Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Excited to see Aquilani and Borini at Liverpool!

Alberto will be like a new signing too!

The only reason I could think Rodgers would sell Aquillani is if you had signed Sigurdsson, now Alberto will be the Playmaker for you next year, if Rodgers plays the same system he did at Swansea (which he looks to be building toward) your midfield will likely be Gerrard and Lucas behind Aquillani..

I dont think he is going to stay mate. Probably going to end in Fenerbahçe or something like that..

Maybe. Nobody knows what will happen but so far his agent has said that he has 2 years of contract left at Liverpool and he's going to play at Anfield this season. :)

Of course these things don't mean much and everything changes in an instant in football.

But I'm looking forward to seeing Alberto and Borini combine with Liverpool's existing players like Suarez, Lucas and Gerrard to play under Rodgers' leadership. It should be interesting.

If he does stay, I just hope he doesn't f'n go down with an injury in the FIRST game! Unfortunately I can see that happening. :( setting his Liverpool career even further back and perhaps this time 'ending' it for good. All it takes is one mistimed injury!

Yes I think the failure to bring in Sigurdsson has helped make Aquilani a more important part of the team and hopefully Rodgers will keep him and get the best out of him. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I hope that, he is in my opinion the only player that we have that can actually be a playmaker from the start of the season. But I see Rodgers molding Henderson and Shelvey into that role.

I think it's better for Borini if Aquilani stays. You know, being very young and new in Liverpool (not England) and having another Italian might help him fit in quicker. Can say the same for Aquilani too.

I agree. It'd be nice for both of them.

I hope that, he is in my opinion the only player that we have that can actually be a playmaker from the start of the season. But I see Rodgers molding Henderson and Shelvey into that role.

I agree and hope Alberto gets his chance this year. I do also like both Shelvey and Henderson though and think they can both become very good players. So they are definitely good options as well. :)

I'd like to see all 3 used and rotated at different times depending on who's in form, etc. and of course there is always injuries, suspensions, numerous competitions so all 3 can get enough playing time.

It is so nice to see that we have'nt broke the bank
...but spent reasonably in signing Borini...

Just wish we had'nt spent so much last year...
hopefully we will sell Carroll and Downing...and Adam.

I think Aquilani would be superb in the playmaker role
behind the front three.....but he needs to be injury free..

Henderson has promise......like his one-touch passing....
he can maybe prove more threatening nearer the front-3
instead of in the middle where he always passes sideways...

Shelvey has a lot of potential...

Joe Cole should also be much better this season...

Excited about the season !

Borini seems a good transfer, young, already proved that he can score important goals, has heart and quality. Really strange sell from Roma, I watched a lot of Roma´s matches last season and he clearly was the best of their fowards. He is a very interesting prospect, and was bought at the right price.
10M that is what you pay for potential, not 35 ...

With the donkey Carroll out, Borini in and seeing the profile of players Rodgers likes, I cant wait for the start of this season. Havent been like these since 2009.

I think Roma ae after Mattia Destro, that's why Borini went.

I think it's better for Borini if Aquilani stays. You know, being very young and new in Liverpool (not England) and having another Italian might help him fit in quicker. Can say the same for Aquilani too.

I don´t think Borini needs Aquilani tbh, he is basicly English player...played from his youth in England, speaks english... he played less in Seria A than in English leagues.. i think he manage to adapt even without Alberto, but sure it helps to have his countryman in the club..

I think Roma ae after Mattia Destro, that's why Borini went.

also Roma have new coach in Zeman who is old school coach, i think once he knew Borini want´s to go, he didn´t wanted to hold on him as much as maybe Luis Enrique would...Destro is a different type of player and i hope Roma get him..

As for Aquilani, his future should be with us, even if we buy Dempsey... we need to add to our attack/wing position especially with Downing almost certain to go, Maxi gone, Bellamy and Carroll probably on their way as well...

It would be suicide to rely on Aquilani for a first 11 spot at this point IMO He should at best be considered an option.

Definetly, i think we need more depth..i don´t want another repeating of situation when we loose Lucas and we are f...ed for the whole season..

I seriously think Adam will stay, we need a squad depth..

I think we need a top class DM, then we could play with Lucas in midfield in more attacking position or same as Real Madrid does with Khedira and Alonso... the options for an "Ozil" would be Gerrard, Aquilani or perhaps Dempsey..even Suarez and Suso could play there eventually..

We definetly need a realy good DM or CM to this squad.. (Mvilla type...) + another wing or CF..

it could look like this next season:

----------------------------------------------- Reina/Doni/Gulacsi ----------------------------------------

Johnson/Kelly/Flanagan ------ Škrtel/Carra/Wilson ---------------- Agger/Coates/Wisdom ---- J. Enrique/Robinson

---------------- Lucas/Adam/Spearing -------- NEW CM/Henderson/Shelvey

-------------------- Gerrard/Aquilani/Suso

Borini/Cole/Pacheco -------------------------------- Suarez/Carroll --------------- Dempsey/Sterling​

out: Brad Jones, Stewart Downing, Craig Bellamy (?), Coady (loan)

top 3 of Borini, Dempsey and Suarez would be deadly, as they can play similar style to Barca top 3 players (Sanchez,Messi,Pedro) with switch sides and making it very hard for the oposite defence... if we could by Dempsey that is... or alternatvie a new CF with Suarez on left wing/second striker position...

that would be: :...

Last edited:

You're becoming more Arsenal than Arsenal - just 1 Englishman on the pitch :P

Johnson, Gerrard will probably start always, so that´s two englishmen...

English premier league is full of foreign players, so it´s not a surprise each team has few English players, except the teams that can allow themselfs to spend milions on overpriced home talent...

we did it with Carroll, ok...but let´s count how many times United bought like that or Chelsea, City....

let´s focus on the fact how much english players Liverpool try to buy now for their academy and for cheap...we are building for the future with the likes of Henderson, Shelvey, Sterling, Robinson, Flanagan, Wisdom who are all english + not to mention those 35 milions for Andy Carroll... :COAT:

No chance Borini is playing on a wing. Suarez is going back to the left wing, that ´s where his career started and Borini is going to be our cental foward. On the other wing Downing or maybe Dempsey.
Hopefully, donkey Carroll, the worst FW Ive ever seen with this jersey, as far away from Liverpool as we can.

Rodgers will play with a fluid front-3 who can keep interchanging ....a bit like Spain and Barca....so no chance Carroll will play for us ...considering that he is your typical no.9 player of yesterday's long-ball / punt / cross tactics....

I still feel Gerrard should be sold.....he does not keep the ball well enough and has the tendency to make hollywood passes...... so either he has to sit back deep in midfield and pass it....or be sold..
Rodgers will invite a backlash if he sells....so I guess Gerrard will be
deep in midfield with Lucas...

Adam....oh dear....he's another of those hollywood-ball/set-piece merchants...who should be replaced by someone more technical...

Henderson is probably the most sophisticated of our midfielders
along with Lucas and Aquilani......
So I think he has a bright future under Rodgers.

Liverpool are weakening themselves by holding too much sentiment in players like Carrager and Gerrard.. They both need moving on, along with Carroll and Downing.
Though the latter could improve vastly under Rodgers.

Also IMO you Liverpool fans over rate Henderson far too much, he has potential to improve, but don't expect him to improve much than the run of the mill premier league midfielder.

Liverpool are weakening themselves by holding too much sentiment in players like Carrager and Gerrard.. They both need moving on, along with Carroll and Downing.
Though the latter could improve vastly under Rodgers.

Let´s see the roles Rodgers will give them...

Carra won´t break Skrtel-Agger partnership and i bet he won´t be in order ahead of Coates once one of Skrtel or Agger will get injury..

Gerrard actually can have a better role in Rodgers team, but for that we need Lucas and another holding midfielder to back him up..

It would make sense to sell Gerrard now. He's had a very good EC and there will be clubs who want him. Maybe now he is still good enough, but clubs got to think in the long term. Liverpool can have a nice tranfer sum for him at the moment. So sell him.

Henderson is a starter, one of the most talented players in the squad.

I don't think so. How much would they be able to sell him for? Not all that much. Who would pay big bucks for a 32 year old who's past his best and also has had numerous injury problems recently? Not to mention he'll want big wages because of fame/reputation and that again makes him inaccessible for a lot of clubs.

He's a LOT more valuable to Liverpool than to any other team and while he once would've gone for BIG BUCKS, because of his age and declined ability, he no longer will.

He should and probably will finish his career at Liverpool. Club legends like that are rare these days and he will go down as one of LFC's greatest ever! He's certainly still good enough and has a lot to offer both on and off the pitch as a leader and symbol/icon for the club and to the younger players for a few more years still.

His fitness has never been a problem either as he's a top athlete and very professional. Injuries may be a problem on the other hand but that's with a lot of players.

Well let's agree to disagree then. To me him and Carragher smell of trouble (and you couldn't even blame them). I aslo think for them personally a new club would be a good thing.

Gerrard to Man City as bach-up for Touré...he deserves some silverware too...never got champion with Liverpool and could win that with City.

This would be a win-win-situation for both Gerrard and Liverpool: a big transfer fee for Liverpool, a chance for Silverware for Gerrard.

Well let's agree to disagree then. To me him and Carragher smell of trouble (and you couldn't even blame them). I aslo think for them personally a new club would be a good thing.

Gerrard to Man City as bach-up for Touré...he deserves some silverware too...never got champion with Liverpool and could win that with City.

This would be a win-win-situation for both Gerrard and Liverpool: a big transfer fee for Liverpool, a chance for Silverware for Gerrard.

Gerrard will stay, and IF he were being shopped around, it wouldn't be of a big amount like PLF had said, so why selling him just for pennies? We still need his leadership unless you can count Suarez / Agger / Skrtel as a captain. Carra will probably play 2nd fiddle like last year and that's not so bad. Both will end their careers with us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerrard won´t go anywhere, he is a Liverpool man and player...i would be VERY surprised to see him go..

Carra has no chance to break the partnership of Skrtel and Agger + as i said, Rodgers players need to have what Carra doesn´t have anymore...

i realy doubt Rodgers will play someone just from sentiment..

He deserves to stay until his career ends. A club legend/icon like him should always be treated like that.
Liverpool should not do what Real Madrid did to Hierro and Raul.
He won the CL in 2005, many top players are desperate to win that trophy, like Ibrahimovic :-)

But Raul had a very good time with Schalke. I think this was better instead of being a bench warmer with Real Madrid. Both Real Madrid and Raul won with that transfer. In a couple of years Raul will be acknowledged as a Real legend.

Raul won zero trophy with Schalke, yet they retired his number, considering him a legend for playing there two seasons..

sometimes a player doesn´t need to win silverware to make people remember and respect him.. as much sentimental this would seem to be..

there is no way Gerrard would want to win a PL trophy with Manchester City, i honestly doubt that.. He is local hero for Liverpool... he won´t do what Owen did that´s for sure...

edit: sorry, Raul won the DFB cup... but you get my point i hope..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom