Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

fucking frustrating result , and playing sterling for 90 this match was just so stupid , he cant stay n his legs after 1st half change the motherfucker

I do think liverpool are playing sterling a bit too much, i think he should be rested for the next two matches

it was like a game of chess as both teams have similar or trying to have similar football, enrique was impressive first half as johnson, wasn't the best game you'll see this year but thats 8 matches unbeaten, team needs to just put there heads down and get on with it

Downing doesn't feel comfortable in the full back position, I hope Rodgers doesn't play him anymore in that position cos' he's not the type of full back we can rely on.

Henderson on the other hand had a very good game again, he'll keep improving.
Enrique was the motm in my book, he has finally learned how to play football in real life, thank you PES :P

Decent match but still lacking that threat up front. One occasion has three or four players bunched within 5 yards of each other and Suarez right next to Sterling. Meanwhile nobody in, or getting into, the box.

There are some stupid decision making, some lack of effort from some players, but I'm still hopeful we'll turn these draws into wins assuming we do get a player or two who can take the weight off Suarez and chip in with some goals.

fucking frustrating result , and playing sterling for 90 this match was just so stupid , he cant stay n his legs after 1st half change the motherfucker

no need for such harsh words at all, that guy is 17. some of boys in his age only dream of some minutes on pitch with first team in some Carling cup matches..he needs rest and someone who will back his position... or he will burn out in 24 - 25 like Owen did...or get injury or something..

didn´t watch the match today but expected a draw...

no need for such harsh words at all, that guy is 17. some of boys in his age only dream of some minutes on pitch with first team in some Carling cup matches..he needs rest and someone who will back his position... or he will burn out in 24 - 25 like Owen did...or get injury or something..

didn´t watch the match today but expected a draw...

nah I dont have anything against Sterling , I like him as a player and hes good , he was just tired today and he need some rest , so i blame RB for let him on field for 90 coz this can cost us a lot !

was a decent game in that both teams had some good moments. I thought Pablo Hernandez was the best player on the pitch. Gerrard needs to be dropped but Rodgers cant do that since he is the team captain unfortunately.

John Sinnott ‏@JohnSinnott
MT @MancAgent: Hearing Darren Bent to #LFC in Jan gathering pace Terms of deal to be decided poss loan with view to perm in summer #avfc

Rodgers' quotes from today's papers:

"If we can get in the quality in the final third we need to support what we have, then there will be enough to keep the team moving forward.

"But I am not so sure that will happen in January. This year the club wanted to balance the books and see where we are at.

"There has been big investment in the club and lots of players went out and a few came in during the summer, so we will look to do some business.

"But it is a thing which is evolving more slowly. The team is coming together and I can see improvement all the time."

Doesn't sound promising at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think having Suarez as the focal point is the way to go, I wouldn't buy another striker to play ahead of him, just add players in reserve.

I think having Suarez as the focal point is the way to go, I wouldn't buy another striker to play ahead of him, just add players in reserve.

Personally I'd rather have Suarez playing behind, or to the side of the a striker. A proper poacher who will play off the shoulder of the defenders, with Suarez floating into space and drawing players away from the striker.

Personally I'd rather have Suarez playing behind, or to the side of the a striker. A proper poacher who will play off the shoulder of the defenders, with Suarez floating into space and drawing players away from the striker.

Exactly, I don't think Suarez should be the focal point. If a team neutralizes Suarez, then we have almost zero goalscoring threat.

So we need Suarez just behind the striker in the hole, where he can roam freely in between the lines. And he should be able to interchange with anyone of the front three.

-----------Striker-------------
--Enrique------------Sterling-
-----------Suarez-------------
----Allen----------Gerrard----
-----------Lucas-------------
-Johnson--Agger--Skrtel--Wisdom

Exactly, I don't think Suarez should be the focal point. If a team neutralizes Suarez, then we have almost zero goalscoring threat.

So we need Suarez just behind the striker in the hole, where he can roam freely in between the lines. And he should be able to interchange with anyone of the front three.

-----------Striker-------------
--Enrique------------Sterling-
-----------Suarez-------------
----Allen----------Gerrard----
-----------Lucas-------------
-Johnson--Agger--Skrtel--Wisdom

Can't see much success with 11 outfield players and no goalkeeper...:P

Can't see much success with 11 outfield players and no goalkeeper...:P

I'm deadly serious about this: i'm not so sure.

It was never tried.

There are two ways to approach football:

1 trying to concede at least one goal less than the opponent.
2 trying to score at least one goal more than the opponent.

In the second case i'm not sure you need a GK. Ajax was flirting with this system when they had Stanley Menzo in goal. They went for him because they saw him as some sort of libero, because he had good feet. In the end they dropped Menzo and went fora younger GK: Edwin Van Der Sar. Van Der Sar turned out to be the best Dutch GK ever.

In 1974 the national team tried something similar: at the time Holland had 3 world class GK's (Van Beveren, Schrijvers and another one whose name i have forgotten). In the end they went for the fourth GK Jan Jongbloed, because he also was very good with his feet and played a litle bit like a libero.

In the future i see teams playing without a real GK...

Of course this is completely off-topic. Sorry.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has told talkSPORT he will be given money to spend in January and plans to make ‘one or two’ loan signings.

With a relatively small squad at Rodgers’ disposal, the Reds boss has been tipped to bring in a host of new signings when the transfer window re-opens.

Darren Bent has been among those linked with a loan move to Anfield and, though Rodgers refused to confirm interest in the out-of-favour Aston Villa striker, the Northern Irishman admitted he does plan to bring in temporary reinforcements and revealed he will also have funds to make permanent signings.

He told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast Show: “The squad has been ultra-thin right the way through. There will be some money available.

“There have been a million names linked to the club and the brutal honesty of it is that ninety nine per cent of those we haven’t been thinking about.

“But there will be a bit of money to spend and hopefully we can get one or two loans in, if that’s possible, to reinforce the group.”

Rodgers endured a difficult start to his Anfield reign but his side have found form in recent weeks, with Sunday’s draw away to his former club Swansea making it eight games unbeaten in the Premier League.

“I think we are on the up and improving all the time," said Rodgers.

“It was obviously very difficult at the beginning with tough games and trying to implement new ideas. It’s difficult when you are playing against some of the big sides and established sides.

“I think we have been continually improving and getting better and the application of the players has been outstanding. They have been superb in terms of wanting to learn, wanting to improve and wanting to work.

"We are just becoming better and better all the time.”

See, I think having Suarez as high up the pitch as possible lets him receive the ball in more dangerous positions and use his great dribbling to create havoc, he can do that deeper but (not comparing players!) similar to Messi its more devastating when its directly at goal, its something SAF had INSISTED on with Rooney and I think for the most part its definitely made him posses more predatory instincts than he did before also.

I don't see how Bent upfront is a better option, Suarez has proven this season he can play the role with being top scorer, I'd add a option for the bench.

Last edited:

I'm deadly serious about this: i'm not so sure.

It was never tried.

There are two ways to approach football:

1 trying to concede at least one goal less than the opponent.
2 trying to score at least one goal more than the opponent.

In the second case i'm not sure you need a GK. Ajax was flirting with this system when they had Stanley Menzo in goal. They went for him because they saw him as some sort of libero, because he had good feet. In the end they dropped Menzo and went fora younger GK: Edwin Van Der Sar. Van Der Sar turned out to be the best Dutch GK ever.

In 1974 the national team tried something similar: at the time Holland had 3 world class GK's (Van Beveren, Schrijvers and another one whose name i have forgotten). In the end they went for the fourth GK Jan Jongbloed, because he also was very good with his feet and played a litle bit like a libero.

In the future i see teams playing without a real GK...

Of course this is completely off-topic. Sorry.

If both teams adopted a goalkeeperless (is that a word?) formation, games would be great! Football should be as entertaining as possible and this would certainly achieve exiting matches and scorelines!

I stopped playing 11 a side a few years back but I still play competitive indoor 5 or 6 a side and we often don't use goalkeepers. We use 'rush back' where the nearest outfield player can go in the area only to clear the ball but NOT use his hands. Makes for high tempo, cracking games!

Again as you say Gerd, sorry to all in this thread for this off topic discussion.

Getting a striker on loan may not be a bad idea since the club are still reeling from the transfer fiascos of the past. It gives the low-risk opportunity to try out a player like Darren Bent or some other players who are not first-choice at their clubs. Someone like Adebayor maybe ?

I'd be pleased with Adebayor. But then I was pleased with Downing and Cole so what do I know? :LOL:

Bent makes some sense because he's available and would probably be up for the move, but he's not an ideal striker for LFC. He doesn't hold the ball up well, doesn't create much and is best at just finishing - normally in a 451.

Not sure who I'd want to sacrifice in the LFC XI for him. Shunting Suarez wide could do more damage than good, and Rodgers pretty much has to have 3 in midfield to play how he wants.

Bent may not be ideal, but he has one good thing which very few have at Anfield, and that is he puts the ball in the net consistently. He is a great finisher in the box, and that is exactly what we need. Suarez played wide at Ajax and scored 40+ goals in a season if I remember.

Just on another note, does anyone have doubts about Rodgers.
I know he's had some good moments with the way he has dropped the likes of Downing/Hendo and got rid of Adam/Carroll and his good/forced decisions to play youngsters like Wisdom, Sterling, Suso.
He has been very brave and supportive of the fans, etc.

My only doubts about him is
a) he is trying to force the Barca style upon us, which may not be the best thing given some of our players.
b) he has great potential, but not much top-level experience, and that shows in the way our team does not know how to close games out.
c) We get a lot of draws due to our system of play, since we pass the ball a lot, but we don't have much penetration at times. We are not effective enough.
d) He has'nt figured out how to play Gerrard effectively. Will he ever fit in this system ? Again that goes to point a and c.
e) Joe Allen plays irrespective of his form. He was great initially, and he is being over-played in my opinion. With Lucas coming back it will be interesting to see where Allen goes.
f) Transfer record is so-so: Sahin, Assaidi, Borini have barely contributed but may come good later on, but looks unlikely.

Of course I know it's early days, and Rodgers could turn out good, but I'm not getting caught up in the hype of him being the next Shankly or something. He has talked a lot, but let's see how he actually manages this team.
He should be given time, and given our financial constraints, I'm sure no other top manager would have come to us either. So in a way it made sense for FSG to start from scratch with a younger progressive manager.

Let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

You say he should be given time but are starting to doubt him after four months? He's not a magician. He has a style of play that he wants the club to play for years and is putting that into place now. He's said all along that it won't be quick as the players need to learn and some players just won't fit the system so he'll need to bring in his own players.

People expect miracles immediately in football these days. Man City didn't win the league immediately, Tottenham took numerous transfer windows to get where they are with their squad and playing nice football.

He's a young manager with good ideas on how we should be playing. He should be given time, not doubted after four months, before he's even got his players in.

This "I want it now" generation of football fans is crazy. No patience, even when its obvious the manager has the ideas and mentality to suit the club. We've introduced new systems into the team whilst still having to play some of the best teams in the league, did people expect the players to adapt immediately and be top of the league having beaten the top teams?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fans should realise that without a huge influx of money the only way to try to compete now is with the Arsenal model and Liverpool are at the very beginning of it. I've seen enough positive things to want to find out what will happen in a few years time.

The biggest issue so far has been scoring and somewhat less creating chances. For a new manager with a new system Liverpool have been pretty dominant in most games imo and could have had quite a few extra points.

Rodgers and Liverpool are doing quite well, fans shoul have patience.
Completely agree with both previous posts.

Anybody moaning after a few months are fucking idiots IMO. Every single year. Every few months. Not just Liverpool but other clubs. Couple of bad results and sacked. It's pathetic. The fans are inbred assholes if they just moan moan moan. He's had 1 bloody transfer window. Give the guy and the players a bloody chance otherwise it will be a constant vicious circle.

Get a prolific goalscorer and the team will fly up the league. Be mindful that there just so happens to be other good clubs around nowadays too but I'm pretty happy with the way he's starting to get the team to play.

Tough gam tonight though.

Rodgers and Liverpool are doing quite well, fans shoul have patience.
Completely agree with both previous posts.

I disagree, Liverpool sit in 12th place a million miles away from where they should be.

if rodgers and liverpool are doing well, West Brom and West Ham managers should be winning Manager of the Decade awards!!

Tippy tappy taka tip toe football is ok if you have the players. Liverpool dont and Rodgers doesnt have any other way of playing.. football is about goals and Liverpool dont score them.

its not just about having a striker - because Liverpool only play with 1 striker in the system anyway so it wont make too much difference in they bring in another

the build up play is slow and laboured and there isnt enough energy in midfield.

henderson is awful player, gerrard past his best, Sahin finding English football difficult and Allen a very overrated but very tidy player.

Liverpool defence looks good though Rodgers is fixing that.

I disagree, Liverpool sit in 12th place a million miles away from where they should be.

if rodgers and liverpool are doing well, West Brom and West Ham managers should be winning Manager of the Decade awards!!

Tippy tappy taka tip toe football is ok if you have the players. Liverpool dont and Rodgers doesnt have any other way of playing.. football is about goals and Liverpool dont score them.

its not just about having a striker - because Liverpool only play with 1 striker in the system anyway so it wont make too much difference in they bring in another

the build up play is slow and laboured and there isnt enough energy in midfield.

henderson is awful player, gerrard past his best, Sahin finding English football difficult and Allen a very overrated but very tidy player.

Liverpool defence looks good though Rodgers is fixing that.

We're not even half way into the season ffs (and Liverpool are in 11th, not 12th)

Should we beat Tottenham tonight (as difficult as that may be) then we're right back in the fight for European places.

Rodgers has come into a club that had just been dragged through its worst period in decades (Thanks Hicks and Gillett) at a time when the new owners had tried to appease the fans by bringing in Dalglish and giving him a load of money to spend (yes including loads that was brought in from selling players) and it didn't work out. So first Rodgers had to steady the ship, clear out some of the mistakes and get an idea of what sort of squad he was left with afterwards.

He has brought in some good players like Allen for instance who looked comfortable straight away but has looked tired of late, as well as Assaidi who looks threatening every time he plays but hasn't been seen much yet, and i'm stil confident Sahin will be a quality player given the right players around him. The most important thing Rodgers had over Dalglish though was that he hadn't already been involved in the club before taking over as manager.

Dalglish would already have had a good relationship with some of the players and will have had ideas already of the team he'd play. Rodgers started with a completely clean slate and gave everyone a chance. It's great to see Stirling, Shelvey and Suso get a chance as well as Brad Jones getting a run in the team. He's also seen what fans saw in reserve/youth games; Wisdom is better than Robinson and can be better than Kelly.

At the minute he hasn't got all the personnel he'd like yet to fit his system perfectly but he isn't as far off as some think. He has been trying to implement a whole new (and yet somehow intrinsically LFC) system which is wholly different to the previous one, now when you look at our fixtures list you can see how things haven't always gone to plan, take our first 5 games; West Brom (away), Man City (home), Arsenal (h), Sunderland (a), Man Utd (h). That's a run of games you wouldn't particularly want at any stage of the season, but to start on that with a new manager, new philosophy, new formation etc. You can surely see why we struggled for a while.

Can anyone seriously tell me they think Rodgers should have abandoned his philosophy and delayed introducing this style until after those games? Or until he's signed more players? How does that make any sense?

This is his preferred first team at the minute

....................Reina

Wisdom......Skrtel......Agger......Johnson

..............Allen.........Gerrard

......................Suso

Stirling.................................Enrique

.................Suarez

Enrique has been a revelation on the wing of late and Johnson looks comfortable at left back. Stirling looks tired and in need of a rest, Suso is interchangable with Shelvey, Gerrard, Henderson and Cole if necessary.

I think maybe 3 or 4 signings could turn this side into a team fighting nearer the top. We need to help Suarez more, so we need another striker simply because if he gets injured we're fucked. But we can play with two up top as he has done recently when switching to 3-5-2 with wingbacks, that is just as effective as the 4-3-3. While Stirling looks an amazing prospect, he's not the finished article yet and he does look really tired at the minute, we need another right/left winger and to get Assaidi fit and fighting for a place. We also need left/right back cover, Downing is not good enough at left back or left wing.

So to sum up, i'm so far happy with Rodgers and his team, i'm confident we'll climb the table sooner or later and i'm patient enough to realise it can't be done overnight.

Back
Top Bottom