Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

We really do seem to be cursed with injuries this season, that's now Kirkland, Josemi, Alonso, Gerrard, Kewell, Garcia, Nunez, Baros and Cisse who have all missed a lot of games through bad injuries.

There were signs of promise again today though and I thought that we looked good in the first half before Alonso went off injured. If we can get Morientes and maybe another midfielder (Aimar would be nice) in the transfer window then I think we'll be in solid shape for the rest of the season.

How we lost that game today I will never know, if only we had scored when we were on top. Chelsea are getting a lot of luck at the mo and soon it will turn against them..

Losing another player to injury, how many black cats has our manager run over to give us this much bad luck!!

And another thing..... Tiagos handball!! Why did the ref not blow for that when it was blatantly obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes!!

Was a great game. But i guess goals win games. And yes i admit we should have conceded a penalty. But i guess its part of the game. Which brings me to all this video refereeing and stuff, bringing technology into a human sport. What confused me though was that it looked like Riley was about to blow the whistle but then hesitated and then didnt.

with the linesman on the television camera's side, i really thought the ref's assistant should have spotted it, the position in which mike riley stood made it impossible to spot this type of offence, meaning he was not doing his job fully. gerrard had a good chance, several volleys missed etc. i felt luis garcia had a great match, he was all over the pitch but just couldn't find his shooting boots.

lastly, i think something must be done with lampard's crude challenges, he got the warning yes, but how many injuries will he have to cause in order for officials to come down hard upon an action such as lampard's, it was a fuckin shitty tackle (saying this because 3 points for the kop would have been welcome for a result we pulled)

-fb

maybe i should have been less harsh on lampard, i meant to say that that one type of tackle, two footed into the calf of another player warrants harder punishment. i shouldnt've have said that he's a goon, for i like lampard, just that that tackle on xabi alonso needed a red card, it was totally unnecessary.

-fb

It was early in the game, I dont think a ref would send a player off and ruin a game. And ive seen players get away with a yellow for much worse.
It was unintentional which is the main factor, Lampard has even apologised to Xabi. And thats his 5th yellow this season anyway so he gets a 1 match ban and misses Chelsea's game tomorrow against Boro.

CONCERNING LIVERPOOL
I just watched the Norwhich game. Convincing performance, even though the goals only came in the second half. The sunny conditions mustve troubles most players in the first. Nice goal by Garcia and an absolutely brilliant goal from Norwich! What a first touch! You guys played an odd 4-4-1-1 today that ive never seen before, but hey, it worked.

Sulph said:
CONCERNING LIVERPOOL
I just watched the Norwhich game. Convincing performance, even though the goals only came in the second half. The sunny conditions mustve troubles most players in the first. Nice goal by Garcia and an absolutely brilliant goal from Norwich! What a first touch! You guys played an odd 4-4-1-1 today that ive never seen before, but hey, it worked.

The 4411 Formation has been used by Rafa for some games this season and I have to say that I aint convinced by it. I know we are short of strikers but surely by employing such a system we are limiting our chances in attack as the player who is playing in the hole rarely seems to support the striker.

Once again we looked nervous when they scored late on, time seems to go so slowly when that happens

4-4-1-1 is a favoured postion of Benitez like many foriegn coaches...

i'm hoping that we'll hurry up and sign Morientes or Anelka at least for the next league game, I wonder is Benitez will go for youth against Burnley...

As for Mike Riley, as many has said I hope he doesn't referee another big match again this season...

4-4-1-1 is bad. Although it protects our midfield/defence, the attack is usually largely redundant chasing shadows. Seem to remember Owen playing up alone quite a lot.......

Mike Riley - why couldn't Lampard have tackled him?? He's a danger to the professional game and needs to spend more time in the lower leagues. We have some very good refs - but not him!!

Who would ya lot prefer?Morientes or Anelka?I would personally prefer Anelka as he would be able to play in the CL for us.Morever,the partnership of Anelka and Cisse(both with superb pace) for next season sounds awesome.....on paper at least.

PS:certainly hope we dont end up with Johnson or Yakubu!

I didn't realize 'Pool were linked with either Yakubu or (Andy? I assume...)Johnson... anyway, I agree with you that I'd rather have Anelka, but ONLY because Morientes is unable to play CL. I think Morientes is the better player and Liverpool would finish better in the Prem with him vs. Anelka, but I think Anelka is good enough to make us top 4 and gives us CL cover.

Plus, the idea of Cisse/Baros/Anelka on the same field would be a track meet. Of course, none of them would ever pass to the other... but hey, you can't have it all.

"It was unintentional which is the main factor, Lampard has even apologised to Xabi."

Diouf apologised for spitting but that doesnt make him a saint, does it?..the least you can do is apologise, after all Alonso is out for 3 months because of Lampard..

I like Lampard but that challenge was terrible, surely he knows going in like that is going to seriously hurt someone..

Agree. They've all been in the game long enough to know the right angles to tackle and how not to.

So FA Cup game today, Benitez has drafted in the kids aswell includiing Otsemobor.

The Morientes deal is going to drag on into next week, lets hope we can sign some players before facing Manure.

Also we've been linked with Huckerby aswell for 'versatility'...

Sabac Red said:
So FA Cup game today, Benitez has drafted in the kids aswell includiing Otsemobor.

The Morientes deal is going to drag on into next week, lets hope we can sign some players before facing Manure.

Also we've been linked with Huckerby aswell for 'versatility'...

If tonights game goes ahead, its a touch damp up here and Burnleys pitch isnt great at the best of times.

I cant see us getting Morientes for 4 Mill and it looks like Rafa aint gonna up the bid anytime soon. Next target then please

crayon said:
Looks like Ashton is going to Norwich too.

What a waste, why join a team thats going to get relegated?

Maybe we should ask Scott Parker. Yeah, I know it's a different situation but all players want to play.

Then they need to play good to get good playing time..

Would you play someone who was crap just to give him playing time?..

crayon said:
Maybe we should ask Scott Parker. Yeah, I know it's a different situation but all players want to play.
not only that, but thats the only way you can develop your game once you get to this level, so why sit on the bench ala scot parker, he threw his england
career away to join chelsea, when he could be thriving at charlton, if ashton went to pool, where would he be on the depth chart, 4th/5th choice..... what the hell good is that....

kingpug said:
Then they need to play good to get good playing time..

Would you play someone who was crap just to give him playing time?..
i have no idea what your talking about, i dont quite get what yout trying to say

I wouldn't mind Yakubu to be honest, his scoring record is as good as Anelka's, he's 22 and not a stroppy git ike Anelka. Possibly a bit similar to Baros, Cisse and Pongo. Wouldn't mind any of the three to be honest.

Yakubu? Remember Heskey? Upcoming 22 year old, strong, fast as lightning when we signed him....turned into a pub player.....(perhaps he was that all along)

YAKUBU
Portsmouth: 2002-2003 Played 14 Scored 7 goals (on loan 13/1/2003)
Portsmouth: 2003-2004 Played 37 Scored 16 goals
2004-2005 Played 17 Scored 8 goals

ANELKA:
Manchester City: 2002-2003 Played 38 Scored 14 goals (Premiership)
2003-2004 Played 32 Scored 16 goals (Premiership)
2004-2005 Played 16 Scored 6 goals (Premiership)

Back
Top Bottom