, some prefer Aguero) fit all season and bang in form partnered with another excellent striker in Sturridge. You can't fail to score goals with those 2, however, Rodgers chose to surround them with pace in Sterling and Coutinho and really ramp up the attacking threat. For that he deserves credit because if he'd gone more safe you may have lost points to draws and not even been in the position to win the title at the end.
Obviously our better defence paid in the end with LFC trying to overcome the GD at Palace. If LFC had not gone al out attack all season they wouldn't have even had the slim chance of overturning our GD.

Anyway, the main criticism I have of him is in the transfer market. He's bought quite a few crappy unknown foreign lads who have been a complete waste of money. The only successful signings he's made so far that spring to mind are Sturridge and Coutinho and both of those were quite well known.
Time will tell what this season's transfers are like. Moreno looks decent. Can looks average.

lie-down-try-not-to-cry-cry-a-lot.png

Sturridge has to be seen just as a plus player from now on. The plan of building a team around him has to be canceled and we need to buy a serious striker in January (is there one available ?).
BTW, who was the genius who decided to renew his contract a few weeks back paying him 150k per week ? A player that is injured all the time can't be paid that kind of money. As good as he is when fit, there is nothing that suggests that this trend can change and he could be reliable

Last edited:
Divock Origi will stay at Lille till the end of the season.
And that is the best thing for his future. Liverpool would expect way too much from him. You can't expect a 19 year old new player to be as decisive as Sturridge and Suarez.

From what i've seen of him, he has every thing to become a much better player than both Lukaku and ven Benteke.

What a mess Liverpool are.

Just shows how good Suarez and Sturridge were together.

really??????

last season lfc managed to punch way above their weight and with no other competitions to play managed to mount their first title push since 2008.

Also the previous years 1st 2nd and 3rd teams all change their managers, which has never happened before....

maybe opportunistic isnt the right word, but its the first word that springs to mind...

What did Brendan say about spurs last season?

Oh yeah..

"Tottenham were a team maybe looking to challenge for the league this season. They spent £100-odd million on a group that was set up to challenge. But there's no pressure on us. We've shown that over the course of the season."

What a mess Liverpool are.

Just shows how good Suarez and Sturridge were together.

really??????

last season lfc managed to punch way above their weight and with no other competitions to play managed to mount their first title push since 2008.

Also the previous years 1st 2nd and 3rd teams all change their managers, which has never happened before....

maybe opportunistic isnt the right word, but its the first word that springs to mind...

So you feel Liverpool's excellent season was due to all the factors you mention and not Suarez & Sturridge forming as lethal a partnership as anyone in Europe last season?

The most obvious change for me is that Liverpool are lacking goals and movement in the attack. We are still awful at the back which is our failure for not sorting that out but even when we conceded last term, with the front two we had, we were always likely to race 2 or 3 goals up and on many occasions, this was enough to see teams off before our defence was exposed.

So no, I don't agree with your opinions here.

So you feel Liverpool's excellent season was due to all the factors you mention and not Suarez & Sturridge forming as lethal a partnership as anyone in Europe last season?

of course, there are usually many factors that determine or define a season, excellent at being second seems something like an oxymoron in footballing terms.

Someone might say lfc's failure to win the league in their only real chance in 25 years was down to one man slipping...

but it kinda over simplifies it.

The most obvious change for me is that Liverpool are lacking goals and movement in the attack. We are still awful at the back which is our failure for not sorting that out but even when we conceded last term, with the front two we had, we were always likely to race 2 or 3 goals up and on many occasions, this was enough to see teams off before our defence was exposed.

wait, so that was a strategy?

are you butthurt about my post..i found it ridicilous because someone get´s paid so much for doing nothing, not because it is united player...

as for LFC, season is over.

butt hurt? what a strange thing to say.

sturridge is being paid an awful lot of money to do nothing, as are most of liverpools strikers so is it really that ridiculous??

but I honestly thought you were interested in web timers, thought you'd like your own liverpool related timer.

butt hurt? what a strange thing to say.

sturridge is being paid an awful lot of money to do nothing, as are most of liverpools strikers so is it really that ridiculous??

but I honestly thought you were interested in web timers, thought you'd like your own liverpool related timer.

yeah i like it, not that i didn´t know how long LFC didn´t won the league... thanks for taking the effort :D

Well at least Lambert scored, hopefully now Balo would move to second striker or super sub to help our efforts. Sakho or even Wisdom might help the CB position sometime soon.

Agger on crutches is better than Lovren. And to think that his transfer fee was 10 times the fee Agger was sold. What amazes me is, how was it that everyone knew that Lovren didn't have the level to play for Liverpool and was going to be a massive failure, but Rodgers ?

Too many things went right last season:
- Suarez
- Sturridge
- No CL
- Gerrard's new role
- Chelsea, ManCity new managers
- ManUtd's demise

Too many things going wrong this season:
- No Suarez
- No Sturridge
- Poor transfers, money wasted
- defense still shambolic, no attack, no midfield.
- CL
- Gerrard being half the player he was
- Chelsea much better
- Rodgers finding it very hard - showing his inexperience

Rodgers will be gone unless he takes us back into top-4.
FSG are not very patient. They want results,
and if it does not happen, they will get rid of Rodgers.
See how quickly they got rid of Hodgson and Dalglish.
They are ruthless and efficient...and why not, it's their money.

The only problem is, who will they go for next?
Young inexperienced managers will not work anymore.
We need someone with a bigger name, who can attract better players.
A lot of money will need to be promised to a big-name coach.
FSG will either have to put the money or sell the club.

Too many things went right last season:
- Suarez
- Sturridge
- No CL
- Gerrard's new role
- Chelsea, ManCity new managers
- ManUtd's demise

Too many things going wrong this season:
- No Suarez
- No Sturridge
- Poor transfers, money wasted
- defense still shambolic, no attack, no midfield.
- CL
- Gerrard being half the player he was
- Chelsea much better
- Rodgers finding it very hard - showing his inexperience

Rodgers will be gone unless he takes us back into top-4.
FSG are not very patient. They want results,
and if it does not happen, they will get rid of Rodgers.
See how quickly they got rid of Hodgson and Dalglish.
They are ruthless and efficient...and why not, it's their money.

The only problem is, who will they go for next?
Young inexperienced managers will not work anymore.
We need someone with a bigger name, who can attract better players.
A lot of money will need to be promised to a big-name coach.
FSG will either have to put the money or sell the club.

Sorry but have u seen german league table?and saw where is dortmund .Its just football u cant win every match.although ur point about wasting money is right.and that will be the main reason of his sacking if happen.

Back
Top Bottom