Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

I think we should sign Nuri Sahin asap before Tottenham jumps in.
I'd get him before Joe Allen any day of the week.

I don't see the hype of Joe Allen tbh, maybe I'm missing something but in the team GB he was third best IMO behind Cleverley and Ramsey.
Sahin over Allen any day.

Allen's stats over the past season were impressive. He completed more passes than Xavi and his ratio of good passes was better than Xavi's. That is fantastic.

Never judge a player by a big tournament, that is the mistake lots of clubs make after a big tournament. You gotta look at his performances with his team.

But Cleverley is also an impressive player.

Quotes from today's press conference.

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
Brendan Rodgers confirms there was genuine interest from other clubs in Luis Suarez. 'I saw the fax come in.'

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
Rodgers confirms #LFC have been in talks with Craig Bellamy and Cardiff about him returning to Wales.

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
Rodgers on Agger: 'Every player has his price. Daniel is a top player, loves the club. But you can never say never.'

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
Brendan Rodgers: 'the intention is to bring in a few more players. I'd love them to be here sooner rather than later.'

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
Brendan Rodgers: 'to walk out at Anfield for my first game will be an incredible privilege, but my focus will be to win.'

Sounds like Agger is on his way then. Some rumours that we've bumped his value up to £20m and now Barca have been put off and now looking at Song from Arsenal. Also rumours that we're in contract talks with Agger over a new deal.

Still waiting to see who we bring in. Our squad wasn't amazing anyway beforehand but now we've sold/selling Aquilani, Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy. And just Borini has been brought in.

Last edited by a moderator:

i read somewhere we will buy 4 new players and get two more on loan for us.. not sure how many we will loan out..

Allen would be great..i like his performance at Olympics from what i saw...he is very inteligent player..

about the loans in - Tello from Barcelona should be one of them...

about the signings in - We are interested in Joe Allen, Theo Walcott and now apparently also Nuri Sahin..Dempsey is on going with Adam used as a makeweight..

could be true but i don´t think this would be a factor for him to sign..it´s all about money + with the latest transfers for Arsenal, he might not play as much as he would want.. i would be happy with him in our team but depends on how much he earns... i think our owners want to give best deals to certain performers and starters most of all..

Tony Barrett saying we've met Joe Allen's £15m release clause and also turned down a £20m bid from Man City for Agger. We've told them we'd want £27m.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd take £20m for him if there's suitable replacements available. As good as Agger is, he's very injury prone and only going to decrease in value.

I'd take £20m for him if there's suitable replacements available. As good as Agger is, he's very injury prone and only going to decrease in value.

This, without a doubt. He's barely ever managed half a season, much less be worth that kind of money.

i read somewhere we will buy 4 new players and get two more on loan for us.. not sure how many we will loan out..

Allen would be great..i like his performance at Olympics from what i saw...he is very inteligent player..
Have you ever qualified a Liverpool signing different than great/fantastic/amazing ?

Agreed, 20m would be a good return. Did'nt he cost under 10m ? I'm sure we can get a decent defender for 10m.

But we need to make signings soon, I don't like the way the Carroll thing has been played out. Is he going or staying?

Have you ever qualified a Liverpool signing different than great/fantastic/amazing ?

First of all, i don´t talk about players we sign as fantastic or awfull untill i see them play for us to make a judgement, so no.

Second of all, Allen is not our signing (yet) and i didn´t said this "great/fantastic/amazing" about him, but to answer your question, i don´t label players that way especialy not those that i didn´t saw playing a lot before they can join us like for example Gaston Ramirez and perhaps others i realy don´t know anyithing about..

And to end it, why do you care?! i said what i think about Allen and i would think it even if he played for Real Madrid next season for all i care.. i followed him in Olympics with close look especially becouse i knew he is our target and almost everything went through him...he played all matches as starter and for his age he is realy one of the best midfielder in the Premier League..he has great first touch, great vision and inteligence combined with movement so i´m happy we are linked but if we are linked with someone i don´t like, i say it... i have no problem with that...so far i didn´t hate any of our suposed targets so ..

Last edited:

Think we could do better than Agger for the prices being banded about.

If he wasn't injury prone fair enough but his appearance stats don't make for happy reading.

i realy hope he will stay.

So do i, i want Allen to say at Swansea... :COOL:

Sorry, i couldn't resist. I know it's a lame joke...

Liverbird, like i already said, i'm with pipa on this. He's not always the most objective, but Allen is IMO one of the most underrated players in the EPL. I honestly don't understand why he wasn't even nominated as a player of the year...he was absolutely outstanding last year and this in a team that was far from a big team.

I would even say that not a single Liverpool player came anuway near being as good as Allen last season.

Not sure how he's excited by Downing...hopefully he will come good this year.
Gerrard may be the attacking midfielder just behind the front-three
with Lucas and Allen in central midfield..

That would be a pretty decent lineup.

Downing like Gervinho and many others who underachieved in their first season at new clubs will do better this year. I'm quite confident of that.

Why Liverpool scouts can't look for players outside UK?
Let's take Malaga as an example. They are cleaning the house due to financial problems, we could get Cazorla or Rondon but we didn't make a move so they went elsewhere.
Cazorla is the marquee signing for Arsenal this season, he might even turn out to be the best signing in EPL this summer better than Hazard or Kagawa.

I hope we will sign someone who will match the qualities of Cazorla or Hazard then it'll be game on, we could even challenge for the title with a little bit of luck.

Let's take Malaga as an example. They are cleaning the house due to financial problems, we could get Cazorla or Rondon but we didn't make a move so they went elsewhere.
Cazorla is the marquee signing for Arsenal this season, he might even turn out to be the best signing in EPL this summer better than Hazard or Kagawa.

I hope we will sign someone who will match the qualities of Cazorla or Hazard then it'll be game on, we could even challenge for the title with a little bit of luck.

Rodgers has already said he's looking at a couple of players who we might get on loan from Europe.

And again, we're not in the CL so we're not a big draw for the likes of Cazorla or Hazard.

The club is definetly looking on different players to fit our system and wage structure...but it´s difficult to get top superstars to play for non-CL team... So far we got rid of players who earned a lot and were not playing much or were older and now i believe we are in stage of renewing contract with the core players to bind them for more seasons and after that we can add to the core... i believe we can expect more moves in and out in coming weeks...it´s necessary tbh..

As for the players, i´m confident we won´t overpay, we could get Sigurdsson, but we refused to play higher wages than he is worth (according to the coach who made him famous in PL). At the same time we give a signal to potential buyers of our current players that they have a price..

i think so far everything is ok with our transfers, our young players will play more this season i believe... i expect Coates to play more as well as Kelly and obviously Shelvey...depends on the situation with Allen and Adam..

I'm pretty confident that Liverpool still can attract very good players (like Kagawa, Hazard and Cazorla: players that have everything to become superstars, but aren't superstars yet) by the name and the reputation of the club alone.

The Modric transfer might be the key to a lot transfer activity in Europe. If a big team gives lots of money for a player, that could start transfer activity up , especially in the UK. Spurs have money to spend then and they could buy players from other English clubs and than that club has money (best example, or perhaps worst from Liverpool's point of view is the Carroll transfer which was a big boost for Newcastle). The art in transferring is to go for players that aren't that well know but who will be very good and that is what Newcastle did last season: Ba, Papis Cissé, Cabaye, Santon: not a single well known player (Santon maybe, but he already seemed an has been), but they all turned out to be class acts (just like Ben Arfa).
That is the type of player Liverpool should go for. If Newcastle can attract these players, then Liverpool even more...

Isco £5m Tello £5m there so many attacking players out there. Spanish side is on sale and Pool has a few Spaniards.

Rodgers said just now Agger is in his plans...

Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, Gerrard, Lucas, Shelvey, Downing, Borini, Suarez.

amazing team, 700th game for Carragher celebration, Borini home debut, Lucas first home game after his injury, Rodgers home debut..

just hope we will win !!

Back
Top Bottom