Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I've Had Enough!!)

I think far too many people are writing Gerrard out too early. He's been injured for AGES and he needs time to come back.

I've said it time and time again though, you'll only see the best of him up top, he is NOT a central/defensive midfielder. He's creative, speculative and can surge through a defence/make late runs to perfection.

I'm a United fan so have that inherent bias, but Gerrard was one of the best midfielders in the world 6/7 years ago. Real were sniffing around at the same time as Chelsea.

When Keano was retiring he was the only player in the prem that could have replaced him. Obviously he'd never of moved to United, but that was pre-Glazers and we could actually try to sign big players and a lot of us thought a cheeky bid would be in order.

Im probably biased also but Gerrard was never and I mean never a great centre midfielder, Sure at times like that most people thought and looked at his potential and expected him to become one but it never happened, he was a great player but never a great midfielder and flourished as an Second Striker or a attacking midfielder with two sitters.

Agree %100 with gerd on Steve g.... Guy goes missing for matches at
Time... No doubt he had power pace and counter attacking brilliance at times. But for me just seemed to go missing in games, not all, but enough to notice more then I would scholes. But he is not comparable to scholes or xavi at all. seems to me he played the maradona role best ,that Diego had at Napoli. Let him roam the field and let other players make up for this freedom, for example masherano and Alonso.

I have to agree with Gerd's positions. Although he is a very good player, I do think he has been very overrated over this last few years. I haven't seen him play 3 good games in a row since season 2008/2009. I also believe that his positioning is weak for him to be a central midfielder, his creativity is not that great neither. He needs to have a very creative player in the team (last Rafa season is the best example of this, a season in which his atittude and play was awful).

This thread makes me laugh hard. None of you have a clue. I can only assume you are mostly teenagers.

I don't think i have every commented in here and won't again but i will say this, FSG have a long term plan and it is sound. Steven Gerrard is the best midfield player of his generation and the best ever Liverpool player. Kenny joined the European Champions as a player and the team stayed at the top throughout his playing carreer. Steven Gerrard has carried the club single handedly at times. Any supposed Liverpool fan here who criticises him knows nothing.

You have to look at the BIG picture boys, not just judge FSG and Kenny's return as manager over just one year. We're playing great overall, just needed a goalscorer at the right time. I personally think Torres could have got 20 goals by now in this side if he had stayed, but he wanted to go so let him.

I don't care if any of you disagree with me, I know you will because criticising is easier to do than praise and look at positives. I most likely won't even come back to this thread but....the reds are coming back up the hill....

This thread makes me laugh hard. None of you have a clue. I can only assume you are mostly teenagers.

I don't think i have every commented in here and won't again but i will say this, FSG have a long term plan and it is sound. Steven Gerrard is the best midfield player of his generation and the best ever Liverpool player. Kenny joined the European Champions as a player and the team stayed at the top throughout his playing carreer. Steven Gerrard has carried the club single handedly at times. Any supposed Liverpool fan here who criticises him knows nothing.

You have to look at the BIG picture boys, not just judge FSG and Kenny's return as manager over just one year. We're playing great overall, just needed a goalscorer at the right time. I personally think Torres could have got 20 goals by now in this side if he had stayed, but he wanted to go so let him.

I don't care if any of you disagree with me, I know you will because criticising is easier to do than praise and look at positives. I most likely won't even come back to this thread but....the reds are coming back up the hill....

Gerrard best Liverpool player ever?! He's good but there have been better!... and I'm no teenager.

I would like to be a teenager son, but i'm years old.

Some people here will think i'm a WUM, but what the hell. Yesterday i heard about an intriguing stat.
You guys know which outside the top has the best away record in the EPL this season?

WBA.

You all know who their manager is.
I remember last season when people said that Hodgson was a bad manager because he could't take points in away games with neither Fulham or Liverpool.

About Gerrard: i'm glad that there are some people who do agree with me. The genius of Raffa's Liverpool was Xabi Alonso (just like Lucas he wasn't appreciated enough).

The argument is always that Hodgson couldn't handle Liverpool. I actually think the opposite is true - Liverpool couldn't handle Hodgson. The players and fans viewed him as too 'small time' for their club, and so never gave in to his methods - which have been shown time and time again to work.

Anyway, done is done - he seems happy enough at West Brom.

and so never gave in to his methods - which have been shown time and time again to work.

Indeed, from the bright lights of somewhere or other over in Scandinavia to midtable safety with Fulham and WBA. It really reads like a who's who of world class teams.

Makes you wonder why Roman hasn't called him yet to win Chelsea the CL, after all, he's doing better then Di Matteo did at WBA.

Comparing Gerrard to Xavi or Giggs or Scholes
is not fair on either players...
since they are different.

I think Rafa was the only manager who figured out where
to get the most out of Gerrard....and that was as an advanced free
attacking midfielder.

Giggs is best as a winger....
Xavi best as a playmaker
Same with Scholes...

Even Zidane once praised Gerrard as one of the best if I remember...

I think Gerrard between 2005-09 was one of the best goal-scoring
midfielders in the world....

But he is overrated as a playmaker or defensive midfielder or winger..
because he is not any of those...
And he is definitely not the player he was few years ago......
and I think where some people don't fancy him is because he always tries
extravagant things...like hollywood passes... and is not tactically very smart
.whereas the players like Xavi/Scholes
do the simple things superbly and are also very attack-minded.

The term midfielder is too generic....and should not really be used.

Regarding Hodgson....I feel he is a good manager who can take smaller
unfancied teams and get them to play at their maximum potential...
where there are no "big" players who can fit into his style of play
which to be honest will not fly with top-4 teams...who want a more
expansive style...Hodgson's teams are known to lie deep in defense
and are heavy on shape ...and also decent in attack.

Last edited:

Tik, i don't share your sarcasm.
I'll give another statistic (and i know the value of statistics, you can prove everything and nothing with statistics).
But anyway.
Before the match against Everton, Dalglish had in his 20 matches precisely one point more than Hodgson in the period he was Liverpool's manager (could also have been 21 matches). The point is that there is as much reason to be infuriated with Dalglish as with Hodgson, but people aren't because he is Dalglish.
Am i saying that Liverpool should sack Dalglish? No.
I'm saying that Dalglish gets the credit Hodgson never had. Does he deserve it more than Hodgson based on what he did as current Liverpool manager? No.

And i know what the fans will say, Hodgson's communication was disastrous. As an objective neutral, i don't think Dalglish communication is better. last season Dalglish did a pretty good job when he took over. Liverpool played some very attractive football. But now their football is dire...

For the most part Liverpool's football has been very similar to last seasons when Dalglish was in charge. Obviously they haven't managed to maintain that in every game, and have been poor at finishing which has made results poor in general. However whereas Liverpool performed equally or in most case worse than their opponents with Hodgson in charge, so far with Dalglish they have mostly been the dominant team whoever their opponent has been. Which makes shocking matches like the Sunderland one all the more annoying.

But having seen nearly every match for the past few years there is a huge difference in play and phylosophy about the team. It may not be a popular opinion, as apparently these days your last game is the be all and end all to form any opinions on a football team, but Liverpool have improved since the last season with Rafa and the spell with Hodgson.

As for whether Dalglish deserves more credit than Hodgson, yes he does, simply by making the club a whole and having the team play good football most of the time. The team is developing, sadly not as fast as most of us would want, but they are developing none the less and its looking like there will be a positive future. Hopefully a couple of good signings will be made in the summer, which is a point that Dalglish and Comolli can be critised on, and the team will be stronger.

The argument is always that Hodgson couldn't handle Liverpool. I actually think the opposite is true - Liverpool couldn't handle Hodgson. The players and fans viewed him as too 'small time' for their club, and so never gave in to his methods - which have been shown time and time again to work.

Anyway, done is done - he seems happy enough at West Brom.

Hodgson didn´t helped the situation himself as well with his comments, remarks and player moves in and out...

he did said some stupid things that many fans were feeling ashamed for..in fact he view himself over anything at the club and the players like Torres refused to stay and play under him...Reina´s move to Arsenal was canceled by the club, but he also gave up on Hodgson..

the mood in team under Hodgson and now is the oposite..

The photo did remind me of:

pandtbg6j8i.jpg

:P

..well thy can´t be all handsome maybe as Rooney for example.. :LMAO:

:LOL:

Lineup against Stoke:

---------------------------- Reina

Johnson -------- Carra -------- Skrtel -------- Enrique

-------------------------- Spearing

------- Maxi ------------- Gerrard -------- Downing ----

---------------- Suarez ---------- Carroll ----------------

nice to see maxi getting a game. he usually links up well with Suarez, Bellamy.

so should see some nice link up between maxi, gerrard and suarez today...

What nobody said in this thread: during the midweek match Moyes rested 6 (SIX) first team players...that puts things a litle bit in perspective...

Anyway, i hope Liverpool beat Stoke. Nice to see Maxi starting again.

I think a 23 y.o. collapsing during a match and his hart not beating by itself for 2 hours puts the b#llsh!t in this thread into perspective.

nice to see maxi getting a game. he usually links up well with Suarez, Bellamy.

so should see some nice link up between maxi, gerrard and suarez today...

Yes...it was nice to se..

Two top goals....both well worked with 1-2 passing...

Happy for Downing...he played decently...so did Suarez and Spearing...

We are in the semi-final vs Everton/Sunderland....

Hope we get Everton.....that would be a fantastic match.

Yes....what happened to Muamba puts life into perspective....
pray that he gets better.

What nobody said in this thread: during the midweek match Moyes rested 6 (SIX) first team players...that puts things a litle bit in perspective...

Anyway, i hope Liverpool beat Stoke. Nice to see Maxi starting again.

who were this players exactly..? i think we played a strong Everton team tbh..

only player missing in my mind was Cahill..

The fact that Moyes came under fire from both Everton fans and the Fa for the team he fielded against Liverpool says enough Pipa, stop deluding yourself.

But yes, considering that a 23 year old is fighting for his life puts this in perspective. I agree with tik. I should not have posted that, it could be seen as a provocation. How long are we going to use the Muambe incident to put things in perspective and to stifle all kinds of posts who aren't full of adoration for football clubs? What happens to Muamba puts life in perspective...compared to tragedies like that everything is futile.

Maybe i should do what Ben did last time he posted here: use disclaimers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom