Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Sterling and Allen were impressive today. Allen especially, I think he's one of my favorite players along with Suarez and Gerrard.
Apart from the gaffes in defense, the team played amazing and we dominated the champions.

Any updates on Lucas injury?? I hope he won't be ruled out for long this time.

Two costly mistakes, ditto.

We completely dominated City in the middle, Allen what a player
he is at times it was like watching Alonso the guy is very cool and
calm on the ball. He played some good penetrating forward passess
aswell.

The youngsters stepped up and played well Shelvey was well disciplined
throughout the game.

There is still a lack of confidence and awareness when playing it out from
the back that aspect of our game needs working on.

Fairly satisfied with the result considering other than the opening 25mins and the closing 10 we were well below par (partly because of the formation, which I'm not a fan of, imo).

Still fuming at the ref for the "handball", 2 times in a row that's happened to us at Anfield

Still, Anfield is always a tough place to go for the teams at the top end and, as I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't have been surprised had we lost today.

BTW, I like Allen and that Sterling looks like a decent prospect. Suarez is still an odious little rat. Good player but can't stand him.

Jimmy Rice ‏@JimmyRiceWriter
Rodgers: "I would hope we can get some more players in." #LFC

Dempsey and Sturridge would be the most obvious but it
would be a nice suprise to get a couple unexpected still
we need to shift a player or two aswell.

Man City looked awful in that 3 5 2 system, it helped LFC.

My issue with Liverpool is that you always play well and get up for the big games but how will you do against the smaller teams..the jury still out on that one.

Rodgers knows how to get team playing though great coach intelligent man.

First time I've seen the 'new' Pool. Pretty impressive, if rather idiotic with the two goals conceded.

Sterling looks an exciting prospect, but not sure he'll be at his best on the left side. Doesn't seem to like to cross with his weaker foot, I'd like to see him central or on the right.

Borini was pretty poor imo. Obviously new signing and all that, but had several chances to put the game away and screwed up at the crucial moment each time.

Kelly is not good enough for a top level club.

Allen was fantastic, but it was Shelvey who was doing all the 'hole plugging' which enabled Gerrard and Allen to play. Really good showing from Voldemort.

I think I've finally sussed who Suarez reminds me of in terms of overall contribution - a certain Dimitar Berbatov. Both players in their own way look absolutely world class, make the team look better, have moments of utter brilliance but when it comes down to taking the crucial chances that define matches, neither seems really able to do it. I know Suarez scored a blinder of a free kick today, but he really should be doing better with all the chances that fall his way. It's like he can only do things instinctively, and when it comes time to shoot, it all falls apart. Not convinced Borini is the answer to pick up the goal slack either....

Sturridge is just what you need up front. Can't see Chelsea letting him go tho unless they sign another forward.

But if you managed to get those two I could see you perhaps nipping in above Arsenal.

Very good performance. Mightily impressed by Sterling and Allen (but i am not surprised by him).
Pipa, i will stay polite and don't haunt you with your post after Skrtel's goal.

Oh and: sell Gerrard, he's had a very good Euro, there must be some teams who still want him. It's a mystery to me how he could be so good with England and so average with Liverpool (and this for at least 15 matches).

All in all Liverpool were the better team and should have won.

Back from the match and had really good seats, could see everything

Really impressed with sterling, the buzz around the ground when he picked the ball up. Should of had a few free kicks it looked like

Allen, looked very comfortable and reminds me of a little alonso

Gutted for Lucas, hope it isn't serious?

Was I the only one who thought the ref was shocking?

Should we of had a penalty?

Suarez, seems to snatch at his shots

Boroni does not look dangerous but is a kind of kuyt, worker

I thought we should of moved saurez to the wing and carroll up top much earlier, was crying out for it

I parked next to Phil Thompson and he spoke for about a minute seems a nice guy.

i somehow expect something unexpected like Assaidi :D

i believe the moves out will be Spearing to Bolton, Wilson on loan somewhere..i don´t say Adam will go for 100% becouse i´m not sure he will....Cole is impossible to sell him to another club sadly...becouse of his sallary..

Pipa, i will stay polite and don't haunt you with your post after Skrtel's goal.

All in all Liverpool were the better team and should have won.

my reaction was straight how i felt...he made one mistake that cost us the game...otherwise he was perfect.

I think Gerrard had a good game today, but if Sahin comes, i don´t know what Rodgers will do with him (SG)..becouse i think of Lucas-Allen-Sahin as perfect example of three man midfield for Rodgers system...Gerrard will either play above them in free attacking role, or wont play if all those 3 players will be fit....wich remindes me, hopefully Lucas is not injured for long time :(

Last edited:

great goal by that "average" defender... LMAO.

1272535664_roman-abramovich-is-happy.gif

Good game, we played well at times the passing was superb and you can see what Rodgers is trying. Bad mistakes to give the goals away bcos City were not at their best. Joe Allen is a superb player, and I think 15m was not money wasted. I can see now why Rodgers is spending so much money and effort in signing players like Allen and now Sahin. If we get control of midfield, then we will rarely lose games. Sterling was bright and good at times, he will get even better. Borini I think was a bit nervous, but I think he will also do well as time goes on.

Interesting that Lucas went out, and Henderson did'nt get a chance.
Shelvey was good at times, and I like his play. Gerrard was ok at times. Suarez was at times trying too hard, and his finishing again is a problem, apart from the free-kick.

I think it's going to be hard for Henderson and Downing. Also Joe Cole and Adam. Some of them may be gone soon.

Good on ya Rodgers for dropping Carragher, Downing.
I think he will get us really gelling in a few months.

my reaction was straight how i felt...he made one mistake that cost us the game...otherwise he was perfect.

2 mistakes, Pipa. The first was his mistake as well. It was going straight to Reina and he nudged it away then bouncing off Kelly.

He really needs to work on his concentration more. He could be a much better defender if he can improve on that. He reminds me a lot of David James. Great saves then a killer mistake.

2 mistakes, Pipa. The first was his mistake as well. It was going straight to Reina and he nudged it away then bouncing off Kelly.

He really needs to work on his concentration more. He could be a much better defender if he can improve on that. He reminds me a lot of David James. Great saves then a killer mistake.

Looking at the first City goal, it was Gerrard comes running out
and misplaces a pass to a city player and 10 seconds later it's a goal.

So it's not all Skrtel's fault.

Well to be fair to Skrtel and Liverpool in FourFourTwo's season preview they were talking about the fantastic offensive play and the goals galore last season. In the article they said the reason was that the standard of defending is going down and that the EPL only has 3 worldclass CB's: Vidic, Kompany and Skrtel.

The downside is that it was Alan Shearer who made that claim, but maybe i'm wrong about Skrtel.

Is it just me or I'm fed up with these so called players with messages in their inner shirt after every goal?

Looking at the first City goal, it was Gerrard comes running out
and misplaces a pass to a city player and 10 seconds later it's a goal.

So it's not all Skrtel's fault.

Well yea. All players do mistakes. None is perfect. But there is a difference between mistakes and killer mistakes. Ones that are almost match deciders.

The mistakes that are costing us are because of rogers philosophy. Nothing wrong with him wantingto keep the ball and play out of defence but the player needs to know if it is the right time to lump it or not.

It happened to carragher who is forced to play different to his hit long and play safe mentality, I.e keep it away from the back four but unfortunately he is too old to adapt.

Skrtl will adapt and I think once he does, and with agger who can also play this way already, along with johnson and Enrique who are both good on the ball, it will be fine.

I think we will do well tis year, need to be more concerned with our clinical finshing to take our chances to take the pressure from the game

Skrtel is never world class.

He was best player in a team that finished 8th last season.

He is good defender and works hard but he is not in same class as Kompany or Vidic.

But I would be more worried about attack if I was Liverpool fan. Not enough chances being put away still - are you looking at striker to bring in? I really dont rate Borini and Suarez wont score enough.

For the love of good Gerrard doesn't it this new style! Yesterday he seemed intent on smashing 30 yard passes all over the place, it won't fit in the long run and with the passes he played he seemed to only find Man C players or a player who had no support what so ever because every other player had dropped short to play the passing game Rodgers wants!
Nothing against Gerrard I just think Liverpool are no longer the club for him, he wants to be Captain Marvel with long passing and his long shots (which were awful yesterday!) but if anything he will hinder te club in the future.. Just my opinion.

You are right Taylor he isnt a clever player in the mould of a Modric or Scholes who would both fit in perfect in Rodgers system.

Maybe Liverpool and Man Utd should swap players :D

Who said he can't adapt to this style?

As like Carroll, people tend to brush him off being too stubborn to change, and for Gerrard too old and cannot fit in. Please, these are intelligent players and Gerrard being captain he'll certainly settle in. It won't click right away, so you'll get to see these comments.

Can't you see when Carroll comes in the play changes to a more direct play? We need different style of players to change the game when passing isn't working (which certainly will happen). I was glad he stayed on because he's the best substitute (for now) that we got 'till next summer surely.

I know Gerrard is an icon to Liverpool fans, but the last two seasons i've watched Liverpool very often (entire matches) and i can't say that Gerrard played 7 good matches (and i mean matches like he played for England at the last Euro's, there he was a revelation for me, really good). I have nothing against Gerrard but i have the distinct feeling that he is past it for Liverpool.
Besides that there is something different. Rodgers wants a different playing style, a style that doesn't suit Carragher and Gerrard, both club monuments...i see quite a lot of parallels with AVB, Chelsea, Lampard, Terry and other older Chelsea icons...
My conclusion: if Liverpool want to give a chance to Rodgers, sell both Carragher and Gerrard or make them an offer for a new job at the club. Otherwise it will end in tears (just like it ended in tears with that other club icon Dalglish, who still deserves a prverbial statue for what he did as a player).

Gerrard game was always about pace and power...he is explosive player and Benitez got best out of him playing Gerrard in the 'hole' behind Torres.

Gerrard has lost the pace and isn't a Modric/Xavi/Scholes type centre midfielder...thats why he charges all over the pitch instead of being patient and sitting in there with clever passes like Allen did yesterday.

Like most England midfielders Gerrard has been trained to go hell for leather to get the ball in the net, where as the "new generation" are slowly learning that there is 90 minutes in a game and they can take as long as they want to get the ball in the net.

Gerrard can do a job at one of the clubs chasing the top four, but not one like Liverpool who I believe can challenge for the title once they settle into Rodgers game plan and the new players gel, Sahin deal will be a gift and curse; he's an exceptional talent who will step your game up, however he will be gone at te end of season and if he happens to be your best midfielder this year you will struggle to find a replacement worth filling his slot, but that's all subject to if he finds his form or not.

Like most England midfielders Gerrard has been trained to go hell for leather to get the ball in the net, where as the "new generation" are slowly learning that there is 90 minutes in a game and they can take as long as they want to get the ball in the net.

Gerrard can do a job at one of the clubs chasing the top four, but not one like Liverpool who I believe can challenge for the title once they settle into Rodgers game plan and the new players gel, Sahin deal will be a gift and curse; he's an exceptional talent who will step your game up, however he will be gone at te end of season and if he happens to be your best midfielder this year you will struggle to find a replacement worth filling his slot, but that's all subject to if he finds his form or not.

Gerrard is not the purist's footballer is he? He won't fit into the midfield trio of Lucas/Allen/Sahin.
I feel he may not do too bad on the right side of attack, that may be the only place he can play. But that means either Borini or Sterling will have to sit out. Gerrard will not be sold either. Can't see him being moved upstairs. So it seems Rodgers will slowly but surely find a way to either make him adapt.

Regarding Sahin, yeah that sucks when he leaves. But hopefully he will have us improve and we can have the full summer to find some decent players. I'm sure there are good players out there. Look how Newcastle fared in the market.

I agree with some that once Sahin, Lucas, and Allen are all available, they will be the starting center midfield trio. But I don't see Gerrard not being in that group as a problem, I see it as a benefit. Get him closer to goal, playing off the forward as he did in his (and the team's) best statistical season of late.

Sterling can play the wide attacking role, and Gerrard can play the wide attacker that drifts inside. Also, less need to spend money on a player like Dempsey, when now you've freed up Gerrard for the role.

If that trio stays healthy, I think Liverpool's midfield is one of the strongest in the league. And if the goals come from Gerrard and Suarez, I think Liverpool will have a potent attack. Liverpool's main problem right now, is central defense. Seemingly, Liverpool's best defender for Rogers' system is Agger... but Agger has never been able to secure the role of the bedrock of the defense over the last few season for various ailments, so it's hard to bet on it suddenly happening this season. Skertl, Carragher, Kelly and Coates all have their strengths and weaknesses, and the hope is that (maybe not so much with Carragher at this point) through training, they develop the on-the-ball awareness demanded of them by Rogers. I think that until they do, we will continue to see mistakes in possession that will lead to opposition goals. It's going to be a tough growing process... but ultimately worth it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom