Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

But isnt Walcott a bit inconsistant like Downing is? That would worry me like.

Yep, that's where my Babel comment came from earlier. But his consistency isn't as bad as people make out.

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
15 - Theo Walcott has supplied 15 PL assists since Aug 2010; only four players (Nani, Silva, Young & RVP) have more in that period. Coveted.

Last season I think he scored 11 goals and 13 assists? Something like that.

Last season Theo Walcott actually had a very, very good season.
His problem is that he was selected for the 2006 WC when he was 16 years old. The Arsenal fans had Messi-like expectations for him (just like for Oxlade Chamberlain now) and those sky high expectations have often been the benchmark by which Walcott was judged.
Walcott is a very good EPL player, but not the superstar people expect him to be.

I think he would be a very good player for Liverpool (and for him it would be better if he could play for Liverpool than for City).

On the other hand, you have a player who is at least as good (although older) as Walcott: Joe Cole. I watch a lot of French football and the team i watch most often is Lille. He was great for them last season.

He is a good player, but you can't count on him. I think that is the biggest problem with Theo and one where neither the fans or the club hold him in the highest esteem. If you have a big game coming up, you just don't know what to expect from him.

He has a decent assist record (and goals to some extent) but he also had Van Persie putting them away as well.

I think he probably needs to move, if he supported Liverpool it will give him the extra lift and you will get some good performances out of him. But at the moment if you need him to step up in certain games, then it really is hit and miss with him.

He is a good player, but you can't count on him. I think that is the biggest problem with Theo and one where neither the fans or the club hold him in the highest esteem. If you have a big game coming up, you just don't know what to expect from him.

He has a decent assist record (and goals to some extent) but he also had Van Persie putting them away as well.

I think he probably needs to move, if he supported Liverpool it will give him the extra lift and you will get some good performances out of him. But at the moment if you need him to step up in certain games, then it really is hit and miss with him.

Liverpool's problem has been the "smaller" games, we don't have a problem facing the top teams. If Walcott can help us beat the lower teams then I'd be happy with that :)

Liverpool Echo reporting that the Sahin loan fee was €2m (£1.6m) and we've got first refusal on him next summer if he becomes available on a permanent transfer.

Theo is "consistent in patches" :LOL:

He actually said it. True story!

Did anyone read this? Downing is being told to become a left-back. Did'nt know whether to laugh or cry. That is one expensive left-back !!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/28/brendan-rodgers-stewart-downing-liverpool

Great link. Surprised not to see that story appearing in more places. I think it's a smart piece of management by Rogers. Downing is full of English "industriousness" but is found lacking in the final third of the pitch. However, he's done well in build up play, can play a nice long pass/cross on occasion, and he's hit quite a few nice shots from distance that have just whistled over or struck the post. If he has the right attitude, he could convert to a more defensive role just like Milner has done for Manchester City.

After hearing nothing but how much of a disappointment he's been so far as a winger, it may give Downing some hope and confidence to be told his manager thinks he'd be a top attacking defender. Defense is all about discipline and effort... We know Downing has effort, if he can learn the discipline he could give Liverpool a second (Glen Johnson being the first) quality attacking fullback.

Rodgers press conference now:

Lucas out for 2-3 months :(

Asked if he's a fan of Walcott, said nothing but a huge grin and a wink.

Rodgers "There are players who know where they stand and will need to make a decision if they want to be a squad player or if they want to go elsewhere if and play regularly." (seems to be in response to being asked about Charlie Adam)

Rodgers on new players coming in next couple of days "I don't think we will be that busy but there is still time."

Last edited by a moderator:

I can see Downing convert to a good left-back. He's got the attributes for it in my opinion as well as the discipline and tactical awareness.

Jose Enrique is better though, he just didn't have a very good first season much like Downing himself.

In regards to Theo, I'm not at all a fan. I don't rate him much but I would like to see him at Liverpool (The club he supposedly supports). I think he would add something 'fresh' just like Sterling to the mix and offer Liverpool some 'pace' down the channels.

Last edited:

Borini
Suarez - Walcott

Would be pretty decent.

Its OK but again lacks the same problem that none of them are reliable to put the ball in the net, unless one of them develops that it'll be good but lack that killer instinct.

But isnt Walcott a bit inconsistant like Downing is? That would worry me like.

I don't think Walcott is some world beater or anything but in comparison to Downing he is, has Downing scored or assisted in his Liverpool career yet?

Its OK but again lacks the same problem that none of them are reliable to put the ball in the net, unless one of them develops that it'll be good but lack that killer instinct.

I don't think Walcott is some world beater or anything but in comparison to Downing he is, has Downing scored or assisted in his Liverpool career yet?

He scored against Hearts a few weeks ago, nice goal too.

Gomel, that was it. I was just thinking that it couldn't have been Hearts as that was last week :D

Rodgers has so much more footballing and financial sense
Hopefully Rodgers will get rid of all the players we don't need, and make Liverpool a force to reckon with in the years to come.
You are completely right, he is a modern manager that understands how the business works, about contracts, budgets. We hadnt had a real manager for a long long time.

Adam and Spearing are leaving, which means we're getting Dempsey. According to some guy (James) on the Liverpool Echo who tweeted.

Walcott, only if Carroll is offloaded.

A bit of talk that we're close to signing a forward that will surprise people as he's not been mentioned by anyone yet.

Welcome back, Emile Heskey!

Heskey is past it now, but IMO he used to be a great player. Anybody old enough to remember Owen-Heskey? They were great but Owen got most credit for that...people were wrong, IMO Heskey was the better player...

Mentioning Heskey was a joke by the way, I've not got a clue who this mystery player is supposed to be.

Back
Top Bottom