Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Joseph Musker ‏@Musker_LFC
Steven Gerrard has lost possession of the ball 84 times in total this season, more times than any other player in the Premier League. #LFC

Joseph Musker ‏@Musker_LFC
Steven Gerrard has lost possession of the ball 84 times in total this season, more times than any other player in the Premier League. #LFC

That sounds poor but Beckham had his amazing game against Greece all those years ago and supposedly gave the ball away 23 times. 23 times in one game sounds shocking and it is. I hate seeing people giving the ball away but I can't deny Beckham was amazing that day. And that's through gritted teeth aswell :)

Gerrard might have the ball a hell of a lot more than others aswell. Just saying he's given it away the most doesn't show the whole picture.

I'm not slating or sticking up up for him. I'm just saying that numbers can be deciphered in many ways.

Players of that calibre shouldn't give the ball away so much though. I'd be gutted if I gave it away that many times in a season!

Gerrard also has the highest chance creation rating aswell, iirc. But yeah, he has been poor and a few of those passes have cost the team goals.

That sounds poor but Beckham had his amazing game against Greece all those years ago and supposedly gave the ball away 23 times. 23 times in one game sounds shocking and it is. I hate seeing people giving the ball away but I can't deny Beckham was amazing that day. And that's through gritted teeth aswell :)

Gerrard might have the ball a hell of a lot more than others aswell. Just saying he's given it away the most doesn't show the whole picture.

I'm not slating or sticking up up for him. I'm just saying that numbers can be deciphered in many ways.

Players of that calibre shouldn't give the ball away so much though. I'd be gutted if I gave it away that many times in a season!

I imagine Joe Allen has had the ball the same amount of times and has a far better pass completion rate. Sunderland was just another one of Gerrard's games where he just wont see the simple ball and constantly tries the through-ball or hitting it over the top into the corner. It's great that he sees these things, he forces it far too much though and it's already costing us goals.

Gerrard shapes up to play a Hollywood even if it's only a five yard pass, always has done. You can see it in the way he moves before he hits it, almost likes he's gonna take the players head off.

I bet he screams his own name when he smacks a shot as well, full on scouse "GERRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRDDDDDD!!!!"

I imagine Joe Allen has had the ball the same amount of times and has a far better pass completion rate. Sunderland was just another one of Gerrard's games where he just wont see the simple ball and constantly tries the through-ball or hitting it over the top into the corner. It's great that he sees these things, he forces it far too much though and it's already costing us goals.

I'm not denying it Dags. It's just I never like it when numbers are quoted. He could have had the ball 840 times so that's a 90% completion rate so not bad when you look at it like that.

Allen is a different type of player. I could sit back and keep the ball moving like he does as he's very neat and tidy and keeps the ball moving. I like him a lot to be honest. Can't stand players who ball hog or look for Hollywood balls all day.

I walked off the training pitch the other night as was fed up of long balls when we were playing 5-a-side. Pitch was too big for starters. The Hollywood players thought they were great. It's a piece of piss hitting the ball over someone's head. Play quick sharp stuff and they are fucked.

I think there'll be a movement away from this possession obsession that has been fueled by Barca. It's already obvious even with Barca themselves - the focus on pass completion rate is generally less important to their victories than how Messi plays.

I think it's encouraging a bit of 'cowardice' among midfielders. You knock Gerrard for losing the ball a lot (and he does) but he's also the only player trying something penetrative. It's nice to keep the ball 'ticking over' and 'recycling possession' but only if it leads to chances.

Otherwise it just makes football very stale and boring. You keep the ball but do nothing with it.

I think there'll be a movement away from this possession obsession that has been fueled by Barca. It's already obvious even with Barca themselves - the focus on pass completion rate is generally less important to their victories than how Messi plays.

I think it's encouraging a bit of 'cowardice' among midfielders. You knock Gerrard for losing the ball a lot (and he does) but he's also the only player trying something penetrative. It's nice to keep the ball 'ticking over' and 'recycling possession' but only if it leads to chances.

Otherwise it just makes football very stale and boring. You keep the ball but do nothing with it.

All this tiki-taka without a finisher is useless. Just look at the goals we conceded, it's not as if teams are battering us with shots on goal. But at the same time I liked our 2nd half against Sunderland, if you look at our goal, it was 12 passes and some lovely one-touch between Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey.

On the contrary, if we have a couple of decent finishers, imagine how good we could become. Hopefully with the new scouts, we should find some decent strikers. Whenever I see someone like Berbatov, Cisse, Ba, Jelavic, or anyone who did not cost much, score goals, I just feel what if he was at Liverpool ?

On the contrary, if we have a couple of decent finishers, imagine how good we could become. Hopefully with the new scouts, we should find some decent strikers. Whenever I see someone like Berbatov, Cisse, Ba, Jelavic, or anyone who did not cost much, score goals, I just feel what if he was at Liverpool ?

Agree with this. If you had a class player instead of Borini, you'd definitely have won at least a couple of the matches to date.

The only issue would be the system might have to change to accommodate a finisher. It's weird as he's often your most dangerous player, but I do wonder what Liverpool would look like without Suarez. If you could sell him and buy a world class finisher and a decent left winger, I actually think it'd be good business.

It's way too early to judge Borini.
I remember another English that had a Uruguayan forward who didn't score much. In the end it went playing in Spain and was rather good. If i remember well he got named best player in a rather big tournament, a World Cup or something like that...

It's way too early to judge Borini.
I remember another English that had a Uruguayan forward who didn't score much. In the end it went playing in Spain and was rather good. If i remember well he got named best player in a rather big tournament, a World Cup or something like that...

So your point is that Suarez should leave England for Spain where he can be a hit because Forlan flopped in England and he's also Uruguayan?

Not sure I follow your logic.

I just don't see 'it' in Borini. Maybe I'll be wrong. He doesn't look awful, but he doesn't look like a 25 goal a season forward - and given Liverpool's other striking options, that's kind of what they need.

It's true that Borini is no Fernando Torres of old.. Yet he does look capable of 10-15 goals, as does Suarez and Sterling looks good for 5-10... That makes potentially 25-40 goals between them, I'd take that over one player capable of 25 with the others playing second fiddle.. Of course I don't care, we at United have a 50+ partnership with a 25+ sub pairing but I'm not here to gloat... ;)

So your point is that Suarez should leave England for Spain where he can be a hit because Forlan flopped in England and he's also Uruguayan?

Not sure I follow your logic.

I just don't see 'it' in Borini. Maybe I'll be wrong. He doesn't look awful, but he doesn't look like a 25 goal a season forward - and given Liverpool's other striking options, that's kind of what they need.

No beach, i shouldn't have taken an example from Man Utd. All i want to say is not to judge a player too soon.

Fair enough.

Btw, everyone get Raheem Sterling in your fantasy team ahead of the weekend. He is going to tear Evra apart. Evra has always had issues with that type of winger (see Lennon, Aaron) and Sterling is the perfect player against him.

I wonder when we'll ever get to see Assaidi. He's 23 yrs old, and apparently is good on the wings.

I think Borini needs a goal in the Premier League, and I'm sure that confidence will help him. He's a decent player, and I think is being unfairly treated by some of the fans. And it does'nt help when he's played out wide most of the time.
He had some good movements and passing in the sunderland game.

I wonder when we'll ever get to see Assaidi. He's 23 yrs old, and apparently is good on the wings.

I think Borini needs a goal in the Premier League, and I'm sure that confidence will help him. He's a decent player, and I think is being unfairly treated by some of the fans. And it does'nt help when he's played out wide most of the time.
He had some good movements and passing in the sunderland game.

Assaidi was on the bench against Sunderland. He's been fasting and hasn't been training with the team for long, I imagine he'll get game time soon though.

YouTube - Everton tribute to the 96

EDIY: just noticed your post on other page Dags, wouldn't load for me somehow, hopefully is alright to post this one as maybe someone else has same problem as me, as i think no matter club you support, this is what football should be really about

Last edited:

Brilliant to see Everton and their fans give such a wonderful tribute.
Top class.
Wish them well, fantastic club, manager and supporters.

Last edited:

LIVERPOOL will take on Young Boys tomorrow with even younger boys in their starting line-up. Missing will be Pepe Reina, skipper Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Joe Allen and Martin Kelly.

Pepe Reina, who is only one game short of equalling Ray Clemence’s club record of 80 appearances by a Liverpool goalkeeper in Europe, will be rested ahead of Sunday's visit of Manchester United to Anfield.

Brad Jones is set to start in goal with Peter Gulacsi providing cover on the bench.

Brendan Rodgers will take a youthful squad to Switzerland including Samed Yesil, Suso, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Adam Morgan, Jon Flanagan, Jack Robinson and Dani Pacheco.

The manager wants to avoid a repeat of what happened after the play-off round second leg with Hearts last month.

He fielded a strong line-up against the Scots at Anfield but the Reds paid the price for their exertions three days later when they were soundly beaten by Arsenal.

Oussama Assaidi will make his Liverpool debut a month after he was snapped up from Heerenveen for £3million.

Despite the emphasis on youth, there will still be plenty of experience in the team which faces Young Boys at the Stade de Suisse.

Nuri Sahin is expected to start his second game for the Reds following his loan move from Real Madrid.

The Turkey international midfielder, who was an unused substitute at Sunderland last weekend, needs to build up his match fitness and will be hoping to stake a claim for Sunday’s game against United.

Jamie Carragher, who will skipper the Reds, is set to partner Sebastian Coates at the back with Jose Enrique, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing also involved.

Raheem Sterling will travel to Switzerland but may only play a cameo role ahead of Sunday’s game with United.

LIVERPOOL will take on Young Boys tomorrow with even younger boys in their starting line-up. Missing will be Pepe Reina, skipper Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson, Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger, Joe Allen and Martin Kelly.

Pepe Reina, who is only one game short of equalling Ray Clemence’s club record of 80 appearances by a Liverpool goalkeeper in Europe, will be rested ahead of Sunday's visit of Manchester United to Anfield.

Brad Jones is set to start in goal with Peter Gulacsi providing cover on the bench.

Brendan Rodgers will take a youthful squad to Switzerland including Samed Yesil, Suso, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Adam Morgan, Jon Flanagan, Jack Robinson and Dani Pacheco.

The manager wants to avoid a repeat of what happened after the play-off round second leg with Hearts last month.

He fielded a strong line-up against the Scots at Anfield but the Reds paid the price for their exertions three days later when they were soundly beaten by Arsenal.

Oussama Assaidi will make his Liverpool debut a month after he was snapped up from Heerenveen for £3million.

Despite the emphasis on youth, there will still be plenty of experience in the team which faces Young Boys at the Stade de Suisse.

Nuri Sahin is expected to start his second game for the Reds following his loan move from Real Madrid.

The Turkey international midfielder, who was an unused substitute at Sunderland last weekend, needs to build up his match fitness and will be hoping to stake a claim for Sunday’s game against United.

Jamie Carragher, who will skipper the Reds, is set to partner Sebastian Coates at the back with Jose Enrique, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing also involved.

Raheem Sterling will travel to Switzerland but may only play a cameo role ahead of Sunday’s game with United.

United match >>> Europa League

What's interesting is that Ferguson is expected to do the opposite, supposedly going to field a full strength XI tonight against Galatasary.

To be fair, Liverpool (almost) always beat United in the league. It genuinely seems to matter more to them.

United match >>> Europa League

What's interesting is that Ferguson is expected to do the opposite, supposedly going to field a full strength XI tonight against Galatasary.

To be fair, Liverpool (almost) always beat United in the league. It genuinely seems to matter more to them.

Ferguson does not want a repeat of last year's CL exit in the group-stages.

Back
Top Bottom