Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I've Had Enough!!)

I like Martinez a lot, and really think he deserves a shot at a bigger club than Wigan.

But surely Liverpool is too big? The egos of both their players and, perhaps more importantly, their fanbase is such that anything short of a club legend (Daglish) a perceived messiah (Benitez) or true world class (Capello) will probably end up failing.

If I were an aspiring young manager like Martinez I'd stay well away from Anfield. There are other opportunities that won't be nearly as horrible.

I like Martinez a lot, and really think he deserves a shot at a bigger club than Wigan.

But surely Liverpool is too big? The egos of both their players and, perhaps more importantly, their fanbase is such that anything short of a club legend (Daglish) a perceived messiah (Benitez) or true world class (Capello) will probably end up failing.

If I were an aspiring young manager like Martinez I'd stay well away from Anfield. There are other opportunities that won't be nearly as horrible.

I kinda agree......he may be better off at a team like Villa
where he would be welcomed......and he may actually do really
well there......

The funny thing is Liverpool probably need a manager like Rafa
or Van Gaal or Capello...someone who can deal with bigger names...

I don't think the fans want a young upcoming manager with limited
experience....and the pressure will be intense from day 1....
not the right environment for a manager unless he is very successful
like Guardiola was at FCB.....

So I think FSG need to scrap this search for a young manager with
a Director hovering over him.....
and just go for Van Gaal / Rafa / Capello as manager ....give them
total power over footballing matters........the fans will be happy...
there is lower risk of failure......

But the problem is these bigger managers need bigger transfer funds
and full control over signings....

And FSG don't want to spend too much money....and want control
to be spread across manager, director, etc.....

Seems like a lousy situation.....the only way out is some naive
young manager to come and take the job.....
Let's see if Martinez or some one else buys the bait.

Last edited:

Agree, if they do want to go down that route then it would need someone from inside the club, for example if Carra had been a coach the past 2 years and would want to learn from Van Gaal. Or maybe even without and Van Gaal being the manager for the next 2 years and training Carra, Hyppia, etc. to take over. Then it would seem more feasible. It would be a better situation, imo. A kind of reboot of the Boot Room principle.

But adding a new dominant DoF and a new manager/coach who is used to calling the shots will be tough. I guess it would seem that either its a big name DoF and a small name manager, or the other way round that would be a decent match.

They should get a Arsene Who? sort, from a non-European league. So, at least the scrutiny of his past won`t haunt him.

Atr92G_CQAAJm4l.jpg:large

Looks like its going to be Martinez then.

Why? Because he's being interviewed? If only I got every job that I managed to get an interview for! ;)

The common belief is that there's 2-3 people who will be interviewed, and Martinez is just the first. Some suggesting FSG due to come to England next week for another interview.

Dave Whelan now saying Martinez has been offered the job and will speak to FSG again on Tuesday. Martinez wants full "football" control though, which is a sticking point.

Never have I known someone want to be in the media more than Whelan, he makes Redknapp look shy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Why? Because he's being interviewed? If only I got every job that I managed to get an interview for! ;)

The common belief is that there's 2-3 people who will be interviewed, and Martinez is just the first. Some suggesting FSG due to come to England next week for another interview.

It's a bit different in football though! What other names are in the fold? it seems to me a few have turned down the job and Martinez is the only one whose 'talks' have progressed.

It's a bit different in football though! What other names are in the fold? it seems to me a few have turned down the job and Martinez is the only one whose 'talks' have progressed.

Rodgers and AVB still around, FSG supposedly flying over here next week to meet with someone. But then with Motormouth Whelan spouting out, it does seem like FSG are content with Martinez.

I guess it depends on whether FSG give control to Martinez. They can't come out saying this new structure is in place and transfers will be made by someone else, then Martinez comes in for an interview and FSG revise their whole plan.

But then what do I know? Who'd have thought Martinez would be in with the chance to manage Liverpool if you were asked a few months ago? I wouldn't imagine many people would have him on their shortlist.

I like Martinez, I like how he comes across, I like his style of football. But he MUST hit the ground running. Liverpool fans are hardly excited by him, a good number are pretty angry. Despite saying they'll "support" him if he does become the manager, they'll be right on his back when we suffer a dip in form. If he's not got us in the top 6 consistently by Christmas, it could be a nightmare with fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Martinez as a person and think what he did with Wigan was admirable.

But there's no excusing the terrible results they've had over the last 2 years.

It's a big risk.

Moses will sweeten the deal for me :)

Martinez is a big risk but honestly in this job nothing is certain..

i´m confident it will be Martinez in the end as well... maybe there will be a surprise, who knows..

Times Sport ‏@TimesSport
Confusion reigns as sources close to FSG deny claims by Dave Whelan that #lfc have offered Roberto Martinez manager's job at Anfield #wafc

I won't be surprised if there are other candidates....
but maybe there are'nt any....given so many people
are ruling themselves out.....
and that FSG want a young manager who can work with a Director
and have limited control over transfers.

I think Martinez, if he is given the chance and the time....
can be a success...

But this is not a foregone conclusion....Martinez is keen on wanting
full control over transfers....and FSG want the Director to manage
that......so nothing is guaranteed yet.

Martinez doesn't seem to have been offered the job, with suggestions that Whelan is trying to keep Martinez's name in the media and trying to increase compensation.

Ian Abrahams (Moose_talkSPORT)
Hearing a lot of sstuff regarding Liverpool FC and their new manager - I am now being lead to believe it will happen on Monday and my source is 80% the Liverpool manager will be Klopp not Martinez.

Why would he leave Dortmund? They're the champions, they're in the CL and they have an amazing squad that he built?

rafa on sky sports,he will talk about the job after the barca bilbao game,has already mentioned istanbul which was 7 years ago today(also my birthday ; ) )

I'd enjoy Rafa to return, would add some spice + comedy gold for the following season :D

Ian Abrahams (Moose_talkSPORT)
Hearing a lot of sstuff regarding Liverpool FC and their new manager - I am now being lead to believe it will happen on Monday and my source is 80% the Liverpool manager will be Klopp not Martinez.

Which source tells you that it will be Klopp the new manager??
Thought he turned down the Liverpool job earlier this month, and there is no reason why he would leave Dortmund for Liverpool unless he's offered a lucrative contract or has been a Liverpool fan which I doubt.

Am I the only one who thinks Martinez could be a hit at Anfield, because Wigan's sole purpose every season is to avoid relegation and with those mediocre players Wigan has, Martinez couldn't do much better.

Tony Barrett suggesting Rodgers is still a main choice, with van Marwijk and Low also being considered.

Back
Top Bottom