Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I agree with gerd, it's the fans who are sometimes the biggest hindrance. I think Rodgers is the right manager at this moment in time. You need someone who can rebuild with a modern philosophy, someone who has worked with younger players. Sure he is a risk, but which manager is not a risk?

If we look at the signings so far this summer, all are young players with good potential, and some have decent experience in difficult leagues (Serie A, bundesliga).

I think if you look at the type of players we are signing, they all look good technically and are not too expensive.

Things will get better.

this to me is similar to when alex feguson took over man utd in 1986,he had to clear out all the dead wood and build from the ground up,bringing in his own players and making the club in his image. Liverpool need stability and time to grow for the next few years,i think with rodgers in place it will be possible

As far as I've seen, nobody has been having a go at Rodgers and putting him under any pressure, it's all been aimed at the players for failing to perform.

It's obvious that Rodgers has the right ideas and the general style of play is clear to see but the players are lacking at times. Given time, when Rodgers is able to fully shape the squad how he wants it, I do expect him to get it right. It's just a case of waiting and hoping the current squad steps it up.

As far as I've seen, nobody has been having a go at Rodgers and putting him under any pressure, it's all been aimed at the players for failing to perform.

It's obvious that Rodgers has the right ideas and the general style of play is clear to see but the players are lacking at times. Given time, when Rodgers is able to fully shape the squad how he wants it, I do expect him to get it right. It's just a case of waiting and hoping the current squad steps it up.

agreed.

I like him and think were going the right Direction. it will take time

I fear Rodgers won't be given time. Liverpool manager job is poison challice..I hope I wrong I like Rogers.

Based on their preseason and early season form (and also including Sahin), I'd like to see a midfield starting trio of Allen, Sahin, and Shelvey and an attacking trio of Suarez, Gerrard, and Sterling.

I wager Gerrard hasn't "lost it" quite yet, considering how well he excelled for England only a few months ago... albeit in a different role. But I do agree that if Rogers' goal is to build a Barcelona style midfield, I don't see Gerrard fitting in. I do think he'd do just fine in an attacking role where he wouldn't have to cover so much ground and would be closer to the goal (and he may be the team's best finisher at this point).

Let Shelvey's youthful vigor cover up whatever mistakes he's going to make, and Gerrard up on the right should put him in good position to play direct passes to an overlapping Johnson and a creative Suarez... plus give him a chance to take some shots of his own.

Based on their preseason and early season form (and also including Sahin), I'd like to see a midfield starting trio of Allen, Sahin, and Shelvey and an attacking trio of Suarez, Gerrard, and Sterling.

I wager Gerrard hasn't "lost it" quite yet, considering how well he excelled for England only a few months ago... albeit in a different role. But I do agree that if Rogers' goal is to build a Barcelona style midfield, I don't see Gerrard fitting in. I do think he'd do just fine in an attacking role where he wouldn't have to cover so much ground and would be closer to the goal (and he may be the team's best finisher at this point).

Let Shelvey's youthful vigor cover up whatever mistakes he's going to make, and Gerrard up on the right should put him in good position to play direct passes to an overlapping Johnson and a creative Suarez... plus give him a chance to take some shots of his own.

Gerrard could be excellent out on the right wing imo. He has a great cross on him, and has pretty decent energy, especially if he doesn't have to defend.

I honestly don't see what all the fuss about Shelvey is about. IMO he is a fairly ordinary player (maybe this will haunt me for years to come).
The fact that Lucas is injured again, is a major blow for Liverpool. He is arguably your most important player.

The fact that Borini is compared to Kuyt is not that bad. Kuyt was a very usefull player who scored important goals. IMO Liverpool could have used him this season.

Fans should not forget that since Liverpool finshed second in the EPL, they are in a big shambles with Hicks and Gillette, Hodgson (not so sure about him), Dalglish and Commoli...It will take time for Rodgers to adjust all this. The only thing fans should expect this season is better football after new year.
You can't judge Rodgers before next season.

Totally agree, this may be Gerrard's only place in the team.

Rafa understood that Gerrard is not tactically disciplined, but a player who used to have sudden bursts of shooting/crossing/runs that are unpredictable and deadly near goal.
So he played on the right wing, and then later behind Torres as a support striker.

Today, he is less effective, but still has some goal threat. (8-10 goals a year)
But this would mean dropping Borini, who to be fair is not a bad player, but played out of position.

Funny thing is that Gerrard is the anti-FSG type of player, he is getting old, and on a huge contract, injury prone and declining in form. If he were not captain, he would have been dropped like Carragher.

Last edited:

sorry Gerd but people are right about Borini....please please dont expect big things from him Liverpool fans.

Breaking news also: Sky Italia just confirmed LFC have offered contract to Del Piero.

Class if true.

Thankfully Owen is joining Stoke, good decision by Rodgers not to pursue that.

Regarding our football in the attacking third.
Rodgers says

"We build the game very well through the thirds, but it's about making sure that when we arrive in the final third, if we can't find the moment to score straight away, we maybe have to have that bit more patience.

"That has a knock-on effect to the team. When you are that little bit more patient at the top end of the field, everyone else behind that then can get into position.

"We've created enough chances to score goals in the games. That's been pleasing.

"It's finding that football intelligence at the top end."

Footballing intelligence, that's precisely what we need. Something Gerrard and Suarez need to do more of, instead of trying hollywood stuff all the time.

Eidur Gudjohnsen and Florent Sinama-Pongolle are among those available on a free transfer......

has anyone thought that maybe the 2 strikers rodgers has is enough,i mean when he managed swansea he only used danny graham and was it luke moore as sub. With liverpool playing 433 now there is only 1 cf space available in that system so its not a big problem really is it?

has anyone thought that maybe the 2 strikers rodgers has is enough,i mean when he managed swansea he only used danny graham and was it luke moore as sub. With liverpool playing 433 now there is only 1 cf space available in that system so its not a big problem really is it?

You have a point, but Swansea scored few goals last season and also had a lot of draws if I remember.
We're heading for the same unless we get better finishers.

are you a prophet? where was Drogba in his age for example? or maybe few other famous strikers?

That argument is so lazy. Drogba is the exception to the rule. Most truly world class strikers had demonstrated their abilities at some decent level before 23. Especially in today's world of scouting and internet videos.

Borini doesn't look terrible, but I will eat my proverbial hat if he suddenly morphs into world class at 26/27.

I still think Suarez could have a great season. If he gets a couple lucky deflections or easy tap ins I think he could turn around his 'woeful finisher' reputation.

All that said, what people are missing in Rodger's preference of a 433 with only one up top is the one. Graham is NOTHING like Suarez or Borini. The only player Liverpool had with similar attributes was Carroll.

Back
Top Bottom