Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I've Had Enough!!)

rafa on sky sports,he will talk about the job after the barca bilbao game,has already mentioned istanbul which was 7 years ago today(also my birthday ; ) )
And it is also my birthday ahaha what a coincidence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Dutchman-Louis-van-Gaal-for-senior-role.html

Liverpool oweners Fenway Sports Group sounding out experienced Dutchman Louis van Gaal for senior role

Liverpool have made the first steps towards appointing Louis van Gaal as sporting director after meeting with him in Portugal last week.

There are, though, complications about the compatibility of the Dutchman’s methods with the way Fenway Sports Group is seeking to restructure the club.
Van Gaal has been spending the summer at his house in the Pine Cliffs resort near Albufeira in the Algarve and it is understood that Ian Ayre, the Liverpool managing director, flew out to meet him last week.
There are very few available candidates that possess Van Gaal’s pedigree.
He has been out of work since falling into dispute with Ajax, where he was supposed to be made the new chief executive earlier this season before Johan Cruyff interceded to block the appointment.
While Van Gaal wants to be a head coach or manager, and has had plenty of offers in those positions, he recognises that Liverpool is a unique opportunity for him, even if it means working in a different role.

He has won titles in the Netherlands, Spain and Germany with Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich and wants to test himself in English football.
The difficulties lie in Van Gaal being able to adapt to how Liverpool want their new management structure to work.
The first issue will be how comfortable the new manager would be working with such a powerful and ambitious figure at the same club, especially if it is a young manager like Roberto Martinez.
The Wigan Athletic manager is leading the race to be appointed as Kenny Dalglish’s replacement, having met with John W. Henry, the principal owner, in Miami last week. One of the issues discussed will have been that of the sporting director.

Such is FSG’s admiration for Martinez that, after sacking Damien Comolli in April, they considered approaching him for the role of director of football.
At Wigan he has had a lot of control about the way the club works, including the academy and recruitment, and he will be reluctant to cede too much influence to a sporting director at Liverpool.
Van Gaal has a reputation for setting the highest standards and being forthright to the point of arrogance.
When he was technical director of Ajax in 2004, his demands caused him to fall out with head coach Ronald Koeman. Van Gaal ended up resigning.
Another problem that would need smoothing over is that, in all his previous jobs, Van Gaal has taken a substantial staff with him, made up of coaches and analysts.
It is understood that he would want to bring key people with him to Anfield to help infuse the club with his football philosophy.
Andries Jonker, his former assistant at Bayern, has announced that he will be leaving Munich this summer, giving rise to speculation that he will be joining up with Van Gaal again.
Van Gaal would also want to bring Frans Hoek with him, the innovative goalkeeping coach who Pepe Reina credits with developing his distinctive style at Barcelona.
Liverpool, though, have apparently refused to accept Steve Clarke’s resignation as first team coach and only appointed Kevin Keen as a coach last summer and may seek some continuity in this area.
Then, of course, any new manager is going to want to bring some trusted coaching staff with him.

To add to this complicated picture, FSG are also contemplating appointing a technical director as well as a sporting director.
They felt that Comolli was taking on too much as director of football and went to divide the responsibilities into two jobs.
Pep Segura, the technical manager of the Liverpool academy, is the favourite for the technical director role, although this division could be another source of potential conflict, especially if Van Gaal feels it dilutes his role.
The next step for the owners is to decide, after this initial sounding out, whether to meet with Van Gaal personally and find a way to resolve the issues that his appointment would bring, or whether to look for a candidate who, while not having Van Gaal’s track record, would prove a more straightforward fit for the way they want to run the club.

This seems very complicated, specially with Van Gaal around. Is he THAT difficult to deal with really?

Kenny is manager for the Rest of the World team for Soccer Aid at Old Trafford tommorow

Training pics

PEzT3.jpg

PEzT3.jpg

Team includes Will Ferrell and Ed Norton!

Ni80H.jpg

How will you be trying to scare the England team before the game?

Michael: "What I tend to do is I go to each England player's room and I leave Joe Calzaghe in there, so that when they wake up all they see is him standing over them and that tends to do the trick!"

Kenny Dalglish: "I just show them our team picture."

Pictures don't allow hotlinks but flick through here pics of Kenny with Seedorf & the celebreties at Robbie Williams site

http://www.robbiewilliams.com/photos/gallery/soccer-aid-2012-training

Can't imagine it being Klopp....

It has to be Martinez or Rodgers......

Can't see anyone else working with Van Gaal...

Just hope this power-sharing management structure does not become
a disaster...

Edit:
FSG are going to talk to Rodgers
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-vacancy-left-by-Kenny-Dalglishs-sacking.html

I suspect it will be Rodgers....
Martinez has reservations giving up full control.

Last edited:

Rodgers would commit a serious error if he agreed, not because of Liverpool, but because of Van Gaal.
Van Gaal should be coach, but as a director of football i fear he will be a total disaster...the worst is yet to come for Liverpool.

Im not sure, i know nothing of rodgers, but his team seems to play in a very similar way to AZ under Van gaal. If they agree alot on the football it could work...

FOOTBALL
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins says no approach has been made from Liverpool to speak to manager Brendan Rodgers.

He says reports this morning saying that Rodgers will meet with Liverpool's owners over their vacant managerial position is just "pure speculation".

A statement is also expected later to end the speculation.

i don´t belive nothing untill it´s done...

would be not logical for Klopp to leave Dortmund..it would make no sence for him as coach looking from a neutral view..

Wait Klopp as dof doesn't make any sense why would he change his role of coach
at this point of his career?

Van Gaal I can get behind to some extent cause we need to move away from the
disaster of Comolli. Both Van Gaal and Klopp can or have people that can spot quality
players at a reasonable price. Atleast the buy british policy will be binned.

Hopefully this business will be sorted soon.

LFC Liverpool FC ‏@Liverpool_FC_
Metro - Louis van Gaal says he is joining Liverpool.

Billy Liddell ‏@Liddellpool
Louis van Gaal believes that Liverpool will make an official announcement of his appointment at the club by the end of the week. #LFC

Because they want a young manager who will stay with the club for a number of years and develop with the club. Martinez and Rodgers are linked because of the style of football they play. FSG want that style of football, with Van Gaal coaching them so they improve.

Otherwise you'd have Van Gaal as manager, and he'd leave in a couple of years and we're back to square one. And what DoF would you want above Van Gaal?

The system makes sense to me. Whether the new manager has a personality where they'll get on with Van Gaal is a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Then Van Gaal as Manager with one of them as his assistant and when VG has had enough he can move upstairs Would seem better. Atleast that way both are on the training pitch all the time and get that understanding.

Fair point. Would you see the likes of Martinez and Rodgers wanting to change to being an assistant manager now though?

Well if the plan was outlined like that why not? their basically going from Swansea/Wigan to being groomed long term for Liverpool FC.

Comes back to my idea, train carra for a couple of years whilst Van Gaal sets the club up. Ill check the dutch media to see if those tweet are true

I met him as a kid and have been a fan since.

He's genuinely one of the nicest people around.

Liverpool fans won't give him a chance though. Won't be satisfied until Rafa comes back and gets as close to the title as Dalglish did this season.

The only way Liverpool fans will keep quiet is if Rafa goes on to
manage another club......as long as he is hovering around...
the fans will want him back at the first run of bad results..

I personally hope we get Martinez.....he has a lot of potential
and I like his footballing philosophy......

I personally feel the move for Van Gaal can be a problem....unless
he is the manager.......

hopefully at the end of this week, the confusion will be cleared up.

LFC Liverpool FC ‏@Liverpool_FC_
Metro - Louis van Gaal says he is joining Liverpool.

Billy Liddell ‏@Liddellpool
Louis van Gaal believes that Liverpool will make an official announcement of his appointment at the club by the end of the week. #LFC
That is the end for Carroll then and hopefully also all the tumours Dalglish brought with him.
Im excited about the prospect of having Van Gaal as a DOF, he is probably going to bring all his staff too, Ive always been a fan of his philosophy. Though is true that we should ve concerns about his relationship with the manager, he has had problems in the past.

Last edited:

Odd on Rodgers plummeting this morning. And this just posted:

richard askam ‏@richaskam
Have very good info Liverpool closing in on deal with Brendan Rodgers.#lfc

(Sports Reporter/Presenter BBC TV. North West Tonight , News Channel & BBC Sport. All views my own)

so now we have rumours that our manager (Martinez or Rodgers) will have to work together with van Gaal? how is this partnership going to work out? what do you think guys?

I hope the next manager will work closely with our DOF..and hopefully they have similar ideas... i just want to start looking forward to next season already....or summer transfer window...

again we will not make any deals before EURO and after that the prices of best players will be even higher...

I've seen a few people suggesting Martinez was offered the DoF job and that's why he wanted until today to think it over.

So it could be Martinez as DoF, Rodgers as manager.

i´m surprised.. do you think Rodgers will want him as DOF? i mean he appears as a coach who knows his players...he did fantastic job with Swansea...

i feel sorry for Swansea fans if they lost him..

he would be most reasonable choice, but still it´s just one season in PL that he´s been succesfull...

You never know how two people will get on, they could be a great pairing or couldn't see eye to eye.

Obviously this is just me chatting away but you think maybe Martinez was offered DoF and told he'd be working with Rodgers. He has until Tuesday to decide. Tuesday comes, Martinez arrives back in the UK, odds on Rodgers start to plummet and Martinez is due to speak to the owners again. It does kind of add up.

I would have thought he would have been a better fit with Van Gaal. Van Gaal has the clout and experience to take upper level decisions and Rodgers seems to have the same footballing style as Van Gaal so can learn from him aswell.

Although from what I've read it's the DoF that will be the key position and that the coaches will be far more easily removed from the job. Maybe that's the reason for Martinez, that he has years and years ahead of him and can stay at the club for a long time, whereas Van Gaal will maybe want 3 to 5 years max.

Back
Top Bottom