Liverpool Thread

We actually have a chance to be first in the league by the end of the arsenal match...massive match ahead....amazing.

Apparently the lineup will be the same as against WBA...

1456619_10152103154947573_73141782_n.jpg

Ref pissed me off.

Quick free kick pulled back, what happened to try and keep the game flowing

We have been poor, arsenal dominating.

Be happy with a draw

Arsenal still tried to shoot themselves in the foot late on, Suarez should have finished that off.

Still, Arsenal had almost 60% possession until they started cruising at 2-0. That's really impressive.

Liverpool are a fantastic side , Arsenal won by 2 special goals. This shouldn`t take nothing away from Liverpool. I think dropping points to the top tier clubs is more acceptable . Then, dropping to bottom tier clubs.

Liverpool are not playing more games(Europe) and experimenting selections could make things a lil tricky,but not a deterrent to Liverpool`s form.

Allen for Gerrard need to be happening a lot more. The captain was nowhere to be seen today (same thing can be said about Lucas).

our whole midfield didn´t show up today...Rodgers needs to find out a solution asap.. we can´t play this 5 defenders bullshit anymore...

either he playes Agger instead of Skrtel to partner Sakho or he risks other draws or looses like today..

the defence when fit should be:

Johnson --- Sakho --- Agger --- Enrique

dissapointed by Lucas and Gerrard as well... we need a midfielder of Viera type to dictate the game, wish we still got Xabi....

our whole midfield didn´t show up today...Rodgers needs to find out a solution asap.. we can´t play this 5 defenders bullshit anymore...

either he playes Agger instead of Skrtel to partner Sakho or he risks other draws or looses like today..

the defence when fit should be:

Johnson --- Sakho --- Agger --- Enrique

dissapointed by Lucas and Gerrard as well... we need a midfielder of Viera type to dictate the game, wish we still got Xabi....

I'm not sure why this was not addressed this summer.
the problem is that Gerrard is always guaranteed a game due to his legend status and Rodgers is too scared of dropping him...

At the moment, Rodgers is playing the formation to accomodate these players:
- Suarez, Sturridge as strikers
- Gerrard as midfielder
- Sakho, Toure, Skrtel as centre-backs....

The fact is we don't have a decent midfield....the only option we have is to become a counter-attacking team with Coutinho/Suarez/Sturridge as a front-three...and the rest of the team's job to defend and scrap for the ball....

Can't see this changing unless we get some world-class midfielders....

I think that setup is fine for the smaller teams and it clearly shows with you averaging 3 goals a game prior to this, Suarez and Sturridge against weaker teams will blow them away.

Today he should have been more cautious IMO with a 4-3-3 with one of Suarez or Sturridge wide.

The 5-3-2 generates nothing as a team. It completely relies on Sturridge and Suarez and shows Rodgers as a liar and as hypocrit.
4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 ASAP. That is the way the whole structure of the club is set, that is supposed to be our philosophy.
Would like to see Henderson-Allen one match. Gerrard and Lucas are proving again and again that they cant play together. Especially Gerrard, you can see why Rafa never played him as a CM.

Wow, really guys?

We lost away to Arsenal. As I'm sure many teams will.

We weren't hammered.

Arsenals first goal rebounded off the post straight to Cazorla. It could have rebounded in many different directions but it fell lovely back to Cazorla who finished it.
Ramseys goal could have flew over wide but it dropped nicely into the top corner.

Suarez should have scored on several occasions and usually does, as should Henderson in the first half when he found himself in the box only to completely scuff the shot.

There wasn't too much in it... http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287376/stats

Some of you lot are acting like we have big problems.

I think it's fair to say, there is very little between the current top 8 teams in the league this year. No team is convincing enough so far to indicate they will run away with it.

This looks good to me considering where we have been these last 6 years or so...http://www1.skysports.com/football/competitions/premier-league/table

Wow, really guys?

We lost away to Arsenal. As I'm sure many teams will.

We weren't hammered.

Arsenals first goal rebounded off the post straight to Cazorla. It could have rebounded in many different directions but it fell lovely back to Cazorla who finished it.
Ramseys goal could have flew over wide but it dropped nicely into the top corner.

Suarez should have scored on several occasions and usually does, as should Henderson in the first half when he found himself in the box only to completely scuff the shot.

There wasn't too much in it... http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/287376/stats

Some of you lot are acting like we have big problems.

I think it's fair to say, there is very little between the current top 8 teams in the league this year. No team is convincing enough so far to indicate they will run away with it.

This looks good to me considering where we have been these last 6 years or so...http://www1.skysports.com/football/competitions/premier-league/table

It's true I don't think that the difference was too great, I'm sure when we go to Anfield you will dominate us. The home advantage was key in this tie.

Although goals are goals and also chances we also had quite a few, so I don't really go with the if the ball didn't rebound to Cazorla and if Ramseys shot went over etc the goals went in and that's that.

I think Liverpool not being in Europe will have a big effect on the outcome, Suarez and Sturridge will keep getting you goals and I think the majority of your team will have time to rest in between games etc, it will be a big plus for you guys.

I think Liverpool without Europe, Chelsea and Man City with their big squads will do well this season, Man United will come back into the mix if Van Persie and Rooney stay fit, Spurs have great players and when it clicks for them properly could be a real force. I expect Everton and Southampton to Fall back a bit, but overall it will be tight.

I still have worries about Arsenal over the course of the whole season and if we have the stamina to last, but hopefully we get some of our injured players back and can rotate a bit.

But I think both Arsenal and Liverpool can be chuffed at the moment, god knows where we will both be at the end of the season, but it's enjoyable at the moment :DD

I think your team will get better now with Coutinho getting back to fitness. This guy is one of the best creative midfielders I've seen coming out of Brazil in recent years. Such an eye for a pass! With the attacking force of Suarez and Sturridge, you should be fine with goals.

The biggest concerns should be the defensive and possession retention duties from your midfield with the aging Gerrard looking out of place. And Rodgers better do something about that left back of yours, Cissoko, who was utterly destroyed by Sagna yesterday. I mean, Bac was superb yesterday both on defence and attack, but your boy Cissoko got exposed there. I'm not sure it's a fault of the system, because the other fullback coped much better.

I was impress by Rodger`s post match assessment . He didnt give too much ,nor gave too little credit. I was impress he abandon the pitch of arrogance or Arsenal gave`em humble pie :)

Im not scared of calling anyone out. We need upgrades on Lucas, Gerrard AND Henderson to challenge for the league. Midfield is our weakest area.

We've spent 68m or so on midfielders since selling Alonso and Masch and we're still in dire need of investment there. Gerrard and Lucas have both lost a yard of pace in recent years due to years and injuries and it has badly affected their mobility. Henderson lacks the technique or goal threat to be a good option for us. All 3 have strengths (Henderson is his running for example) but overall are not good enough anymore or never will be.

Our next signing HAS to be a monster center mid. It's the biggest weak point in our side.

There's been a huge desperation on here and in certain podcasts to elevate Henderson into a key player in our side. Even in his first season when he was generally absolutely awful and anonymous (getting subbed off at half time several times), people were clutching at whatever small straw with Henderson. I remember The Anfield Wrap towards Easter of his first season desperately trying to sell him as a "great signing"

That desperation for me is borne out of a few things: 1) The potential in Henderson which at times, but rarely, points to him developing into a good player and 2) The desire for people to be less embarrassed at Kenny's 2011 Summer dealings by having at least one good signing from that bunch 3) People wanting to be proved right after defending the obscene amount of money we payed for him

That desperation leads to ridiculous efforts to magnify any good things he does. For example, a previous post I quoted said he was MOTM several times this season- he never has been. He's had a couple of games where his running has been very useful (United for example), a couple of others where he did ok and a few where he's been average or downright awful (Sunderland away for example).

He's been compared to a multitude of players, from Xavi, to Lampard to Milner to Gerrard. People see him run a lot and press the ball well and that's enough for him to have had a "great game".

Our standards have gone downhill so fast, and our expectations of him too, that that's all it takes nowadays. I remember him playing an amazing through ball for Downing at City in Jan 2012. When's the last time you saw a Henderson pass cut an entire defense open? I remember his first goal vs Bolton and his performance there after in August 2011. When's the last time you saw him impact our attacking play in the same manner?

Have you seen how long it takes for him to turn on the ball? Where other midfielders take one touch, Henderson takes 3 or 4. His supposed "brilliant" passing skills now revolve on him taking 3 or 4 touches and passing it backwards.

It's happened without a lot of people realising it, but Jordan Henderson has become Rodgers' poor man's Dirk Kuyt. Someone who runs around alot and harries defenders and wins the ball back, but has little creativity and goal threat. Kuyt was always likely to come up with a goal, it's a surprise when Henderson does. Kuyt had a warrior mentality and stepped up when others had poor games. Henderson rarely does.

Is this the player you thought Henderson would develop into? Because, quite frankly, he offers nothing else. No creativity, no goal threat, no great tackling etc... He's a harrier and a runner. And forgive me, but in my opinion Liverpool Football Club should expect a shitload more from a player in the final third who's become a first 11 starter. We shouldn't be in a situation where 10 league games into the season, a player who's mostly played in the final third and started every game has 0 goals and 0 assists.

There are other issues in the side, especially in midfield (as I said previously, we should be looking to upgrade on all 3), but no other player is elevated like Henderson is. It's ridiculous at times. He's no longer a kid. He'll be 24 next Summer, the age Steven Gerrard was when he lifted the European cup for us. People still say Henderson is Gerrard's replacement. It's, quite frankly, absolutely laughable.

Brought from RAWK. Excellent analysis of Henderson. Really worth a read.

Brought from RAWK. Excellent analysis of Henderson. Really worth a read.

Agreed. He's not, and shouldn't be a starter for Liverpool. Not good enough. Anybody who thinks different is crazy. There literally is no creativity from him or Lucas at all. Gerrard still creates at times but he's not the player he was. He should just sit deep now as he's still good enough for that role. Look at the creativity in Arsenal's midfield. Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil, Arteta. They just move the ball around nicer. More smoothly. More naturally. Liverpool just don't seem fluid. They do up front with Suarez, Coutinho and Sturridge. The things they do don't always come off but there's natural creative ability from them. Henderson is a carthorse. He does some decent things now and then but he shouldn't be starting every game. Where's Joe Allen? He has more natural ability IMO. He was good pre-season wasn't he? Struggled with injury last year but he's a good footballer and should be getting more game time and see how he goes. Enrique should be left back before Cissokho. He isn't that bad and though he was playing ok. He gets involved in attacking positions and can create chances too.
There's no shame in losing to Arsenal away but there's definitely something still lacking with Liverpool.

Completely agree. There is no shame in losing away with Arsenal, but something strange is going on with Rodgers. I dont know if it is because the weight he lost but he seemed to have forgotten everything he said last season. This season there is no team, there is no phylosophy, there is no pass and move, it is just play and see what Suarez and Sturridge can do.

We are lacking in midfield , no creativity , I said before and I'll say again Henderson doesn't create anything and I'm agree with that Liverbird posted , that's exactly what I think too about Henderson but my poor English doesn't let me explain as good as that :)

Gerard has lost it too and we really need few new guys at midfield one of them has to be a very very quality if we want to make some difference , we are good at attacking and with Johnson and agger back from
Injury we are good at back too all we need it's midfield we lack in quality over there !

Dude, things will get better with Coutinho getting back. That kid is an assist king in the making, you'll see.

Back
Top Bottom