Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

what a great picture...

sirbob2.jpg

Henderson and Downing will BOTH do much better next season. Mark my words.

depends for what team :D

just joking, i hope so mate i realy do... i have little faith in Downing´s LFC future though..

No taxi for Maxi, Diame deal on

Maxi Rodriguez has dismissed reports he has left Liverpool following rumours he had joined Newell's Old Boys in his native Argentina.

The attack-minded midfielder was expected to leave Liverpool at the end of this season after making just 21 appearances, largely as a substitute, in the 2011/12 campaign.

Maxi has 12 months left on his contract, but appeared to wave goodbye to fans when he made his most recent Anfield appearance in the thrashing of Chelsea at the beginning of May.

After he was spotted in Rosario, it has been reported he had agreed a move to Newell's, but he insists this is not the case.

Fans' favourite Maxi told Ole newspaper: "I do not know where these things come from. I have one year left on my contract at Liverpool and did not talk to anybody."

The departure of former boss Kenny Dalglish and following appointment of Brendan Rodgers has given all fringe players at Liverpool a fresh chance.

In other news, it is believed Liverpool's move for free agent midfielder Mohamed Diame is back on.

Diame, who played at Wigan in the 2011/12 season, is one of the top Bosmans around this summer.

The move appeared to have collapsed following the sacking of former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish.

However, new manager Brendan Rodgers has given the green light for the deal, as he is big fan of Diame.

Liverpool could face competition from Aston Villa for Diame, with Paul Lambert keen to sign him after taking over at Villa Park.

No taxi for Maxi, Diame deal on

Maxi Rodriguez has dismissed reports he has left Liverpool following rumours he had joined Newell's Old Boys in his native Argentina.

The attack-minded midfielder was expected to leave Liverpool at the end of this season after making just 21 appearances, largely as a substitute, in the 2011/12 campaign.

Maxi has 12 months left on his contract, but appeared to wave goodbye to fans when he made his most recent Anfield appearance in the thrashing of Chelsea at the beginning of May.

After he was spotted in Rosario, it has been reported he had agreed a move to Newell's, but he insists this is not the case.

Fans' favourite Maxi told Ole newspaper: "I do not know where these things come from. I have one year left on my contract at Liverpool and did not talk to anybody."

The departure of former boss Kenny Dalglish and following appointment of Brendan Rodgers has given all fringe players at Liverpool a fresh chance.

In other news, it is believed Liverpool's move for free agent midfielder Mohamed Diame is back on.

Diame, who played at Wigan in the 2011/12 season, is one of the top Bosmans around this summer.

The move appeared to have collapsed following the sacking of former Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish.

However, new manager Brendan Rodgers has given the green light for the deal, as he is big fan of Diame.

Liverpool could face competition from Aston Villa for Diame, with Paul Lambert keen to sign him after taking over at Villa Park.

Two potential great deals. I really like Maxi and have no idea why he could never break in to the first team.

I heard that Diame might face difficulties to pass the medical test, because he has heart problems and hasn't played 90' minutes since January if I'm not wrong.
I'd welcome him, he'd be a great signing as he's 100xxx times better than Spearing.

-

brendan-rodgers_1120023a.jpg

Brendan Rodgers watched as the Spirit of Shankly that Liverpool fans hold close to their hearts went on to rule Europe numerous times. Bill’s Liverpool dispatched the best with consummate ease and Bill Shankly’s name not only went down in the history of Anfield but in the history of British Football. The man’s appointment on the 14th of December 1959 was major risk. Liverpool had been languishing in the never regions of the Second Division for some time now and the board wanted to get a man who would take them to the top. Had they not taken a risk on the Scottish manager, who had over 10 years experience behind him, Rodgers would not have the targets he has today. In my mind, it is well within Brendan’s grasp that he’ll be able to establish himself in the hall of fame. The similarities between Rodgers and Shankly are eerily optimistic for Liverpool fans and those who complain about the board appointing a manager of his standard should only go to look back the apprenticeship that Shankly had when he became the Liverpool boss some 52 years and 6 months ago.

Rodgers grew up watching Liverpool play the same type of football that he has been critically acclaimed for doing with Swansea City FC. Rodgers said “When he was young, they said the Europeans players were better, physically and technically, and that the English lads couldn’t play” and it has been his mantra since to build an English team that could play the sort of football that the continental teams had progressed with, calling it his ‘destiny to get British players to play that way’ and ‘to try and make a difference’ to English football. Shankly had already accomplished this. He called the ‘Pass and Move’ football that he played ‘ terribly simple’ and its basis was just “giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass”. In short, he has explained the football that Barcelona has used to captivate the world, Tiki Taka. However, in all fairness, it is a lot harder to implement of style of football this progressive and Cruyff will be a testament to that, as he only saw the proper fruits of his labour in 2006 when Barcelona finally went on to win the Champions League, incorporating his philosophy into it. Rodgers has had to use training and motivation to get his teams to play the football that he has always wanted to play.

Training

They say that takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something. In those 10,000 hours, the foundation of what we learn is what we study in the books. The rest comes through practice and we all know that the idiom ‘practice makes perfect’ holds some truth in it. And, when Rodgers asked the Guardian to come down to talk tactics and training with them, it was easy to identify the amount of work that goes into producing the football we love.

Pressure and Retrieving the Ball

swansea-part-1.jpg

How Swansea’s midfield press against the opposition

Before Rodgers even though about bringing about the passing football to the team, he would first have to employ a method of pressing that would hinder the opposition and disrupt their pressing to make sure that the gained the ball almost immediately after they lost it. In training, Rodgers makes a lot of their work about “transition and getting the ball back very quickly”. Rodgers believes that if a bad player is allowed time on the ball, it gives him time to play. If that same time is given to a player with ability, then ‘he can kill you’. The players are trained to work on their positioning while in possession and without possession of the ball. “When we press well, we pass well.” according the manager from Ulster. With Rodgers’ appointment at Liverpool, the first thing he would rectify is the pressing that the team does. In a game against Fulham last season, Liverpool’s pressing was shown up by the first goal they conceded.

liverpools-pressing.jpg

Liverpool played 4-2-3-1 underneath Benitez but the midfielders, Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano and Steven Gerrard became as close-knit as the Swansea players in the earlier photo making for better pressing and making for less space in the midfield.

Keeping Possession

Once Rodgers has sorted the pressing out, he would begin to focus on how the Liverpool players keep the ball away from the opponents and their route to goal. Swansea’s style of attack is very methodical and could even be described as so slow that it allows the opponents to be set in their defensive shape, making it even harder for them to break them down. When Swansea normally have the ball, they have in their defensive third or the middle third of the pitch and this doesn’t really hurt the other team. Rodgers thinks of it as their ‘resting period’ . Liverpool, last season, had very quick transitions from their defence to their midfield and from their midfield to their attack. Stewart Downing, Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Lucas Leiva and Charlie Adam worked well in early parts of the season but the finishing was a problem and so it didn’t work as a whole but only as the transition part of the game. The link to the video below emphasises the difference between Swansea’s attack and Liverpool’s attack. Liverpool’s attack next season will be a lot more like Swansea’s if Rodgers has his way with everything, including the signings.

Swansea’s Attack vs Liverpool’s Attack

Potential Signings

There are some positions that Rodgers would have to improve, especially as he would be changing the formation from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3. There are two places where he’ll be looking to improve. One is in the centre of the park and the other is on the left side of the attack. Not because of a lack in quality, even though there is a distinct void, but because he needs players that play in a particular way.

Jordy Clasie

clasie-1.jpg

‘The Dutch Xavi’
The 2nd best player in the Dutch League, only beaten by Jan Vertonghen, who’s on his way to Tottenham, has set the Eredivisie alight with his passing, positioning, creativity and vision. He has been seen as the Netherlands’ answer to Spain’s Xavi and Italy’s Pirlo. At Swansea, Rodgers entrusted Leon Britton in this role as the regista, the conductor of the team’s tempo and at Liverpool he doesn’t have that type of player. Alberto Aquilani could play that role but his future is still shrouded in mist as no one knows what will happen. If he does leave, then Jordy Claise would be a more than capable replacement. And at a meagre cost of €10 million, he’ll prove to be a hit with the Kop Faithful.

Gaston Ramirez

gaston-ramirez_2570710.jpeg

Bologna’s Uruguayan Playmaker
Liverpool have been heavily linked with Gaston, this season. At Anfield, it seems they want to build a Uruguayan contingent, with Sebastian Coates and Luis Suarez already there. Although Ramirez has played behind the striker, Di Vaio, in Italy, Scott Sinclair was a striker before he played on the wing for Swansea. Ramirez could still provide the creativity that he has given from the trequartista role. He and Suarez would be able to switch wings that will give Liverpool that unpredictability.

How Rodgers may set up his team

rodgers.jpg

In the picture above, the pitch is split into 4 compartments on the pitch. And Rodgers explained in his philosophy that there are 7 blocks. Reina is the first. 2nd is Agger and Skrtel, 3rd is the full backs. Clasie is in a block of himself. Lucas and Gerrard, what Rodgers refers to as attacking midfielders not central midfielders, are the 5th. 6th are the wingers and 7th is Andy Carroll by himself. These blocks are set up to give the player in possession of the ball as much opportunity as possible to pass to a team mate and not lose the ball.

Rodgers = Shankly’s Second Coming?

It is too early to tell whether Rodgers could have the same impact that William Shankly had on the Anfield club. They play the same football. Pass and move to Shankly but ‘Pass and Think’ to Rodgers. Brendan Rodgers is even going away with the Spanish National Team before Euro 2012 to learn more about the Tiki Taka philosophy. And the most important thing about these two men is that when they spoke/speak, we all listened/listen. Shankly had clever quips that we still laud today as being some of the best football quotes ever. Rodgers in a different way. He speaks so much sense that we know that he isn’t winging it. He knows exactly what he is talking about. He is ‘of the bottle’, as he says of himself.

http://aliquamscripto.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/brendan-rodgers-liverpools-shankly-reincarnate/

Boy let's settle down, let's not put him to Shankly's bracket just yet. Potential is only a rumour until the team bring the goods in.

Brendan Rodgers appointment is the first time in my albeit short life time I can say I've honestly felt a little worries by a Liverpool teams potential, I imagine he will bring the best out of players who hav had poor seasons from the last 2-3 years, and maybe even get Aquilani to do something at the club!

Tribute to Dirk Kuyt from Rafa

http://www.rafabenitez.com/web/index.php?act=mostrarContenidos&idioma=in&co=1613

Carra's Euro-2012 preview.....and interesting comments on why Hodgson got
it wrong at Liverpool.
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/carra-s-euro-2012-preview

Obviously he tried during his brief time at Liverpool to introduce the same methods but it didn't work. Naturally, I'm always asked why it went wrong so quickly for Roy at Anfield and it was due to a combination of circumstances.

First and foremost, I must be honest and say he was let down by the attitude of some star players who've since left the club. But it is also fair to say not everyone in the squad bought into his philosophy.

He wasn't perceived as the right type of manager for Liverpool. When Brendan Rodgers was appointed last week he talked about his feeling of Anfield being his 'destination' - revealing it was his ultimate ambition to manage us.

With Roy, it was perceived England was his real 'dream' job and even a move to Liverpool was another step in this journey. Even had he succeeded at Anfield, you felt he would have wanted to eventually accept an England offer later on. Our supporters would never tolerate feeling second best, especially not to England.

Being a successful manager is often about being in the right place at the right time. Roy certainly wasn't that at Liverpool. For his sake, I hope his timing is better for his country.

Last edited:

What a load of bullshit. No wonder why Ive always hated Carragher (or Cancergher as I call him). I hope England perform awfuly in the Euro.

I was keen on Sturridge when it was rumoured he might be involved in the Torres deal. Would be a great acquisition for us but he wouldn't come cheap.

Kalou ... not sure. He's very hit and miss but could be a good deal on a free transfer. Or he could be another Joe Cole.

No idea on Elia, can't remember seeing him play much.

i also wanted him the time Chelsea wanted money + him for Torres..could be very usefull player for Rodger´s style of play on right wing...

not sure about the rest two either, even if i think Kalou would be a decent signing for free...

Sturridge wouldn't make sense, hes potentially a very good player who you would have to pay way over the odds on.

Kalou is crap and you'd be making a mistake similar to the Cole signing. Elia was very good in Holland but hasn't done much for Juventus.

Joseph Musker
Gylfi Sigurdsson will be an #LFC player when the transfer window opens in July, Swansea have admitted defeat in the race to sign him.

and swansea might just get laudrup as manager.its bloody never ending i tell thee......

He can cant he, with 1 year left he can just buy out the remaining value. Must be desperate to not come back, and hopefully for his sake Milan are offering good wages to compensate.

I think he has two year left on his contract. Anyway, we should start building for the future. We are still far from CL spot and i dont think this can change in only one season. We should play a young midfield Lucas - Shelvey - Siggudorson and add young players in other positions.
I would sell/let go Aquilani, Adam, Spearing and Gerrard.

I think he has two year left on his contract. Anyway, we should start building for the future. We are still far from CL spot and i dont think this can change in only one season. We should play a young midfield Lucas - Shelvey - Siggudorson and add young players in other positions.
I would sell/let go Aquilani, Adam, Spearing and Gerrard.

Aquilani should be on his way....rumour is that he is buying out
the rest of his contract on his own.

We need to get rid of Adam, Spearing, Downing, Carroll....
and replace them with 5-6 technical players...

Gerrard & Carra will not go....Rodgers will not be so brave....

Why does everybody thinks we HAVE to sell Spearing? He's a bright lad from the academy and doesn't mean he has to go when he's not playing regularly.

Why does everybody thinks we HAVE to sell Spearing? He's a bright lad from the academy and doesn't mean he has to go when he's not playing regularly.
Because he is not even close to be good enough for Liverpool. I dont care if he is from de academy, he probably isnt even good enough for any team in the Premier League.

Would love the rumours linking us with Milos Krasic to be true. He is irregular, but it is much better than anything we have in the right wing and for 6M is a bargain.

Paolo Bandini ‏@Paolo_Bandini
Corriere dello Sport report Alberto Aquilani has had his contract at #lfc terminated. They expect him to sign as free agent for #AcMilan

Remarkably, Corriere dello Sport report would have it that Aquilani is hoping to get €4m pay-off - as would be big wages saving for #lfc

That Corriere dello Sport report on Aquilani is exactly that - 1 report. Take it with a pinch of salt until confirmed by club/agent. #lfc

FWIW, if true I think it's mad. Aquilani is a good player. Liverpool wages clearly too high, but Rodgers could do worse than give him a go

Problem is #AcMilan seem to be only big suitor for Aquilani + after getting Montolivo in position to play hardball on fees. Want a bargain

If it's true, and WE are paying Aquilani then that's some awful management by FSG.

Back
Top Bottom