Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Tom Werner once said in an interview that Liverpool have the money to compete with any team in the world. Riiiight.

Rory Smith from The Times saying Dempsey now at Spurs Lodge...

FSG losing a lot of confidence from me. What happened to us challenging for the title within years? We've stripped the squad clean so we can lower the wages, decreased the squad depth, let a striker go out on loan but no replacement.

Just how serious are FSG about us getting into the CL, never mind any effort at a title at any point.

Hugely disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Werner once said in an interview that Liverpool have the money to compete with any team in the world. Riiiight.

Rory Smith from The Times saying Dempsey now at Spurs Lodge...
We hade a lot of money but Dalglish blowed it away last year. I dont why is that so hard to understand for some people. The decisions Dalglish made last year, sent us at least 3 seasons backwards.
The owners last season spent 120M. They cant do that every year. No club can.

We hade a lot of money but Dalglish blowed it away last year. I dont why is that so hard to understand for some people. The decisions Dalglish made last year, sent us at least 3 seasons backwards.
The owners last season spent 120M. They cant do that every year. No club can.

Exactly, it's not FSG's fault that they trusted Dalglish and Commoli with so much money. I don't think it's practical to expect FSG to blow another 50m this summer on players when we're having such a hard time in shipping out Carroll, Henderson, Downing. Only Adam has left, and he was not that expensive to begin with.

But I think there seems to be some lack of planning between Rodgers and FSG. At one time Rodgers was saying we dont need 30-goal strikers and everyone needs to score. So I'm not sure it was his top priority until the last few days when he has seen how lousy we are in putting away chances.

I think Gerrard should play in the front-3 with Suarez and Assaidi/Sterling. That's the best chance we have.

kling kenny is to blame for it all, 100mil ?? Fuck me seriously i could have signed a whole 23 man squad for that than jizz that money up the wall like he did....

Exactly, it's not FSG's fault that they trusted Dalglish and Commoli with so much money. I don't think it's practical to expect FSG to blow another 50m this summer on players when we're having such a hard time in shipping out Carroll, Henderson, Downing. Only Adam has left, and he was not that expensive to begin with.

But I think there seems to be some lack of planning between Rodgers and FSG. At one time Rodgers was saying we dont need 30-goal strikers and everyone needs to score. So I'm not sure it was his top priority until the last few days when he has seen how lousy we are in putting away chances.

I think Gerrard should play in the front-3 with Suarez and Assaidi/Sterling. That's the best chance we have.
Well they have some blame, they trusted their biggest investment to a dinosaur manager that had been out of the game for a long time and had a record of ruining squads.
The problem is that the vast majority of Liverpool fans are going to throw all the blame to FSG and nothing to Dalglish. They are even going to call for his return if things dont go right from start ... we deserve not to play CL with people like these after all ...

Last edited:

Well it all makes sense now. FSG had no choice but to sack Dalglish/Comolli after their bungling of the transfer funds. And in the summer with the limited budget and the selling required, there was no way on earth any top-class manager would come here. Which is why FSG were looking at Martinez and Rodgers. They are both bright and good potential managers but both also are used to working with tight resources.

Thank you Dalglish, Comolli for setting us back for a few seasons now.

It will be a miracle if Rodgers even gets us in the top-6.
Suarez, Borini, Morgan are our 3 recognized strikers. I would think we need to throw Gerrard up front.
Or get the young guy Yezil.

Hopefully we can loan someone in January.
Otherwise the only hope is that Carroll does so well for West Ham, that they avoid relegation and we get 17m for him, and next summer we may be able to buy 1-2 strikers.

Last edited:

3-4m offer for 19-goal Dempsey??

No offense to you guys but him going to Spurs serves right whoever is in charge of your transfer deals. He/they should be sacked.

So Dempsey joined Tottenham for £6m, I wonder how much was our rejected offer? I'm still shocked we didn't sign anyone there were so many departures and I thought there would be at least 3 new signings.

I can't see us finishing above spurs and with Chelsea, City and United who are very likely to finish in the top 3 we can say bye bye to CL.
Even our Europa league draw seems to be a tough one this time, this season seems to be one of the worst in the recent years.

So Dempsey joined Tottenham for £6m, I wonder how much was our rejected offer? I'm still shocked we didn't sign anyone there were so many departures and I thought there would be at least 3 new signings.

I can't see us finishing above spurs and with Chelsea, City and United who are very likely to finish in the top 3 we can say bye bye to CL.
Even our Europa league draw seems to be a tough one this time, this season seems to be one of the worst in the recent years.

Only hope that this means less pressure on the team/manager,and given that we have a new manager and new system in place, this will be the season where the wrongs of past seasons will need to corrected without the expectation of top-4. I think this is probably not such a bad thing. It gives Rodgers the chance to clear the deck with a true rebuilding effort.

Well it all makes sense now. FSG had no choice but to sack Dalglish/Comolli after their bungling of the transfer funds. And in the summer with the limited budget and the selling required, there was no way on earth any top-class manager would come here. Which is why FSG were looking at Martinez and Rodgers. They are both bright and good potential managers but both also are used to working with tight resources.

Thank you Dalglish, Comolli for setting us back for a few seasons now.

It will be a miracle if Rodgers even gets us in the top-6.
Suarez, Borini, Morgan are our 3 recognized strikers. I would think we need to throw Gerrard up front.
Or get the young guy Yezil.

Hopefully we can loan someone in January.
Otherwise the only hope is that Carroll does so well for West Ham, that they avoid relegation and we get 17m for him, and next summer we may be able to buy 1-2 strikers.
That is gone too. The first offer had a secure 17M trasnfer should West Ham stayed in PL. But the last offer they made and was accepted just has a 17 M buy clause, optative.

Well the only good thing he's done is getting rid of the deadwood, especially the signings of Dalglish and this is called rebuilding.
But then Rodgers said that the team is not complete and 2 signings were expected today, a striker to replace Carroll was a must and right now Rodgers doesn't have a plan B if Suarez and Borini misfire.

PS. After tonight I realized that we should break the bank to sign Falcao, probably the money we receive for Carroll could help us.

were fucked lol.... Ah well i remember when we won the league in from 1986-1990(i was 12) and weve all great memories of 2005 so we'll just have to go with the flow,the clubs been mismanaged for 20years and these owners wanted to change it but they made a terrible decision to hire Kenny , 100mil on shite and no champions league for 5 years, we might as well be aston villa or nottingham forest.... ( sorry ive been drinking )

were fucked lol.... Ah well i remember when we won the league in from 1986-1990(i was 12) and weve all great memories of 2005 so we'll just have to go with the flow,the clubs been mismanaged for 20years and these owners wanted to change it but they made a terrible decision to hire Kenny , 100mil on shite and no champions league for 5 years, we might as well be aston villa or nottingham forest.... ( sorry ive been drinking )

I don't think it will be that bad. The players need to get used to the system under Rodgers first of all, which in itself will take time. I just hope the media with all the Dalglish apologists don't start running over Rodgers when we're still mid-table by Christmas. If we can hang on till January, I think we may be able to get some loan deals.

Otherwise, we can still sign Michael Owen for a year, he is still a free agent and the transfer window does not apply to him :-)

Owen is not going to come back again mate, never.
This is a transitional year, Rodgers started the process of dismanteling the awful base he inherited from the dinosaur, but that is going to take more than just one window. The problem is that our biggest tumour is Andy Carroll and there is a question mark wether what is going to happen with him next season.
Reina
Johnson Coates Agger Jose Enrique
Gerrard Allen Sahin
Sterling Borini Suarez

Far from an impressive team but with a good manager and the right system things can happen.

ARTICLE that pretty much explains why we have no money:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...ol-fc-regime-100252-31739935/2/#ixzz25EIlGI85

+ transfer summary of summer transfer period 2012:
In:
Borini: £9m + £2.5m wages annually (£50k weekly).
Allen: £15m + £3m wages (£60k).
Sahin: £4m wages (£75k).
Assaidi: £3m + £1m wages (£20k).
Yesil: £1m + £0.75m wages (£15k).
= £39.25m, in fees and wages.

Out:
Carroll: £1.5m + £4.2m wages
Adam: £4m + £3m wages
Spearing: £2.5m wages
Kuyt: £1m + £4.2m wages
Maxi: £5m wages
Aquilani: £5m - £5m wage payoff.
Bellamy: £4.2m wages
Ecclestone: £1m wages
Aurelio: £3m
= £33.6m in fees and wages.

So... I make our net spend this window £5.6m, including wages. If you include, approximately £4m per year for Skrtel and Suarez new contracts. So a grand total of £9.6m.
Yes, there is a little supposition there, feel free to correct me, but I don't think it can be very wide of the mark. Rory Smith reckoned we are saving £450k a week on wages (£23.4m a year).

£9.6m net spend - including wages and contract extensions.

Last edited:

Tbh i cant say i mind the club not spending much this season. Brings expectations down. Just let them get on with developing the team with youth and see how far they get.

Heh, I saw that but I'm sure there's some daft rule that says he needed to be a free agent during the transfer window or something.

Well he was a free agent since the 1st of August according to Wikipedia, and I don't think there is a rule for free agents, just like Owen who said today in an interview that he's not worried about the situation and he'll find himself a new club.

Drogba could be an excellent addition until January, because I gotta feeling that one of Suarez or Borini will get injured very soon and we can't afford to play with Morgan upfront.

ARTICLE that pretty much explains why we have no money:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...ol-fc-regime-100252-31739935/2/#ixzz25EIlGI85

+ transfer summary of summer transfer period 2012:

If they include the net spend of the last 2 seasons, and then we can see the amount of money wasted, which I dont think FSG can afford to do every year.

It looks like Henderson refused to go to Fulham, otherwise we would have got Dempsey.
Well I guess Henderson will just be happy playing in the Europa and Cups for a while.

We just have to hope we don't get too many injuries this year. Players like Sterling, Morgan, Suso, Texiera may get more chances.

I still feel we have some goal threat from Borini and Assaidi, both of whom are new players and we need to give them a few months to get used to the new environment.

I think this is the season for Gerrard to step up closer to the attacking line and score goals. He has great finishing.
If he is injury-free and plays near the front-three, he can provide a good goal threat.

With a bit of luck, we should be not too bad.

Last edited:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/...-calling-the-shots-at-liverpool-football-club

That article follows numerous reports that FSG are now approaching people to replace Ian Ayre.

I guess we will find out soon. FSG are pretty quick in replacing people if things are not going right. Comolli was gone before the season even ended once it was clear that we would not make top-4 after spending so much money. And once the season was over FSG wasted no time in getting rid of Dalglish for his part in this debacle.

Back
Top Bottom