Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

A9nwley_CIAEWpus.jpg

joking PIPA dont worry :D

:BYE:

Not sure about that bale has a hammer from the gods on his left foot and can cross, Walcott isn't so great... And was touted like sterling

Sure, but let's at least let Sterling finish his 1st season before we start saying he's not going to evolve into a better player. You've gotta have one trick before you can have two.

:LOL: @ the wind up merchant in this thread. Why do you guys bother with him?

Sterling has just turned 18 and has plenty about him to say he could be brilliant.

There's at least 12 years to find out what he'll be like and he's being judged already...

He is being judged because he is being overhyped.
I've just been writing a similar post in the Arsenal thread, you English people do it all the time: Walcott, Bale, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain. They are all very promising young players but the fans and the media make it sound if they are all the next Messi, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic.

When afterwards these players turn out to be very good players, but not world stars, people are disappointed and think those player are underachieving (best example: Walcott, very good player, but not the new George Best).

Oh and another thing, why are you Liverpool fans so easily offended ? Gomito isn't a WUM. He is just writing about his opinion. If you people perceive it as too negative, you call us WUM's. Why ? Do you really thin kwe watch English football hoping that Liverpool will loose ? Personally i would be over the moon if Liverpool would compete for the title. I want as much team to compete for the title, not like it is now where only both Manchester clubs can win it.

he have capacity , if he work enough he'll be a world class I guess , if he think he already is and stop working (what I think did walcot) than we'll be just a good player I guess , but im happy with what he have untill now hope he goes on and make it everytime better !

He is being judged because he is being overhyped.
I've just been writing a similar post in the Arsenal thread, you English people do it all the time: Walcott, Bale, Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain. They are all very promising young players but the fans and the media make it sound if they are all the next Messi, Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic.

When afterwards these players turn out to be very good players, but not world stars, people are disappointed and think those player are underachieving (best example: Walcott, very good player, but not the new George Best).

Oh and another thing, why are you Liverpool fans so easily offended ? Gomito isn't a WUM. He is just writing about his opinion. If you people perceive it as too negative, you call us WUM's. Why ? Do you really thin kwe watch English football hoping that Liverpool will loose ? Personally i would be over the moon if Liverpool would compete for the title. I want as much team to compete for the title, not like it is now where only both Manchester clubs can win it.

Brilliant post yet again Gerd. Evo-webs most knowledgable and fair poster from what I gather.

I agree gerd, I don't see what the hype is about Sterling. Yes he's a promising player who is only 18. At the moment he is being overplayed by Liverpool. Yes imagine an 18 year old who is starting every single league game and coming off the bench in europe as well.

Hope he improves even more, but he has a long way to go.

Guardian is reporting we're after Sturridge and Ince and probably even Alexis Sanchez. Pacy, winger, score some goals, check.

Alexis Sanchez to Liverpool?!?!

:LMAO::LMAO:

tom Ince sounds about right but SANCHEZ??!!! Not a hope in hell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chile international has been on the fringes of Tito Vilanova’s side this season but his representative Fernando Felicevich sees no reason why the 23-year-old would want to depart.

“Alexis will stay in Barcelona,” he told todomercadoweb.es.

“He has no reason to leave as he is in the best team in the world. Barcelona will not sell Alexis in any case. He has returned after injury and played well.”

Felicevich also stated that every player at the Catalan giants can learn something from Argentina captain Lionel Messi.

The forward scored his 85th and 86th goals of the calendar year in the 2-1 win over Betis on Sunday to break Gerd Muller’s record, and the agent thinks all players can improve by studying Messi.

He added: “Barca have Messi and he is a player that everyone can learn from.”

The Blaugrana are currently top of La Liga after taking 43 points from 15 games.

Last edited:

Yeah, but to be fair... It is a good trick.

Theo Walcott and Garth Bale have made pretty decent early careers out of the same trick.
Walcott is a pretty accomplished finisher in comparison and Bale has a fantastic cross on him.

Walcott is a pretty accomplished finisher in comparison and Bale has a fantastic cross on him.

Sterling is class, no matter what.. he is a small kid who already steals the show for older players with far more experience and costs for the club..

long might it continue for him in LFC.

I know getting Sanchez is highly improbable. I would prefer if we got Walcott instead of Sturridge.
On other news Borini is close to returning from injury.

I know getting Sanchez is highly improbable. I would prefer if we got Walcott instead of Sturridge.
On other news Borini is close to returning from injury.

Please take Walcott..all this talk about SAF going after him is making me nauseous. As far as overhyping goes; I'm more inclined to say Bale is the type of player who could slip through the cracks if he doesn't end up at the right team, especially if that team is in Italy or Spain. Still, I hope he'll do well.

W regards to Sterling however I find it is perfectly normal to hype the very young in almost any sport (we'll forget about gymnastics). Rooney & Owen had to face similar pressure and somehow found a way to mostly live up to the expectations. The (un?)fortunate fact for Sterling is that he is coming up the ranks in a time of 24/7 media coverage. Seems like this is pressure similar to what you often see here in the US, and the same in Germany, Spain and Italy (albeit perhaps to a slightly lesser extent). Whether that pressure is good or not I'll leave that up for debate. One could argue that the small markets of the Netherlands, Belgium, etc. create "safer" and more sheltered breeding grounds for the young and talented.

W regards to Sterling however I find it is perfectly normal to hype the very young in almost any sport (we'll forget about gymnastics). Rooney & Owen had to face similar pressure and somehow found a way to mostly live up to the expectations. The (un?)fortunate fact for Sterling is that he is coming up the ranks in a time of 24/7 media coverage. Seems like this is pressure similar to what you often see here in the US, and the same in Germany, Spain and Italy (albeit perhaps to a slightly lesser extent). Whether that pressure is good or not I'll leave that up for debate. One could argue that the small markets of the Netherlands, Belgium, etc. create "safer" and more sheltered breeding grounds for the young and talented.

Don't agree.
You mention Rooney and Owen two players who succeeded.
But did they really live up to the hype that was created around them when they emerged. Personally i don't think so.
Rooney was supposed to become the best football player in the world: he never was.
Owen was supposed to become the best forward in the world: he never was.
Do i think they didn't succede? Of course not. Both became world class players (although one might argue that it all went downhill for Owen after he left Liverpool), but they never fullfilled the unreasonably high expectations.

You just gave a perfect example of what i'm saying. Even those two didn't live up to the hype. I remember very well that Rooney was seen as some new Pele or Maradonna.

I don't agree with your argument about small markets and more protected surroundings for younger players. In saying this you presume that all these players stay in the small market. Here in Belgian, two years ago we had an hyper-talented under 16 national squad. Only one of those players is still in Belgium. The rest of them is already playing for clubs like Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Sporting Club de Lisboa, PSV Eindhoven,...
At the moment there is a real hype around young Belgian football players.

I'm a youth coach myself. I have been coaching my son's team (curently under 11 team). They started playing football at the age of 4,5 years and turned out to be a very, very good team. Until this season (where they play boys that are two years older) they only lost one match, and were seen as the best youth team of the country in their age category. After a while, every single match there were scouts watching them. It started at the age of 6 years and since then it never stopped. My son is promising and weekly we got telephones from people who claim to speak for this or that big club or who propose themselves as manager. We got sick of it and took a private telephone number. Fortunately my son is still very immature for his age and he is barely aware of it all. he is now nine and he loves to play football with his friends, but he doesn't care about his future. Nine year olds should't care about a future prof carreer, but i can assure you that with all the attention they get, it is very hard to play football for your pleasure and without the anticipation. What i have lived myself as coach and parent is about very young childeren. Imagine what it must be for 16 year old kids, or for a player like Sterling ? It must be awfull.

Last edited:

Don't agree.
But did they really live up to the hype that was created around them when they emerged. Personally i don't think so.
Rooney was supposed to become the best football player in the world: he never was.
Do i think they didn't succede? Of course not. Both became world class players (although one might argue that it all went downhill for Owen after he left Liverpool), but they never fullfilled the unreasonably high expectations.

You just gave a perfect example of what i'm saying. Even those two didn't live up to the hype. I remember very well that Rooney was seen as some new Pele or Maradonna.

I don't agree with your argument about small markets and more protected surroundings for younger players. In saying this you presume that all these players stay in the small market. Here in Belgian, two years ago we had an hyper-talented under 16 national squad. Only one of those players is still in Belgium. The rest of them is already playing for clubs like Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Sporting Club de Lisboa, PSV Eindhoven,...

I'm a youth coach myself. I have been coaching my son's team (curently under 11 team). They started playing football at the age of 4,5 years and turned out to be a very, very good team. Until this season (where they play boys that are two years older) they only lost one match, and were seen as the best youth team of the country in their age category. After a while, every single match there were scouts watching them. It started at the age of 6 years and since then it never stopped. My son is promising and weekly we got telephones from people who claim to speak for this or that big club or who propose themselves as manager. We got sick of it and took a private telephone number. Fortunately my son is still very immature for his age and he is barely aware of it all. he is now nine and he loves to play football with his friends, but he doesn't care about his future. Nine year olds should't care about a future prof carreer, but i can assure you that with all the attention they get, it is very hard to play football for your pleasure and without the anticipation. What i have lived myself as coach and parent is about very young childeren. Imagine what it must be for 16 year old kids, or for a player like Sterling ? It must be awfull.

I appreciate your response but I think you slightly misinterpreted part of my post. First off, your point regarding Rooney and Owen is well taken. Were they over-hyped, sure, one could argue that but then again, in some cases we won't even know that with professional athletes until deep into their careers. Look at some of the world's best goalies, or for instance players peaking later, once they are surrounded by the right individuals (LeBron I'm looking at you). What journalist, reporter, coach or recruiter doesn't want to be able to say that they discovered the next big thing?
This kind of leads me into my second point regarding the large vs small media market; I did not mean to imply that any of those talents end up sticking around until they've arguably matured enough (then again, what does that mean anyway?), the type of development especially Dutch teams like Ajax and PSV are famous for. A lot of whether being sheltered actually happens is for 2 reasons; the player/athlete is being guarded by a coach or parent, similar to what Liverpool seem to be trying to do with Sterling (I applaud you for what you're doing w regards to your son), but perhaps more importantly, the market once again. Correct me if I'm wrong but the media in country like the Netherlands and Belgium isn't near as aggressive or sensation/hype oriented as in some of the other countries I mentioned. Hell, case in point; most folks in the US would have a hard time knowing what other countries in Europe in the royal family besides England, even with their "attempts" to twart the media, the press in England is relentless. Trying to protect a young athlete from that attention is neigh impossible.

Anyway..I'm sure there was a point to all this but I'm tired of typing atm..need a drink :BOUNCE:

Good reply.
I agree with you that "our" press is less agressive than the English press.
But IMO the pressure does not only comes from the press. I even think the more mature young players don't care much about what's in the press...

I don't know why people hype up these young players. Sure there is potential to be considered, but if you look at how many of these young players actually became world-class, are few. Only examples I can think of are Messi and CR7. Was the original Ronaldo (brazil) and maybe Ronaldinho also considered hyped up. One thing is for sure, the English press is the worst when it comes to hyping up young players, and that is not just down to young players, but in general they hype up the national team whenever they enter the World-cup/Euros. They hype up, and bring down equally fast. They even hype up managers (anyone remember John Gregory, Alan Curbishley, Steve McClaren, etc) who have a decent season here and there.

Don't agree.

yeah making $$$$ and playing footie for a living must suck :) Gerd i think your nuts man, At 16 all i wanted to do was play football. Yes the pressure is probably immense, but so is the pressure to go to college or get a job. Its life. I guess my opinion on sterling is certainly short sighted, only time will tell with that guy. The people on this thread probably dont think i like pool but i enjoy watching them as a casual fan. Mostly because of the reality tv show, being liverpool. You really got to see the human side of these guys. Rogers seems like a good guy, as well as stevie g, and pepe... liked him a lot. I truly think pool should have gotten berbatov this summer or the duce.

yeah because Ferguson would really sell to Liverpool wouldnt he?

From judging a small portion of your posts its apparent you dont know much about football do you??

(or you probably call it 'soccer' dont you 'dude' ?)

Good news for Liverpool..had my doubts about Rodgers but he appears to be turning things in the right direction...though his biggest test yet imho will be holding onto Sterling and seeing what he brings or doesn't bring in during the transfer window. Part of me would like to see Huntelaar reunited w Suarez but both have grown tremendously as individuals so not sure how much they'd benefit each other now.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure Sterling is holding out for a much bigger offer at this point. He'll basically be a free agent in the winter transfer window and clubs will be throwing bags of money at him.

Can't blame him, doesn't he already have 3 children? Kids are expensive.

Good news for Liverpool..had my doubts about Rodgers but he appears to be turning things in the right direction...though his biggest test yet imho will be holding onto Sterling and seeing what he brings or doesn't bring in during the transfer window. Part of me would like to see Huntelaar reunited w Suarez but both have grown tremendously as individuals so not sure how much they'd benefit each other now.

I never knew they played together! Hadn't heard of Suarez when the Hunter left.

On over-hyping, I think it depends what you mean. Rooney and Owen had hype, but both have achieved a ton, footballing wise.

Owen was a scoring machine, won the Ballon D'Or and went on to Real Madrid.
Behind Messi and Ronaldo - who are genuine phenoms - Rooney is the most productive player in Europe in the last 5 seasons. He's won every tournament out there except (oddly) the FA Cup.

Of recent 'overhyping' I've seen lots on Joe Hart but he genuinely was one of the top keepers in Europe last season. Not sure if people outside of LFC fandom are really over-hyping Sterling to be honest. I don't get the impression there are hoards of people in Madrid or Paris saying ooooo that little winger at Anfield, let's get him!

I'm pretty sure Sterling is holding out for a much bigger offer at this point. He'll basically be a free agent in the winter transfer window and clubs will be throwing bags of money at him.

Can't blame him, doesn't he already have 3 children? Kids are expensive.

:LOL: Think the 3 kids thing was a bit of a twitter wind-up.

I think he'll leave sooner or later, but i honestly don't think he's waiting for a big amount of cash (not that money isn't a reason of course), i think he's waiting for an offer from Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham, his mum is in London and is a massive part of his life, she's apparently putting pressure on him to go back daan saaf.

At the minute there's a lot of hype around the lad, because he was excellent in the youth team and reserves and got his debut at 17 in the first team, that's pretty natural. He has the makings of a world class forward, but he's still pretty raw and his decision making at times is bewildering. But that will come with experience and coaching. His pass for Cole's goal against West Ham for example was excellent, he is capable of brilliance.

the major thing in Sterling future is his relationship to Rodgers right now, the coach who can make him better player and who playes him for sure in his future LFC team as a starter... if he moves away, he could risk this relationship despite maybe earning more.. i´m sure he will think twice about moving away at this point in his career.. if not, we have no power in keeping him, similar to RVP situation last summer..

it´s all about the trust between the player and manager and the trust in the team..

I never knew they played together! Hadn't heard of Suarez when the Hunter left.

On over-hyping, I think it depends what you mean. Rooney and Owen had hype, but both have achieved a ton, footballing wise.

Owen was a scoring machine, won the Ballon D'Or and went on to Real Madrid.
Behind Messi and Ronaldo - who are genuine phenoms - Rooney is the most productive player in Europe in the last 5 seasons. He's won every tournament out there except (oddly) the FA Cup.

Of recent 'overhyping' I've seen lots on Joe Hart but he genuinely was one of the top keepers in Europe last season. Not sure if people outside of LFC fandom are really over-hyping Sterling to be honest. I don't get the impression there are hoards of people in Madrid or Paris saying ooooo that little winger at Anfield, let's get him!
i agree rooney certainly is a top five player in the world in my eyes. I will hold my judgement on sterling. I probably jumpend the gun on him. I do hope to see more of the left winger they got from the dutch league(assati?)

Back
Top Bottom