Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
@c_mcintosh1 #LFC have not given up hope but they are not prepared to match Sigurdsson's 'astronomical' wage demands. #Spurs favourites

Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
@c_mcintosh1 hard to say how much this is being driven by player and how much agent. Almost sure he'd rather play for Rodgers but £ talks

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
@Judge_Judy_ Nothing done yet your honour. Spurs offering higher wages and definitely favourites but Liverpool still in the race.

Rumoured to be offered £500k a year more by Spurs than what Liverpool are offering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is he really a player you need? Adam, Henderson, Gerrard and Shelvey all play in the same position no?

If I were a pool fan I'd be looking for wide players and a bit more backup in defense. Agger and Skrtl are fine, but that's it in terms of depth.

Maybe he does want to join Liverpool and he/his agent is trying to squeeze out as much as they can from you guys first.

Is he really a player you need? Adam, Henderson, Gerrard and Shelvey all play in the same position no?

If I were a pool fan I'd be looking for wide players and a bit more backup in defense. Agger and Skrtl are fine, but that's it in terms of depth.

It´s Rodgers time to want his own players and he WANT´S Gylfi pretty much...he wanted to sign him for Swansea..

in his interview for LFC.tv he said the preseason will determine what players will stay or go...he said even Cole has still chance to play for us next season if he impresses... Aquilani the same imho..

so it´s not about what we need, becouse we don´t know yet if Adam, Gerrard, Shelvey or anyone will be here after pre season...

obviously Gerrard won´t go, but you get my point..

I agree, the thing is that the numbers that were said first were very good for a player of his quality. But now, if he is going to push for very hight wages then we shouldnt buy him. What we really need is in wide positions, a true foward and a CB.

I'm not convinced anyone will pay > £25m for Modric, so Levy might keep him.

Bale is going nowhere. He's not even close to being worth the kind of prices Spurs will demand.

Bale is among the very best players in the EPL, the new Giggs. I remember the Liverpool fans saying the same about Giggs, they said Fowler would become a big player in roughly 1994, and Giggs was overrated. You make the same mistake here.

I haven't said that. I just said that most Liverpool fans (at the time, when Liverpool was the better team) were convinced that Fowler would be a better player than Giggs. And let's be honest, Fowler turned out to be a shadow of the player Giggs would become.

But since you mention it. No, Fowler wasn't a big player. He was a talented player full of promise, who never delivered what he promised.

I haven't said that. I just said that most Liverpool fans (at the time, when Liverpool was the better team) were convinced that Fowler would be a better player than Giggs. And let's be honest, Fowler turned out to be a shadow of the player Giggs would become.

But since you mention it. No, Fowler wasn't a big player. He was a talented player full of promise, who never delivered what he promised.

:LMAO:

Okay :)

In the following close season, Fowler helped the England under-18 team win the 1993 European Championship,[5] before making a scoring first-team debut in Liverpool's 3–1 win in a first round League Cup tie at Fulham on 22 September 1993.[6] Fowler scored all five goals in the second leg at Anfield two weeks later, making him the fourth player in Liverpool's history to score five in a senior fixture.[4] He scored his first league hat-trick against Southampton in only his fifth league game. His very first league goal for the Reds had come on 16 October 1993, when an 87th minute equaliser at home to struggling Oldham Athletic saved the Reds from what would have been one of the biggest Premier League shocks of the season, with a last gasp own goal giving Liverpool a 2–1 win.[7] He scored twice in a thrilling 3–3 draw at Tottenham Hotspur on 18 December.[8]

His first 13 games for the club yielded 12 goals, and he was rewarded with an England Under-21 debut against San Marino in November 1993, in which he scored England's opening goal in the third minute. Fowler was unable to sustain his goal-a-game ratio throughout the season, but finished his first season as the club's leading scorer with 18 goals in all competitions, although Ian Rush had scored more goals in the league. It was, however, a disappointing season for Liverpool, as they finished eighth in the Premier League without making any impact in any of the major competitions, though the departure of Graeme Souness as manager and the appointment of Roy Evans as successor built up hope for the future.[4]

[edit]Success and fame

In the 1994–95 season, Fowler was an ever-present for Liverpool, playing in all of their 57 competitive matches, including the victory in the 1995 League Cup final, and a match against Arsenal in which he scored the Premier league's fastest ever hat-trick, in four minutes and 33 seconds,[9] a record that still stands.
He also managed braces against Aston Villa, Ipswich Town, Chelsea and Norwich City in the league that season.
Fowler was voted the PFA Young Player of the Year in two consecutive years in 1995 and 1996,[10] a feat equalled only by Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney.[11]

Throughout the mid and late 1990s, Fowler was widely considered to be the most natural finisher playing in England.[12] Fowler sealed this reputation as he scored more than 30 goals for three consecutive seasons, up to 1997. He remains the only player to have scored 30 plus goals in his first three full seasons in England scoring 98 goals with a total of 116 in 3 and a half years, something which has also yet to be beaten in La Liga, Seria A and the Bundesliga too. Fowler's partnership with Steve McManaman was largely described as the reason why Liverpool had become the club known for being the most potent attacking force in England at the time,[13] and Fowler was renowned for scoring goals of all varieties, from every angle and distance, with McManaman describing him as the "greatest goalscorer of all time."[14]
Stan Collymore, Fowler's strike partner from 1995 to 1997, said in his autobiography that Fowler was the best player he has ever played alongside. Fowler and Collymore were among the most prolific goal-scoring strike partnerships in England during the 1995–96 season.

The last paragraph particularly.

1993–2001 Liverpool 236 (120)
2001–2003 Leeds United 30 (14)

Career: 515 games, 230 goals.

And you're saying it was just potential and that he never delivered? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when there's black and white facts to say that you're wrong, it's just invalid. Most people would say a career with a games/goals ratio has done pretty well in fulfilling their promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fowler or Skrtel would need to play for Manchester United to be recognised as they should..

but is Giggs realy that good becouse of his long term career and the fact he played in best team of last 20 years, or did HE made the team best of the last 20 years...? I think Giggs is top class player in his day, but there were better players than him in PL, only without luck being so consistent and with such great health.

Both great players, but one made the most of his talent whilst the other didnt. And one was at the right club (regarding trophies) whilst the other wasn't.

Adam Digby

Fabio Borini's agent says he believes the Liverpool #LFC target is no longer available after Roma won the player's entire registration in a blind auction with Parma last week. No longer co-owned, agent Marco De Marchi said:“As far as I am concerned, Borini is off the market. Roma gave an important signal by signing his whole contract & he is therefore a Roma player which was always what he wanted. Liverpool? I know nothing about that. What I do know is that Roma own him outright.”

Bale is among the very best players in the EPL, the new Giggs. I remember the Liverpool fans saying the same about Giggs, they said Fowler would become a big player in roughly 1994, and Giggs was overrated. You make the same mistake here.

Bale the new Giggs:?

Bale is nothing like Giggs, one was a skinny extremely skillful on the ball winger who could beat defenders on skill alone while the other is is heavily reliant his speed and physique.

I'd say the best comparison could be Valencia.

have to agree with YoungGun_UK..

Giggs on his day was player who could "fly" around the pitch..while Bele is stronger and taller than him already with 22 or so...

Fowler or Skrtel would need to play for Manchester United to be recognised as they should..

but is Giggs realy that good becouse of his long term career and the fact he played in best team of last 20 years, or did HE made the team best of the last 20 years...? I think Giggs is top class player in his day, but there were better players than him in PL, only without luck being so consistent and with such great health.
Your obession with Skrtel was funny but now you are going too far. How can someone compare a mediocre CB just because he is from his country with one of the best FW in the history of Liverpool.

:LMAO:

Okay :)

The last paragraph particularly.

1993–2001 Liverpool 236 (120)
2001–2003 Leeds United 30 (14)

Career: 515 games, 230 goals.

And you're saying it was just potential and that he never delivered? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when there's black and white facts to say that you're wrong, it's just invalid. Most people would say a career with a games/goals ratio has done pretty well in fulfilling their promise.
You and all that statistics are wrong. Fowler was a completely waste of potential. Skrtel, on the other hand, that is what a I call great potential fulfilled.

Dags, that article forgot to mention all the titles Fowler won with "the most potent attacking force in England". Please humour me and fill me in...i've no idea how much he won. I'm sure you know.

I'm pretty sure you got that from wikipedia and that it was written by a Liverpool fan. Yes, Fowler was a natural goal scorer (oh and it was even a player i liked a lot).

As for Giggs, could it be that he won as much silverware as Fowler and even a litle bit more? Giggs was/is one of the all-time greats in English football. He has the bad luck to be born in Wales. For players like him it would be good to have a team of the rest of the world in WC's.

Younggun, in a couple of years Bale plays for Man Utd and you will do everything to forget that last post about him. I will have the decency not to remind you of it...

:COOL::COOL::COOL:

Last edited:

Your obession with Skrtel was funny but now you are going too far. How can someone compare a mediocre CB just because he is from his country with one of the best FW in the history of Liverpool.

LOL, i said that top players playing for LFC would be considered worldwide top only if they played for United especialy during United´s succesfull years...Vidic doesn´t play for NT anymore, was one year off, still people would NOW say he is better than Skrtel, wich i don´t think he is personally.

about the Slovak thing, you are realy not funny with picking on some players and me, I supported Liverpool since the time Skrtel was playing for a slovak team..i have no more feelings towards him than any other player..i was skeptic when he signed for us and happy he is first Slovak here but that is it.. i support LFC, not Skrtel.

i would call your stuff in past with Aquilani or Dalglish hate as WAAYYY to far..

I'm sorry pipa, but Vidic is much better than Skrtel. Much, much better. Vidic is one of the best CB's around, Skrtel is a good one, but not more than that.

Oh and to be honest: i really don't like Vidic.

ok i don´t argue with what is your personal option, mine is that Skrtel is not worse than him..

i´m sure we can live in peace with our options about players..

ok i don´t argue with what is your personal option, mine is that Skrtel is not worse than him..

i´m sure we can live in peace with our options about players..

Wait. Hold on. This is Martin Skrtel and Namanja Vidic we're talking about here? Same level? Just. Wow.

Interesting debates somewhat tenuous to LFC, so apologies:

1. Bale at the moment is one of the most dangerous players in the premier league. Despite his stats not being outstanding (but still impressive - 12 goals is solid) he is often a threat and is terrifying for most full backs. He also has some great technique (early season volleyed goal) which is also shown in his free kicks. BUT. He is massively reliant on his pace, and worse he has had a number of different injuries over the past few seasons, all affecting this. If, and I really hope it doesn't, he gets hurt and loses that integral yard of pace, then I worry if he'd be able to transform himself. That's why I don't believe he's worth more than £25m - because there's a huge risk his greatest attribute could disappear in 1 or 2 years. He's far more accomplished than Valencia, and is a much more complete footballer.

2. Fowler should be viewed similarly to RvN. Excellent strikers with amazing goal scoring rates, but didn't achieve all they probably hoped for in England. Ruud went on to other things, whereas Fowler burned out a bit quickly. Maybe if Robbie had been more focussed on his fitness a la Giggsy, he'd of achieved more. Giggs at his pomp would have made it into any team in the world. He was the best left winger in Europe (along with Figo) for a decade. And won everything just to prove it.

Bale is a bit like Owen in that regard, once Owen (and Torres more recently) lost or stopped using their pace they became less effective. Owen never got to his old level, Torres seems scared and/or just isnt being used by his manager like Benitez did. Thats one of the great aspects of Giggs, he learned to play differently (only running at 75% of his speed) to contiunue playing and developing other skills.

LOL, i said that top players playing for LFC would be considered worldwide top only if they played for United especialy during United´s succesfull years...Vidic doesn´t play for NT anymore, was one year off, still people would NOW say he is better than Skrtel, wich i don´t think he is personally.

about the Slovak thing, you are realy not funny with picking on some players and me, I supported Liverpool since the time Skrtel was playing for a slovak team..i have no more feelings towards him than any other player..i was skeptic when he signed for us and happy he is first Slovak here but that is it.. i support LFC, not Skrtel.

i would call your stuff in past with Aquilani or Dalglish hate as WAAYYY to far..
No problem. In fact I would love that, since I was one of the few here in this forum that critisised Dalglish from day one. Time proved me right.

You guys are insane comparing rvn to fowler... Not even close, Ruud was one of the most lethal strikers of his generation. His technique was off the charts. I will tell you what Ruud scored a hell of a lot more goals 6 yards and in, then fowler did from beyond the 18. That is just a ridiculous criticism
That Ruud could not score
From beyond the box. Sorry tik, I noticed you said skills... Not shot. But I don't agree with that either, Ruud was fantastic at holding up play and switching up the attack.

Look nobody will believe me, but i always like Liverpool well. But IMO the last 25 years you had only two world class players: Xabi Alonso and Torres. I'll humour you and name a third (although i'm far from convinced): Gerrard. And that is it.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy in his prime (and that prime lasted much longer than Fowler's) was the best finisher in the world. Technical skills don't matter in the end tik. The best finisher i ever saw was the great Gerd Muller. He wasn't the most technically skilled player either. Fowler never was the best finsher in the world, and beside that, when he played the level of the EPL was not as high as the other big leagues. Fowler is a player like Andy Cole: good but not remarkable. Hell, even Alan Shearer was better than him.

Edit: Liverpool had a fourth world class player, but he never was world class for you: Jari Littmanen.

Younggun, in a couple of years Bale plays for Man Utd and you will do everything to forget that last post about him. I will have the decency not to remind you of it...

:COOL::COOL::COOL:

I doubt, it Gerd, I think he's a slightly better version of Valencia on the left but my opinion of him isn't going to change whether we sign him or not, personally I'd be disappointed if we did as he'd cost a kings ransom and their are much better players for that value.

Owen's got to be considered World Class with his time at Liverpool?

Yeah the RVN/Fowler comparison was silly, Andy Cole and Fowler is far more apt.

Back
Top Bottom