Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Call me crazy, but today I was watching our 2005 season review, and I see some parallels with this season and Rafa's first season in charge. Owen was our main striker who left and we were left with a young-ish Baros and new signing Cisse. We ended up blooding the youngsters like Mellor and Pongolle, even a lot of youth played in the carling cup (potter, welsh, etc). We did'nt do too bad did we ?

Who knows, with Rodgers' I see similarities with Sterling breaking into the first team, Morgan getting a chance, Assaidi still to come in with his skill and goals, Yesil also may get chance later on.
Losing strikers and signing midfield players like Allen, Sahin who I think are some of the best midfielders we have since Alonso/Masch.

One big difference is that Rafa had a younger, more effective Gerrard.

Interesting article from Tomkins
http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/08/do-liverpool-have-enough-goals-in-them/

Last edited:

Call me crazy, but today I was watching our 2005 season review, and I see some parallels with this season and Rafa's first season in charge. Owen was our main striker who left and we were left with a young-ish Baros and new signing Cisse. We ended up blooding the youngsters like Mellor and Pongolle, even a lot of youth played in the carling cup (potter, welsh, etc). We did'nt do too bad did we ?

Who knows, with Rodgers' I see similarities with Sterling breaking into the first team, Morgan getting a chance, Assaidi still to come in with his skill and goals, Yesil also may get chance later on.
Losing strikers and signing midfield players like Allen, Sahin who I think are some of the best midfielders we have since Alonso/Masch.

One big difference is that Rafa had a younger, more effective Gerrard.

Interesting article from Tomkins
http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/08/do-liverpool-have-enough-goals-in-them/

even bigger difference is that there was no Man. City as well..

So the formation to face Arsenal >>

Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Sterling, Borini, Suarez.

Subs: Jones, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Henderson, Kelly, Coates.

R.I.P Liverpool's bench, no strikers we're screwed Big Time...

Owen is not going to come back again mate, never.
This is a transitional year, Rodgers started the process of dismanteling the awful base he inherited from the dinosaur, but that is going to take more than just one window. The problem is that our biggest tumour is Andy Carroll and there is a question mark wether what is going to happen with him next season.
Reina
Johnson Coates Agger Jose Enrique
Gerrard Allen Sahin
Sterling Borini Suarez

Far from an impressive team but with a good manager and the right system things can happen.

Rodgers stated that Owen is on the top of his wishlist...

ANOTHER stupid mistake costing us. Instead of keeping it simple, Gerrard has to try and pull off some Hollywood crap. He's had a decent game otherwise but it's stupid shit like his Hollywood nonsense when it's not even close to being necessary which is losing possession so much.

Saying that, Suarez and Borini have also been poor. Touch and technique from both has been awful.

thats a penalty! Edit.... No it wasnt . Gerrard again showing why he a liability to to the rodgers system. And whats killing the team is not having a proper number 9

Last edited:

Apart from Sterling, we're STILL awful up front. No threat at all, opposition goalies might as well bring their iPad or whatever and play some games or something.

Borini and Gerrard need to be taken off, both a liability more than offering anything. Borini especially has been unbelievably average, offered nothing whatsoever.

I told you guys Borini is overhyped.

Chelsea reject and scored just 9 goals last season.

Is Sahin playing? Havent noticed him.

Downing should substitute Borini in the 2nd half, Borini is not good playing wide.
Watching Podolski's goal, I realized how much we needed a player like Dempsey. Sterling is having a great game so far, he's even more dangerous than Suarez at times.

Gerrard just cant play .. no more.
Shelvey in, Gerrard out. And do that until Lucas comes back. Gerrard cant play and will never be able to play under this system.

I told you guys Borini is overhyped.

Chelsea reject and scored just 9 goals last season.

Is Sahin playing? Havent noticed him.

I kinda agree about Borini, if he was such a talent I doubt Roma would've let him go so easy, especially seeing how they kept hold of De Rossi season after season.

Sahin is playing :P but he looks a bit slow with the ball, I hope he adjusts with EPL's high tempo very soon.

Yep, dont see the point in having Borini on the left, I thought he was supposed to be the one finishing the chances. Atm would rather give Downing a shot on that side, as he will only be playing if Sterling gets injured on the other. You can see the need to have Lucas, Liverpool just have loads of space infront if the back 2 whenever a team counters. And Gerrard has been prettypoor overal. I dont mind a mistake inthe final 3rd, but generally so far this season he seems to be off the pace and lacking sharpness and understanding with Suarez. Most of the passes seem to be a yard too far ahead or behind everytime. Also think Suarez could do more damage there, picking up the ball and being 1 on 1 with players.

So a shoulder to shoulder is an arsenal freekick, yet a kick or being pulled back is nothing for liverpool. You know what you can do Webb!

Anything half decent goes through Sterling. We'd be screwed if it wasn't for an inexperienced 17 year old.

Ah good, Reina again.

Roy Carroll > Pepe Reina lol

So we're 2-0 down, normally at this time any coach would throw in a striker to change things but we don't have one in the bench.
Liverpool has certainly lost the touch, I hope we don't get humiliated when we play Man United.

Possibly one of the worst performances, certainly in the second half, that I've seen in a LONG time.

All the smiling and excitement bubbling from Rodgers has to go now, he'll realise what kind of work is needed because we're a mid-table team basically. We step it up when we can be arsed, as soon as we become slightly disinterested then we fall apart.

Allen and Sterling our better players so far this season. Two new players, with a point to prove. The likes of Gerrard not really too fussed as they're already on that nice wage and are just sitting about and collecting their money whilst their career winds down as such a big club as Liverpool.

The squad needs their arses well and truly kicked. This is embarrassing.

Maybe we could've had a good squad though, had a bit more re-investment been made. £24m saved in wages over the season, yet we fail to replace most of the outgoing players.

It was always going to be a season for Rodgers to put his system in place but he's having to do it with players who don't really give a shit anyway. A shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

yep its going to be a long season,hopefully the penny has dropped with fans now and a top 6 finish is the most we can hope for until more money can be invested properly

So a shoulder to shoulder is an arsenal freekick, yet a kick or being pulled back is nothing for liverpool. You know what you can do Webb!
Sorry, mate, but I have to disagree, first tackle from Mertesacker he clearly got the ball, absolutely no penalty. That pull he made on Suarez, the Uruguayan could have easily gotten away, it wasn't that much of a pull at all, it's in his nature so to speak to get down so easily.

Anyway, I was impressed with Sterling and Shelvey, and concerning Joe Allen I knew he was gonna be vital for Liverpool, such a classy midfielder, his movements/turns with the ball remind me of Xavi (please don't crucify me lol). Downing looked a lot sharper and direct than Borini. Gerrard has to be dropped, really, and I'm sure you know it, guys.

It's obvious that Rodgers needs at least this season to rebuild. All that the fans have to expect now is having a year in which the team adapts to Rodgers football.
Liverpool need a good CF.

Positive: Sterling and Allen were class, Downing came well in.

And for god's sake: let Henderson play in stead of Gerrard, he was once again pathetic.

I can't really remember the last time I've been more frustrated with Gerrard than today. I'm so embarrassed to be a Liverpool fan right now.
The problem last season was the fact that we couldn't score and we hit the woodwork 2-3 times in almost every match but we created a lot of chances.
But today's performance was awful and unlike the match against WBA when we put the blame on the referee, now we don't have anyone to blame.

Allen seemed to be the only quality player for Liverpool who I believe is going to be the most consistent player this season, Sterling also showed some glimpses of that but he's still young and we can't expect from a 17-year-old to carry a team like Liverpool on his back.

Back
Top Bottom