Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Everton have an excellent first XI that know their roles incredibly well - but nothing behind that, unfortunately. 2 or 3 injuries/runs of bad form and they're screwed.

For the first time in years i have the feeling that this isn't the case with Everton: Distin, Velios, Hitzelsberger and others are pretty decent players.

I also wonder if Donovan will join them after new year, this is only for a couple of weeks but he's good...

Everton have an excellent first XI that know their roles incredibly well - but nothing behind that, unfortunately. 2 or 3 injuries/runs of bad form and they're screwed.

If I were a LFC fan I'm not sure how I'd feel about Rodgers consistently playing down the quality he has at his disposal. That LFC squad cost more than any of the teams that people are mentioning on here and is full of internationals. It's not like they were promoted last season.

I certainly wouldn't want to hear: "Well I've come in as a great manager to a team that came 8th last season, and I've spent a good little chunk of money and now anything above 8th is a wonderful achievement."

there are only three players bought by Rodgers if i´m not wrong so the price of the players is not his fault...

there are only three players bought by Rodgers if i´m not wrong so the price of the players is not his fault...

So the only way we can judge is Rodgers' ability as a manager is if someone goes out and buys him a new 25-man squad? That's ridiculous - he inherited almost the entirety of the Swansea squad ffs!

Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtl, Enrique, Gerard, Sahin, Allen, Henderson, Sterling, Suarez. That's obviously leaving out a few - but that's a more expensive and better group of individuals than most teams in the prem.

I know it's not that simple, but I just can't believe LFC fans are buying into this narrative that Rodgers has swept in with a team of relegation fodder, and anything he manages to do in less than 3 years is some form of divine intervention.

i´m not talking about that..we know that some players prices and form in our squad is not on same level...

we have no striker, we had no striker with Carroll either, but we will have a striker and our bigest problem should be solved..that is to score goals..

our second bigest problem, that is DM position will be solved with Lucas comeback..

I see this a lot at RAWK, PIPA. A lot of you seem convinced that Lucas is the all being answer to Liverpool's problems.

He wont be.

He's been injured on & off for ages. Its the same thing as if Man Utd supporter think Fletcher would be answer - he wouldnt be because he injured for so long.

As for striker I agree - Suarez switched out to left wing with a good finisher in middle will make huge difference. Thats IF you can get a good striker in January - teams will ask a lot of money.

RAWK also convinced Huntelaar is on his way to LFC. Why would he give up CL football for a team in 13th place in league??

I see this a lot at RAWK, PIPA. A lot of you seem convinced that Lucas is the all being answer to Liverpool's problems.

He wont be.

He's been injured on & off for ages. Its the same thing as if Man Utd supporter think Fletcher would be answer - he wouldnt be because he injured for so long.

As for striker I agree - Suarez switched out to left wing with a good finisher in middle will make huge difference. Thats IF you can get a good striker in January - teams will ask a lot of money.

RAWK also convinced Huntelaar is on his way to LFC. Why would he give up CL football for a team in 13th place in league??

you seem to be more on that forum than me...btw, not all people definetly not.. you can´t generalise as you always do..

Lucas is first team player and he will have to give his best again to be in this position in future..

Teams will ask much money, but we won´t spend another 35 mil. that is for sure.. i trust Rodgers in this..

Honestly we aren't that bad as some people say , we only need a striker at the moment and than we can get more points , also without Lucas we can score , than luckas comeback can be good too , if we had a quality striker we really can be way much more up than what we are ! Anyway I really like Rodriges filosofy not spending much money special not in crap players as kenny did , I think we are paying his BIG wrongs he did signing medium table players for a lot of money

With Lucas(the best DM in the PL) back and a decent goal poacher (D. Bent would be perfect) upfront with Suarez, Liverpool would have a very good team and one capable of finishing in the top 5-8 and above Everton

Liverpool powerless as value of precious Sterling rises
Tony Barrett

It was the tweet that was meant to be a denial and an attempt to put the record straight, only for it to create a sense of mystery and intrigue instead. Raheem Sterling responded to claims that he had told Liverpool that he wanted £50,000 a week to stay at the club with an outraged reaction on Twitter, but within minutes of making his feelings known the teenager had deleted the message, probably following advice from his representatives that he wasn’t helping their bargaining position.

“Morning tweeps, I’ve just woken up to this rubbish,” Sterling tweeted. “I can assure you that I’ve not asked for that stupid amount. We’re waiting until I’m 18 to sign.”

All fine and dandy and all in keeping with the reality of a situation in which Liverpool are yet to open formal negotiations with either the player or his representatives, although tentative soundings-out have been under way for several weeks.

Had he stuck to his public position there would have been no further interest and the story which had prompted him to take to Twitter in anger would have been dismissed out of hand. By erasing it, from his own timeline if not the public consciousness, the winger merely added another layer of intrigue to a situation that could and should have been resolved some time ago.

That it hasn’t is not the responsibility of Sterling. It is Liverpool who should never have let things drag out this long. The club’s official position is that Sterling cannot sign a long-term contract until he turns 18 on December 8 and that is certainly the case, but Uefa rules do not prevent a player from agreeing a deal in advance of signing it and by failing to do so in this instance Liverpool have put themselves over a barrel when negotiations finally do begin.

Contrary to Brendan Rodgers’ assertion this weekend that Sterling “has become a very talented young man in the space of four months”, the 17-year-old’s talent was well known by Liverpool long before they signed him from Queens Park Rangers in February 2010 for an initial fee of £600,000. The reason why they shelled out such a huge amount on a youngster was that he was the most highly rated player in his age group in the country.

His talent, therefore, has not been in any doubt from the moment he first walked through the Shankly Gates.

So why have Liverpool taken so long to get round to tying Sterling’s future down? There is an argument that they needed to see how he would perform in the first team before committing themselves to an expensive contract that could become a noose around the club’s neck if Sterling fails on the big stage. There is certainly merit to that point of view, but not enough to explain why they are still to agree a deal despite the England international (for that is what he will become tomorrow) being described as one of the best players in his position in the country by Rodgers.

The more important question is why Liverpool have allowed Sterling to reach so many career landmarks, the kind which inevitably increase his value, without ensuring both that his future lies with them and that they sign him up before his personal demands rise in keeping with his reputation?

Wouldn’t Sterling being called into Rodgers’ squad for Liverpool’s pre-season tour of the United States have been the signal to get a deal done? If not at that point, then how about after he impressed in his full debut against Manchester City, a club who have kept a watchful eye on his development over the last 12 months? Or perhaps, in the immediate aftermath of Sterling being called into the full England squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine?

The meter has been running for several months and at no point have Liverpool done enough to stop it from spinning beyond their control. One thing that is not in any question is that Sterling’s personal demands and value are now at an entirely different value to what they were in August. What might have been a £10,000 – £20,000 weekly contract three months ago is now likely to cost them in the region of £30,000 a week. Considering John W Henry demands “bang for his buck”, it is unlikely that this flawed approach will win favour with Liverpool’s principal owner.

Perhaps Henry should look at himself, however, as once again the problems come down to Liverpool’s flawed hierarchical structure. After Damien Comolli was dismissed as director of football last April – the timing of which was necessary to allow the club to prepare for the summer transfer window, according to Henry – no one was appointed as a direct replacement. That meant responsibility for contracts that previously lay with Comolli fell to Ian Ayre, a managing director whose brief seems to grow with every passing day.

Unlike Manchester City who are putting a definitive football structure in place, Liverpool do not have a Txiki Begiristain, a Ferran Soriano or a Brian Marwood. And with the numerous changes that have taken place at Anfield in the last two years nor do they have continuity.

Ayre is trying to cover up all of the cracks, but with Liverpool appointing a new manager who needed to get to know the players last summer, failing to have a scouting team in place until September and going back on their initial decision to appoint a director of football, responsibility for Sterling’s contract situation could not possibly lie with him.

Now Liverpool are in a position in which they are going to have to pay Sterling more than they would want to, either for the health of their finances or the development of a teenager with so much still to learn. They have to come up with a contract that reflects Sterling’s growing importance to the team, the international recognition that has now come his way and, most importantly, the reality that he could leave for nothing more than a compensation payment in 18 months’ time.

Should Liverpool fail to pay the going rate then they will run the risk of losing him to someone who will. They now must rely on Sterling and his advisers falling in line with their belief that it is unwise to pay a teenager the kind of salary that could potentially damage him.

The director of football model was supposed to prevent this kind of situation from arising by providing continuity through an overseer who is not beholden to results, which was why it was favoured by Henry and his acolytes at Fenway Sports Group.

From the moment they dispensed with that approach without bolstering Liverpool’s structure they made it inevitable that this kind of problem would occur, at least until Rodgers becomes experienced and powerful enough to run football operations on his own.

Eighteen months ago, Comolli gave an interview in which he insisted Liverpool would not sign anyone who could potentially inhibit Sterling’s progress. He was always destined for the first team and the strong likelihood, given his talent, was that he would flourish once he got there. Liverpool should have been prepared for that eventuality but they weren’t and now Sterling and his advisers will enter into negotiations in the knowledge that the bargaining power lies with them, regardless of the contents of his hastily deleted tweet.

Was'nt Rodgers the one who would not work with a DoF ? But I am not too optimistic about Liverpool's spending given what happened in the last 18 months. What I am a bit disappointed is that none of Rodger's signings have really done consistently well apart from Allen who has also dipped a bit recently.
- Allen (great initially, but fading a bit now) 15m
- Borini (injured, but did'nt look the part out wide) 10m
- Sahin (had a few good games. but goes missing)
- Assaidi (same here)
- Yesil (too young or raw, will need 1 year atleast)

Pluses:
- Suarez
- Sterling
- Suso

When I see other teams getting the likes of Berbatov, Mirallas, Jelavic, Ba, Cisse, Cabaye, etc who are not too expensive and were signed by non-top4 teams, I just wonder why we keep ending up without anyone who just clicks instantly.

Last edited:

except Allen, those players were not bought to guide us to the top 4, but to make our squad depth better for relatively cheap price.. besides Sahin is only a loan deal.. and a fantastic one imo.. he might not be the BVB Sahin, but he isn´t bad player at all.. he needs to be played alongside Lucas and Allen to be judged...hopefully soon..

about the players you mention.. it´s all about the avileability and sallary...i don´t believe any of this players would prefeur for example Newcastle over Liverpool if both wanted them and both able to pay their demands..

it´s becouse of bad deals for Carragher, Cole and Downing we might not have enough space in our sallary ladder for the players you mention..but i believe this will also chainge soon, we can´t afford players like Cole to be paid 100 000 a week for nothing.

Steven Gerrard Collects First England Cap, 2000

PA-15116364.jpg

and his 100 cap tonight...

article-0-15F7FB9C000005DC-801_964x376.jpg

legend.

Wonder how many of those 100 games he could legitimately be proud of? (Not just a Gerrard thing though, not many England players can say the same). Hopefully he sees fit to hang up his international boots soon enough.

Rory Smith tweeted earlier about some Liverpool news coming out tomorrow. I think he's deleted that tweet but left this:

Ryan Denton ‏@dents33
@RorySmithTimes The LFC News is it anything to get excited about ?

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes
@dents33 Not for Liverpool, it's not.

Rory Smith tweeted earlier about some Liverpool news coming out tomorrow. I think he's deleted that tweet but left this:

And this is supposedly the news:

A7sSnEyCMAAtjZz.jpg

Can't see Liverpool selling for £50m, let alone £40m.

and it begins :D

City are realy desperate if they still need a striker to add to Dzeko, Tevez, Aguero and Balotelli...oh wait, also Guidetti...

realistically speaking, if city bid around 50 - 60, he will be gone...we all know this..

but i realy hope this club won´t do same mistake again...or the player himself.

LFC could lose much more than a player by selling him...

Is he better than what they have? No. Is he better than Falcao who they could get instead, definitely No. So I don't get it really.

I don't buy that for a second, Why would City want Suarez?

becouse they want everyone
becouse Suarez is top striker in Premier League right now + he does well internationally
becouse he is the reason LFC isn´t in relegation zone and he doesn´t need superstar players around him to do that..
and most of all becouse they can afford him..and everyone if they wanted..

Simon Mullock ‏@MullockSMirror
Just had a call from a very senior source at MCFC. Been told there has been no move for Luis Suarez and there are no plans to bid.

Lot of anger at the Etihad about being linked with Suarez. MCFC think LFC are trying to create a market for their most prized asset

Suarez story written by Merseyside-based reporters. Clearly briefed by LFC. What the motive is for misinformation is a matter of conjecture

Haven't FSG been selling off their most valuable players for the Red Sox recently?

Back
Top Bottom