Re: Liverpool Thread

Rooney a top five player ?

Messi
Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Falcao

Those five player are definitely better than Rooney

And then i haven't mentioned some of the best GK's (Casillas, Neuer) and defenders (Piqué, Vidic,Thiago Silva, Kompany).

And what about Ibrahimovic, Schweinsteiger, Ribbery, Robben, Özil, David Silva, Yaya Touré ?
Rooney is a top ten player at best my friend.

But nevertheless, he is one hell of a player and very versatile too...

Messi
Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Falcao

And then i haven't mentioned some of the best GK's (Casillas, Neuer) and defenders (Piqué, Vidic,Thiago Silva, Kompany).

And what about Ibrahimovic, Schweinsteiger, Ribbery, Robben, Özil, David Silva, Yaya Touré ?

maybe we take to another thread... i would love to see the results of rooney playing with iniesta and xavi...

But just think, he could move to play for the best manager in modern football...at Chelsea! Right?

He was the one that brought him to Liverpool. Sterling hasnt been at the club for long so cant see anything other than regular 1st team football being the extra that Liverpool could offer him.

from this defenders only Silva maybe can be at top 10 , I cant see Pique right there really , not even vidic (at last this year as he almost never played) , Kompany ? not that sure too honestly

Messi
Ronaldo
Xavi
Iniesta
Falcao

Maybe at this moment Falcao is better. But it's only fair to judge players over a longer period of time imo. Hell, a few seasons back Mido was the best striker in the prem at this time of year.

Rooney is a victim of his early over-hyping. He is literally more productive than anyone in football except the big 2. I'm not sure what else you want from him. He's scored in CL finals, league deciders etc. He's led the league in combined goals and assists numerous times. I think people underestimate him now, if anything, because of how he plays in an England jersey. A pretty similar criticism could be levelled at Ronaldo, and Messi (except maybe the last 6 months).

Anyway, I know I know, wrong thread.

Maybe at this moment Falcao is better. But it's only fair to judge players over a longer period of time imo

true but when you stack up the career stats, it's quite easy to see falcao is the better striker by far.

Roughly career stats

Rooney - 457 games 205 goals

Falcao - 262 games 176 goals

I think it is good Rodgers is saying that, I doubt many people believe it, but at least he is showing faith in his players and it will motivate them more.

This will backfire spectacularly....

Well, he didn't actually say what the headline said. Obviously some editor thought it would generate more page views when making that headline.

In the interview, Rogers said Liverpool were 12 points out of second place despite how poorly the season started. Not really Rogers throwing down the gauntlet to the team to say "2nd place or bust!"

Well, he didn't actually say what the headline said. Obviously some editor thought it would generate more page views when making that headline.

In the interview, Rogers said Liverpool were 12 points out of second place despite how poorly the season started. Not really Rogers throwing down the gauntlet to the team to say "2nd place or bust!"

Exactly, he was misquoted. I do feel top-7 is acheivable.
Anything else will be a bonus if we get a good striker or two.

1. United
2. City
3. Chelsea
4. Everton
5. Spurs
6. Arsenal

Swansea will be a threat to us for the top-7.....ironic is'nt it ???

West Brom are losing form, Newcastle are gone. Stoke are not going to threaten. The rest will not threaten either.

EDIT:
he was not misquoted, he did say that we should aim for higher than 4th. Which is positive mentality, and which is what you want to see in a manager. Maybe he is confident of some good signings :-)

When asked if he felt fourth spot was up for grabs, Rodgers replied: ‘So is third. So is second and maybe even first. I said to the players this morning that everyone talks about fourth place. ‘But what about third? We are 11 points off second; we have still to play Manchester City and we should have beaten them at home. ‘If we get a run of games and keep our mentality and focus then it is not fourth we want to aim for. You want to aim as high as you possibly can.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nts-team-aim-higher-fourth.html#ixzz2F4rGawRe

Last edited:

I think it is refreshing. He's a good manager and Liverpool are a huge club. They should be aiming high.

And I hope they succeed in getting second place ...as long as we're above them!

There will be lots of fans who will take that very literally. IMO it's a big mistake.
Unless Liverpool buys spectacular, this team (which is approving) just isn't good enough to achieve a 4th place.
I've already written in the Arsenal that i'd love both Arsenal and Liverpool to compete for the top spots, but i just can't see it happen with the current crop of players both clubs have (and IMO Arsenal has more quality than Liverpool). I hope both clubs can attract some very good players in january. But then again january transfers are not always the best...

There will be lots of fans who will take that very literally. IMO it's a big mistake.
Unless Liverpool buys spectacular, this team (which is approving) just isn't good enough to achieve a 4th place.
I've already written in the Arsenal that i'd love both Arsenal and Liverpool to compete for the top spots, but i just can't see it happen with the current crop of players both clubs have (and IMO Arsenal has more quality than Liverpool). I hope both clubs can attract some very good players in january. But then again january transfers are not always the best...

Tbh if you are too thick to be able to understand what he said you have nothing valuable to offer as an opinion. Or if you are too thick to not understand the misleading headlines used by media, again you have nothing valuable to offer. (This isn't a dig at you Gerd, just a response to the too quick reaction seen in here and other places.)

He didn't say anything weird or strange, only that even though the club has been hammered for it's poor / inconsistent start and performances they are still only 4pts from 4th and 11pts from the two teams that are performing consistently who sit in 1st and 2nd. So the concluding element of this interview is that;

"He believes with consistency the team can get higher in the table."

And the reaction is:

"Wow, ridiculous! Is he off his head!? :RANT: :RANT: :RANT:"

The last few games Liverpool have been playing more instinctively which can only be good for the future. Little partnerships are taking place and I'm even warming to Henderson who seems to understand what is required of him at the moment. For me the jury is still out on Downing, I don't think he's got the fight in him. Enrique going up the pitch is a nice move as he has good feet and can pass well.

Things are starting to improve. What is astonishing me though is that Assaidi is having no game time. Also why isn't Suso playing more? Assaidi is skilful, takes on a player, can cross and has that flair that will work with Suarez. Why isn't he playing all the time?

Brendan Rodgers believes his Liverpool side are reaching milestones on the road to success and described himself as 'quietly pleased' with what the Reds have achieved so far this season.

The Northern Irishman guided his team to three victories in eight days last week - a run of results which ensured Liverpool qualified for the knockout stages of the Europa League and reduced the gap to fourth place in the Barclays Premier League to four points.

Rodgers insisted his squad will not rest on their laurels, though, and the boss is confident that his methods will help the Reds continue to progress during the second half of the campaign.

"You're always striving to have more and be better. But as I sit here today, having experienced the last six months, I'm quietly pleased," the manager explained to Liverpoolfc.com.

"That's a big credit to the players - they have been absolutely fantastic. They have kept going through the early stages, which were difficult because we're trying to form something here and that's never easy.

"Our relationships are getting better all the time, our understanding on the field is getting better."

A 1-0 victory over Udinese in Italy last Thursday extended the side's European journey into 2013 and preceded a comeback triumph against West Ham in the league on Sunday - results which the boss feels were landmarks.

He added: "We reached another defining moment at the weekend against West Ham.

"There's a period - a golden period at the end of a game, the last 15 minutes - which the best teams can affect. When we were down we showed the spirit and fight we have in the group, to come back and win the game.

"We showed that away at Udinese - to get through in a game that we had to win. The pressure on that game was that we had to win or get knocked out, and we won the game and kept a clean sheet. We have little benchmarks that we're setting along the way.

"The best teams start quick and finish strong - we did that at the weekend. We started really well and finished the game strongly.

"I'm pleased with how it's evolving - we're a long way off where I want us to be, of course, but we've shown we're making good progress.

"By all accounts, Liverpool have had a disastrous start, but we're four points off the top four and if we had a little bit more luck we actually could be in there now. The great encouragement is - we're only going to get better."

Fixtures come thick and fast throughout Christmas, with the Reds preparing for five league encounters within the next three weeks, and the boss has called for a strong conclusion to the calendar year.

"I hope that we finish this year strongly. 2012 has been an emotional year for the football club - we want to finish it on a high," reflected the 39-year-old.

"We can then go into the next six months and push on, because that's when you take care of business and in particular the last 10 games.

"If we can arrive in January in and around that top four then we can really put our foot to the floor, when the confidence will be improved even more and players will be aligned with what we're trying to achieve. I believe we can have a good second half of the season."

In the short term, focus is solely on the visit of Aston Villa on Saturday, and Rodgers also provided an injury update - with in-form full-back Jose Enrique the only doubt for the weekend.

The boss concluded: "It's looking very good. Jose Enrique came off with a problem in the last game - we just need to assess how he is. He's a little bit tight down the side of his hamstring.

"Apart from that, our condition has been excellent and it's great credit to how the players have prepared themselves.

"We've played a lot of games - our recovery with our medical and sports science team has been first class and left us with a squad of players who have been available for a lot of the time."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-we-re-setting-benchmarks

maybe we take to another thread... i would love to see the results of rooney playing with iniesta and xavi...

I suspect you aim at Messi being played good by those two, but everyone seem to forget that Messi also plays them good. Messi is the instrumental part in the Barcelona attack just as much as Iniesta and Xavi (arguably even more so). None of them are expendable, only one of them needs to have a good day to make Barca win and they are formidable together and individually. Rooney would most likely be able to play some good football in Messi's spot though, but he's still several pages behind Messi individually.

Suarez would most likely fit even better than Rooney, but both of them have major ups and downs when it comes to hitting between the posts and Barcelona likes their attackers to be true snipers. Messi and Pedro are two of the most precise finishers in the world.

Last edited:

exactly, that´s why individual awards sucks..ok let´s make an award for most goals scored or more assists, but that doesn´t make someone the best footballer... as football isn´t individual sport.

battered them for 28 mins, playing some nice tempo football.

then Suarez does a stupid skill in stead of keeping the ball and we then concede..

typical

that is a disgrace, f.....g shit.

wtf are the defence doing? we are psychcally down, shite.

people should get their money back!

For two seasons it's like watching the same game over and over and over again.

Liverpool create enough chances in the first ten minutes continually to put most games to bed. Today was no exception, Villa should have been three down by the ten minute mark, all great chances. Suarez for me, well, I'm going to be shot down for this I'm sure, but....the guy is excellent now and again, don't get me wrong, but Christ he's so wasteful. The other problem around Suarez is that he just does is his own thing, which is fine when players don't get ahead of the ball, but when they do as Gerrard et al do, and he tries something and loses it Liverpool are up shit street.

Every team to a tee, knows how to play Liverpool now. Counter attack us to death. Liverpool play a million passes each move, and get nowhere generally. Then when everyone has bombed forward, or Suarez loses possession (which is what happened for the Villa first goal with his fancy back heel) again we're fked.

I'm sorry I'll say it again....Skrtel and Agger are just so over-rated. It seems ANY pressure whatsoever in any shape or form and we concede. Johnson is fantastic one week, and absolutely pitiful the next.

Not even Lucas' solidifying affect in the centre can stop the quick counters. We're not fast enough and direct enough to play to Suarez' strengths, and we're not skilful/technical/creative enough to have these prolonged periods of shite possession to break down defences.

If Liverpool don't score first, inside the first ten minutes, there's normally trouble on the horizon. I mean how many times are we just cut to shreds on the counter with Agger and Skrtel just sprawling getting dicked against fast teams with two or three waiting to tap in?!? So frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom