Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

While LFC still have that inconsistency about them at times this season, I am happy that they seem to be playing to a pattern now, rather than under the tacticless, rudderless Houllier. Am glad that we got rid of Owen as, like Everton with Ferguson playing a few years ago, he was too often our only option up front last year. Problems until January without another striker though....

Anybody suggest a price for Harry Kewell??

crayon said:
While LFC still have that inconsistency about them at times this season, I am happy that they seem to be playing to a pattern now, rather than under the tacticless, rudderless Houllier. Am glad that we got rid of Owen as, like Everton with Ferguson playing a few years ago, he was too often our only option up front last year. Problems until January without another striker though....

Anybody suggest a price for Harry Kewell??

2 Quid

crayon said:
Twice what I thought I would get!

I was feeling generous.

Wonder how the team will line up tonight in the Carling Cup, I see more of our youth team getting a run out

crayon said:
Am glad that we got rid of Owen as, like Everton with Ferguson playing a few years ago, he was too often our only option up front last year. Problems until January without another striker though....
I don't know if I prefer only option with Owen to no options at the moment. I don't think we have a guaranteed goal scorer in Baros (prone to dips in form) or Pongolle (not finished article). Cisse was starting to take the Diouf route also.

CWright said:
I see more of our youth team getting a run out
With the injury list as it is, Benitez probably won't risk them. Maybe the U18's...

Good result the youngsters played well against a strong Boro side and another impressive game from Biscan...I just find it funny how good his playing....

Been impressed every time I've seen Mellor play. Did you see it Sabac Red? I am also highly amused by Biscan's turn of form. Seems we're slowly coming out of our Houllier-induced coma. When will Harry come out of his though??

I think todays match was a lesson in how to make it look really tough. Our defence must have been asleep for the afternoon

CWright said:
I think todays match was a lesson in how to make it look really tough. Our defence must have been asleep for the afternoon

Well I'll have to wait till I see the highlights. were you at the game CW?
Baros is looking sharp, but I cant help looking at Owen at Madrid. 5 goals in 7 games. He scores on average a goal every 2 games whever he is. If we had him this season I think things would be so different. No use looking back I know but....

cal-neva said:
Well I'll have to wait till I see the highlights. were you at the game CW?
Baros is looking sharp, but I cant help looking at Owen at Madrid. 5 goals in 7 games. He scores on average a goal every 2 games whever he is. If we had him this season I think things would be so different. No use looking back I know but....
Personally I don't agree. The trouble with having Owen (under Houllier of course) was that too often we only had one way of playing and too often it didn't make any sense. Hit it to Owen with a long ball and let him chase it. No chance against well organised defences with only the one up front to mark.

Having said all that now, thinking about the passing options we now have, Alonso, Garcia, and (when fit/not crocked) Gerrard it would have been interesting. There again, I got the feeling he was just stringing LFC along for more dough.

Players come and go, Liverpool is forever. :applause: ...At least we're not always so easy to read as a team now.

Our attack at times was really good, with quick passing.
I'm glad Owen has gone, because with him in the team we were 1-dimensional using
the long-ball over the top always.

Now we have more skillful players who pass the ball at feet more often.
I like the way we play.

Josemi was disappointing, I think Finnan should be ahead of him for the RB spot.
Baros and Alonso had crackers...even Kewell looked more sharp than usual.

I just hope we have Gerrard ready for the big games against Arsenal, Monaco, Olympiakos.
Hamann will have to give way for the home games

Agree with you there mathewsss. Pretty much the same group of players tho apart from Spanish influence. Benitez must have really laid down the rules - something we've needed for a long time. With Gerard Houllier we didn't seem as if we knew how to attack and pass fluently and at speed. Too much emphasis on defence with Houllier. Personally I still can't get over why he got rid of Litmanen....

Josemi for me is too slow (it was evident even at Bolton) and Finnan is the obvious replacement. Harry Kewell gave two great assists, one for the goal from the free kick (very well worked) and the other for the penno.

Exciting watching Liverpool playing this season (unlike the paint-drying experience at times last year) - now all we need to do is stop Carragher falling over in our own penalty box.......

Gerrard made a smart return tonight for the reserves. http://skysports.planetfootball.com...LID=&lid=2&title=Gerrard+in+successful+return

Whatever you say about Owen lads, he scored a goal every 2 games for us. He does that for England as well and look at him at Madrid now, 5 in 7 is it?? I mean you cant underestimate that. We had so many 1 nils or 2-1's with Owen scoring one or both goals. Apart from Baros you cant see that kind of return coming from anywhere else and thats a worry. And Baros has been up and down this season. I hear that Benitez is not a fan of his because he wants a more assured passing game but Baros' 'head down' style of not passing etc. doesnt fit in with that. He doesnt have any option but to play him though.
I cant see Cisse coming back from this injury either, the only thing he has shown here is pace and thats fucked now, and anyway we will get another striker in the meantime who will surely establish himself in the side.
Looking good in the central midfield though. Gerrard, Alonso, Biscan, and Hamann look awesome.

cal-neva said:
I hear that Benitez is not a fan of his because he wants a more assured passing game but Baros' 'head down' style of not passing etc. doesnt fit in with that. He doesnt have any option but to play him though.

Baros could become one of the top 5 strikers in europe if he just sorted out a few of his flaws of course that 'head down' approach is a major one, but I still think he's been doing an excellent job as the target man.

Hopefully we can get Morientes or Julio Cruz come January...

Nunez makes his comeback next week in the reserves so thats good news, also Benitez has said when Nunez comes into the first team we'll be playing very wide at home.

I think they're in love ;)

Steven Gerrard admits he's baffled why a player of Xabi Alonso's undoubted class is not a regular for Spain.
Alonso, 22, is expected to win his 12th full cap against England in Madrid on Wednesday - a tally Gerrard believes should be much higher.

The former Real Sociedad midfielder only joined Liverpool in September but the Reds captain has been hugely impressed by what he has seen of him so far.

"I watch a lot of Spanish football on television and I cannot understand why Xabi is not one of the first names on their team-sheet," says Gerrard.

"Obviously they have a lot of good midfielders in the likes of Baraja and Albelda. But Xabi is the best of them all.

"Everyone can see that he is a talented footballer. He can pass it long or short, is technically gifted and very rarely gives the ball away.

"But what has impressed me is his attitude and professionalism for such a young lad. He's only 22 but he eats, sleeps and drinks football. He's very similar to Jamie Carragher in that respect."

XABI RELISHING STEVIE'S FIRST TEAM RETURN
Mark Platt 16 November 2004
Xabi Alonso hailed the imminent return to first team action of Steven Gerrard and admitted his presence in the Liverpool side has been sorely missed.
As he prepares for Wednesday night's friendly international against England in Madrid, the Reds Spain international has revealed his delight at the news that Gerrard is available for the trip to Middlesbrough on Saturday.

"Gerrard is a spectacular player and he provides charisma for the team with his play, and is so important for the supporters," says Alonso.

"He plays in midfield but gives so much support to the attack also. He is a powerful player that could triumph at any club.

"Gerrard, in the Spanish league, would give exhibitions of his quality in every match.

"Liverpool have felt the absence of Gerrard, and England also. For the football the best news is his rapid return to fitness."

that has got to be the best center midfield in the prem bar none.... if kewell can keep his game up and they play riise on the left and nunez or garcia on the right this looks pretty cracking from what i have seen this season

............baros...........kewell...............

riise........gerrard........alonso............nunez/garcia

Baros got injured tonight in Skopje, seriousness of it is unknown but he was taken off.

XBG105111714_lower.jpg

At this rate you'll have to get El Haji Diouf back from Bolton.

that looks heavily taped... hope he's ok for he has found his touch at anfield

-fb

Of all the spanish players that dived and play to taunt their opponents,I must say that Xabi Alonso is a masterclass,he is a gentleman who is focused on playing football and never takes his mind off it.I am truly a fan.

Liverpool will today discover the extent of the latest injury sustained by in-form striker Milan Baros.
Baros suffered a suspected hamstring strain while playing for the Czech Republic in a World Cup qualifier against Macedonia on Wednesday night.

He was forced to limp out of the action with his left leg heavily bandaged after just 17 minutes of the clash in Skopje and will have the injury assessed by the club's medical staff when he returns to Melwood today.

Early indications are that last Saturday's hat-trick hero could be out for a few weeks.

Czech Republic team doctor Petr Krejei says: "The people that have looked at him think the muscle is pulled, but there will need to be another examination of it before it can be properly assessed. But we think it is similar to before, and recommend a few weeks' rest."

If Krejei's diagnosis is correct then the loss of Baros will be a massive blow to Rafael Benitez, especially with some important games looming, both domestically and in Europe.

Baros is Liverpool's leading goalscorer with ten goals so far this season and he said afterwards: "I knew what was wrong as it has happened before. I knew I had to go off straight away. I could feel it as it is the second time I've felt the muscle."

Another striker bites the dust

Oh crap, that's all we need. :( Here's hoping Mellor takes his chance, 'cos I can't see H.Kewell scoring too many(it may seem like I'm picking on him but I just want him to return to his Leeds form). Could be a long December. :roll:

Baros' is out for almost a month. Sad news, last thing we needed.

Kewell will now be under even more pressure. But he's more suited to a deep lying
striker role. We can't expect him to be an out-and-out goalscorer.
Looks like Mellor should get his chance to stake his claim. It's a good opportunity
for him to really make the step up to Premiership class.
I hope it's not too much of a burden on him, but now is the time for our midfield
to start scoring even more goals.
Garcia, Gerrard, Riise need to start putting in their share of goals to help ease the burden
on Mellor.
I would drop Hamann and keep Alonso in a slightly more deeper role so that
the above 3 midfielders have a more attacking role than usual.
Alonso would be the distributor and also occasionally need to protect the back 4.
This formation would be good for home matches.

Maybe in Away matches, we could drop Garcia and keep Gerrard near the Right wing
with Hamann and Alonso in the middle.

What do you think about today's performance? A bit dire, in my opinion. We are going to struggle till January. No recognised striker although HK and LG tried their best. :applause: Am beginning to think that two or three of them aren't trying hard enough though, and need to be sat down in front of the Official History DVD/video. Show them Liverpool '88 for starters. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom