Liverpool Thread

Correct me if i'm wrong Pipa, because i'm not sure about what i'm going to write.

I have the impression that Liverpool bought Suarez after his first bite and thus (if make the same reasoning as you Pipa) bought him considerably under his true market value.

I'm also there will be enough clubs cynical or desperate enough to buy Suarez and take the risk to loose him every season for about 10 matches (because Suarez will of course repeat his mistakes).

IMO the best thing Liverpool can do is sell Suarez ASAP and buy a top player with the moeny they got from him. I'm quite sure his value will continue to devaluate...

Exactly. Liverpool bought Suarez when he was already banned at Ajax.
He is a much more famous player now, having won Uruguay the Copa America and become one of the top strikers in the EPL.

So I can't imagine him going for anything less than 40m.

For me, he is not worth the annual 10+ game ban.
After all the fuss, we are no better than finishing 7th or 8th inspite of having this "top" player.

If we can buy 2-3 players like Sturridge with that kind of money, then the team will improve and we will no longer be a 1-man army, but have many points of attack, and make us more possible for higher place in the table.

Exactly. Liverpool bought Suarez when he was already banned at Ajax.
He is a much more famous player now, having won Uruguay the Copa America and become one of the top strikers in the EPL.

So I can't imagine him going for anything less than 40m.

For me, he is not worth the annual 10+ game ban.
After all the fuss, we are no better than finishing 7th or 8th inspite of having this "top" player.

If we can buy 2-3 players like Sturridge with that kind of money, then the team will improve and we will no longer be a 1-man army, but have many points of attack, and make us more possible for higher place in the table.

So with the 40mil who would you buy? Would you spread it over 2 or 3 really good 15mil players or would you go all out to buy a superstar for 40Mil.... Would a cavani or a player of that type come to liverpool??

So with the 40mil who would you buy? Would you spread it over 2 or 3 really good 15mil players or would you go all out to buy a superstar for 40Mil.... Would a cavani or a player of that type come to liverpool??

Probably wasn't an open question but for £40m:

- Ben Arfa has likely pissed off the Newcastle fans and club and so will probably be available for £10-15m

- Montoya and Dos Santos are likely to be sold by Barcelona as they look to clear their decks this summer and I can't see them costing more that £15m combined.

- QPR may try to re-coup what they've spent last summer, and so they may be willing to sell on Remy for £10m giving you a striker to use in place of Suarez.

Just add two players, for example Benteke (new CF) and Remy (RW) to our attack and we would look sorted in that area pretty much, with Sturridge, Borini and Suarez able to play as CF and other positions...Sturridge and Suarez also able to play as wingers... that would be ideal for us, becouse i doubt we ever see Carroll in LFC shirt again personally.

we need to buy one or two CB, one older experienced and one top class prospect + one DM to cover for Lucas... this would be ideal summer for us..

CF
RW
DM cover
CB cover
CB starter

Correct me if i'm wrong Pipa, because i'm not sure about what i'm going to write.

I have the impression that Liverpool bought Suarez after his first bite and thus (if make the same reasoning as you Pipa) bought him considerably under his true market value.

I'm also there will be enough clubs cynical or desperate enough to buy Suarez and take the risk to loose him every season for about 10 matches (because Suarez will of course repeat his mistakes).

IMO the best thing Liverpool can do is sell Suarez ASAP and buy a top player with the moeny they got from him. I'm quite sure his value will continue to devaluate...

i don´t know about the ajax ban to be honest..might be as you say..but, all i know he was breaking records at ajax and club captain that time...

i don´t agree we will just replace a player like him if he will leave eventually, he is one of a kidn player, that only comes once in many years...

pure talent, i admit he is crazy, but also crazy good at football.

imagine how many goals he scored in amazing way..

Suarez-norwich.gif

1356884466190.gif

1351438028585.gif

SUAREZ-FREE-KICK.gif

iYjbKvrCJQW0R.gif

Suarez3rdnorw.gif

suarez-bending-free-kick.gif

YouTube - Luis Suarez Top 10 Liverpool Goals 2012

+ how many he didn´t scored in amazing way...as this against arsenal for example..

Suarez_0.gif

he is extraordinary player and you just don´t sell those.

Last edited:
Just add two players, for example Benteke (new CF) and Remy (RW) to our attack and we would look sorted in that area pretty much, with Sturridge, Borini and Suarez able to play as CF and other positions...Sturridge and Suarez also able to play as wingers... that would be ideal for us, becouse i doubt we ever see Carroll in LFC shirt again personally.

we need to buy one or two CB, one older experienced and one top class prospect + one DM to cover for Lucas... this would be ideal summer for us..

CF
RW
DM cover
CB cover
CB starter

For example Benteke would be 15-20m,
Remy would be 7-10m,
And other 3 players for total 20m

That's 40-50m.

Only way that will happen is if we sell Carroll and Skrtel for 20-30m combined.

we still have owners who invest something i guess... ;) i hope we don´t have to sell to many to buy players.. Skrtel will go only if we manage to find a club to pay his wages becouse he has still a contract here for longer time and i read his last slovak interview, very good one in wich he stated that he is up for the competition and he talks a lot with Brendan, he isn´t happy but wants to fight for his place..so it´s difficult for the team to sell if the player doesn´t want to go under his price, wich after the last reneweal isn´t small..

for Carroll, i will be happy if we manage to get 10 - 15 mil. maximum

edit: and about those playrs, we are in position where we won´t pay much for their wages, certainly not more than Tottenham can pay Remy or even Benteke for example...they took this way Sigurdsson and Dempsey... but for the better, becouse now i´m thankfull we didn´t get them over having Sturridge and Coutinho... and i´m even more glad we didn´t waste money on Sneijder over Coutinho... at least in this area i feel confident in our scouting team after long time...

so any big money moves of top players linked TO LFC will be 90% bullshit, as our owners won´t overpay on players, their wages definetly...they aim to build this team for 5 years or so...the next buys probably will be only older players if our current most experienced will also move out..like Carra or Skrtel, in other cases it will be only young players i believe.

Last edited:
I have not seen enough of Benteke or Remy to have made up my mind on either, but I'm not getting excited about rumors of either arriving at Liverpool.

For as good as Benteke has been at Villa, I don't think he's the type of player that you would see fit in with Rodgers system. I think Rodgers wants the same type of players in attack that you see at Bayern, Dortmund, Barcelona, Tottenham, and Manchester United. Forwards with super high offensive and defensive work rates, great ball control and dribbling technique, good passing ability, and ridiculous physique and speed. Benteke certainly has the physique, but from my viewing plays a bit more as a static target man... a forward type that doesn't fit into the free flowing high pressing side that I think Rodgers is trying to build.

Remy seems to tick a few more boxes, he's got pace and dribbling all over the place, but I'm yet to be convinced of his playmaking ability or defensive workrate. Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of QPR, but I'd rather take a chance on a player with more of a creative upside. Again, I could be wrong on Remy's potential, but he seems to be just another speed dribbler who doesn't really invite his teammates to join in the fun. I know I'm describing Arjen Robben (who is fantasticly selfish, but also just plain fantastic) who I'd love to have at Liverpool, but I don't think Remy looks to be nearly as good as Robben at the same age so I'd rather spend money elsewhere.

Liverpool could use another player to add some creativity and spark in the final 3rd of the pitch (and maybe with another year of development it could be Suso, Sterling, or someone else already in the squad) but Liverpool haven't been lacking in the goals this season (although I'd have like to have seen some of those goals spread out a bit more evenly...) Anyways, what Liverpool needs more than anything are defenders that fit into Rodgers system. Priority 1 has to be to identify and acquire ball playing central defenders. I think Agger fits the role if he can stay on the field as he has this season, but Liverpool need to find him a better partner because too many teams were forcing Skrtel into possession to force a bad pass. Rodgers bringing Carragher back into the side might have initially been for better defensive organization (which he certainly improved), but I believed Carragher cemented his spot back in the starting 11 with his turn-back-the-clock distribution skills. I don't know if the slew of central defenders plying their way in the Dutch league that have been linked with Liverpool will make it, but at least they're defenders already playing in a similar system where they are required to have the on-the-ball skills that Rodgers covets.

Seems to me that managers generally build squads in one of two ways... 1. Squads with a lot of diversity in player type where everyone plays to specific roles; or 2. Squads with a lot of players of the same type where a lot of players can play a lot of different positions. Benitez (and Hodgson and Daglish) and Mourinho are typical of type 1 and Guardiola and Rodgers are typical of type 2. When you go from one type to another, you are going to see a predictable turnover. One manager's treasure can be another manager's trash and whatnot. So far, Rodgers seems to hitting about 50/50 on his transfer dealings which isn't so bad, especially considering his "misses" may still develop and probably haven't lost tremendous resale value. I look forward to Liverpool's next arrivals and I hope Rodgers can continue to build on what has been a tremendous rebuilding season (with points per game trending up-up-up), again, in my opinion.

Benteke is not the type of player Liverpool wants, Benteke should stay with Villa or (if they are relegated) go to a club like Everton...

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers boosted by arrival of two new scouts from Manchester City

Last summer, Liverpool lured Dave Fallows as head of recruitment and scouting while Barry Hunter also joined as a chief scout. The pair had also worked together at the Etihad Stadium.

They will now be joined at Anfield by Andy Sayer and Kevin Hunt, who have been key members of Manchester City’s scouting network in recent years. Sayer had responsibility for monitoring players in Germany, Holland and Scandinavia.

Hunt made 282 appearances for League of Ireland side Bohemians prior to moving into scouting.

A number of City scouts have been understood to be frustrated at the club’s policy of largely targeting well-known, big-money signings, while the latest arrivals at Anfield are part of the ongoing revamp of Liverpool’s recruiting staff.

Essentially, the club’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, want safeguards to ensure no individual has too much power to buy and sell without a more thorough vetting process.

There is a view at the club that under successive regimes, going back over a decade, the power of the manager has been too absolute on occasions, leading to a lack of due diligence on players and bad decisions in the transfer market.

FSG believes the more eyes and ears there are assessing a player, the better. This will also ensure the club never favours particular agents or agencies.

However, this does create the possibility that even if manager Brendan Rodgers is adamant he wants a particular player, it could be blocked if there is no broad consensus among the committee reporting to the owners.

Rodgers has remained firm in his view he will have the final say and will not have any players he does not want. He has accepted, however, some of his choices could be rejected by the board.

The Liverpool manager says this — and the notion of a ‘committee’ – is no different to the principles at most clubs, where the manager has a support network around him but must work within budget.

Rodgers said: “We have a number of people, scouting staff and analysts, who will look for targets who fit the profile of the players that we want.”

The £12 million pursuit of Swansea City’s Ashley Williams this summer is, in many respects, perceived as a test case because while the manager is clearly keen to pursue the player there are younger alternatives being observed by the scouting team.
Last month, managing director Ian Ayre explained how Liverpool were adopting a more collaborative approach to transfers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...l-of-two-new-scouts-from-Manchester-City.html

Interesting. Ive wanted to see since a long time a club where transfers were managed by a committee and not by just the manager or the DOF.

That's how the Red Sox operate in baseball, a manager job is to manage the players and the scouts and general managers job is to evaluate and choose talent based on the system in place with some input from the manager

Hi,

I'm not actually sure if this the proper thread to post this but it doesn't matter to me that much. I'm a die-hard Liverpool fan since 2007 and I remember what made me become one. The first match I saw them playing against Chelsea and I felt like I'm one of them. The way they play with compassion and Fernando Torres. He was truly of hero just not mine but many others because his heart was there. So, I recently got this video from one of my friends who tweeted me and I literally cried at the end of the video. I wish he was still here and actually get the proper farewell. The thing that really hurt me is not only he left us but he didn't say goodbye. You will still be remember and you will never walk alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmkPHR7ZGk

-Regards,
Kimberly.

he left by requesting a move in most difficult time for the club to react on it.. i guess it´s his own fault for not saying goodbye in other way...

did you miss me guys :D

I didnt mean to say as fight to PIPA that "shut up please" it was more like look we can win without suarez as he said "we would be 3th from bottom of table"

but apologise to pipa I really didnt mean that bad way or fight with him , anyway fair enough 7 days ban I guess , it could be worst hehe

it´s ok, i don´t mind people getting passionate about football, it happens all the time, at least on field.. but i agree there should be some rules for all, i try to follow them myself so i hope all can ;)

hope we win tomorow...even a win would make Everton staying one point above..very frustrating..but a derby loss would be though to bare at this point...

he left by requesting a move in most difficult time for the club to react on it.. i guess it´s his own fault for not saying goodbye in other way...

The only mistake he made was leaving too late Pipa.
Liverpool destoyed him, he played far too much.

Suarez has understood this very well, he plans some rest periods himself...
Of course this is a rather bad taste joke, but i don't understand the way Liverpool fans feel towards Torres. They should be thoroughly thankfull to him. He knackered himself for the club and all het gets now is booing by those stupid tribalistic fans.

but he signed a long term deal in 2009, so it´s obviously not sporting reasons.. He was fed up with the owners + he wanted a biger challenge to win a trophy.. no Liverpool supporter is angry on him about that, but rather about the fact in what manner and circumstances he left..

Speculations PIPA, you talk about stuff you know nothing about. Whether Suarez was bought with Torres' transfer money or not is irrelevant. They bought Suarez and sold Torres at more or less the same time. Whether it was the exact same money or not doesn't matter. Torres left, Suarez arrived, case closed.

Anyway, the classic LFC scenario is that every time they buy a player rumors surface that the newly bought player has been a LFC fan since before he was born. After a while, the fans expect a video where the newly bought player states his eternal love for the club, which happens to be the greatest club in the world just a tad dorment at the moment. Next up, if there's trouble in paradise, the player is expected to sign a long term contract and repeat the love for the club to appease the fans. This happens from time to time in other clubs as well, but not always.

LFC fans are like people in general, but maybe a bit closer to "general" than other fans. The world wants to be fooled, and LFC fans especially.

Last edited:
Speculations PIPA, you talk about stuff you know nothing about. Whether Suarez was bought with Torres' transfer money or not is irrelevant. They bought Suarez and sold Torres at more or less the same time. Whether it was the exact same money or not doesn't matter. Torres left, Suarez arrived, case closed.

Anyway, the classic LFC scenario is that every time they buy a player rumors surface that the newly bought player has been a LFC fan since before he was born. After a while, the fans expect a video where the newly bought player states his eternal love for the club, which happens to be the greatest club in the world just a tad dorment at the moment. Next up, if there's trouble in paradise, the player is expected to sign a long term contract and repeat the love for the club to appease the fans. This happens from time to time in other clubs as well, but not always.

LFC fans are like people in general, but maybe a bit closer to "general" than other fans. The world wants to be fooled, and LFC fans especially.

I can back up everything with official page links, so yeah i don´t know anything for sure, but who of us does? at least i present official sources. Suarez was bought here to play with Torres. The club rejected Torres transfer request officially. Why on earth would LFC buy a Torres replacement in Andy Carroll then?! Do you think Dalglish wanted to sell Torres just to buy Carroll for 35 mil. pounds...that makes no sence at all. The team was in shock and wanted to react quickly.. this move cost Dalglish and mostly Comolli his job.

yeah i know that, but logically, why would the club risk and spend more than a half of what they got for selling Torres for unproven Andy Carroll, making british transfer record, other than being in panic to replace Torres who insisted to go... it makes no sence. If the club planed Torres sale, they would plan his replacement as well and wouldn´t risk that much for Carroll or any other player... they would expect Torres wanting out, but they didn´t. obviously.

c'mon guys why you bring Torres story back , it was clearn even before torres left he was spend player and was nothing left on him , im glad we cash him , just problem was we fucked up buying players like carroll and downing with those money !

if there is a player i still feel sorry why he left its Owen and Xabi Alonso , even other guy like Hyppia (all tho this guy was old but i feelt like he still could play few more season with us)

Back
Top Bottom