Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Unfortunately, that is not the way it works for GK's.
You can have 10 great saves in a match and make one big mistake: then you have a bad match.
On top of that (and that may be unfair, but it is a fact), a prone error GK (and that is what Reina is for the moment) will have a negative impact on the rest of the team. The team plays with the jitters...

David James springs to mind.

I dont think you can really put too much blame on any Liverpool player for that goal. Yes in an ideal world Reina would have stayed on his line, but in forcing Agüero wide he did something that would have worked 99 times out of 100. From that angle and distance it seemed impossible that Agüero could score, there is hardly another player in the league who do that, and even Agüero himself might struggle to repeat it in exactly the same scenario. It was audacious skill, ability and also a bit of luck, it's a bit moot to apply blame to any defending player (or keeper in such circumstances).

What's Benni been banned for?

Ah come on...
He did nothing wrong.
Most people were far less tolerant for him than for other posters.

Pu6hy, i don't mind swearing.
It's the fact that you hardly discuss with arguments...
But yes, i'm not your mother...you are old enough to know better.
No hard feelings.

Ah come on...
He did nothing wrong.
Most people were far less tolerant for him than for other posters.

Pu6hy, i don't mind swearing.
It's the fact that you hardly discuss with arguments...
But yes, i'm not your mother...you are old enough to know better.
No hard feelings.

There's never hard feelings Gerd. Don't worry about that.

I didn't feel the need to justify Reina's qualities. As I mentioned he has made a few mistakes but what keeper hasn't? There isn't any keeper about that doesn't make mistakes. He is still a top class keeper. I can't believe some people are calling for his head. Fans are just so fickle though.

so who do we want to replace Reina?

id go Asmir Begovic, Ron-Robert Zieler or Marc-Andre ter Stegen, someone that can be there for 5 to 10 years

Last edited:

Rnb1H9h.gif

Yeah, neither here nor there given the level, but Shelvey, Henderson and Ince were very impressive for the U21s.

Ince in particular looked quality.

so who do we want to replace Reina?

id go Asmir Begovic, Ron-Robert Zieler or Marc-Andre ter Stegen, someone that can be there for 5 to 10 years

Begovic said in an interview he expects to be sold in the summer but that he can't move to a smaller club. *runs*

Last edited:

It'll fascinate me to see if the next, presumably young, goal keeper of Liverpool gets as much terrible treatment from the media as the young new goal keeper of United. Just when I thought I couldn't dislike the English media anymore, their ceaseless attacking of a 21 year old that has never done anything bad to them blows my mind.

It'll fascinate me to see if the next, presumably young, goal keeper of Liverpool gets as much terrible treatment from the media as the young new goal keeper of United. Just when I thought I couldn't dislike the English media anymore, their ceaseless attacking of a 21 year old that has never done anything bad to them blows my mind.

I think if he has a similarly big flaw in a vital aspect of his game he probably will. For instance Gomes (of Spurs) was pretty much ridiculed as a goal keeper. I agree that foreign players are subject to more critisim than UK ones, but even a UK keeper who was poor would get a bad press look at Rob Green - in the same way other fans and the press are calling David De Gea "De Flapper", David James was called "Calamity James". If the keepers improve and eliminate the weaknesses then the critisim will ebb away - by 2005 James had been a bit more stable and the critisim went, similarly with Erik Thorsvedt at Tottenham, poor at first but a decent keeper by the early 1990s. Even this season I can remeber Gary Neville saying he'd "never seen Julio Cesar make a proper save" a few weeks ago, but now most journalists and fans recognise him as the in form keeper in the league. Some top class foreign keepers don't really get that much critisim at all (Van Der Saar, Howard, Given (until he got too old and his reflexes went in the last 2-3 years), Schmeicel). Foreign keepers who've never played in England are still by and large recognised as top players (e.g. Buffon, Oliver Kahn).

De Gea is very good at shot stopping especially from distance, but he still can't deal with crosses into his box and doesnt command his area very well. In some ways he's unlucky as, in most outfield positions, players can afford to have an area of weakness as the formation or starting 11 can be re-jigged. For instance Cafu was a sensational wing back, but defending wasnt't his best skill, however Milan (and to a lesser extent Roma with Aldair) were able to play experienced, positionally clever, center backs and strong defensive midfielders to counter act this. Goalkeepers just dont have this option as they are the last line of defense.

I think if he has a similarly big flaw in a vital aspect of his game he probably will. For instance Gomes (of Spurs) was pretty much ridiculed as a goal keeper. I agree that foreign players are subject to more critisim than UK ones, but even a UK keeper who was poor would get a bad press look at Rob Green - in the same way other fans and the press are calling David De Gea "De Flapper", David James was called "Calamity James". If the keepers improve and eliminate the weaknesses then the critisim will ebb away - by 2005 James had been a bit more stable and the critisim went, similarly with Erik Thorsvedt at Tottenham, poor at first but a decent keeper by the early 1990s. Even this season I can remeber Gary Neville saying he'd "never seen Julio Cesar make a proper save" a few weeks ago, but now most journalists and fans recognise him as the in form keeper in the league. Some top class foreign keepers don't really get that much critisim at all (Van Der Saar, Howard, Given (until he got too old and his reflexes went in the last 2-3 years), Schmeicel). Foreign keepers who've never played in England are still by and large recognised as top players (e.g. Buffon, Oliver Kahn).

De Gea is very good at shot stopping especially from distance, but he still can't deal with crosses into his box and doesnt command his area very well. In some ways he's unlucky as, in most outfield positions, players can afford to have an area of weakness as the formation or starting 11 can be re-jigged. For instance Cafu was a sensational wing back, but defending wasnt't his best skill, however Milan (and to a lesser extent Roma with Aldair) were able to play experienced, positionally clever, center backs and strong defensive midfielders to counter act this. Goalkeepers just dont have this option as they are the last line of defense.

It's a good post, but it's also not quite the whole truth. De Gea is now criticised in match reports when he does nothing wrong. His narrative is written regardless of form or even the last 6-8 months of history.

I read a match report the other day that said something like 'and SAF will have been relieved that even David De Gea had a good match.' Which is ludicrous, he's been top drawer for all of but a few tiny moments all season. He's made no more mistakes than Hart (and none as bad as his near-post howler) far less than Cech or Reina - and yet he gets a 10 minute segment from Sky on the Spurs 'howler' - which was hardly the worst mistake you'll ever see. MOTD did a whole feature when he blocked a low, hard shot to his right with a strong hand, which happened to fall to a Newcastle striker. Peter Cech did the same thing over the weekend on a far easier save, not a peep.

Then you get sh*t like his world class, point saving-save on Ruiz's shot against Fulham which isn't even acknowledged as a save in the post match reports/MOTD.

I've haven't seen a witch hunt like this since Suarez or Ronaldo. But at least those two did things to make the British media dislike them. De Gea's done nothing wrong that I can tell, other than being expensive and Spanish.

As usual, very good post indeed Edmundo.

I think De Gea DOES get unfairly treated by media and as someone who's a big fan of him, I'm not happy about it.

But it's not like it's completely baseless or it's never happened to another goalkeeper or another club. The world is against us is unfortunately deeply rooted in most Man Utd AND Liverpool fans' mindset (In fact that can be said about most clubs' fans).

Gomes was a particularly good example. Here's a good goalie with excellent reflexes who made some dumb mistakes. The English media made such a laughing stock out of him that the guy's confidence was shot and a #1 goalie for a CL club like PSV and Brazilian National team (albeit not as 1st choice) ended up settling as #3 for Spurs!

Not even #2 or backup but #3! They made a mockery of him and he's just one example.

Anyway, not that it matters. De Gea is full of potential and will grow in confidence and stature and command as the years go on and become a very good keeper.

Suárez: "We're not the Liverpool of old; it's a transition period"

Luis Alberto Suárez received MARCA at Liverpool's training facilities. 'Lucho' is one of the few who are keeping the Reds alive this season with his 17 goals, in another mediocre year for Brendan Rodgers' team.

QUESTION. How are things at Liverpool? Lots of people see you leaving in the summer.
ANSWER. I'm good, I'm growing. We're not the Liverpool of old. We're coming out of a rough patch, but this is a transition period with a new gaffer and a different philosophy. All we need are the results and to finish in the Champions League spots.

Q. Would you be surprised if you ended up as the top scorer in the Premiership?
A. Yes, of course I would. I like scoring goals, because I'm a forward, but that's not my objective. I'm a different type of forward.

Q. Do you like watching footie on the telly?
A. I watch everything: the Spanish league, German, English… That's why I chose this job.

Q. What's your take on La Liga?
A. Barça is incredible. Last year people were complaining that it was a two-horse race, but you can't say that this year with Atlético.

Q. Do you think Real is the favourite against United? That how people see it Spain, at least.
A. It's going to be a really great and competitive match.

Q. And what about your future? Should we talk again in June?
A. Yes, this June or the next one, in 2014. My contract ends in 2018. My family is very happy here and I'm living a dream: playing for a club that every kid wants to play for. So we're content, for now.

http://www.marca.com/2013/02/05/en/football/international_football/1360093833.html

thats shame , we need a new CB at the end of season , I would prefere Carra one year more inside of Agger/Skrtle

anyway I was sure this is going to happen , but if Carra keep playing like in last 2 matchs untill end of season I think he'll go on 1 more year :D

anyway he and Gerrard are my hero's and 2 big reasons to love LFC

thanks you for everything Jamie Carragher!

@LFC Albania, instead not inside ;)

Sad to see Carra go, a true legend...

I hope Liverpool will produce a player like him one day again...

307328_10151553722712573_884025502_n.jpg

I guess this is reason why Carra want to leave at the end of season , and i don't blame him at all !!!

he dont want to wear this crap !

154668_4498443257667_714488682_n.jpg

16008_4498447457772_1085227031_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom