Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

there are many world class players unlucky of not having world class team mates so everything is very relative... sometimes you don´t need to be world class talent to win more things with better team than being one and win nothing for years..

Imagine Gerrard moving to Chelsea back in 2005, or Torres not going and playing with Suarez now up front...

sometimes there is talent above anything, but mostly what i remember RVN is a finisher, many times he wouldn´t be the same without quality wingers assists in Beckham, Giggs etc.. so imho it´s all relative...

Ruud was the best natural forward player I've ever seen. I was just saying his goal tally was similar to Fowler in England.

RvN was the only truly world class player at United for the majority of his time there, possibly along with Rio Ferdinand. Giggs was terrible for a spell, Scholes didn't play, Ronaldo and Rooney weren't around yet and Saha was injured. Ruud had to deal with typical lineups featuring Silvestre, Djembax2, Kleberson and Quinton Fortune. And yet, his scoring rate was phenomenal. He has 2 great years with the midfield of dreams before it all went to hell, but he was still the only truly class player, he basically carried United for 2 years. Anyway, just wanted to articulate that I didn't think Fowler was as talented or 'class' as Ruud, just that they had similar goal rates (I believe).

Fowler was as talented or 'class' as Ruud, just that they had similar goal rates (I believe).

Van Nistelrooy - 150 games; 95 goals; 0.63 GPG Ratio at United
Fowler - 266 games; 128 goals; 0.48 GPG Ratioin two spells at Liverpool

Think these stats are correct.

Just for the record, I'd bring Henry into the equation, personally I would take. van Nistelrooy, but Henry stats are:
Henry - 258games; 175 goals; 0.68GPG ratio

Last edited:

it still is relative, Fowler scored this goals during 9 seasons at LFC as professional, Nistelrooy during 5 years at United...

Nistelrooy is United legend, Fowler is LFC legend, to argue about who was better is stupid.. Fowler won games to Liverpool fans joy in his time, Nistelrooy won them for United fans in his own time...

Siggy set for spurs,good..dodged a bullet.Now we're being linked with Mark Davies???

AVB for Spurs??????WTF!While we settle for Brendan Rodgers?Who has since been replaced by Laudrup??

Why o why???

ScDO5.jpg

our owners admire him as well... could be something or nothing..i would be delighted with Dempsey move here tbh.

I'd blow my load all over town if he went to Liverpool.
If he doesn't, I hope he gets a move to a 'big' team this summer, I think he's earned it.

I'd blow my load all over town if he went to Liverpool.
If he doesn't, I hope he gets a move to a 'big' team this summer, I think he's earned it.

:LMAO:

well there are rumours our owners want him and admire him as well...would be something for US market and brand recognition and promotion there if their best player wear our shirt, possible n.10 as well... but he is quality player even without this need of promotion of the brand..

he would player wise fit in to the squad and he is versatile attacking player, who can play basicly as a midfielder, winger and even CF...he would be a great sigining..

Fulham buying Petric gives me hope becouse he is almost the same style of player as Dempsey.. he might be their replacement who knows.. :COOL:

Bale the new Giggs:?

Bale is nothing like Giggs, one was a skinny extremely skillful on the ball winger who could beat defenders on skill alone while the other is is heavily reliant his speed and physique.

I'd say the best comparison could be Valencia.

ive always thought that bale was the new zinedine kilbane:P

Interesting to see Suarez say that Skrtel is the best defender he's played with.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/skrtel-is-the-best-i-ve-played-with

He's hardly going to say Evra...;)

Dempsey to Liverpool makes tons of sense to me. I'd of thought Arsenal would be a great fit, but they've since bought Podolski and Giroud. Chelsea, City and United don't need him and it seems like Spurs aren't interested. Therefore Liverpool is the best option in England to him.

Having spent most of the season in the US, it should be good for their recognition here. For some reason commentary/ pundits seem heavily LFC and Manchester City biased/ positive over here, and of course pro USA too. So much so I wonder if City actually paid Fox Soccer some kind of deal or something, but anyway.

The only issue I can think at Pool is that Dempsey and Suarez operate in similar ish parts of the pitch, and neither is a true striker. I guess you could put both in behind Carroll, but that means there's not a ton of pace to the attacking 3 - which really hurt LFC this season.

Chris Lawley ‏@ChrisLawley77
Players at Melwood today (1) - Jones, Gulacsi, Carragher, Enrique, Wilson, Flanagan, Adam, Lucas, Spearing, Shelvey, ....

Players at Melwood today (2) - Maxi, Cole, Sterling & Pacheco. They maybe more but the players listed are at Melwood.

Rodgers is reported to have wanted Sterling on loan last season. Good to see him with the squad there and hopefully we'll see more of him this season, he looked great when he came on as a sub at the end of last season.

Rodgers positive of Reds revival

Brendan Rodgers does not think he will have to make major changes in order for Liverpool to start getting full value for their performances.

The Reds dominated numerous matches last season, particularly at home, but just six wins and nine draws at Anfield contributed to an eighth-place finish which cost Kenny Dalglish his job.

Rodgers admits his predecessor probably deserved to get a greater return of points from those games and believes the foundations which the Scot left means with a tweak and a slight change of emphasis he can recover that lost ground.

"If you look at Liverpool's record last season Kenny was very unlucky because there were so many games they dominated but just failed to hit the back of the net," he said.

"Defensively they were reasonably strong so it is a case of improving on what has been happening over the last couple of years and giving the players confidence to go and win games."

The way Rodgers' former club Swansea played possession football was likened, on a smaller scale, to the approach adopted by Barcelona and Spain.

And as the Spanish have just retained their European Championship crown, becoming the first nation to win three successive major titles - one of which was the World Cup - he needs no convincing that the right approach will deliver results.

"Any football team, especially when you play possession football, has to limit the opposition to few chances," he told talkSPORT.

"Last year we (Swansea) used to defend with the ball and people in this country don't seem to understand that, they think you defend without the ball.

"But it is all about penetration and that is what I will look to bring here.

"Possession is no good on its own, it has to be with penetration."

The 39-year-old manager is relishing the start of the new season in his first high-profile role and admits he is lifted by the thought of going into work every day.

"It is very much inspiring. This is a real footballing institution," he added.

"I walk in every day to the training ground here and you've got the European Cup, a little bust of Bill Shankly, and as I sit in my office I've got a great photograph of some of the great players and managers of the past.

"For me, I embrace that because it is very inspirational and in no way intimidating.

"I'm just looking forward to playing a part in hopefully changing the history of the club - but that is for the longer term."

He's been compared to a young Kaka, and this elegant number 10 with power to match his technique and a solid temperament would slot in nicely at Anfield with his countrymen Suarez and Coates...

Born in Fray Bentos, Gastòn Ramírez is canned and ready for consumption and Liverpool will have to move quickly before one of Italy’s big clubs get their teeth into the young Uruguayan playmaker.

One of the pleasures of watching Italian football in these hard days of austerity is witnessing a talented young player make his first innocent steps in the European game.

A couple of seasons ago it was Alexis Sanchez whose dazzling dribbling and eye for goal led to a big-money move from Udinese to Barcelona in the summer. And when the club from Friuli, who continue to confound everyone with their free-flowing attacking approach, searched around for a ready-made replacement for their Chilean whizz they initially plumped for Gastòn Ramírez.

However, a much cheaper option presented itself when the Udinese scouts unearthed Romanian Gabriel Torje and the Fray Bentos-born starlet was left on the shelf. There were reports of potential switches to the likes of AS Roma, Napoli and Fiorentina but it seems that they were more hopeful thinking by the Uruguayan’s agent Vincenzo D’Ippolito, who of course threw of name of Manchester City into the mix, than anything concrete.

Considering the fact that Ramírez does not turn 21 until December there is no need to tout the youngster around like a slab of meat because his talent will find its way to the top table very soon.

Arriving on the well-trodden path from Peñarol to Europe at the start of last season, Bologna were in no hurry to throw the young South American into at times brutal world of Serie A where one-touch too many could cost a player an extended period on the sidelines.

It will be up to Liverpool to prise Ramírez away from a league where he has all the makings of becoming a very tasty main dish indeed
Adapting to a new set of circumstances has found many a player lacking, but not Ramírez who immediately impressed with his ability to choose the right moment to release the ball in the most dangerous area of the pitch: the final third.

Standing at 6ft he is not easily knocked off the ball but more than physical strength his deft touch gives him that vital extra space to wriggle his way through the maze of opposition players who crowd the do-or-die midfield area of Italian football.

Having started out as a winger and predominantly left-footed, he was employed on the right side in a more advanced position much as AC Milan had done with Ricky Kaka on the left in his early days at the Milanese club.

In fact, there are plenty of similarities between the pair: elegant running style, pacy and with that natural ability to anticipate how a move will pan out which enables him to arrive in the area at just the right moment where fortunately his heading ability is as formidable as his shooting.

Like the Kaka of former years, Ramírez possesses an excellent temperament which has ensured that his suspensions have been kept to a minimum. He also proved to be a resourceful character who faced with the icy Bolognese winter embraced his new surroundings by flinging on an extra layer or two to get out and meet the locals and get to grips with a new language.

There is plenty of maturity in one so tender in age especially playing in a struggling side whose ambitions go no further than avoiding the drop – which in turn has further impressed a number of Italian clubs much further up the pecking order.

Bologna have reluctantly conceded that they cannot hold on to their star asset and Fiorentina would like nothing more than to dovetail him alongside the equally talented Stevan Jovetić in a trequartista pairing made in heaven, so it will be up to Liverpool to prise Ramírez away from a league where he has all the makings of becoming a very tasty main dish indeed.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/footba...lion-man-set-to-spice-up-liverpools-midfield/

-

Last edited:

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri
@davemchol Bologna-Liverpool talks in next 48hr

Steven ‏@neostat_lfc
@tancredipalmeri Is it true that Gaston Ramirez fancies the move but Bologna are looking to get a higher price?

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri
@neostat_lfc 100%

This guy is a reporter for cnn and Gazzetta dello Sport.

Rodgers regarding Sigurdsson:

Brendan Rodgers: "I believed playing football would be most important to him (Sigurdsson) but obviously it was important financially." #LFC

Rodgers cont: "I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I agreed to pay before." #LFC

the market is big, we need to focus on buying more players like Coates, that could develop to world class.

the market is big, we need to focus on buying more players like Coates, that could develop to world class.
Coates will never develope into a word class player if Liverpool plays a mediocre slovakian player instead of him.

wish we had more of such medicore players tbh :YAWN:

Actually what Rodgers needs to do is get rid of Carragher....
I think it is people like Carragher who will prevent Coates from getting
a chance...

Rodgers seems like a balanced guy......he says we need a few
additions in some areas that need improvement...I hope that means
a new striker and a right-midfielder......at the very minimum...

Back
Top Bottom