Liverpool Thread

I just don't understand why a team who finished 7th last season in EPL watched by more than 85.000 fans in Indonesia
998878_10151863601947573_283446486_n.jpg
and 95.000 fans in Australia
article-0-1AF86E8C000005DC-767_634x378.jpg
ZAH_MCG_LW-20130725021246311072-620x349.jpg
. CLASS could be explain. ;)

Well tik, i'm a Spurs fan, yet i completely disagree with you.
It's true that when you compare both teams best 11, then one might argue that Spurs are not far off Arsenal. But you don't play a season with 11 players (especially if, like Spurs, even the Euro League is an imprtant goal). Arsenal's squad has much more depth than Spurs'. Right after Spurs defeated Arsenal, i was the first o say that the race wasn't over yet and that i saw Arsenal defeat Spurs for 4th place, precisely because of their squad depth. In fact the day Sandro got injured IMO the race was as good as over...Last season when Dembele and Sandro played together, they were IMO more important than Bale (in the same period). The fact that Spurs was dependent on both Sandro/Dembele and (later) on Bale, is a sign of weakness. Arsenal isn't dependent of one player. I sincerely think with Suarez, Arsenal can become champions...but that is only my opinion of course.

The tone in my previous post was also set by Liverbird's post where he said that Suarez was a hypocrite because he wants to go to Arsenal... I know he has said that he wants to leave England because of the press, but surely nobody has ever taken that kind of talk seriously. That was talk of a player who wanted to go to Real Madrid. Now we hear a player who still wants to go to Real Madrid, but who realizes that he isn't the main target of that club. So he needs a plan B and that is Arsenal... is that being a hyporcrite ? No. That is being desperate.

I think Arsenal and Wenger are very desperate. Fergie was desperate and saw RVP went to MUTD I like to think Wenger learn something from Fergie about winning by desperation . It was the straw that broke the camel`s back (guard of amour at the Emirates). Suarez is not a trusted soul , Then again Arsenal fans learn not to put faith on any players` loyalty. Suarez is a goal machine and Wenger passed on many players that had trouble past . So seeing how he disregards Suarez troubles is a shocking y es revalando.

Liverpool is a massive club with and without CL. i think the preseason just proved it so far.

if they sell, then to more rich owners who can get this club where it belongs asap.

Exactly, Liverpool are such a massive name in world football, I'm surprised that it was only FSG who bought us....when you look at Monaco, PSG, Malaga being taken over...with all due respect Liverpool are a far more appealing name globally.....imagine Liverpool back in the CL with the kind of money being pumped into Monaco or PSG......

I think FSG know that they have already blown so much money over the last few seasons, so now we're witnessing smaller level signings like Alberto, Aspas, Toure.....and with them trying to trim the wage bill ...
and now with Suarez also trying to move.....I can't see us attracting any big players.....UNLESS we get bought by some big Arab/Russian entity.....who can pump in the money to get a bigger name manager and players... I know it's not the ideal way ....and the less romantic way....but it's the reality.

FSG were great in rescuing Liverpool from the previous owners, but I think they also realize that with their current model, there is no way they can compete with top teams in the league,..forget about the CL.

Liverpool is undoubtedly a massive club, but players will prefer to recieve CL football both for their own tastes and for preserving their market value and increasing their chances of national selection.

Liverpool team v Thailand

Mignolet, Enrique, Agger, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Coutinho, Aspas, Borini.

Substitutes: Jones, Skrtel, Kelly, Flanagan, Suarez, Spearing, Wisdom, Robinson, Henderson, Alberto, Downing, Sterling, Ibe, Coates, Assaidi, Ward.

It's a huge improvement. With Arsenal you are guarnateed CL football...and i do agree with bebo, as much as i don't like Suarez, with him Arsenal can compete for the title or a cup win.

It is also funny that some Liverpool finally begin to see Suarez for what he is, a hypocrite, albeit for the wrong reasons...

I thought arsenal still have to go through the qualifiers so theyre not guaranteed anything, and if you look at trophies in the last 8 years liverpool have been much more successful

The preseason tour ended. and what a tour it was.... this tour proved that the club position in PL table last season didn´t harm the reputation at all. The fans were fanatic, the stadiums full to their capacity everywhere... the scenes of true support were incredible. The results were good and hopefully we can build on this tour for next season..

from LFC.com:

The Reds played in front of 224,000 supporters in three stadiums, helped 18 charities, established three new charitable partnerships, flew 21,500 miles and collected countless memories thanks to our incredible fans in Indonesia, Australia and Thailand.

Steven Gerrard took time out of our final day to hold a message of thanks to all the supporters who've helped make the last 13 days so unforgettable for everyone connected to the club.

The summer tour saw the club continue its global digital expansion with dedicated websites for our Thailand and Indonesia supporters, our Australian Facebook page, and LFCtour.com.

We also communicated directly with fans in the tour countries via dedicated Twitter feeds @LFCANZ, @ThaiLFC and @OfficialLFC_ID, which are operated by local staff.

The club would like to thank everyone in Indonesia, Australia and Thailand for making the 2013 tour our biggest and best ever.

YNWA.

Brendan Rodgers' side rounded off their tour of Indonesia, Australia and Thailand in style, with Philippe Coutinho and Iago Aspas also on the score-sheet, to maintain their 100 per cent pre-season record.

Off the pitch the Reds have been overwhelmingly supported every step of the way and Gerrard considers the trip to have been a resounding success for a number of reasons.

The skipper told LFC TV: "We couldn't ask for more. It has been a really good trip.

"It's been very successful from obviously a financial point of view - the turnout we've had at every stadium has been superb - but for fitness reasons and also team spirit."

The Reds played in front of more than 200,000 fans across their three tour fixtures, and were rapturously greeted by many thousands more as they travelled around the region.

As club captain, Gerrard has talked during the past fortnight of his responsibility to show the players' appreciation for the fans - and the skipper delivered a heartfelt thank-you today.

"You only have to look at the level of support we have everywhere we go," the 33-year-old added.

"It just goes to show how big this football club is and how privileged we all are to be a part of the first team.

"We can send a message out to every group of fans in Indonesia, Australia and Thailand - a big thank-you from all the players and staff."

The tour allowed the midfielder to complete his comeback from shoulder surgery at the conclusion of 2012-13, with the exciting prospect of his testimonial against Olympiacos to follow next weekend.

However, the Liverpool No.8 insists the focus within the dressing room is on one fixture - the opening Barclays Premier League match of the new campaign, at home to Stoke City on August 17.

He said: "I've obviously had a couple of issues with blisters and stuff but I've managed to get as many minutes as I wanted to get out of it and I've done 95 per cent of the training. So from a personal point of view, I'm exactly where I want to be.

"As players, we have to openly admit this is not the time of year you enjoy. Training is very difficult, we're jetlagged at the moment and our sleep is all over the place - but there's still three weeks to go.

"We've got some really good friendlies to look forward to but, I won't lie to you, we're all looking forward to the Friday night before Stoke when it's all in the bank."

gerrard1000_51f5260cbcfa8356269226.jpg

Indonesia:
1002108_10151864183367573_1277497156_n.jpg

264861_10151864183692573_1304570886_n.jpg

1003315_10151864183887573_1396484096_n.jpg

1075757_10151864183962573_1131338756_n.jpg

1075654_10151864184132573_688810770_n.jpg

1044066_10151864183167573_528275979_n.jpg

941250_10151864183017573_556838842_n.jpg

1044723_10151864183012573_1910472188_n.jpg

BPpHA5QCAAIazRV.jpg:large

1069240_10151864181577573_775976784_n.jpg

Australia:
tumblr_mqfp3qjkGD1qft8kco1_1280.jpg

BP7kkj7CEAE-HL0.jpg

BP714djCUAApURF.jpg

BP7xp-MCUAAH3Ya.jpg

174331042_700X420.jpg

article-2375833-1AF86331000005DC-647_634x416.jpg

Thailand:
BQGzaQOCcAAI2xS.jpg
1010861_307247889422011_445216662_n.jpg

71407_205904856234270_295365360_n.jpg

:RSCARF::RSCARF::RSCARF:

174613345.jpg

Last edited:
OK, Goalgerd. Liverpool won more "silverware" than Arsenal. I doubt that many players will come to Liverpool because they won a League Cup or an FA Cup.
Unfortunately for players reaching the CL is more important than winning the Euro League or any other trophy (except the CL of course). I don't think this is a good thing for football but it is the way things are nowadays.
People in here say that Liverpool is a great club and that the chance that super rich people will take over is bigger...
I don't think so unfortanutely. What Sugar daddies need is a club that is available with not that much fans that aren't too much organized. Which clubs were recently taken over by Sugar daddy's ? PSG, Malaga, Monaco, Chelsea, Zenith, Manchester City. Are they big clubs ?

When i think about big traditional clubs i think about: Man Utd and Liverpool in England (and only those two), Ajax, Bayern Munchen, Juventus, Milan and Inter, Benfica, Real Madrid and Barcelona, and perhaps clubs like Porto, Olympique Marseille, Dynamo Kiev and Red Star Belgrade. Might have forgotten one or two clubs (Celtic ?) but not much.

Are any of those clubs taken over by Sugar daddies ? Not really (one might say the 3 Italian clubs in that list, but that is at least more than 20 years ago, not recently).

Letter from Pepe Reina to the Liverpool fans.

It is a strange feeling for me to think that next season I will not be a Liverpool player. For the past eight years, that is all I have known. The club, the staff, the city, the people and the supporters have played a massive part in my life. Liverpool is special in a way that only those who are lucky enough to experience the club close up can understand. It has given me memories that will live with me forever and friendships that will last just as long.

But more than anything else, it has given me an understanding of what it is like to play for the most wonderful English club. I may not have won as many trophies and medals as I would have liked since joining in 2005 but the experiences I have been a part of are as important as any silverware. I now understand how supporters can lift a team and inspire them to do special things. I appreciate that there is something unique about Anfield and the atmosphere it creates. I believe that anything is possible no matter what the situation is because at Liverpool there is no such thing as a lost cause. And I have been humbled by the fight for justice for the 96 which showed me that the Liverpool people will always fight for what they believe in.

I know that I have been blessed to be part of a Club like that and I hope that in return I have always given my best and represented Liverpool in the right way. There have been good times and bad times but no matter what the situation has been I hope that my passion has been clear. I have been asked what my favourite Liverpool moment was and if I had to pick one it wouldn’t be a save or winning a trophy. It would be my celebration against Manchester United when David Ngog scored a late goal. That is probably the quickest I have ever run in my life! It shows what playing for Liverpool meant to me and also that there was nothing better than winning a big game at Anfield. I used to look at the Kop when we scored those kind of goals in big games and I would be jealous of the supporters going crazy. If the closest I will get to that is running the length of the pitch and jumping on my team mates backs then that will do for me.

Obviously, I won’t be able to do that next season but I hope that the supporters and my team mates will be able to enjoy many more moments like that. They deserve the best of times and it would give me so much pleasure to see Liverpool back where they belong, challenging for trophies and getting back into the top four. That was where the club was when I first arrived and although I am leaving a different club, one with new owners, a new manager, new players and new challenges, I honestly believe that Liverpool can reach those levels again.

I am disappointed that I will not be part of that and although it was not my decision to leave I will accept it just like I have always accepted any decision that Liverpool have taken for me. They signed me, picked me, gave me some of the best experiences of my life and looked after me. If they feel that the best thing for me and for them is for me to go on loan to Napoli for a season then so be it. Napoli is a new challenge for me and I know that the fans are just as passionate about their team as the Liverpool fans, so I am really looking forward to playing for them this season and I will give my all.

But if I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving. It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first, I thought that I deserved better than that even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football. A lot has been made about me informing the club that if an offer came in from Barcelona that I would have liked them to consider it. But I had also spoken to the club about the possibility of extending my contract if the offer was not made. I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home. When it didn’t come I was happy to fight for my place so I was surprised that Liverpool decided it was in the club´s interests to send me to Napoli instead.

None of this will change my feelings for the club or the people in any way and now I have to look forward to a new challenge with Rafa Benitez, who I consider to be the best manager I have worked with, and I am fortunate to be going from one great club to another. Napoli remind me in many ways of the Liverpool I found in 2005, in all the affection they have shown me on my arrival, in having an ambitious project, even in coinciding and working with Benitez again…This memory which in part unites me with you, makes me happy and feel very motivated to begin this new project.

This is my chance to say thank you to everyone for everything that you have given to me and to my family. My children consider Liverpool to be their home and hopefully their love for the city and also for the club will only grow while we are away. I would have liked to have been able to say goodbye in a different way but because of the way the move came about this was not possible.

Maybe in the near future I can do it properly so that I can show my appreciation to you but all I would ask now is that you keep on inspiring the manager and the players just like you always have done and help Liverpool to become the club that you deserve once again. I would like nothing better than to come back at the end of my year away and for Liverpool to be back where they belong.

Thank you for everything. Good luck. I will see you soon.

Pepe Reina.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pepe-reinas-message-liverpool-fc-5378113

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom