Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Swansea play football LFC can only dream of. Composed, clever movement off the ball.

Liverpool look so rigid and predictable. They need 4 or 5 players to even think about CL qualification....

We don't need more than 2 world class players, and we didn't play any of the 1st choice back four so the defense looked very weak and they hit us twice on counter-attacks.

If Swansea beat us on Premier League again then I might agree that they have a better team because it was obvious that League cup was never a priority for Rodgers and I'm glad we were kicked out of the competition as we are not composed enough to fight in 4 fronts.

You need a left winger, a left back, a centre back, a holding midfielder and a striker because Lucas seems injury prone and cant do it all alone.

Plus a goal keeper as Reina is getting worse every year.

6 players.

Swansea play football LFC can only dream of. Composed, clever movement off the ball.

Liverpool look so rigid and predictable. They need 4 or 5 players to even think about CL qualification....

don´t forget who was the coach of most of those players...

+ we played their full strenght team with our second squad basicly (only Allen played from what i consider our first 11 right now), only in second half we had to make the chainges...

i don´t think Rodgers considered this cup as cruical, he would play our best team just like Laudrup did..

we had chances, but we didn´t score + Gerrard hit the bar... we need one top striker and a defensive mid in january, possibly a top winger definetly..

don´t forget who was the coach of most of those players...

+ we played their full strenght team with our second squad basicly (only Allen played from what i consider our first 11 right now), only in second half we had to make the chainges...

i don´t think Rodgers considered this cup as cruical, he would play our best team just like Laudrup did..

we had chances, but we didn´t score + Gerrard hit the bar... we need one top striker and a defensive mid in january, possibly a top winger definetly..

I am afraid this is where lots of Liverpool supporter get confused. It was actually Roberto Martinez that implemented the footballing philosophy at Swansea City, not Rodgers.

I am afraid this is where lots of Liverpool supporter get confused. It was actually Roberto Martinez that implemented the footballing philosophy at Swansea City, not Rodgers.

so Rodgers did nothing right? :D that´s why their fans were happy when he left...

Rodgers is a great manager and did fantastic with Swansea, but the foundation was laid by Martinez.
He will need more time with Liverpool because what he wants to do is totally new for Liverpool, it wasn't for the Swansea players. I sincerely hope he gets the time he needs. I hope i'm wrong, but i have a feeling that Liverpool will play his kind of football with very good result in his third season. I have a question for the fans here. Supposing that i'm right about delivering in the third season (and i'm often wrong, but let's forget this for the sake of argument), can you live with two transition seasons?

i live with transit seasons since day Rafa was sacked, so yeah i can definetly..for me now i am more happy about the performance and the kids than results... i want LFC to have identity, and that will take time... Rodgers is the man i trust to bring us the identity..the question is if he will be backed by the owners financially to bring the first choices not second or third ones... i mean realistic targets..

I have a question for the fans here. Supposing that i'm right about delivering in the third season (and i'm often wrong, but let's forget this for the sake of argument), can you live with two transition seasons?

Yep. He's clearly got the right ideas and the right style of football for Liverpool. But he needs support from the board and patience from the fans. He needs funds to make the team his own, by bringing in HIS players who he's confident will work with his system rather than shoehorning the existing players in and hoping that they adapt.

He also needs the fans, and their constant want of needing success immediately, to let him work. There's bound to be a fair number of defeats in the near future and that'll be the case until it's Rodgers' own team. Once that happens ... well, you see how well Swansea play despite not being world beaters but they fit into the system and work excellently as a team. Too many of our current players can't or won't adapt to the new system, I think.

Being Liverpool is his insurance. Its clearly a new foundation being layed . This show explain a lot and he is commit although everything seem to turn into a cul de sac.

I have a question for the fans here. Supposing that i'm right about delivering in the third season (and i'm often wrong, but let's forget this for the sake of argument), can you live with two transition seasons?

Yeah I could, as long as we play good football I know results will come one day. Rodgers has the right philosophy and it will take time to fully implement it.
I don't think it will take that long for Rodgers to deliver, it depends how wise he will spend the funds given for each transfer window.
As I said 2-3 players would make a huge difference in this Liverpool side especially with Lucas set to return very soon.
If there's someone who thinks Rodgers is all to blame and as a result should be sacked, he clearly doesn't have a clue abt football.

rodgers shouldnt be sacked. he is a far better manager than Dalglish but not Benitez in my opinion.

But then again, Benitez spent loads of money as did Dalglish, Rodgers hasnt got that luxury.

rodgers shouldnt be sacked. he is a far better manager than Dalglish but not Benitez in my opinion.

But then again, Benitez spent loads of money as did Dalglish, Rodgers hasnt got that luxury.

Yeah Benitez spent lot´s of money, but he made a lot of money as well for the club, most of the current first 11 squad and youth he brought in are from his days... you always seem to forget Benitez had to bring in second choice players most of the time, he got lucky with Torres, but unlucky with Simao, Quaresma, Dani Alves etc... + LIVERPOOL IS A CLUB THAT HAD TO SEEL BEFORE BUYING.

he did made mistakes, but even after he bough Aquilani, wich is considered flop buy, he was sacked..

Benitez transfers if you are interested + net spend + trophys are not that bad if you look back to that era from today´s perspective.

From current squad, this are still Rafa´s players and are the core of our team:

Glen Johnson (17,500,000 £)
Lucas Leiva (6,750,000 £)
Martin Skrtel (6,500,000 £)
Jose Reina (6,000,000 £)
Daniel Agger (5,800,000 £)

He bought this young players:
Jonjo Shelvey (1,700,000 £)
Raheem Sterling (600,000 £)

This young players he signed for free or promoted from accademy:
Suso
Jakub Sokolik
David Amoo
Dani Pacheco
Martin Kelly
John Flanagan
Péter Gulácsi

+ i consider Danny Wilson still Rafa´s signing, but he came after rafas sacking.

source: http://www.liverweb.org.uk/benitez.asp

Last edited:

What I don't understand is why FSG gave so much money to Dalglish if he was never their long-term manager. Dalglish did well with just Suarez and Carroll taking Liverpool to 6th after the debacle of Hodgson. There was no need to spend so much money on Downing, Henderson, Adam (40 million). In fact there was no need for Carroll either till we reached the summer and could have spent more wisely. I think if Dalglish was left to rely on Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt instead of spending, then we may have finished higher up the table.

Sad to say, but the last 18 months has set us backwards for years to come. Rodgers will be left with scraps. Can't see us spending much more. We just have to hope he signs some good cheap players like what Newcastle did. When you see the likes of Ba, Michu, Mirallas, Jelavic going to other clubs for small transfer fees, it is frustrating. I think when Liverpool tries to bid, then the price is doubled instantly.

Last edited:

Being Liverpool is his insurance. Its clearly a new foundation being layed . This show explain a lot and he is commit although everything seem to turn into a cul de sac.

I'm very interested in the impact that "Being Liverpool" will have on future player recruitment. I wonder how up-and-coming players compare their working environment at whatever club vs. the environment portrayed on the show at Liverpool. On top of improving the accessibility of the club to fans, I think it might prove a valuable recruitment tool.

Taken as a whole, there have been many positives from the new ownership thus far:
1. Hiring of Rogers.
2. More appealing system of play (for most fans).
3. Finally getting to see youngsters in action.
4. Stadium development mostly sorted with what appears to be a great outcome. (possibly start expansion this summer?)
5. Liverpool beats other clubs to the punch in releasing "Being Liverpool", a show that will undoubtedly be parroted by other clubs next fall.

Throw in a positive winter or summer transfer coup while managing expectations for next season and I would expect to see Liverpool in the top 4 by the end of the 2014/2015 season built around a young core of players. At least there is a realistic road map for Liverpool to be in the Champions League in a renovated stadium by 2015, while playing attractive football.

i have doubts over Henderson´s future at this club.. i think Rodgers doesn´t rate him..

getting rid of Cole is a priority, his sallary is comical... Henderson and Downing if not played should make space for other players i guess...

can´t wait for January.

we need someone who can lead the team when Gerrard and Suarez are not playing...

I still think Henderson has everything to become one of the best English players of his generation and on top of that, IMO he is exactly the player to play Rodgers' type of football.

Maybe something iw wrong with his attitude?

I still think Henderson has everything to become one of the best English players of his generation and on top of that, IMO he is exactly the player to play Rodgers' type of football.

Maybe something iw wrong with his attitude?

That's a problem with so many footballers these days. All the ability in the world but think that they've made it and don't work as hard as they should.

Liverpool expect to appoint Alex Inglethorpe, Tottenham Hotspur’s youth-team coach, as reserve-team manager in a reshuffle in which Rodolfo Borrell will take on the role of academy technical director.( Tony Barrett)

i think Henderson has other problem than that Dags, he always gives his all... but imo he isn´t just used enough and i would use him instead of Gerrard or Shelvey more..just to see what he is capable in midfield with Allen and Sahin...

I'm very biased about Henderson, he's my favourite English player.
But i think what i will say now might be objective.

IMO it would be a good thing for both Liverpool and Henderson himself if he could play for another EPL team, maybe being loaned out to a club like Fulham, Swansea or something like that.

I have a feeling that Liverpool fans are fed up with him and lost their patience. IMO a player like Gerrard certainly hasn't been better than Henderson, but he 's a club legend and the fans will always have patience with him (which i understand).

Some nice goals from our kids in game against Wolves U18, ended 4-2

-----------------Fulton-------------------
--Cleary--Jones--Heaton--Maguire--
-----------Baio--------Lussey----------
----Ojo---Trickett-Smith--Peterson--
---------------Sinclair-------------------

Ryan Fulton 16
Daniel Cleary 16
Lloyd Jones 17
Niall Heaton 16
Joe Maguire 16
Jordan Lussey 18
Yalany Baio 18
Kristoffer Peterson 17
Daniel Trickett-Smith 17
Seyi Ojo 15
Jerome Sinclair 16

Yusuf Mersin 18
Sam Gainford 17
Alex O'Hanlon 16
Nathan Quirk 18
Connor Randall 17

Jerome Sinclair Goal: Jerome Sinclair Goal vs Wolves U18 - Video Dailymotion@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video@@AMEPARAM@@video
Seyi Ojo Goal: Seyi Ojo Goal vs Wolves U18 - Video Dailymotion@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video@@AMEPARAM@@video
Kris Peterson Goal: http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xut70e_kris-peterson-goal-vs-wolves-u18_sport
Jerome Sinclair 2nd Goal: http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xut7lg_jerome-sinclair-2nd-goal-vs-wolves-u18_sport

Same old crap every game. We have possession, we muster some half-arsed attempt to try to attack whilst not actually supporting Suarez or being confident enough to shoot, then we concede. Getting ridiculous now and the players need to get their act together and actually TRY to score a goal rather than keep playing it safe and passing responsibility to everyone else.

Yep, its all very well passing it about but Krul has hardly had to make a decent save so far. Up to the final 3rd...and ignoring the defensive work Liverpool have looked really good imo.

Need to commit more attacking players, seems Newcastle was up all over the place, pushing up with nobody to pass to. Hats off to Newcastle but Rogers will change it up after half time. Finger crossed !

Back
Top Bottom