Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Sterling is not better than Downing. You can't judge a player on two or 3 matches.

I'm with Beach here.

Above all, this is a bad thing for Sterling himself: Walcott, the Ox and now Sterling; massive expectations and they will never be able to live up to the hype (although a player like Walcott is very good, but nobody sees it because he was so hyped).

In England it's all or nothing. Hazard was written off before he even played a match. Then he played 3 very good matches and he's considered as the next big thing. There were even articles along the line of: he may be the best foreign player ever in the EPL. Poor Hazard...after barely 3 matches.

Let me re-phrase that for you then.

I get more excited watching Sterling get the ball then I ever had with Downing. As a fan of football and skill, I would rather watch Sterling then Downing.

i hope sterling doesn't do well for england for next few years, as personally i think its a burden for alot of players and has been due to unrealistic pressure from england.

i hope sterling doesn't do well for england for next few years, as personally i think its a burden for alot of players and has been due to unrealistic pressure from england.

Problem is if he doesn't do well he will be labelled a failure, a selfish "club-man" type of player.. Much like Gerrard and Lampard where.. It's utterly ridiculous, I'm all for optimism in hoping our young players become big stars, but ffs we need some patience!

PIPA, it's just about the idea that a player who has barely played first team football can be drafted into the national team squad. It's just strange and puts un-necessary spotlight on Sterling.
He has already played at under-21 level for England, so surely he will be considered for the England first team in a few years. There was no need to hurry it due to Jamaica.

It's a different thing for Michael Owen who was in the 1998 England World cup team at 19 years of age, since he had played games for Liverpool and was scoring goals in the league for a whole season in 97-98.

the fact he played for U-21 doesn´t mean he will join the senior team automatically...

there are realy many players who play for a country of their parents or joined a national team for reasons other than being proud of their NT...

today many countries search for way to add some players to their NT´s and give a big advantages to them, since young age...

Yesil will follow, he is German, but i doubt Turkey won´t try to snap him.. Sahin is german, but he playes for Turkey...

also remember the Boateng brothers, one playes for Germany, other was upset not being picked for Germany, he choosed Ghana for wich he maybe doesn´t have other connection than his roots..

Interesting snippet from Guardian

The 17-year-old has represented England at Under-17 and Under-19 level, but his club manager, Brendan Rodgers, had cautioned against the winger playing at Under-21 level as he feared it would be too soon. Sterling's inclusion could end Jamaica's hopes of tempting the teenager to play for the country of his birth...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/10/raheem-sterling-livermore-lallana-england

Sterling is not better than Downing. You can't judge a player on two or 3 matches.

I'm with Beach here.

Above all, this is a bad thing for Sterling himself: Walcott, the Ox and now Sterling; massive expectations and they will never be able to live up to the hype (although a player like Walcott is very good, but nobody sees it because he was so hyped).

In England it's all or nothing. Hazard was written off before he even played a match. Then he played 3 very good matches and he's considered as the next big thing. There were even articles along the line of: he may be the best foreign player ever in the EPL. Poor Hazard...after barely 3 matches.

agree. But its not like Liverpool fan to get carried away after seeing a player a few times.

;) :P

the fact he played for U-21 doesn´t mean he will join the senior team automatically...

there are realy many players who play for a country of their parents or joined a national team for reasons other than being proud of their NT...

today many countries search for way to add some players to their NT´s and give a big advantages to them, since young age...

Yesil will follow, he is German, but i doubt Turkey won´t try to snap him.. Sahin is german, but he playes for Turkey...

also remember the Boateng brothers, one playes for Germany, other was upset not being picked for Germany, he choosed Ghana for wich he maybe doesn´t have other connection than his roots..

I really don't like that you can do this.

If you're English you should be able to play for England only, German then Germany, etc.

When the likes of Cacau get in the German team then it just becomes ridiculous. Nothing about him is anything other than Brazilian. I can speak German and have been there a few times, can I try out for the Nationalmannschaft?

yeah, but the boundaries of nationality in modern world is broken basicly...

i´m on the side of those who should play for the national team only if they were born AND LIVED in the country they want to represent at least 10 years...

Ozil is German, despite having Turkish parents or grandparents, Balotelli is Italian, no matter what you say or think about his appereance or parents not being Italian.. but other than that should not be allowed to play, especialy not being born in the country and not having any conection to it other than parents or grandparents being from that country..

but it´s very difficult in modern world..where people can live where they like..

I agree with Pipa. Players should not be allowed to shop for the rigth country.

What i do think they should do is allow a "rest of the world team". That way players like Giggs could participate...

I think it's quite a tough one. I was born in Hong Kong and lived there for 12 years. I have an Italian passport only, and have only lived in Italy for around 6 years in total because of my parents' jobs - but I go back every holiday. But I feel more Italian than anything, even if I am half Chinese - should I be allowed to play for Italy?

Funny you mention that, most hispanics never lived in their parent country, but raised like they never left their parent's country. Puertoricans included although they have no country . You cant tell them that they go postal on ya lol.

Good article about the Hillsborough report.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/12/hillsborough-disaster-police-coverup-revealed

I was disgusted by some facts: performing alcohol tests on corpses is disgusting. It becomes even worse: for the (dead) people who were negative the police ordered to investigate if they had a criminal record.
I knew some strange things have happened there, but i never knew it was that bad. I feel for the victims family who finally know the truth and now i hope justice will be done (also for The Sun).
Always admired Liverpool fans for their boycot of that rag.

thank god we got rid of charlie adam

the poor stoke fans are seeing what he is really like now.

mr holywood instead of keeping it simple.

so annoying

Back
Top Bottom