Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Guys I know it is hard, but the football you were playing was nice at times, I think it will click at some point.

But it really was a massive fuck up getting rid of Andy Carroll and not replacing him. I know today he would have caused us a lot of problems.

Sorry, mate, but I have to disagree, first tackle from Mertesacker he clearly got the ball, absolutely no penalty. That pull he made on Suarez, the Uruguayan could have easily gotten away, it wasn't that much of a pull at all, it's in his nature so to speak to get down so easily.

Anyway, I was impressed with Sterling and Shelvey, and concerning Joe Allen I knew he was gonna be vital for Liverpool, such a classy midfielder, his movements/turns with the ball remind me of Xavi (please don't crucify me lol). Downing looked a lot sharper and direct than Borini. Gerrard has to be dropped, really, and I'm sure you know it, guys.

I was talking about the vermaelen tackle, missed the ball and clipped Suarez. Nothing serious, but it starts to piss you off when the the slightest foul the otherway, within 2 min does get called a foul. And Suarez not getting fouls is his own fault. Still annoying though.

Yeah Gerrard needs to be dropped, he looks like he is tired most of the time resulting in poor timing or poor passing. Its like he is counting how many safe passes he makes before trying something...that these days mostly fail.

Anyway, time to get rid of Reina in my FT, 7 goals conceded in 3 games...Ouch!

yep its going to be a long season,hopefully the penny has dropped with fans now and a top 6 finish is the most we can hope for until more money can be invested properly

top 6 mate? i will be happy with us not being in relegation zone by the end of december..

we have no goalscorer and if we don´t buy one, where will the goals come from? we can´t win games without scoring goals...

we are in big trouble atm.

positives:

-Joe Allen, a supreme midfielder, classy, the way he kept the ball moving and close control was amazing to watch. He's only 21, and Rodgers was right in saying that he's a European-class player who will cost double in a few years.

-Sterling, can't believe this teenager is doing so well, he almost scored.
A fresh breath of air.

-Shelvey, he came on and added a lot more dynamism in our midfield.
He almost scored and had a great 30 minutes than Gerrard's 90 mins.

negatives:

- Gerrard, he has lost it. He cannot play in this system. His bad pass gave away the 1st goal. Same thing he did against City. He needs to be put on the right-wing or on the bench. In general his passing was bad.

- Suarez, had a bad game, he is always trying to beat players when he should at times just keep the ball. How many times he just runs into the defender with his head down is ridiculous. He needs more awareness to look around and bring others into the play.
His finishing is still 2nd-class, he missed a gilt-edged chance in the end.

- Reina, made a decent save from Gibbs, but a bit lazy with his attempt for Cazorla's goal. Yet again responsible for a goal conceded.

- Borini, he made some errors, but he's new and at times he is trying his best, especially when he retreived a lost cause and crossed when Gerrard's pass was overhit, and Borini's cross led to Sterling's chance that hit the post. But I think he's played out of position and he will take time to do well. More of a squad player, maybe should be on the bench with Downing or Assaidi given a chance. But it's wrong for the Liverpool fans to get on his back when Gerrard and Reina are playing so bad.

overall:
Rodgers will need time and patience, which unfortunately the Liverpool fans will not give him. If he drops Gerrard, there will be a riot if they don't win games. Dropping Gerrard means stripping him of the captaincy, so it will never happen. But I hope it does. Gerrard's time is over and he is a liability now to the team.
I think Shelvey has done enough to deserve to start next game.

Rodgers has great ideas, but the players are not cutting it for him. He did the right thing in getting rid of Carroll, Adam, Spearing. He tried to get rid of Cole and Henderson too, which were the right decisions too.
But for him, it is Gerrard, Suarez, Reina his big-name players who are letting him down.

Rodgers confirms that he would NOT have let Carroll go away unless he was sure another player was coming in.
Just like he said 1 month ago that there was no way he would let Carroll go without a replacement.

So looks like it was Ian Ayre or FSG that blew this one up.

Carroll can be recalled in January if needed.

I think Rodgers has been remarkably calm in the interviews or press-conferences, when in the past Rafa would blame others for problems.

Credit due to Rodgers !

To me I think there is a problem when the big players are guaranteed a game no matter how they play.

- Reina
- Gerrard (capt)
- Suarez

these 3 are undroppable at this point because of their names.

For me I think Rodgers will need to get replace all 3 of them with players who are more hungry.
Suarez has the passion, but he misplaces them in his whining at fellow players and the referee.

Reina and Gerrard definitely need to be replaced next season.

If Rodgers is given time at this club, which I think he deserves, then he needs to phase them out of the team.

But with our current financial state, I can't see how this happens unless we sell Reina first. Replace him with Vorm from Swansea who is a fantastic keeper. Gerrard is the biggest problem, he won't go anywhere else.

Another thing regarding Borini, he needs to be in the middle, and not on the wings. He does not have the trickery or pace to beat people there. He is more of a poacher who needs to be in the middle. Right now he is being played out of position and that does not help his confidence. This is something Rodgers is making a mistake. Let Suarez be on the right since he can beat players.

No idea what has happened to Assaidi, he was not even on the bench.

Last edited:

with no incoming players liverpool will be lucky if they can get in the top ten nevermind the top four! what the hell are the owners doing. clearly they dont really give a shit about the club. and only care about the red sox. GO BACK TO AMERICA YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Guys I know it is hard, but the football you were playing was extremely ineffective

edited for accuracy...

the problem with Rodgers is at he had just 1 season in Premier league and was appointed on back of that.

look at all clubs that have been promoted and had good first season in the past...reading, hull etc etc

His sides have no second plan when things are going wrong. He is also at a club which has been starved at success for many year. I view Liverpool like England manager job...very similar...huge pressure.

If I was betting man I would say he will not be given the time that Dalgish had because he was a legend in fans eyes and could do no wrong.

same with Benitez...he brought CL glory to Liverpool and fans backed him even though his sides seriously underperformed in later years...

Calm down lads, you'll beat Utd and everything will look much better.

they always beat Man Utd these days. LFC struggle against average sides every year though.

Although now it seems they cant even beat bigger teams on todays show.

(Apologise for my English)

Last edited:

Reina and Gerrard have to go to the bench for some matches.
Shelvey is going to be a top top midfielder, he is amazing. I dont understand how a finished player like Gerrard is ahead of him.

Tbh I disagree (with benni). I think everybody can see that the way the team is playing is the correct direction and that it will be very effective given time and some more players that will work in the system. We shouldnt forget that they were pretty dominant so far in the 3 prem matches, but due to different issues didnt get the desired result. Although overall the goals conceded were selfinflicted.

The biggest issue imo is that the team needs 2 or 3 top class players to really make it tick and effective, but without spending ott to sign them it will have o come from development and some schrewd cheap buys. And that will take time.

edited for accuracy...

the problem with Rodgers is at he had just 1 season in Premier league and was appointed on back of that.

look at all clubs that have been promoted and had good first season in the past...reading, hull etc etc

His sides have no second plan when things are going wrong. He is also at a club which has been starved at success for many year. I view Liverpool like England manager job...very similar...huge pressure.

If I was betting man I would say he will not be given the time that Dalgish had because he was a legend in fans eyes and could do no wrong.

the problem with Rodgers?

there is no problem with Rodgers, AT ALL.

Reina, Gerrard, Enrique, Borini, Sahin - leave them out.

Shelvey looks like he is ready to have a good run out this season, give him a chance.

there is a problem around Pool...Gerrard , he should have go away long time ago, he needs to change club, atmosphere....he is just not there, and he is the soul and the heart of the team, the playmaker , the captain....

with no incoming players liverpool will be lucky if they can get in the top ten nevermind the top four! what the hell are the owners doing. clearly they dont really give a shit about the club. and only care about the red sox. GO BACK TO AMERICA YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

It's funny how fans conveniently forget that it was FSG who bought us before we went into ADMINISTRATION. FSG saved us from a huge points deduction, and lest you forget they got rid of Hodgson and especially Purslow.
FSG are the ones who listened to the fans and appointed Dalglish. Then they backed him to the hilt with 120m in transfer money over the period of TWO TRANSFER WINDOWS. And when they see that Dalglish takes the team to 8th place after spending big bucks, they were totally justified in getting rid of Kenny and Comolli for their underperformance.
Now FSG have appointed a decent modern manager like Rodgers who is signing the right players and getting rid of all the bad signings, cleaning up the wage bill. Sure they need to back him, but you can't blame them after being stung so badly, it will take another few windows before we can sign any more good players.

Really funny how these deluded fans keep blaming FSG for everything.
They're not perfect, but they're not that bad either.

Shelvey looks like he is ready to have a good run out this season, give him a chance.

Agree with Reina, Gerrard. Enrique is still doing ok.

Borini is not even being played in his suited position of center-forward. And he's only 21 years old lest anyone forget. But yes let him be on the bench while we see what Assaidi can do.

Sahin, deary me, it was his first game in England, and he did'nt put a foot wrong, sure he was a bit cautious, but he was playing very smart, and will get even better.

Agree with Reina, Gerrard. Enrique is still doing ok.

Borini is not even being played in his suited position of center-forward. And he's only 21 years old lest anyone forget. But yes let him be on the bench while we see what Assaidi can do.

Sahin, deary me, it was his first game in England, and he did'nt put a foot wrong, sure he was a bit cautious, but he was playing very smart, and will get even better.
About Sahin, doing absolutely nothing doesnt make you play a good game mate. He did nothing, you couldnt tell if he was playing or not.

I don't understand why you don't play Borini central with Suarez on one side of him, doesn't make any sense when they're obviously better that way.

Unfortunately at Liverpool, the big names like Suarez and Gerrard will not move around so easily. It would also put tremendous pressure on the new players like Borini if he became the main striker with Suarez and Sterling supporting him wide.

If Rodgers starts pushing the main players out of their "important" positions, there will be problems in the dressing-room and in the stands. It will be AVB all over again.

Last edited:

With all due respect (and don't take this personal). This quote is a fine example of Liverpool's biggest asset and their biggest problem: the fans.
There is no club in England that has passioante fans like Liverpool, but passion is not always good. Expectations are too high. For most of these fans clubs like Liverpool have a divine right to win the EPL and the CL and this with the most sexy football. That is unrealistic. If expectations are sky high, you get posts like this one.

Sahin played one match: he is already judged.
Borini hasn't played 10: not good enough.
Luis Enrique is one of the best LB's in the EPL. Who would you take if he had to go?
There are players enough who have had a bad first season and who became club icons or world class players. Don't forget that teams have to gell, foreign players should get the time to adapt.

If you want Liverpool to have big results again, allow Rodgers this season (and maybe even next) as a transitional season. If people ask instant success, there will never be success again.

The same goes for my favourite club, Spurs. I don't expect a CL place from them. I expect them to play good football after new year....and let's be honest, i might be prejudiced, but IMO Spurs is more of a finished product than Liverpool...

Liverpool Football Club's principal owner John W Henry has written the following open letter to supporters:

I am as disappointed as anyone connected with Liverpool Football Club that we were unable to add further to our strike force in this summer transfer window, but that was not through any lack of desire or effort on the part of all of those involved. They pushed hard in the final days of the transfer window on a number of forward targets and it is unfortunate that on this occasion we were unable to conclude acceptable deals to bring those targets in.

But a summer window which brought in three young, but significantly talented starters in Joe Allen, Nuri Sahin and Fabio Borini as well as two exciting young potential stars of the future - Samed Yesil and Oussama Assaidi - could hardly be deemed a failure as we build for the future.

Nor should anyone minimise the importance of keeping our best players during this window. We successfully retained Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Luis Suarez. We greatly appreciate their faith and belief in the club. And we successfully negotiated new, long-term contracts with Luis and with Martin.

No one should doubt our commitment to the club. In Brendan Rodgers we have a talented young manager and we have valued highly his judgement about the make-up of the squad. This is a work in progress. It will take time for Brendan to instill his philosophy into the squad and build exactly what he needs for the long term.

The transfer policy was not about cutting costs. It was - and will be in the future - about getting maximum value for what is spent so that we can build quality and depth. We are avowed proponents of UEFA's Financial Fair Play agenda that was this week reiterated by Mr Platini - something we heartily applaud. We must comply with Financial Fair Play guidelines that ensure spending is tied to income. We have been successful in improving the commercial side of the club and the monies generated going forward will give us greater spending power in the coming years.

We are still in the process of reversing the errors of previous regimes. It will not happen overnight. It has been compounded by our own mistakes in a difficult first two years of ownership. It has been a harsh education, but make no mistake, the club is healthier today than when we took over.

Spending is not merely about buying talent. Our ambitions do not lie in cementing a mid-table place with expensive, short-term quick fixes that will only contribute for a couple of years. Our emphasis will be on developing our own players using the skills of an increasingly impressive coaching team. Much thought and investment already have gone into developing a self-sustaining pool of youngsters imbued in the club's traditions.

That ethos is to win. We will invest to succeed. But we will not mortgage the future with risky spending.

After almost two years at Anfield, we are close to having the system we need in place. The transfer window may not have been perfect but we are not just looking at the next 16 weeks until we can buy again: we are looking at the next 16 years and beyond. These are the first steps in restoring one of the world's great clubs to its proper status.

It will not be easy, it will not be perfect, but there is a clear vision at work.

We will build and grow from within, buy prudently and cleverly and never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages. We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best but we will not overpay for players.

We will never place this club in the precarious position that we found it in when we took over at Anfield. This club should never again run up debts that threaten its existence.

Most of all, we want to win. That ambition drives every decision. It is the Liverpool way. We can and will generate the revenues to achieve that aim. There will be short-term setbacks from time to time, but we believe we have the right people in place to bring more glory to Anfield.

Finally, I can say with authority that our ownership is not about profit. Contrary to popular opinion, owners rarely get involved in sports in order to generate cash. They generally get involved with a club in order to compete and work for the benefit of their club. It's often difficult. In our case we work every day in order to generate revenues to improve the club. We have only one driving ambition at Liverpool and that is the quest to win the Premier League playing the kind of football our supporters want to see. That will only occur if we do absolutely the right things to build the club in a way that makes sense for supporters, for us and for those who will follow us. We will deliver what every long-term supporter of Liverpool Football Club aches for.

JOHN W HENRY
-

Sahin? Why?

Probably judging far too early but...he looked disinterested, shirked some challenges and looked like he was a bit lackadaisical.

But, one game is probably a bit harsh to judge.

Shelvey made all the midfield look poor though (Allen excluded, he is ace).

With all due respect (and don't take this personal). This quote is a fine example of Liverpool's biggest asset and their biggest problem: the fans.
There is no club in England that has passioante fans like Liverpool, but passion is not always good. Expectations are too high. For most of these fans clubs like Liverpool have a divine right to win the EPL and the CL and this with the most sexy football. That is unrealistic. If expectations are sky high, you get posts like this one.

Sahin played one match: he is already judged.
Borini hasn't played 10: not good enough.
Luis Enrique is one of the best LB's in the EPL. Who would you take if he had to go?
There are players enough who have had a bad first season and who became club icons or world class players. Don't forget that teams have to gell, foreign players should get the time to adapt.

If you want Liverpool to have big results again, allow Rodgers this season (and maybe even next) as a transitional season. If people ask instant success, there will never be success again.

The same goes for my favourite club, Spurs. I don't expect a CL place from them. I expect them to play good football after new year....and let's be honest, i might be prejudiced, but IMO Spurs is more of a finished product than Liverpool...

Sahin was probably too early to judge. I like impact players, he didn't have any impact.

Borini hasn't showed anything other than being the new Kuyt. Maybe it's coz he is out of position...but the manager thinks he can do a job there. He can't.

Enrique is over rated. I'm sure there are plenty better left backs at lesser known clubs who are better than him.

My expectations are not high. I just want to see players passing and moving. It's not difficult. Although, the way we played on Sunday, you would think it is.

If we had of lost 3-2 and put in a real good display, that would have been fine. But we were awful. Even Arsenals back line passed us the ball a few times and we still couldn't even manage a shot on goal.

Fair enough kevano. Thanks for explaining yourself. I don't agree with you on Borini and Luis Enrique, but i might be wrong too.

About that statement of John W Henry: classy. IMO you have the right owner. Patience is the keyword now...

Fair enough kevano. Thanks for explaining yourself. I don't agree with you on Borini and Luis Enrique, but i might be wrong too.

About that statement of John W Henry: classy. IMO you have the right owner. Patience is the keyword now...

Agreed with that, it was the right move to issue a statement like that and I think a lot of people forget the turmoil we were in just before they took over.

PS I hope you're right about Borini!

i get the same feeling about Boroni (at the moment) he is a poor mans kuyt.

however he has time on his side to adapt but i just see him running blind alleys without lifting his head up and he lacks any real creativity.

i would put him upfront and have Luis feeding off him on the wing as he likes to dribble so much instead of bringing people into play. Boroni to his credit does try to do this and i think he would work better up top. but what do i know, the manager must see something i don't

Sterling has been playing brilliantly, and it is a joy to watch him run at players without any fear. he has fitted in really well and will be a big part of this season (think of Sinclair at Swansea), Rogers likes his wingers.

would like to see this new winger we signed to see what he is about.

Shelvey looks like a power house we need in midfield considering Gerrard looks like a shrinking voilet right now. i have never seen him so sloppy. i think we are not all on the same page yet so hopefully they can click soon. Suarez also falls into this category, giving the ball away far to much but i can see what they are tyring to do, hopefully it will come without any effort. i think it is far to much effort and not natural play and we are getting caught on the counter everytime we give it away in their final third.

Allen - looks a real class act, i must admit i wasn't expecting him to impress me so quickly but i feel he is like a little Xavi Alonso and has the technique of some of the continental players who can keep the ball with intelligent play.

Reina, not sure what is happened to him but i can let him make a few mistakes before i take the piss out of him as he has been a rock for us in the past except those real howlers.

we really are short upfront, looking at the bench against Arsenal we had nothing to change the game, absolutely terrifying as a liverpool fan to see that bench.

Arsenal gave the ball away allot and were there for the taking, don't forget this is Anfield and teams should be shitting themselves when they come to play here, they certainly used too. the constast pressure from the kick off, the atmosphere used to unnerve teams. we need to get that right first and foremost. 12th man simply doesn't work for us anymore

anyway probably the most i have typed in this topic :P

Back
Top Bottom