Liverpool Thread

Yeh I said the same thing to my mates the other day, at the start of this season all I wanted was an improvement on last season to show we're progressing, so to even still be talked about as contenders as we come to the last 7 games is unreal, i'll be delighted to have top 4 sealed, anything else would be a massive bonus. We're on a great run at the minute, but to win the league we'd have to pretty much win all of our remaining games (we've won the last 7, can we really go 14 wins in a row?) and hope Man City drop points along the way, but with the fixtures that are left there's plenty of opportunities for Liverpool, City and Chelsea to drop points.

The advantage is that the fourth place is as good as sealed for Liverpool. So their season is already a big success. Not the winningthe title would be a major disappointment for both Man City and Chelsea, so the pressure is on them. Liverpool should be able to play without pressure (this is theory and in reality it depends on Rodgers and the way he manages the expectations). I don't consider Arsenal contender anymore...

The advantage is that the fourth place is as good as sealed for Liverpool. So their season is already a big success. Not the winningthe title would be a major disappointment for both Man City and Chelsea, so the pressure is on them. Liverpool should be able to play without pressure (this is theory and in reality it depends on Rodgers and the way he manages the expectations). I don't consider Arsenal contender anymore...

Totally agree with this. LFC have nothing to lose at this point. They've over-achieved already this season.

They'll keep Suarez for at least one year of the CL - that's huge - and they'll be able to afford their squad with the CL payments. (remember they lost over £50m last year - they can't keep doing that).

Do LFC fans believe there are squad members they can sell to raise money? Or are you expecting Henry to go into deeper debt to build out the squad to handle European football?

Top 4 would be an achievement coming from the last few seasons, and not one of the Wenger sort.
Would expect a few players to be sold off and Henry to go a bit deeper. As much as it sucks, I think he ultimately knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
Totally agree with this. LFC have nothing to lose at this point. They've over-achieved already this season.

They'll keep Suarez for at least one year of the CL - that's huge - and they'll be able to afford their squad with the CL payments. (remember they lost over £50m last year - they can't keep doing that).

Do LFC fans believe there are squad members they can sell to raise money? Or are you expecting Henry to go into deeper debt to build out the squad to handle European football?

There will be a few players leaving this summer, for example Pepe Reina will be off, and i'd also assume the likes of Aspas, Assaidi and maybe Borini will be going too, but they're not going to raise a lot of cash. Having Champions' League football back will give a nice little cash injection however and I do believe the owners will be putting more money in because we really have no option but to strengthen the squad.

Look at the first team at full strength, along with the second player for each position:

Mignolet/Jones

Johnson/Flanagan
Agger/Sakho
Skrtel/Toure
Enrique/Cissokho

Gerrard
Allen/Lucas
Henderson/Alberto

Coutinho/Sterling

Suarez/Borini?
Sturridge/Aspas

I've left Gerrard with no second player because there isn't one, at the minute he's playing deep, so if he drops out Lucas comes in, we've essentially got four midfielders who can all play each others role to a certain degree in Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson and Allen. Of course they all have their best position but looking at it primarily to get them in the team in case of injuries they can all play in the three main midfield positions.

We will certainly need another keeper to put pressure on Mignolet.

Definitely also need another left back, Flanagan is erratic and Enrique has just missed pretty much the whole season, Johnson can play there but that leaves Flanagan or Kelly at right back.

Midfield we probably need a good strong midfielder who can tackle but can pick a pass and keep the game ticking over, maybe M'Vila for example.

We also have no real alternatives to Coutinho and Sterling who are really still both unproven and inconsistent.

Up front we definitely need a couple of options in case of injury to either Suarez or Sturridge, but it will be difficult to sign a forward simply because those two are brilliant, who would want to sign for Liverpool knowing you're already behind those two.

You're right in a way, but I think the sheer strength of the City and Chelsea squads compared to Liverpool mean they'll handle the pressure easier.

All the top teams still have some difficult games to come, the main advantage Liverpool have is that most of the difficult away games are now out of the way, we've got West Ham, Norwich and Palace away, we really should win those games, West Ham will be difficult but we still should take the points.

City have still got to play Arsenal,Liverpool and Everton away from home while Chelsea still have to come to Anfield and also have the Champions' League games against PSG to deal with, but looking at their fixtures for the run-in, Chelsea realistically have the easier games left to play apart from Liverpool away.

All-in-all there's still ample opportunity for each of the three teams to drop and gain points.

The problem for Liverpool aswell is that City are also really on form, won last 7 away games and won 12 of last 14, or something like that. The run-in needs to be perfect to stand a chance. And a bigger squad and experience helps.

The current squad is pretty shocking, isn't it?! Once you get past the 1st 11 there isn't really anyone you would look at and expect to offer anything. Oddly enough the defence looks well stocked, but it hasn't helped. Liverpool really need to stock up otherwise they will drop straight out of the top 4 next season with the extra cl games.

Last edited:

Remember that in those 50M there is a big part of money paid to end contracts and to finance studies about the stadium. Those are exceptional expenses. Also some lucrative commercial deals have been done in this last year, plus money from the CL, so Brendan should have a sizeable transfer budget.

About Borini, I dont expect him to leave, his characteristics are not suitable for him to play as the only striker but now that we are playing a 4-3-1-2 he can be a very good back up.

great day for LFC so far... hope for Arsenal win today!

with a win tomorow we are 2 points ahead of second Chelsea!

we might be first tomorow!!!!

believe!!!

john-terry_get-460x288.jpg

:WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP: :WORSHIP:

If Liverpool win the title it'll be the best PL title win in terms of achievement considering you'd have gone from 7th to 1st.

I almost want to see it happen if Utd finish 7th. As soon as Ferguson leaves you swap positions :LOL:

If Liverpool win the title it'll be the best PL title win in terms of achievement considering you'd have gone from 7th to 1st.

I almost want to see it happen if Utd finish 7th. As soon as Ferguson leaves you swap positions :LOL:

The dislike for Utd is strong in this one.

Having Pool in the CL again is one thing (and deserved) but that winning the title thing is different. Though if it means City does not win it it may be worth it. Damn.. Wait.. No.. Arrrgh season from hell. All fun n games though.

30th March 1964 - Liverpool beat Spurs 3-1 at home to go top of the league. Liverpool went on to claim their first league title under Bill Shankly.

50 years to the day...

make us dream.

Only in the premier league era. Lots of teams had that kind of swing back in the day.

What will City's excuse be if they don't win the title? Best squad in the league last season? Check. Add £100m of talent? Check. Get in experienced new manager? Check. Get knocked of CL so don't have that as a distraction in the run-in? Check.

Seriously, if City don't win with a team that is largely settled, in their peak and obviously the most expensive squad in world history, I'd consider that a pretty big choke tbh. Espeically when you consider whoever wins the league the year this year is going to do it with LESS points that than past-it, crappy United team of last season.

If LFC manage it they'll absolutely deserve it, as I mentioned they'll have taken something along the lines of 43 out 45 points in the last half of the season. That is incredible.

nice words beachryan..

now let´s hope we will win today.. if we do, i think third place is certain for us, but we should try to win this league, when if not now?

Only in the premier league era. Lots of teams had that kind of swing back in the day.

What will City's excuse be if they don't win the title? Best squad in the league last season? Check. Add £100m of talent? Check. Get in experienced new manager? Check. Get knocked of CL so don't have that as a distraction in the run-in? Check.

Seriously, if City don't win with a team that is largely settled, in their peak and obviously the most expensive squad in world history, I'd consider that a pretty big choke tbh. Espeically when you consider whoever wins the league the year this year is going to do it with LESS points that than past-it, crappy United team of last season.

If LFC manage it they'll absolutely deserve it, as I mentioned they'll have taken something along the lines of 43 out 45 points in the last half of the season. That is incredible.

Yea, I said "PL title"

If we don't win it the reasons will be because
1. Pellegrini's settling in period at the start of the season
ie. getting to grips with PL away games
2. Joe Hart's nightmare period at the start of the season
3. Aguero's injuries
4. Liverpool's amazing run of results

At this moment in time we're still favourites because we go above them with our games in hand and can afford to draw at Anfield. Both teams now - on paper- have a similar set of fixtures. We both play each other, we both have 1 home game each which is a potential points dropper (Southampton and Spurs) and we both have a tough game against a top 5 team (Chelsea and Everton). We both also go to Palace. The rest you'd expect both teams to win.

Our outlay this summer wasn't 100m and I highly doubt we have the most expensive squad in world history. It cost only about 10m more than Utd's,

I would consider the season a failure if we don't win it but not the type of failure that gets a manager sacked.

Really hope we win the league while Gerrard is Captain and more importantly contributing on the pitch.

He deserves it more than most players and this is something I have no doubt is in the back of his mind so I expect to see great passion from our leader

Wow, how comfortable has that been?! Surely in the 2nd half Spurs will offer something?!

Spurs have been so poor, terrible defending and a lot of long balls to players who dont want to header the ball. Cant remember a match where Ive seen defenders win so many punts as easily as today, especially Liverpool defenders! And after 35min. They hardly bothered to try to win possesion back from the Liverpool defenders.

Can someone find Sherwoods face after the own goal, beautiful? Lol

Amazingly easy. Suarez seems a bit off form the last couple of matches, a lot of miscontrolled balls and passes. Hopefully he can get out of it soon. So far is hasnt had an effect on results, but could have been costly against sunderland.

West Ham should be a tough match.

Back
Top Bottom