Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

This is a weird argument, how can it proved to be that Liverpool destroyed their careers if they had there best form while playing for Liverpool?

It's nothing that can be proved or disproved, but what can be proved is that they played very very well when they were with Liverpool. How can Liverpool be blamed for them not playing at their peak forever?

It's more to do with the players than Liverpool imo.

Well, yea, it's not a mathematical equation which can be proven or disproven 100%, however, is it just a coincidence?

Scholes, Giggs were rested and eased in slowly at Utd and they still play top level football and have played well well into their mid thirties.
Fowler and Owen on the other hand played a hell of a lot of games from being teenagers and look what happened to them. Torres as well clearly had injury problems but never got time to recover.

Houllier even talked about this when Heskey, then a youngster, was being rested despite playing well.

------------------

But manager Gerard Houllier refuses to accept any criticism of his decision to rest Heskey in favour of Owen and Fowler. While Houllier understands the frustration of the fans at defeat to Ipswich, he is adamant that the two strikers he inherited are currently struggling for precisely the reason that he is being so careful with Heskey - namely, they are suffering from burn-out.

Owen is not 21 until Thursday, yet he has crammed a lifetime of experiences into his three eventful seasons playing at the top level. Fowler has played more games and scored more goals at the age of 25 than most strikers do in a whole career.

Houllier though, believes that those experiences are now catching up on them and that Heskey - at the tender age of 22 - must be protected if he is not to suffer the same fate. "The fans are frustrated, but one of the problems with Michael and Robbie is that they played too many games when they first came into the team," Houllier said.

"Since I have been at Liverpool, Michael has played only once every two games, while Robbie has only been able to play one in four.

"I am not prepared to allow the same thing to happen in the future with Emile. If he plays too much he will be burnt out. I don't believe people will want me to do that with him.

"He's indispensable to this team and that's why I bought him, but I will protect him from playing too much football at a young age."

------------

I agree with you in part tho. I think part of it is down to the players. Fowler was a bit of a lad, whereas Scholes and Giggs were ultra pros, but that can't really be said about Owen and Torres

Last edited:

Yeah Owen and Torres were overplayed. Owen especially imo. Fowler im not sure about as his generation seemed to party too much anyway. And its on record that Purslow went behind Benitez' back to pressure the medical team into saying Torres could play so Liverpool could still qualify for the CL. Which they didnt, and screwed up Torres injuring him for the WC.

I have the same worry for Sterling, he's playing a huge amount of football atm and regardless of how well he is doing the physical drain of having to battle defenders in the EPL cant be helping him either.

But its a problem that has always been at Liverpool, they just cant get enough quality in to be able to give those players a rest. Or rush them back after injury.

Overplayed my ring. I'm sorry but its bullshit. Life of luxury. Job many people would die for and people say they are tired after playing 180 mins football a week. Not for me. Not having any of it. If injured fair enough. If not then no chance.

If any team had strikers as prolific at the time as Owen, Fowler and Torres then they would all play them exactly the same, pretty sure of that. If your striker is banging in the goals and playing well, you don't leave them out.

If anything Torres went injured to the 2010 world cup and played games there, and made things worse. He did not rest that summer, and that was the beginning of his downfall. If you remember he also played Euro 2008, and I remember Rafa saying that Torres has not got a rest for a long time. All these things have contributed to his downfall.

I think Suarez can also end up like that, he has played non-stop since 2009-10 if I'm correct. World cup 2010, then Copa America 2011, and Olympics 2012....it's crazy. But then again he got a nice rest with the bans at Ajax and Liverpool...LOL !!

Playing for Liverpool will mean that players like Torres, Suarez will be overplayed. Even Sterling is being overplayed because we are not as rich as the likes of Chelsea/City/United to be putting top players on the bench. So liverpool will need to play their top players almost every game. I agree that English football has too many tournaments. They should scrap the League cup. I also think the Europa league is way too big, they should reduce the size of that tournament. Even there are too many international friendlies.
...Or as Pu6hy mentioned reduce the training, but that ain't going to happen either....

Last edited:

we only look good on start where we can easy lead by two , than WTF we were thinking ? to protect 1-0 for 75 minutes ?

very poor mentality of team !

well played today Liverpool

sterling pass for joe cole goal sublime

Hope that Cole wont get too much stick anymore??

Good win in the end, we showed once again that we can win even without Suarez.
Shelvey was great in the 2nd half and I guess everyone agrees that he should have been given the penalty at the end, it was a clear contact.

Diame on the other side was very impressive. I have no idea why Rodgers didn't sign him on free last summer.

Anyway, now we have closed the gap and we're only 4points short of the 4th place. A couple of good signings in January could prove to be enough to get a CL spot next season.

Good win in the end, we showed once again that we can win even without Suarez.
Shelvey was great in the 2nd half and I guess everyone agrees that he should have been given the penalty at the end, it was a clear contact.

Diame on the other side was very impressive. I have no idea why Rodgers didn't sign him on free last summer.

Anyway, now we have closed the gap and we're only 4points short of the 4th place. A couple of good signings in January could prove to be enough to get a CL spot next season.

you wont finish anywhere near 4th in May but today was a good result.

Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and even Swansea better teams than Liverpool this season.

you wont finish anywhere near 4th in May but today was a good result.

Arsenal, Spurs, Everton and even Swansea better teams than Liverpool this season.

If they can beat West Ham and score 3 goals at Upton Park without any stikers in their line-up I believe they can finish in top 4 especially if they get a decent striker in January...

our next match's seems more easy (expect next one vs west ham where we play without Suarez , also Stoke one will be pretty hard) hope we get 14-18 points from this 6 matchs this month

Sat - 1 Southampton H 1 0 W W-DONE
Sun - 9 West Ham A 16:00 W/D W-DONE
Sat - 15 Aston Villa H 15:00 W
Sat - 22 Fulham H 17:30 W

Wed - 26 Stoke City A 19:45 W/D
Sun - 30 QPR A W

now 2 next matchs we have at home and we SHOULD win them both

I would stay behind my stats :D , if we goes like this and make 5 Win in row than we can easy be on CL spot (of course we still need a quality striker in january) but being on top 4 for new year can be really good :)

now 2 next matchs we have at home and we SHOULD win them both

Maybe aston villa but i wouldn't say use should win against fulham, yeah fulham have trouble traveling but there overdue an away win and they have a pretty decent squad

If they can beat West Ham and score 3 goals at Upton Park without any stikers in their line-up I believe they can finish in top 4 especially if they get a decent striker in January...

you judge liverpool top 4 credential on one game against West Ham?

what about the games they lost and drawn they should have won with full strength teams?

your logic is strange.

Who at evo Web would seriously bet real money on Liverpool finishing in 4th spot? The squad is just way too thin and January wont change much.

#realism

Don't see this Liverpool anywhere near to 4th place this season unless spectacular things happen in january.

Though i dont think liverpool will finish in the top 4, at the same time I dont think it will take a whole lot to finish in the top 4 either this season. None of the usual suspects are particulary consistent, and a decent mini run of 5-10 games could push any of the top half teams up there. Look at Everton, they have drawn 7 of their last 10 games and are still 4th! Besides utd and city noone is consistently winning which is why Liverpool are only 4 points behind 4th. 3 wins on the trot could already push them up there.

that is hilarious. reid definitely got the ball.

and sterling is awful, why is he being hyped? if players like him can get england caps then we can already forget about world cup..

that is hilarious. reid definitely got the ball.

and sterling is awful, why is he being hyped? if players like him can get england caps then we can already forget about world cup..

Why you English guys still hope for world cup ? Shame sterilng is on team from 50 years so England can't win world cup !

Why you English guys still hope for world cup ? Shame sterilng is on team from 50 years so England can't win world cup !

Unfortunately it looks like Sir Bobby agrees with the negative outlook :

"As our chat closes, Sir Bobby offers some general thoughts on English football. He worries about our reputation in the wake of recent events. He also offers little hope about our chances at the next World Cup.
'You can't sit here and say that it looks like we have a great chance, can you?' he adds."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-Manchester-Uniteds-hands.html#ixzz2EaSZgHiZ

Last edited:

The philosophy of English football needs to change, then we'll need 10-15 years before we start producing the players to reap the benefits of those changes.

We played great in the first 15 minutes, and then were overrun by West Ham in the latter part of the 1st half.
In the 2nd half, I think they tired a bit, and we were more effective.

Really liked Johnson's goal, he looked very threatening in that first half, and in general he is a good attacking wing-back type of player. I think at one time Rodgers was even comparing him to Daniel Alves, and he's close.

The Cole goal was great passing by Sterling. I think Sterling was crap in the first half, but 2nd half he was better. Joe Cole seems to be growing in confidence and it will be nice to see him getting more games and goals.

Shelvey was a nuisance, and he did at times hold the ball up well as a target man. His height and strength helped him well. Great run and cross by Henderson too that meant he has been involved in two winning goals in the last 4 days

Overall it was a decent performance, and we probably deserved the win.

Can we finish 4th on this evidence, well we need to improve a bit more. Looks like this season the top-3 are fixed. And the 4th spot can be taken by any of these teams (Everton, Spurs, Arsenal).
We need to step up a bit more to get near them.

good battlin performance by the pool today. not sure if 4th spot will happen as i think other teams above liverpool have better squads like.

Sterling is a great player!! Silly comments

SuperSonic said:
good battlin performance by the pool today. not sure if 4th spot will happen as i think other teams above liverpool have better squads like.

agree with you havent seen a confident battling liverpool for a while it will do them world of good.

(so a draw against Aston Villa next game then?? LOL!)

joking PIPA dont worry :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom