Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread

Vicente hasn't actually signed the 5 year contract extension - it was only talked about. He will be a free agent come the end of this season.

Rafa isn't too happy with Kewell's attitude - he rates him as a player and thinks he is good enough for what he wants LFC to do - though he will not tolerate his poor attitude for much longer.

Warnock is learning and getting better all the time - obviously he needs experience against the big teams in pressure situations, which is good as he'll be certainly getting the opportunites soon.

Rafa has stated before that he would have liked a couple of more players before the end of the transfer window at the start of the season - but money and time were against him. Come January expect to see a few players leave, and certainly a few join the ranks.

Personally, I'm glad we are beating teams like WBA, Norwich and City at home - afterall these are the type of teams which have cost us so many points over the past 10 years - especially at Anfield where teams have sat back with 10 men behind the ball and looked to sneak a goal, that ploy has worked all too well - now it looks like that may be a thing of the past as we offer variety in our attacking play at home.

Certainly our away record this seaon does need bettering - though it is still early days. A point vs Chelsea on Sunday would go down quite well and may serve to boost confidence in our players for performing in away games.

C'mon the RedMen.

mathewsss said:
Hard to believe Valencia would let him go for so less.
If he does come here, it would be amazing.
I agree that Kewell needs some stern competition.

he needs a good kick up the arse, Australian bastard

Im sick to death of seeing Kewell under-achieving, when the fuck will he get his finger out and start playing like a professional

if we'd of payed more than £5m for me, i'd be going fucking mental

edit: oh yes, and all these manc bastards that post here...I hate you're guts, you horrible little things

Spot the difference!

Who can spot the difference? I can`t. The way L`pool play, I mean :lol:

profile.jpg
profile.jpg

Yeah, i thought it was a poor, poor game today. Admitedly that was partly because of how well organised chelsea are, but the 'pool really are looking bad at the moment.

I wasnt gonna post last night coz I couldnt come up with anything productive to say but all I can manage now is fucking rubbish. Drop Kewell and get somebody on that wing who can actually keep the ball and run with it when needed

No shape, no nothing, we've got this Jekyl & Hyde attitude away from home nobody seems to want the ball. How bad were Alonso's set-pieces yesterday? And yes i'm mainly sick of seeing opposition left-sided players playing well for their side and Kewell not doing shit.

Benitez needs to drop this zonal marking, yet another goal conceaded by set-piece.

Yeah but look how well we did all game with the set pieces though?

That set piece suprised us all, even everybody watching, so IMO, you can't blame the zonal marking for the goal yesterday, because we defended well on all other set pieces

I don't know why people expect miracles in the first few months of the season.
I think the progress in Away matches will be slow and gradual.
Rafa has got us playing really well at home, something Houllier could not manage.
This was the first step in moving away from the Houllier era.
Houllier specialized in the counter-attacking game for the Away matches.
The players will slowly get the balance right in the Away matches.

I think if Rafa is given the time and money (which he will get), then we will see
a definite improvement.

People can make fun of Liverpool all they want, without realizing that we had a shite
system which is embedded in the players' mindset from the Houllier era.
It takes time to build a great team, especially when we don't have the Money to compete
with Chelsea or Man U.
Mourinho has had it easy by being able to spend millions on players
and having inherited a great squad of players who were far better than Houllier's Liverpool.

So it's not really fair on Rafa to keep comparing his current team to the top 3 teams.
Give him time, mark my words,
those who criticize him now will be eating their own words in the future.

I dont think its people criticising him to be fair, well i wasnt, just the performance . . .

Well said mathewsss,

Add to that, when Benitez came to replace the previous Valencia manager (was it Hector Cuper? :eh:), people were writing off Valencia due to their bad first year. But it soon picked up and within two years, they were a force again.

I just hope the same happens to our 'Pool

rockykabir said:
Well said mathewsss,

Add to that, when Benitez came to replace the previous Valencia manager (was it Hector Cuper? :eh:), people were writing off Valencia due to their bad first year. But it soon picked up and within two years, they were a force again.

I just hope the same happens to our 'Pool

Actually you're partially correct.
When Benitez took charge of Valencia, they initially were not getting the results,
and the media slagged them off.
But they won La Liga in that very season. (his 1st season in charge)
The next season they finished 5th I think, but reached the CL quarters.
In his 3rd season, they won La Liga again, with the UEFA cup.

thanks for the correction mate - I was lucky I didn't bring this up with my Man U mates, otherwise they would have destroyed my shit talkin ass by now ;) :mrgreen:

Anyways, I reckon Benitez's approaching it the right way - he's streamlined the squad by getting rid of these so-called world class signings and brought in some good spanish players. I do somewhat feel though that he didn't achieve all he wanted in the summer transfer window as the squad is a bit too streamlined...... :eh:

But hopefully after a good few signings come January and a relatively good finish (there's no way we'll win the league and/or Champs league this year), I want to be in a position this time next year where we can talk realistically about havin a shot at glory [-o<

danwin said:
Yep, three more points tomorrow hopefully. The team looks quite solid without Gerrard, perhaps we work better as a unit without him, fanastic player he is but his running can leave the team a bit stretched. Would be nice to get a win tomorrow and start building some consistency, something that has been lacking for many a year! Come on you REDMEN!!!
I said this would come back and haunt ya! 8)

\\:D/ [-o<

Football365 said:
Reds back for Morientes
Tuesday October 12 2004

Rafael Benitez is reportedly lining up a fresh bid for Fernando Morientes as he looks to strengthen his attacking options in the January transfer window.

The Liverpool manager tried to sign the Real Madrid star this summer but was thwarted when the striker handed his support to Jose Camacho in his first season at the Bernabeu.

Camacho's abrupt departure as Madrid coach has cast doubt on Morientes's long-term future and according to The Sun, Liverpool are ready to test whether his resolve has been weakened by the managerial upheaval.

Michael Owen has been repeatedly linked with a return to Anfield in the transfer window, even though Fifa rules prevent such a move until next summer.

Benitez, however, remains anxious to improve his weakened attack and sees the experienced Spanish international as an ideal addition with Djibril Cisse and Milan Baros struggling to make an impact and only Florent Sinama-Pongolle in support.

Speaking last month Benitez, who also wanted to lure Jonathan Woodgate to Anfield, revealed: "I wanted Morientes as part of the Owen deal but he had given his word to Camacho to stay and he kept it."

Last edited:

Yeah i saw that on Footy365 earlier. I havent really seen much of Morientes, is he the kind of player that Liverpool could use to have a more methodical approach to their attacks, or is he in the same ilk as Baros/Cisse?

CWright said:
Should have bought him in the Summer
Yes, it would have been ideal but I think the departure of Owen was not anticipated by anyone. But in a way, these past few months have given Benitez a better insight into the requirements of the squad. Morientes or Mista would be perfect IMO.

I hope Benitez has got a winger up his sleeves as well.....

rockykabir said:
Yes, it would have been ideal but I think the departure of Owen was not anticipated by anyone. But in a way, these past few months have given Benitez a better insight into the requirements of the squad. Morientes or Mista would be perfect IMO.

He should have known that we dont really have a huge amount of strikers, 3 recognised strikers if I recall correctly plus a couple of players who can play in the hole.

Oh and Smicer.

rockykabir said:

I would love to see Vicente at Anfield. . . but doubt that would happen right now.

From what I've seen, Morientes is not a striker who just lives on the shoulder of the last defender.
He has a bit more to his game, plus the fact that he's a great finisher.
I think we should get him and Vicente.
But a tough commanding central defender is also needed.

It has been reported they we could be interested come january for Wes Brown, wouldn't be a bad signing on the cheap especially if he could stay fit.

And why isn't ITV showing the Pool - Depor game, geez they really do rim Manure.

Sabac Red said:
And why isn't ITV showing the Pool - Depor game, geez they really do rim Manure.

They do indeed, apparently everyone wants to watch Man Yoo and nobody wants to watch us which is why we get bumped to either ITV2 or one of the 52 games they show on Sky

Sabac Red said:

lol lfc dont sell out their home CL games...

so why would we wanna watch kopshite if kopshite dont wanna watch kopshite??

Unbe-fucking-leivable. From a shitty first half to a half time change that saw Diao come off and Alonso come on and a Pool win. Wonder what the difference was ;)

Benitez effects the club alot teaches Liverpool to play the "win back" foot ball.

Back
Top Bottom