Liverpool Thread

You Liverpool supporters shouldn't moan about other clubs spending money!

Look at the Benitez regime. How many Liverpool supporters blame "Hicks & Gilette" for that era when in reality Rafa spent huge amounts on transfers i.e. nearly 20 million quid on a RIGHT BACK (Johnson), £20 million on Robbie Keane (:LOL:) etc.

Then King Kenny spent £35 MILLION on ANDY CARROLL, £20 million (I think?) on Stewart Downing (:LOL:) etc.

And Rodgers has spent a few quid as well!

Spurs are the same - we have spent money on too much shite. We'd be hypocrites if we cried "Oh, well, we dont throw money around like them"..... because we do!

Last edited:
yes Liverpool did some crazy transfers, but that has made us a shite team for 4 years... problem with city is even if they buy bad it doesn´t affect them... + there are sallary´s you have to consider with talking about transfers... obviously Rafa didn´t wanted Keane as first choice back then, and many other players.. we had our flops but that affected the team and we learned since... under Rodgers i´m confident we will not buy a player we can´t later sell if he´s underperforming, cause we buy young and perspective players now suited to his system of play.

Rodgers has spend, but we got rid of many big earners who underperformed..

Rafa did his buys i agree, but net spending not over the price of one or two top class city signings.. who are payed massive sallary´s..

article-2553796-1B438F5300000578-927_634x436.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...elsea-Manchester-United-net-spend-charts.html

Looks like you will be a pot 3 team, with a very very remote chance of pot 2, but at least no chance of being bumped to pot 4.

Pot 1
Real Madrid
FC Barcelona
Bayern München
Chelsea
Benfica
Atlético Madrid
Arsenal
FC Porto

Pot 2
Schalke 04
Dortmund
Juventus
Paris Saint-Germain
Shakhtar Donetsk
FC Basel*
Zenit SP*

Manchester City

Pot 3
Bayer Leverkusen
Olympiacos
Ajax
Napoli
Liverpool
Sporting Lisbon
Galatasaray*
Bilbao

Teams in Red are as good as definately in the play offs.
Teams in Green are 50:50 direct to group or in play offs.

To get Pot 2 you need to hope that, Arsenal, Porto and Leverkusen lose their playoffs, Zenit and Basel slip to second (or lower) in their leagues and also lose their playoffs.

I don't think it matters who they play. They either get a broad enough squad to make it or they don't. LFC is strong enough to beat any team in the world at the same time they can lose against any smart opponent. LFC today would most likely have beaten Real Madrid and then went on to lose 6-0 against Rosenborg like Dortmund did in the 90's. Tactical smartness doesn't require world class players to be effective.

-----------

The attacking part of the game is obviously sorted but I don't think the defensive ones are NOT (EDITED) personell oriented as much as strategy related. Now it remains to see if Rodgers can strike a balance that keeps the nice offensive play and manage to create a stronger defense at the same time.

Last edited:
LFC today would most likely have beaten Real Madrid

What? The same team that suffers 50(!) goals in the premier league (without the need to rotate players) would most likely beat the CL finalist? CR7 and Bale would lick their chops for such matchup.
Liverpool need to buy a lot of defenders to compete with the top dogs. When you top defender is Skretl it says a lot about your defence. That what makes 'Pool's season so amazing. With such a bad defence they almost won the League (or will win it, you never know). But next year they will be a different story.

I know it seems impossible......but so was Istanbul....

Hoping and praying for a West Ham win...and a Liverpool win for their first title since 1990

Imagine Liverpool drawing and City losing ... Will that hurt even more?

no for me.. i think every Liverpool supporter is at peace now, we need to win our match and stay positive, it´s been our best season since i follow the club playing wise.

I know what would hurt more. liverpool winning 13-0(LoL) and city getting the winning goal in 90+6th. the ultimate drama.

Yes having an expensive bench has helped City get really far in the champions league hasn't it?

Many teams have got further than City and even won the Champions League without £50m + players on the bench.

Wasn't my point. The CL has different variables, like seeding etc.

My point was about remaining in the top 4 with the extra games. With CL games dotted inbetween important PL games you can find yourself dropping points and next year the PL will probably be even more competitive at the top.

The Brendhemian Rhapsody

Was this the real race?
Was this just fantasy?
Won in a landslide
No need for escape from reality,
Open your eyes
Look up all the ties, and See!

We’re just a poor team,
We need no sympathy
Cause its easy won, City blows
We are high, they are low
Anyway, Maureen-Yo doesn’t really matter
(To me) Too Meeee…

Sterling…,
Just killed the Man’s
Put the eyes on, tilts his head
Pulls the trigger, left for dead
Sterling
The race had just begun
But then he went and blew them all away
Sterling,
ooo-oo
Didn’t mean to make them cry
But they couldn’t keep up if they ran until tomorrow
Tracking back, kicking out, didn’t really matter….

Just great, our time has come!
Sends shivers down my spine
It’s a season for all time!
Goodbye, Moysie Mancster, you’ve got to go
Gotta leave your thing destroyed and face the truth
Suarez, oo-oo-o (easy won city blows)
Always made them cry.
The other teams knew he couldn’t be stopped at all…

I see a little Silouhetto of a man
AVTim AVTim can you do the FanTango?
Thunderbolts and lightning very very frightening
Pelligrino Pellegrino
Pellegrino Pellegrino
Pellegrino paid Eur-os (Magnifico-oo-o)

But we’re just a poor team everybody loves we
(We’re just a poor team with a rich history!)
Sparing the League from these Monstrosity’s

Easy won, City blows-will you tell Maureen?
John Henry! Yes! We will tell Maureen. (Wenger knows)
John Henry! We will tell Maureen. (Wenger knows)
John Henry! We will tell Maureen. (Wenger knows)
We did not let it go (didnt let it go)
Never Never let it go
Never Let it go-ooh, Go-Go-Go-Go-Go-GO
Oh Mama Mia Mama Mia We just never let it go
Couhtin-io had a through ball quite divine, and Steve,
And Steve, and Steeeve…..

Did you see Sturridge just school you, that blur in your eye?
Did you see as he scored and your brain was just fri-i-ed?
Ooh, Jose,
Such fun to do this to you Jose
We finish first,
We finished first in the League….

…oooh yeah, …oooh yeah
The title really mattered,
Anyone could see.
The title really mattered
The title really mattered,
To Steeeve.
(Cause its easy won, City blows, we are high they are low, anyway Maureen-Yo, doesn’t really matter, to Me…..)

Somewhat related to 'spend' discussion - if LFC do spend more than they bring in this off-season, I'm pretty sure they'll be in violation of FFP, somewhat surprisingly.

Over the past 3 years, LFC actually have some pretty terrible losses, and if one assumes that they'll spend in the summer, that will only get bigger for the 13/14 season. FFP looks at 3 years of annual losses, and LFC's could be well over 100m.

Just saying, before everyone gets all high on their horses.

I read somewhere Mutd last season received £63.1m for winning the title.
ManCity/Liverpool this season will receive £95m (title winners) and the bottom regulated clubs will get each £64.1 m .

LFC spend a shitload of cash every season but always play the "hard done by" act - Brentan Rodgers has a short memory and is playing the "We're not rich like them" card.

Get over it, Rodgers - you've got to face these challenges to win the title, thats what made Ferguson a great manager. He laughed off the challenges of Man City and Chelsea.

Rodgers is good manager but he needs to bring in a defensive coach - he's clueless in this area.

Somewhat related to 'spend' discussion - if LFC do spend more than they bring in this off-season, I'm pretty sure they'll be in violation of FFP, somewhat surprisingly.

Over the past 3 years, LFC actually have some pretty terrible losses, and if one assumes that they'll spend in the summer, that will only get bigger for the 13/14 season. FFP looks at 3 years of annual losses, and LFC's could be well over 100m.

That is somewhat surprisingly correct...

does bring the idea of selling Suarez for a crazy fee into consideration.
Indeed it does.

Depending on whom you buy with the money, this could be a great move for LFC in the long run - after all, one could question Suarez' performances against better teams since half of his goals are against the likes of Norwich, Cardiff and WBA.

He doesn't do very well in most of the big games and you're gonna play many of these next year with CL football in mind. :)

EDIT: Just checked and guess what - he doesn't have a single goal against this season's top 4.
So that's 6 games (Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal) and 0 goals. Productive.

Last edited:
i know what you think but, instead i think LFC will not yet sell him.. not before world cup indeed... and CL... in world cup his price can go even higher and so his status imo + we see what happend to Tottenham after they sold Bale.

That's not entirely true, LFC w/o Suarez were getting gols and winning matches. Suarez gave a mental lift , but the squad out grew their shell in a positive way. I'd think it help both really Suarez was lifted by the surrounding players in the squad. I somewhat believe Liverpool w'd have sold Suarez if costa MADe himself available. Ozil wud stayed at RM and sold Di Maria to Arsenal.

In the end it goes to show things sort itself out. LFC were wise and seem to learn from Carroll fiasco.

That's not entirely true, LFC w/o Suarez were getting gols and winning matches. Suarez gave a mental lift , but the squad out grew their shell in a positive way. I'd think it help both really Suarez was lifted by the surrounding players in the squad. I somewhat believe Liverpool w'd have sold Suarez if costa MADe himself available. Ozil wud stayed at RM and sold Di Maria to Arsenal.

In the end it goes to show things sort itself out. LFC were wise and seem to learn from Carroll fiasco.

I agree with that post.
And that stat about Suarez in big matches, imo that proves nothing.

Chelsea would be delighted with a player who would score goals against the likes of Norwich, Crystal Palace and others...in fact they would have won the league with a player like that.

I'm curious about this aswell, from what I have read they dont take seasons not spent in Europe into account. Also the losses seems to be very much related to diminishing debt, down 50mil this year. And the stadiumplanning has cost a huge amount aswell, surprisingly. But thats a "good" loss as it works in their favour.

But lets be honest here and cut the crap that Liverpool are some huge spenders relative to city or chelsea. They are nowhere near them, either in net transfers or wages. Liverpool should be challenging for 4th or 3rd, but anymore is a great achievement. Spending 15mil vs 60 or 100mil per year is a completely different league. Being able to bring on a 30mil bench striker to replace your injured 40mil or out of form 26mil player and not even bothering with your 25mil striker whilst Liverpool have to look to Aspas is incomparable, as is saying Liverpool have spent a lot without any form of context to squad, league or ownership issues.

From the list posted its amazing how well Arsenal continue to do, and surprisingly how low Spurs' net spending is.

last 3 years Liverpool have spent only about 35m less than us.

You've wasted a large chunk of that and that's your own fault.

Again context, lets pick a number and compare. 3 years is handy, makes it look similar. How much of that has been recouped by selling again. I wont deny there has been some crap bought, but its nowhere near whats been spent by Chelsea and City.

I don't understand the defensiveness towards it, for the money spent Liverpool should be 4th and possibly 3rd, yet they get compared to City or Chelsea as if they should be up there by default because of the money spent. As if thats anywhere near City or Chelsea.

And if anyone says otherwise you get the above reactions, because you cant put achievement into context if it is somehow seen as negative. City should be champions based on what they spent and the players they have. Its as simple as that. Fortunately football can deliver surprises from time to time, see Liverpool's challenge. But even that gets minimised when fans have the cheek to say that its been a great season even if Liverpool fell short in the end. And saying its partly down to squad quality and money spent is a logical observation. But you cant say that...

Liverpool have done great this season, and have been below what they should for the previous seasons. City are where they should be, Chelsea have fallen short because they screwed up with their strikers.

Yes but why do Liverpool supporters always crow on about "having no money".

You've spent a load of the stuff since the Premier league began, and before that! You can dress it up how you want but that's the truth.

You have spent badly and it's come back to bite you on the arse.

Back
Top Bottom