Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I've Had Enough!!)

I figure a few people don't use Twitter (for some odd reason), and most news stories break there before hitting websites so it's worth pasting info in here for people. Also some good articles etc.

Do any of you listen to "The Anfield Wrap" podcast? Just listening to the latest one and it's a very good listen so far, some ver good points and discussion regarding the manager situation.

Thanks Dags...for the "Anfield wrap".....interesting stuff...

AVB seems like the favorite......but who knows.

If Roberto Di Matteo does not get the Chelsea job...

I think we should seriously consider him....

He is tactically astute.....does play attacking football if needed..
good counter-attack....defensive if needed...
won a major trophy......

He has great man-management...taking a dying Chelsea team
with 67% wins in the league....and winning 2 major trophies
from the point where everyone had written them off...

His football at WBA was pretty attack-minded...

He is young and upcoming coach.....with a great playing career
as well so he is respected in the game too.

Kim Jong-un is best option available for those who want Liverpool to take the 4th spot next season lol

If .... does not get the .... job...

I think we should seriously consider him....

He is tactically astute.....does play attacking football if needed..
good counter-attack....defensive if needed...

He has great man-management...taking a dying Liverpool team
with 67% wins in the league....from the point where everyone had written them off...

His football was always pretty attack-minded...

He is a succesfull and experienced coach.....with a great playing career
as well so he is respected in the game too.

Sounds like 18 months ago. You do realise that he has been less succesfull in the league than AVB was with a team that didn't want to play for him?! Kenny set Liverpool up defensively with 3cb's at Chelsea to win and everyone was saying the same thing.

Parking the bus for 300min. with the opposition missing chance after chance, hitting the posts and both missing penalties isn't tactically astute. It's bloody lucky! The same in the FA Cup (although they did deserve the win imo) it was a hairline save that kept them in the game when they were on the ropes and looked to be losing to what was a very very poor Liverpool team which a dinosaur manager who didn't have tactical flexibility at the top level. With both of their goals coming from defensive mistakes.

As for his WBA, he wasn't tactically astute enough to adjust their tactics to not concede as many and survive the EPL.

Yes, he looks like a great coach.........he wears a good suit. I'd rather have Martinez tbh. The only thing Di Matteo did, imo, is galvanise the players and just play them in their positions and let the players decide how they wanted to play. I haven't seen anything that suggests he is a top coach or tactically advanced.

And before people start going on that Benitez parked the bus in the CL aswell, the difference is that the team completely sufficated the opposition and restricted them to maybe one or two chances. That's tactically astute.

Last edited:

Chelsea's CL triumph was about much more than luck, tik....
Napoli, Benfica, Barcelona and Bayern all had weak matches against Chelsea. That is seven matches and 1 hour prolongations. It's impossible that this CL win was only the result of luck.

The fact that you spontaneously mentioned Liverpool under Benitez is very telling. Liverpool's come back against Milan was also a lucky escape, same as Man Utd come back against Bayern. Those 3 English clubs can replay their matches a dozen times, never will they win it, never... Does that mean that they don't have merits? Not at all, all 3 wins are fantastic.

You can be lucky for one match, but not for seven. Chelsea win is as big an achievement as Liverpool's win and Man Utd win from a neutral point of view. Of course every fan will say that his club's triumph is the biggest, but that is bullshit.

In the end, the only thing that counts is winning. And that is what those 3 clubs did. In 30 years nobody will remember the fact that each and every time the opponents were the better team.

i think Di Matteo spell at Chelsea is the same effect as Dalglish post Hodgson spell at Liverpool...he turned things around 360°..

about Aquilani, no matter what player returns it means nothing untill we know if our next manager thinks of them...that goes for Cole as well..

i would welcome them both, becouse i think they are better than some in our current squad...

Milan won't be signing Aquilani - seems like he'll be back at Anfield this summer.

Adam Digby ‏@Adz77
Milan V-P Adriano Galliani says they will look to strike a deal with #Lfc for Alberto Aquilani in July after not triggering automatic clause

:(

I'd like Aquilani to stay.

In the Italian version, he actually says we wont pay the £6m in the clause, but we'd be happy to discuss with Liverpool later in the summer if they're willing to lower the price. I still think it's unlikely that we'd make an offer, knowing our money-saving tactics this summer.

In the Italian version, he actually says we wont pay the £6m in the clause, but we'd be happy to discuss with Liverpool later in the summer if they're willing to lower the price. I still think it's unlikely that we'd make an offer, knowing our money-saving tactics this summer.

Lower it even more?! Crazy fool, £6m is already a bargain!

Chelsea's CL triumph was about much more than luck, tik....
Napoli, Benfica, Barcelona and Bayern all had weak matches against Chelsea. That is seven matches and 1 hour prolongations. It's impossible that this CL win was only the result of luck.

The fact that you spontaneously mentioned Liverpool under Benitez is very telling. Liverpool's come back against Milan was also a lucky escape, same as Man Utd come back against Bayern. Those 3 English clubs can replay their matches a dozen times, never will they win it, never... Does that mean that they don't have merits? Not at all, all 3 wins are fantastic.

You can be lucky for one match, but not for seven. Chelsea win is as big an achievement as Liverpool's win and Man Utd win from a neutral point of view. Of course every fan will say that his club's triumph is the biggest, but that is bullshit.

In the end, the only thing that counts is winning. And that is what those 3 clubs did. In 30 years nobody will remember the fact that each and every time the opponents were the better team.

Agree, but my point wasnt about chelsea, but a response to the so called tactical astuteness Di Matteo has shown. As I said, parking the bus AND giving away so many chances isn't good. That's why I highlighted the Benitez teams as they went to Barca and stopped them even having a single good chance, as they did to quiet a few teams including mourinho's chelsea, juventus, inter, etc. Chelsea won the CL based on the amazing efforts of the players and some fortune along the way. However i completely disagree that it was in large part down to tactical quality. As you said yourself, strenghting my point, that if those games would have been played again Chelsea would nearly always end up losing, which means the tactics were flawed. Watching Liverpool with Benitez you always got the impression that it didnt matter if a match was 90 or 190min teams just wouldnt get through. The 2005 final being an obvious exception.

The latest comments from AVB's agent sounds like he would want to come to Liverpool, unless it's a comment about transfer budget.

Yeah, but his performances have been nothing special - which is sad really, it sort of says something about his development as a player.

Nocerino was £500k and he was our 2nd top scorer and now plays for Italy - with a contract that's a fraction of Aquilani's - we also picked up Montolivo and Toure (a different one) for free, so it's likely that we simply don't need another midfielder that's good at passing. He might be more of a luxury squad player.

The latest comments from AVB's agent sounds like he would want to come to Liverpool, unless it's a comment about transfer budget.

Which comments?

He seems to be the major favourite to get the job now, with Van Gaal above him in a DoF kind of role. Should be fun if Van Gaal joins.

Lol I can already see van Gaal and Villas-boas not getting along if that was to happen.

Come to think of it, there isn't too many people van Gaal would get along with. He's the type of guy who needs to be 'in charge'.

Out for a walk in Moscow. Here a pic with Coates. Getting ready for friday's match!

181220_436070829751324_167866666571743_1446866_971861065_n.jpg

AVB is not on Liverpool's list at the moment...from the Guardian
Not even approached....

Let's see what happens....I suspect it will be Martinez/Rogers
as manager and Van Gaal as Director/backup.

Last edited:

It definitely will not be Rogers. He has said no and has committed to us for next season at least.

He's apparently only said to having an interview but would accept the job if offered. Still a possibility, it seems.

If Van Gaal is going to take the role at the club, he might already be having a say in the new manager. That could explain AVB now being ruled out.

My friends, you will not lik this and i hope i'm wrong, but with Van Gaal as football director and under him a manager, i smell disaster. This could well turn out to be worse that Hodgson and Dalglish combined.
I try to explain myself.
Van Gaal has done wonderfull things, but he isn't the easiest human being.
On top of that Van Gaal is a typical teacher. He is at his best with young players (Ajax, AZ). On the training pitch he endlessly retakes some drills and teaches his players what to do.

Knowing this, i don't see this guy functioning with a manager under him who will decide about tactics, who does the training...I'm afraid that after a couple of weeks there will be huge frictions between Van Gaal and his manager...

Could be wrong of course, but this does not seem the best solution to me.

Don't really know why you need a director of football anyway.

Just let the manager do his job without any distractions.

Agree with Gerd. Everything I know about Van Gaal from the dutch media portrays him as a very dominant person who isnt afraid to have a fight with whoever. If he is the director it makes you wonder who the coach would be, as he would ahve to wholeheartedly follow Van Gaals principles. The lesser the name the potentially better.

Seems like there is no guarantee that even Martinez will want
the job.....just heard the Wigan chairman say that Martinez
would want full control of footballing matters....
and FSG don't want the manager to have that...

Van Gaal prefers the manager role...so not sure if even he will
come since FSG prefer him as Director....

Back
Top Bottom