Liverpool Thread

People keep forgeting Pepe and Ramos are two of the dirtiest bastards in the game. So I think his behaviour in that match could have been retaliation to previous encounters.

Well, if Liverpool is going after Diego, I'm expecting Suarez at Arsenal sooner rather than later :D

How is Arsenal Liverpool`s rivals ? I think Everton n Spurs have more of a say. Last 2 season it was btw Arsenal,Chelsea and Spurs. Liverpool are not Arsenals rivals for 4th spot , its like saying Arsenal will challenge for the title. Arsenal wants to challenge for the title ,just like Liverpool want to challenge 4th spot.

Rodger is not the man to challenge 4th spot, neither is Wenger for the title. Come December my claims will confirm this! I hope I don`t get banned for this :))

Chelsea
ManCity
Mutd
Arsenal
Spurs...

Liverpool are aiming for 4th spot, so by default the 4th place is a rival who they need to overtake. Whether they can is another matter obviously. Agree with your December prediction though ;).

People keep forgeting Pepe and Ramos are two of the dirtiest bastards in the game. So I think his behaviour in that match could have been retaliation to previous encounters.

Well, if Liverpool is going after Diego, I'm expecting Suarez at Arsenal sooner rather than later :D

Suarez will not go to Arsenal UNLESS he hands in a transfer request.....which TBH I can't see him doing for Arsenal....given that Arsenal are not yet willing to go near 50m pounds.

Only other option would be if Chelsea go after Suarez.....bcos' United are'nt going to sell Rooney to Chelsea....and they are running out of time to get any strikers.....
Since Chelsea are anyway sure bets for top-3, we are not directly competing with them yet.

So it seems poor old Suarez has to just play for Liverpool hoping that we can sign a few more players that can take us top-4 and satisfy his CL dreams...

I feel really sad for Liverpool. I think, with this kind of transfer policy, they will never compete with the manchester duo and the london trio. the only thing that makes them look a little bit better than the likes of west ham, aston villa, fulham that they have suarez (sadly, suarez). if they replace him with diego costa (also paying such an absurd amount of money!), they will be no more than just an average side in PL and they'll do it with spending.

p.s. what do you think liverpool's transfer committee are smoking over there at Anfield Road?

Last edited:
Suarez will not go to Arsenal UNLESS he hands in a transfer request.....which TBH I can't see him doing for Arsenal....given that Arsenal are not yet willing to go near 50m pounds.

Only other option would be if Chelsea go after Suarez.....bcos' United are'nt going to sell Rooney to Chelsea....and they are running out of time to get any strikers.....
Since Chelsea are anyway sure bets for top-3, we are not directly competing with them yet.

So it seems poor old Suarez has to just play for Liverpool hoping that we can sign a few more players that can take us top-4 and satisfy his CL dreams...

Brendan should make him play in the reserves until january

The difference in the way Arsenal does business...

Arsene Wenger said:
"I don't want to speak about Suarez because that's between Liverpool and Arsenal and we will completely respect what Liverpool wants to do and we want to do that, if it's feasible, in an amicable way."

Brendan Rodgers said:
‘I know what we are trying to build, so why would you swap Liverpool to go to Arsenal? I am not sure that it adds up to be honest. Arsenal have a wonderful history in their own right but Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I think he said that seeing the crowds of fans in Asia. That made him a believer Im not sure how many titles he won as a coach.

If Bale goes for £80m< then Suarez should go for £120m< and United can forget about signing Cronaldo unless we sell the whole starting eleven first.. its as simple as that imo.

Just shows you how Wenger's Mr. Nice Guy approach won't help anything. In this competitive business you have to be a prick, you have to be mean, tap people up, play dirty and get what you want at all costs.

If Wenger did all that Suarez would have thought "now there's an attitude I can subscribe to, I wanna work under this guy!"

I feel really sad for Liverpool. I think, with this kind of transfer policy, they will never compete with the manchester duo and the london trio. the only thing that makes them look a little bit better than the likes of west ham, aston villa, fulham that they have suarez (sadly, suarez). if they replace him with diego costa (also paying such an absurd amount of money!), they will be no more than just an average side in PL and they'll do it with spending.

p.s. what do you think liverpool's transfer committee are smoking over there at Anfield Road?
I dont know but I would like to smoke the same thing because so far they have been doing an amazing business.
The first transfer market they worked, they got Sturridge and Coutinho. Now they ve brought Toure, Mignolet, Aspas and Luis Alberto and in my perspective they seem like good transfers for a good price. Also they ve been clearing some wages that had no relation with their performance (Reina, Skrtel, Carroll .. Borini, Downing: they are going for you).
I havent seen much of Diego Costas but if this transfer commitee feel he is worth 21M then I trust them. Also cant hurt reading As and Marca, where fans are gutted, feel that he was their best player last season and worth more money than that.

I think FSG initially were smoking something when they gave Dalglish/Comolli a blank cheque to waste close to 70m on Carroll/Downing/Hendo.

After that they have got a bit more stingier, but still I feel 25m was wasted on Allen/Borini, even if they are still young players.....I feel especially Allen was not worth more than 8m....but we paid 15m....

But since then they have done decent business....Sturridge, Coutinho for 25m..
Aspas, Alberto, Mignolet, Toure for 25m...

I hope we never over-spend anymore.....TBH Real Madrid spending 85m on Gareth Bale is just crazy.....Bale is very good, but he's not worth that much....
Suarez is surely worth 55m....and Bale is worth 60m max.....

over-spending is one thing but my main concern was the 'quality' of the players they've brought in. the only player that is in Liverpool caliber(the liverpool I know) is Suarez, and maybe Mignolet as GK.

it wouldn't make sense to say every move they did was bad, though. for example, joe allen would well make a complementary part in a team that has 3-4 world class players but liverpool have only one world class player. but they keep bringing in players like borini, sturridge, kolo toure (way past it), aspas, alberto, downing, coutinho (you're too optimistic if you think he will be your go-to guy). yes, I'd also rate these as great transfers, but if the club's name was Swansea or Everton, not Liverpool. Liverpool, for the sake of its history, deserves to get better players and better results. and as far as I know, financial issues would hardly make an excuse here. I blame everyone at the club who are responsible of not getting 2-3 great players to the team but keep bringing the same ol out of favour young boys, unproven talents or incompetent brits*, plus, spending even more amount of money than they should.

*I mean no offence, sorry if I did

let´s wait..

btw, arsenal fans on suarez:

347gtjd.jpg

Steven Gerrard has told Luis Suárez a better career move than Arsenal is inevitable – and submitted as evidence the revelation he rejected a chance to leave Liverpool for a Champions League club, believed to be Bayern Munich, only last summer.

The Liverpool captain is being honoured for his 15-year service with a testimonial against Olympiakos on Saturday, when Suárez is expected to play at Anfield for the first time since biting Branislav Ivanovic in April and subsequently publicising his desire to quit the club. Gerrard himself came close to leaving Liverpool, for Chelsea in 2004 and 2005, before deciding to remain with his boyhood team. That commitment did not prevent tentative enquiries from clubs such as Real Madrid in later years and, Gerrard confessed, another European team only 12 months ago while he was recovering from groin trouble.

"I had a chance to leave last year," said the England captain. "It was for a club in the Champions League, not a Premier League club, but I wasn't tempted. I've been through that before."

Gerrard refused to name the interested club but it is understood that it came from Bayern, who ended the season as European champions. Now Gerrard believes that that level of interest in a player then aged 32 should be instructive to Suárez. Arsenal are the only club so far to have bid for the disillusioned striker and Liverpool will not countenance selling the 26-year-old to a Premier League rival for £40m plus one pound.

The midfielder explained: "That is the message for Luis. Move on if you want, further down the line, but a player of his calibre should wait for the big one to come to him. He deserves to play for one of the best teams in the world, a Barcelona or a Real Madrid. They will come calling for him again. I am hoping from a biased point of view that he gives us another year and shows us the form he did last season. Maybe it will be time for him to go next year or the year after. I don't think it is the right time for him to go just yet."

Gerrard admits Liverpool's prospects of ending a four-year absence from the Champions League next season rests on the Uruguay international. "What we can achieve this season depends on whether he stays or goes in my opinion," said the midfielder, who fears the divide between Liverpool and the top four could become permanent without a recovery in the near future.

"That is my main worry," the 33-year-old admitted. "I think that is the main worry for every Liverpool fan. It is no different for me as a player. The only difference is that I am in a position to do something about it on the pitch. I am sure all genuine Liverpool fans have that same concern and worry – that it becomes permanent and we can't bridge that gap – but we've got to keep fighting.

"I have confidence from looking at the last six months of last season that we can prove people wrong and break into the top four. But certain things have got to happen to help us do that and one of them is the main subject on everyone's lips – Luis Suárez. If we lose him we are taking steps backwards. If we keep him and add to him we will have a much better chance."

Liverpool have bid £21.8m for the Atlético Madrid forward Diego Costa but, with several big money targets missed out on, Gerrard insists the club cannot afford to sell Suárez, who has three years remaining on his Anfield contract. He added: "Can you imagine the reaction if the club just allowed Luis to go and to go to one of our rivals? Imagine the reaction around here if they just gave in easy. I think the club are doing the right thing by wanting to keep their best players.

"Look at Tottenham's stance on Luka Modric and now Gareth Bale. They don't make it easy for sides who want their top players and we need to do the same. That sends out the right message to supporters. It shows the supporters we mean business, that we are capable of challenging, and the only way to do that is by keeping your top players."

Equally, Gerrard believes Liverpool have to demonstrate their intent to Suárez by landing major targets even in the absence of Champions League football and amid fierce competition. He said: "The club has a responsibility to attract top players and to make all our jobs easier in trying to get back in there. I know they are trying their best to do that but what we have to accept is that there are other big clubs out there offering big money, and if they bid more than you there is nothing you can do."

Olympiakos, against whom Gerrard scored a crucial goal en route to Liverpool's Champions League triumph in 2005, are playing the testimonial for free as the midfielder attempts to raise more than £1m for his charity. His former team-mates Robbie Fowler and Jamie Carragher will play some part in the game.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/02/liverpool-steven-gerrard-luis-suarez

can´t wait to see tomorow´s testemonial with Carra and Fowler again in red!!

Poor Luis..had he been a halfway decent guy clubs would be knocking the door down at Anfield. The irony of him possibnly moving to a massive media market such as London isn't lost on me. He will start blaming Mourinho and Chelsea for influencing the FA and the English press though so at least United would be off the hook for a change. I'm sure we have some popcorn worthy moments in the new season.

Confirmed ‪#‎LFC‬ team to face Olympiacos in Steven Gerrard’s testimonial match…

Reds XI: Mignolet, Enrique, Agger, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling, Aspas.

Substitutes: Jones, Kelly, Alberto, Skrtel, Downing, Henderson, Ibe, Wisdom, Coates, Borini, Spearing, Suarez, Carragher, Fowler.

I thought there would be more EX players playing today .... seems Carra and Fowler are only ones!

hope to see a beauty from Gerrard today !

YouTube - [HD] Steven Gerrard Goal vs Olympiakos

as macca said, it´s not just testemonial match, but also the hardest pre-season match..

looking forward to see Mignolet against better competition..

starting lineups:

VT3HEWe.png

Liverpool are making this look easy, not sure if they are just that good, or if Olympiacos are simply taking this match less seriously.

I really like how fresh the players look, but I think we really need a replacement for Enrique. He looks pretty slow out there.

Not that this combination of forwards is setting the pitch on fire :P Suarez really looks like he doesn't give a s**t anymore. Then again, he's as good as gone.

another zero for Mignolet...long might it continue :P

man of the match: Sterling followed by Aspas and Allen.

BT sport give man of the match Coutinho

btw never heard of this BT Sport before , but looked good , hope to find streaming on sopcast from this channel !

Olympiacos looks really easy , maybe they just dont give maximum for this match , we dont look bad at all , maybe a class striker and a CB and we are really good ...

fans singing Suarez song ? really ?? he dont even do a small gesture or anything , in your face LFC fans who sing for that prick !

Back
Top Bottom