Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Rodgers signed with the reds to take over all the transfers, the owners liking Dempsey has nothing to do with the fact they want to go for him while Rodgers doesn´t...in fact Rodgers want this player becouse he rates him, not becouse owners want him and definetly not becouse of his nationality..

he said in his interview that he doesn´t care about the nationality of his players as long as they get the value of this club and work with him thinking of this values..

watch more interviews...

Nobody said Rodgers doesn't want him and the owners do. We said Rodgers DOES want him and would buy him ANYWAY regardless of nationality, but yes the added bonus that he's American just like the owners makes him even more attractive. That's all. :)

If he was from another nationality, Rodgers and owners would still try to get him just because he's a quality player. Nobody's denying that.

EDIT: that "more shirts sold when buying Dempsey" situation is ridicilous, did Everton sold more shirts in US when Donovan played there? i don´t think so.. Soccer in US is popular, but if we realy wanted to sell shirts we go for an asian, player from India or Malaysia etc... or someone like Dong Fangzhuo if you know what i mean ...

Not ridiculous at all Pipa. It's a valid point. You've misunderstood and jumped to conclusions. Nobody here said Dempsey is a Dong Fangzhuo and being bought to sell T-shirts.

We simply said that having him has other 'benefits' as well which is only a good thing :) and nothing to take away from Clint's ability as a footballer.

No offense, but in my opinion, the ridiculous example is comparing him to London Donovan who signed on LOAN for a short 3 months for Everton! Very few people are gonna go and dish out $100 for a jersey knowing it's only a f'n LOAN and soon to be over! Not even a full season or half season loan but a short 2-3 month stint.

And Liverpool's 'brand' is a lot more popular worldwide than Everton's and so Dempsey SIGNING for them with 2-3 year contract will make a LOT more noise than Donovan signing a short loan contract for 2-3 months. There's a CLEAR difference there and that's why Clint's move might just make the game even more popular back home and prompt even more shirt sales.

Again, let's be clear, they're not getting Dempsey TO SELL shirts or boost back home. He's simply a good player who they would buy regardless of nationality. But if the owners who are American see a great American player who can also boost the club's American fanbase and identity while providing quality on the pitch, then why not? I don't see anything wrong with that. It's simply a bonus.

i know what you saying, but i know for myself if i would buy a shirt with players name, i wouldn´t buy Skrtel just becouse he is from my country..only player i would think of buying with name is either Gerrard or Lucas right now...

i think people around the world will buy Liverpool´s shirts despite their players not even playing for LFC.. i realy don´t think americans will start to buy only Dempsey shirts once he moves...i also don´t think the US market is so big in terms of soccer, not biger than asia certainly..

it could help if we sing best American player atm for us to be more attractive to US audience..but i think it´s not significant as you think it is :) LFC is a major brand all over the world no matter what players wear the shirts, at least i think so...

Last edited:

Asia is huge. US isn't as big but growing. What's the point though? we both agree that Dempsey isn't being 'bought' to sell shirts so what's the point of these comparisons? Why bring Asia into this?

And let me tell you, I'm the same way as you when it comes to buying shirts but you and I are in the absolute minority. The average (Casual) fan is nothing like us! And so although De3uce (Dempsey's name as a rapper) isn't the most popular player even in America (Some people actually dislike him because of his attitude and he gets some unfair criticism in my opinion), you can bet a lot of American fans who were gonna buy Liverpool jersey are now gonna get it with HIS name on the back. And again this is a minor point and not really important. It's only a 'bonus' at best and not the REASON he's being bought.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

I think (he will correct me if I'm wrong), he meant that since Liverpool's owners (Fenway Sports - John Henry and co.) are Americans, they are EVEN more attracted to Clint Dempsey than maybe Daniel Levy would be for example. Not that, they wouldn't be if he wasn't American or that he can't cut it, etc.

Just that, because they are also Americans, his acquisition would probably please them even more than another player of the same calibre who wasn't American and that of course his capture can be good for merchandise/popularity of the game back home in US since a Top US National team player now plays for arguably one of the biggest clubs in the world.

So I think he didn't mean it in a bad way or to question Clint's ability which would be unwise, but just saying that they are especially keen to get him because not ONLY is he a quality player but that's a compatriot as well and can give Liverpool a more American identity and possibly bring them more American fans and hence more sales, etc.

Can't say I disagree IF that's what he meant. Of course I'd buy Clint Dempsey to play for my team whether he was American, Arab or Chinese. He's just a quality player.

Exactly, I'm a huge Dempsey fan and really hope he does sign with a 'big' club as he is both talented and driven. The FSG's ability to then also market him as the best American in Europe seems to make him a good fit.

Dempsey is a very gutsy player, he is exactly the type of personality we need on the pitch, not to mention the goals.
We have lost Maxi and Kuyt who scored a fair share of goals under Dalglish, actually more than any of Henderson/Downing/Adam/Carroll combined I would think. So we desperately need good goalscoring midfielders like Dempsey, especially given the system played by Rodgers, where the front-3 will be fluid.

John Henry vows not to put pressure on Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers

Liverpool principal owner John Henry is being realistic in his expectations of new manager Brendan Rodgers and will not set him a target of Champions League qualification.

This time last year Henry, as lead figure for owners Fenway Sports Group, told then manager Kenny Dalglish the requirement was a top-four finish.

So despite winning the club's first trophy for six years with victory over Cardiff in the Carling Cup - and being runners-up in the FA Cup - an eighth-place finish 17 points adrift of Tottenham cost the Scot his job.

No such demands will be put on Rodgers, at least not so early in his reign having moved from Swansea early last month.

"We don't want to put any pressure on Brendan by saying you have got to make the Champions League this year," said Henry, who has seen the squad close up this week as they have been in Boston preparing for their pre-season tour of the United States.

"Of course he wants to make the Champions League, we all do and so does every team in the Premier League.

"I thought it was realistic last season but we were so far off that pace.

"At this point we're just trying to get things stabilised - that should be one of our goals."

Rodgers is the third manager since FSG, owners of Boston Red Sox baseball franchise, took over in October 2010.

They inherited Roy Hodgson from the previous regime but dispensed with him within three months and brought in Dalglish initially to stabilise the club and then ended up giving him a three-year contract of which he lasted 12 months.

Henry admits they have had to get up to speed with their first foray into football.

"We know more now than we did when we bought the club," Henry told the Liverpool Echo.

"We didn't know a lot at the start. We have had something like 20 months to study and learn and this is really the direction we want to go in.

"We are working on a long-term programme and we are fully committed to this programme. It will be the kind of football we want to play.

"Brendan has a very structured approach and he plays the kind of football that we think Liverpool fans will love to see.

"You can see why he was appointed. He's an inspirational figure.

"He's very charismatic, he's smart, he knows what he wants to accomplish and he's determined to accomplish it.

"Everything I have heard so far in the way of feedback about him has been very positive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...iverpool-manager-brendan-rodgers-7962085.html

Rodgers signed with the reds to take over all the transfers, the owners liking Dempsey has nothing to do with the fact they want to go for him while Rodgers doesn´t...in fact Rodgers want this player becouse he rates him, not becouse owners want him and definetly not becouse of his nationality..

he said in his interview that he doesn´t care about the nationality of his players as long as they get the value of this club and work with him thinking of this values..

watch more interviews...

EDIT: that "more shirts sold when buying Dempsey" situation is ridicilous, did Everton sold more shirts in US when Donovan played there? i don´t think so.. Soccer in US is popular, but if we realy wanted to sell shirts we go for an asian, player from India or Malaysia etc... or someone like Dong Fangzhuo if you know what i mean ...
You should stop believing everything you read in an interview, none is honest in an interview.
And of course the fact that he is american is a plus for the owners ... you have a big market to be exployed there, cant understand how you dont see that.

You should stop believing everything you read in an interview, none is honest in an interview.
And of course the fact that he is american is a plus for the owners ... you have a big market to be exployed there, cant understand how you dont see that.

i don´t have to stop believing interviews, Rodgers agreed to become a coach but without a Director of football, do you think he would be happy if the owners wanted Dempsey and he didn´t...if he want´s Dempsey, he want´s him becouse his footbll quality and i don´t deny his purchase would maybe make us more attractive to the fans in US, but the reason we buy him has nothing to do with the owners wanting him to play here without Rodgers agreeing, he didn´t signed for being adviced, he want´s to take care himself of all the transfers alone..

btw:

Rory Smith, The Times

-

"Fulham could ask Liverpool to include Charlie Adam, the Scotland midfielder, as a makeweight in a deal for
Clint Dempsey. The American is keen to leave Craven Cottage and Brendan Rodgers, the Liverpool manager, has confirmed his interest in the 29-year-old. Rodgers is also thought to be closing in on Joe Allen, of Swansea City. Fulham are also keen on Nigel Reo-Coker."

He also said he respected Swansea too much to attempt to sign their players, how long did that last?

He also said he respected Swansea too much to attempt to sign their players, how long did that last?

Sigurdsson was Hoffenheim player and all Rodgers did was agree he would welcome him at Liverpool if there was a posibility to make him move there..

There never was any quotes from Rodgers about Allen (remind me if i´m wrong) and obviously Swansea deal with us is that if other teams make bid, we can make bid as well or if i remember well, if the player make transfer request, he will be allowed to move by Swansea for the right price...

but i´m not sure about that 100%

i don´t have to stop believing interviews, Rodgers agreed to become a coach but without a Director of football, do you think he would be happy if the owners wanted Dempsey and he didn´t...if he want´s Dempsey, he want´s him becouse his footbll quality and i don´t deny his purchase would maybe make us more attractive to the fans in US, but the reason we buy him has nothing to do with the owners wanting him to play here without Rodgers agreeing, he didn´t signed for being adviced, he want´s to take care himself of all the transfers alone..

btw:

Pipa, with who are you having this discussion that its the owners behind the Dempsey transfer?! I dont think anybody has said that and the only element about Dempsey is that he might help Liverpools fanbase in The States. Other than that there hasnt been anything about him being forced into the club, only buying him for shirt sales or anything else like that. Yet all your posts have been written as if someone is attacking the Dempsey transfer as a negative...when I think nearly everyone thinks he would be a good signing.

for what i know mate there has been only rumours we sign him..it´s taken as granted we do right now,but i wouldn´t be so sure untill i see him here..

Swansea City boss Laudrup planning for life after Liverpool FC target Joe Allen

Michael Laudrup says he won’t force Joe Allen to stay at Swansea City – and admits he’s preparing for life without the Liverpool target.

The Swansea manager insists there is no point making Allen stay at Swansea if the midfielder decides he wants to leave.

Liverpool are reportedly ready to bid up to £15m for the highly-rated midfielder, who is currently away on Olympics duty with Team GB.

But Allen is only one year into a four-year contract he signed with Swansea last August and the club are under no obligation to sell the 22-year-old.

Last summer Tottenham Hotspur rejected a £40m bid from Chelsea for Croatian playmaker Luka Modric despite the player asking to leave and he ended up staying with Spurs.

But Swans boss Laudrup says he wouldn’t stand in a player’s way, insisting: “You can force players to stay but how does that help? It’s better to find a solution that suits both parties.

“I know you can say that you have players under contract, but we all know how football works.

“We just have to wait and see if an offer comes and then what will happen.

“It’s one that we will have to talk to the player and that is the most important thing.

“We can’t just say we will do it or we won’t.

“It doesn’t make sense to have a player who wants to go. It doesn’t make sense to try and sell a player who wants to stay.

“The most important thing is to talk to the player.”

Laudrup insisted there had still been no contact from Liverpool or any other club regarding Allen or any other of this players.

Former Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted he would like to take Allen to Liverpool if the Wales international became available but he is yet to take his interest any further.

There is an agreement between Rodgers and Swansea preventing the manager bidding for any of his old players, but there are a number of ways around the clause.

Swansea have the option to disregard the agreement if a sizeable offer comes in and Rodgers can bid for any Swansea player once other clubs have made offers and the player has expressed a desire to leave.

The heavy speculation suggests it’s a matter of when, not if, Liverpool will make a move for Allen and Laudrup revealed he has a contingency plan in place.

“You always have to be one step ahead so we have to be preparing for everything,” said Laudrup.

“It’s not only in this (Allen’s) case, but each position in the team.

“When the window closes on August 31, you then look ahead to January 1.

“You have to think about the present as well as the future which will be the winter window.

“I am in contact with the chairman every day. We agree that if there will be an approach then we will have to talk to the player.

“We can’t just answer 100% yes or no without talking to the player.

“It’s a problem because he has to concentrate on the Olympics. We will have to deal with that if and when it comes to that.”

Laudrup also denied Swansea had made an offer for Bolton Wanderers midfielder Mark Davies after reports surfaced on Wednesday that the club were in talks with the 24-year-old.

He added: “We have made no approach for Mark Davies. He’s a good player, but it is just rumours.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footba...arget-joe-allen-91466-31440073/#ixzz21Gh2j9Ht

Liverpool: Jones, Enrique, Sama, Carragher, Wisdom, Spearing, Aquilani, Adam, Ibe, Eccleston, Pacheco.

Second-half team: Gulacsi, Flanagan, Skrtel, Wilson, Robinson, Adorjan, Shelvey, Suso, Cole, Sterling, Morgan.

Subs: Lucas, Smith, Ward, McLaughlin.

I92sB.png

Impressed with Pacheco and Ibe, not so much with Eccleston and Adam.

Passing looks improved with a lot more 2-touch passing and getting into space. Something that was a problem for a lot of last season was players just not moving for the ball so maybe Rodgers has drilled that into some of them. Or maybe Toronto just aren't defending as tight as PL teams tend to.

Charlie fucking Adam

Oh fucking dear.....

He is that desperate to get the ball he runs past our back 4, his corners are shit too

Spearing running the midfield

Pacheco reminds me of maxi, that's a good thing

Back
Top Bottom