Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

sometimes i feel we don´t deserve success...would United sell Vidic...?

we are a selling club now or a club that want´s to build on solid performers and Skrtel for me is a core of our defence...

what if Agger get´s injury again..would we find a CB of Skrtel quality to jump in and perform straight as him..for 6 mil. pounds...?

United wouldn't sell Vidic but he was their captain and best player for a good couple years before all these recent injury problems.

That's our whole point. You can't compare Vidic to Skrtel who's basically an inferior version of him. He has the same macho attitude and plays rough but not the same ability, marking, positioning or even as good of a header of the ball.

BUT, No ONE is saying Liverpool should sell Skrtel for 6 mil pounds. That would be a mistake! But like Dags said, if 15 million offer comes in, then yes and if anything above that, then you pack his suitcase for him too.

if our owners sell Skrtel close to 15 mil, knowing that City payed 25 mil. for Lescott, i will start to think they are crazy.

Lescott's no slouch even for a former blue, besides that 25 million is partly due cause he's ENGLISH :-)

This discussion is pointless as Skrtel will sign a new contract with Liverpool, no way they're selling him without a backup in place. Unless they're thinking about Kyrgiakos coming back?

Kompany came from HSV and was in his final year of contract I think. You can't compare those prices because each transfer is different and from a different situation.

As for what Pipa said, Lescott >>> Skrtel so I personally see no problem with that and he's English anyway so that means he's more expensive the same way many of Liverpool's transfers have been inflated and overpriced (Henderson, Downing, etc.)

Buying Skrtel would be a stupid thing to do. Kompany and Lescott are doing fine together. Kompany must be with Piqué and Thiago Silva among the best CB's in the world and Joleon Lescott is certainly not a lesser player than Skrtel. On top of that they have Touré and that CB from Montenegro (who had a couple of bad performances, but he is still young).

Agree with everything barring your inclusion of Pique, he's a very good defender but one of the worlds best he isn't.

Really? Pique is a euro champion, a wc winner, a cl winner, and he is the rock of all of those defenses...Did spain even get scored on in the last world cup..

Yeah they lost their first match 0-1 to Switzerland and also Chile scored against them (2-1). Actually a strange fact of the World Cup was only one team was undefeated - New Zealand.

But when either Pique or the other one is injured Barca put Masch in there, I might have seen biscuits there aswell. Both Barca and Spain's defence rarely gets pressured because the midfield and possesion is so good. So not sureyou can call him WC when he/they rarely needs to defend.

tragic, tragic news..

Betis player, former Liverpool player Miki Roque lost his battle with cancer, he was 23.

Miki_Roque.jpg

rest in peace Miki..

YNWA :(

Last edited:

Sounds like Sigurdsson has decided to join Tottenham instead.

I think if he signs for Tottenham, who are without manager despite Rodgers wanting him and knowing he would play under him..it must be for money, or he want´s to play for United in future...i don´t want such player in our shirt who prefeurs money to the other important things..i know football is buisiness..but still, Rodgers want´s him obviously..

'Miki was humble and talented'

Liverpool FC's club chaplain Bill Bygroves today spoke of his sadness at the news that former Red Miki Roque passed away on Sunday after losing his battle with cancer.

art_miki_roque_1.jpg

The 23-year-old was on Liverpool's books between 2005 and 2009. When he arrived on Merseyside, Miki lived with Bill and his family for a couple of weeks as he adjusted to his new surroundings.

"We were deeply saddened to hear the news about Miki," said Bill. "He started out here living in our home and it was a real shock when we found out the news last night.

"He was a really nice young man. He was bright, talented, hard working, thoughtful, cheerful, courteous and popular. He loved his family, his country, his friends and his football.

"I remember when I first met him, he was shy. But he was excited about coming here to Liverpool and I suppose he was a little bit nervous about starting - but then again you would be. He was ambitious and keen to start training.

"He would eat with us and live with us and my wife and I really valued him. When he was with us, he was like part of our family. Back then he was just a typical teenager who would like to play on the Playstation.

"But he was a very popular lad and he made friends very easily, especially considering he was just picking up bits of English as he went along."

The staff at Liverpool also took very quickly to Miki, who netted in the 2006 FA Youth Cup final.

"The coaches really appreciated Miki's qualities as a person," continued Bill. "They loved him. He would look forward every day to going to training.

"Pako Ayesterian was first-team coach and he had a great working relationship with Miki because the lad had a great desire to succeed and a great attitude towards work. I know Rafael Benitez and all his coaches greatly valued Miki.

miki.jpg

"He was delighted to be here in Liverpool. He really was. He was a really talented, genuine person and one of the things that stood out about him was how polite he was. He was a great representative of his family and his country, because he was fiercely proud to be from Spain."

The defender made his only first-team appearance as a substitute in a Champions League match against Galatasaray in December 2006 and Bill insists Miki was proud to have worn the Liverbird upon his chest.

"He was immensely proud of his first-team appearance," explained Bill. "He always talked about how proud he was to play for Liverpool and to sign for such a huge club.

"He loved being around the place and getting involved - he would always do so much work in the community. But he relished that type of work and I think that was just another example of what a humble and dedicated person he was."

After a short while under Bill's roof, Miki spent the remainder of his time on Merseyside living with Geoff and Jean Park. Geoff being a lecturer in Spanish at Liverpool University helped Miki settle in further.

"Miki lived with Geoff and Jean and their family for the period of his time in Liverpool. They and we are really upset by this news," said Bill. "Tomorrow, Miki will be laid to rest and Geoff will deliver a letter to Miki's family on behalf of Liverpool Football Club.

"If I could sum the young man up in just a few words, it would be that he was enthusiastic, conscientious and talented and above all an absolute credit to his family. My thoughts, prayers and deep condolences are with his family. RIP Miguel."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/miki-was-humble-and-talented

duncan jenkins duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC

i'm on holiday in #skeggy with my bird. i only report solid #info. #lfc were 100% percent certain gylfi was coming. see @neiljonesecho T.L

i duncan jenkins will be big enough to hold my hands up above my head and admit i was wrong if my #sigurdson scoop du jour has gone cold.

the chase for #lfc is not over but they will need to make a bigger offer, they've been surprised by size of spurs offer. B.R will be angry.

Looks like it is coming down to money then. A shame but as Pipa says, not the kind of player you want at the club if money takes priority over anything else. Especially after him supposedly admiring Rodgers so much and being ready to move to Swansea permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurs look more likely to make CL next season, whereas Liverpool will need a season of adjustment. But does sound very much like purely money though, but maybe he already knows whomis,going to be manager and they are good aswell. If it is a significantly higher offer you cant blame him imo.

Of course you can't blame him. Each of us would swap work if he can earn more and on top of that work for a more reputed employer (before hell breaks loose, i'm not saying Spurs are more reputed than Liverpool, i was just searching for an argument in our jobs than is the equivalent of having a bigger chance to play CL football).

And don't come with the usual argument: "football is not a normal job". For us, it is not a normal job, for the players it is.

How would a player join a club w/o knowing the gaffer`s plan ? What , if the gaffer prefers a way that doesn`t benefit a player`s strength. It`s crazy and damn right risky.

How would a player join a club w/o knowing the gaffer`s plan ? What , if the gaffer prefers a way that doesn`t benefit a player`s strength. It`s crazy and damn right risky.

He probably knows who the gaffer is and I personally believe AVB is the man. The reason why Spurs haven't announced it yet is that André has an agreement with Chelsea in which he can't commit to any clube before 1st July.

I'm not convinced anyone will pay > £25m for Modric, so Levy might keep him.

Bale is going nowhere. He's not even close to being worth the kind of prices Spurs will demand.

Back
Top Bottom