Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Can we stand our goalie against a brick wall with his hands tied behind his back and get everyone of our players to take shots at him from 6 yards, that`ll learn him.

Shocking today, we just didnt have the desire or determination. Its one of the biggest games of the season for us and the players looked like they didnt give a toss. That is not how it should be

Well said Mr Wright, we need some quality backup for Alonso, Hamann sits too far back.

CWright said:
Can we stand our goalie against a brick wall with his hands tied behind his back and get everyone of our players to take shots at him from 6 yards, that`ll learn him.

Shocking today, we just didnt have the desire or determination. Its one of the biggest games of the season for us and the players looked like they didnt give a toss. That is not how it should be
Agree!!! :applause: Garcia went missing at times today amongst others and am I the only person who thinks Riise has bad distribution (despite his attacking qualities). I thought the only player who showed real heart today was Carragher - a warning perhaps, not to rely on too many Spaniards? Having said that, two of them were not exactly match fit..... :(

we deserved to lose, did'nt seem to be able to break them down.
they stuck to their plan and it worked perfectly.

I'm not sure playing two debutants in such a big match like this was the right thing
to do....but morientes showed some classy touches...he will really be a great scorer for us.

mathewsss said:
I'm not sure playing two debutants in such a big match like this was the right thing
to do....but morientes showed some classy touches...he will really be a great scorer for us.

I think with a bit of match practice he'll be great for the reds. Some interesting flicks and touches showing a bit of invention. I have to say my heart was in my mouth when he chested the ball down to volley on the edge of the area..... 8)

We deserved to get beat tonight. Rafa didn't show the FA Cup any respect with his team selection. He should have played the first 11 tonight and played the youngsters in the Watford game(s). I know which competition is more important.

Oh crap! We've just done an Everton and lost to lower league opposition in the cup.........

i could only burst out into a fit of laughter after watching djimi traore spin the ball into his net.

we were so shit tonight. we showed no respect to them whatsoever. we didnt deserve to win. IGOR BISCAN IS WANK

burnley for the cup

Anyone else think if Dudek had dived he might have been able to palm Jimmy Traore's backheel round the post ?? It didnt seem to be going that fast, and must have only been inches away from him...

What a shocker that is, can't believe the weakened team he played, showing disrepect to Burnley and the Cup.
Although to be honest, I think Liverpool have went with Houllier wasting money on countless French men, to his Spanish equivalent (think Alonso and Morientes are good players though).

FD

Well that is what can happen when you disrespect the FA Cup. Surely its not all bad though? 1 game from the Carling Cup Final and the CL to look forward to.

Against Man Utd
mathewsss said:
we deserved to lose, did'nt seem to be able to break them down.
they stuck to their plan and it worked perfectly.

Against Burnley
jayjays said:
We deserved to get beat tonight. Rafa didn't show the FA Cup any respect with his team selection. He should have played the first 11 tonight and played the youngsters in the Watford game(s). I know which competition is more important.

You lot are starting to create a pattern here. After seeing Exeter against United, how can anyone possibly underestimate their opponents?

The headline from one of todays papers is "Djimi Krankie." That sums it up nicely.

Just goes to show that if you dont take a game seriously and think you will walk it just by turning up you will get fucked over. Again we were rubbish and our season will only get worse should we keep playing like a team of strangers

cfdh_edmundo said:
Anyone else think if Dudek had dived he might have been able to palm Jimmy Traore's backheel round the post ?? It didnt seem to be going that fast, and must have only been inches away from him...

He could have dived (although I bet no other keeper would have from the unexpectedness of something like that happening) but he wouldn't have prevented the goal.

Well Rafa has learned his lesson, at least we can concerntrate better on the league and CL...

Last edited:

To be fair, the FA cup is obviously low priority for Benitez and our overall squad is really lacking depth. I think it is unfair to compare Benitez to Houllier, as the squad needs a complete rebuild and this will take time.

STR said:
He could have dived (although I bet no other keeper would have from the unexpectedness of something like that happening) but he wouldn't have prevented the goal.
Maybe all keepers should try to expect the unexpected happening.

"We did the same thing in the League Cup and went to Tottenham with a similar line-up and won," said the Spaniard whose team drew 0-0 with Championship Watford in the first leg of their semi-final tie in that competition earlier this month.

quote from yahoo sport. is this just total bullshit or what. we won 1-0....

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050119/3/8kon.html

Personally I wouldn't criticise Rafa for playing a depleted team in the FA Cup, but I would criticise who he selected to play in the team. IMO he should have played a couple of first teamers in midfield (probably Hamann and Riise) just to add a bit of stability.

To be honest though (and as strange as it sounds) the FA Cup was probably our lowest priority at this point of the season, as a semi-final of the Carling Cup has got to take priority over the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Plus it may be a blessing in disguise to have a few Saturdays off when the Cup games are being played, especially with the squad being so depleted with injuries.

I think we're now about to enter the most important 5 weeks of the season as on paper we have 5 league games that we SHOULD win, and if we could take 15 points then I'd expect the gap between us and Everton to be down to a point or two at the most. I think that once we get in front of Everton, we should grow in confidence and cement 4th place as our own, especially as we have 5 of our 6 toughest games out of the way. And of course there's that small European tie to worry about...

Overall though, I think that a lot of the stick that Benitez seems to be picking up is very unfair. He's done well in the short time that he's been here, and if we hadn't lost so many players through injury this season I think we'd definitely be in a stronger position in the league than we are now. If we can finish 4th, make the quarter final of the CL and win the Carling Cup I think that would be a very impressive first season.

I'll be very surprised if they win the Carling Cup. If it wasn't for qualifying for the next round of the CL (thought Liverpool where rather fortunate too) then Benitez wouldn't be getting away as lightly as Houllier. Could well finish 4th, but that's due to the huge differences between the standards of teams in the EPL i.e. Chelsea (due to money only), then a bit further down the ladder Man Utd and Arsenal and then way down the ladder...........the rest.

Liverpool should be aiming far higher than 4th place (way behind the top 3) and a League Cup.

FD

I agree that we should be aiming higher, but it's Rafa's first season and he's basically had to start from scratch.

When you consider that he inherited a squad which contained a lot of very average players, then suffered very, very badly with injuries to key players (Baros, Cisse, Gerrard, Alonso, Kirkland) and has had to change the style of play completely, I think that he's done quite well.

Also, a lot of people seem to forget that we lost our star striker in the summer and he was never replaced. I think that Arsenal would have struggled without Henry, especially if they then also lost the best remaining two strikers through long term injuries.

Our fully fit first eleven is a very good side, but unfortunately it's not been seen yet this season. I'd fancy us to make a couple of quality signings in the summer and to be definitely moving up the table next season.

Carson is a good signing, expect Dudek to be shown the door during the summer. Southampton tommorow away, I don't expect an easy game seeing as we we're unconvincing against them at home and Redknapp recently bolstering his squad.

You said it mate! Saints 2-0 Scousers and it aint even half-time. Oh dear :shock:

Back
Top Bottom