Liverpool Thread

Re: Liverpool Thread(I've Had Enough!!)

i thought Carroll had very good game tonight.. i would try to play Suarez - Carroll from beginning at least next 10 games to say he need to be sold...

Gerrard CAN do this in every game, he just needs to play more up as he did in his Torres partnership, he is not a player to play deep, he is to much talented for that.. in past games he had to play as CM in 442, tonight he was more attacking, with Spearing + Henderson doing the back up job very well... our midfield looks more fluent without Adam...just my opinion.

I agree one win don´t mean a lot, but it´s not like we played shit before all the games to be where we are, we just didn´t scored from many oportunity´s and that´s what cost us 3 points many times...

Still in the cup with hopefully good run ahead..i feel positive again after tonight...just becouse i feel Carroll - Suarez partnership in 442 like tonight might work..

top 4 won´t probably happend but untill it´s impossible, it´s not impossible :P

Yeah Gerrard is nullified as a deep CM-er, but then he needs to play there if Kenny wants Adam and not have either Spearing or Lucas. Can't play them together imo and the team needs a DM to add balance.

The friendly derby has to be the worst derby game in the world, Poor atmosphere, Poor football, Poor passion....BORING!!!

i thought Carroll had very good game tonight.. i would try to play Suarez - Carroll from beginning at least next 10 games to say he need to be sold...

Gerrard CAN do this in every game, he just needs to play more up as he did in his Torres partnership, he is not a player to play deep, he is to much talented for that.. in past games he had to play as CM in 442, tonight he was more attacking, with Spearing + Henderson doing the back up job very well... our midfield looks more fluent without Adam...just my opinion.

I agree one win don´t mean a lot, but it´s not like we played shit before all the games to be where we are, we just didn´t scored from many oportunity´s and that´s what cost us 3 points many times...

Still in the cup with hopefully good run ahead..i feel positive again after tonight...just becouse i feel Carroll - Suarez partnership in 442 like tonight might work..

top 4 won´t probably happend but untill it´s impossible, it´s not impossible :P

The reason Torres+Gerrard was frighteningly successful was
because Torres was a supreme finisher scoring so many goals...
Gerrard added to that with his positioning high up the pitch..
and his great goalsscoring record that complimented Torres..

so that's why i say that Gerrard cannot and will not be able
to do this every game.....there is too much burden for him
at this age....but credit to him...he's still a massive player
AS LONG AS HE IS GIVEN THE FREE ROLE ...and not stuck in central
midfield.

For us to replicate that with both Suarez+Carroll means we need
to play without wingers and have a 4-2-2-2
with Spearing+Henderson protecting the back-4
and have Kuyt/Downing/Bellamy/Gerrard behind Carroll/Suarez

I guess there's no harm trying that out...since Adam has been total
crap and should be on the bench...since Spearing is a far better
replacement for Lucas.

Well I hope we do well in the FA Cup....but Chelsea/Spurs/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland will have something to say about that.

League......well I hope we do better.....but I don't like the fact
that it takes such a long time for Dalglish to drop his signings...
and the fact that he continues to ignore the likes of Maxi who was
one of our most effective players in the last 12 months.

That is why I feel we still need huge changes in the summer.

Yeah Gerrard is nullified as a deep CM-er, but then he needs to play there if Kenny wants Adam and not have either Spearing or Lucas. Can't play them together imo and the team needs a DM to add balance.

i think we have a good (back up DM to Lucas) in Spearing..

Gerrard said after tonight´s game:
"Kenny has trusted him where previous managers haven't. He's quality"

i think he is very much underrated, but he has been very good for us for more than a year now...

and also i think after seeing us playing more fluent tonight at times, i think Suarez was playing at the second striker role or AM role more often....Henderson was shifted some parts on right midfield and with Kelly attacking as a wing-back - this created more free space for Suarez to link with Carroll, Gerrad had a good game also becouse of his more attacking role backed by Spearing and Henderson...

in next games i hope we won´t chainge this...

i hope we play midfield trio as much as possible:

Henderson ------ Spearing
--------- Gerrard -------
--- Suarez ----- Downing/Maxi/Bellamy
--------- Carroll -------

with posibility of Suarez and the other AM/Wing chainge sides...

this way Gerrard can have his free role again, he is no CM, he is a true AM/SS and goal threat at this position!

i also have to disagree with why i think Gerrard was great in that season with Torres..it wasn´t only becouse Torres was top class CF back then..but becouse Gerrard could play a free role backed by two of the best CM-DM pair in world at that time Mascherano-Alonso, so far he had troubles playing in CM partnership with Adam and also with Henderson, or we had troubles to play with both Adam and Henderson but without Gerrard, only with Spearing behind...

My point is above, i think the midfield of Spearing-Henderson-Gerrard is our best possible and most fluent atm..

Add Shelvey and Adam on bench to come in end of games more often..Spearing is untouchable at this stage.

Last edited:

http://www.le10sport.com/football/france/ligue1/psg-suarez-et-cavani-convaincus-par-lugano-59747

Luis wants PSG move ...interesting. I wonder if he`ll take another club to court to get his move.

tumblr_m0spj7ECP51qe816ro1_500.gif

i also have to disagree with why i think Gerrard was great in that season with Torres..it wasn´t only becouse Torres was top class CF back then..but becouse Gerrard could play a free role backed by two of the best CM-DM pair in world at that time Mascherano-Alonso, so far he had troubles playing in CM partnership with Adam and also with Henderson, or we had troubles to play with both Adam and Henderson but without Gerrard, only with Spearing behind...

My point is above, i think the midfield of Spearing-Henderson-Gerrard is our best possible and most fluent atm..

Add Shelvey and Adam on bench to come in end of games more often..Spearing is untouchable at this stage.

No I did not say that it was only because of Torres....
I said it was a combination of both.....Torres + Gerrard..

Yes I agree that Spearing is great in DM....
If we have both Lucas+Spearing...that would be great next year...

Yes for now Spearing+Hendo+Gerrard is good...

No I did not say that it was only because of Torres....
I said it was a combination of both.....Torres + Gerrard..

That´s what i ment as well.. of course Torres was top class back then.. but with the backing of everyone, including wingers but mostly Gerrard..who is best as SS or AM..just in that 4351 formation..right behind striker..

just imagine our current team with Mario Gomez up front for example... :...

So? Doesn't mean he doesn't want to leave because he touched the picture? lol.

well, we will see in summer...

personally i think touching the anfield sign is a sign of passion for the club..

The Suarez - PSG story is bollox, so I think he'll want to stay for now. Remember when players celebrate by kissing their badges, same as that. Suarez's Top player but can't do it alone !

Gerrard apparently played very well yesterday...so what?
That was one match. In all the other matches i've seen him he was extremely poor.
When i wrote that he would be a good player for an ambitious Championship team i didn't mean no disrespect for him, but i forgot how big clubs fans seem to think that all those other clubs are unworthy.
Wouldn't it be a fantastic end of carreer for whatever international to play for a team like Leeds, Boro, Southampton, clinch promotion and do well in the EPL. I think a player like Gerrard, Joe Cole, or Wayne Bridge would be very happy to play for Swansea right now. The football Swansea plays right now is much better than what most top teams (including Liverpool) show at the moment.

And i talked about Joe Cole...don't you think that he is happier now in Lille than he was in Liverpool last year. Well to be honest i don't see a big difference between Joe Cole last year and both Carragher and Gerrard now. From now on things will go downhill for those hugely influential players. Their influence was an asset for all these years, but now it will become a liability. So either give them a good honourable transfer or give them a position at the club, but not as a player because sooner or later they will be the source of trouble.

One hattrick against Everton (and even more splendid performances) will not change that...

"Old" players receive so much unnecessary criticism for just being over 30. I remember when Seedorf was booed by over 40,000 Milan fans when being subbed and ended up crying on the way out for having a bad period when it was actually the whole team's fault. But because he is old and slow, all fingers were pointed at him. He then turned it around and had an amazing next season and became a fan favourite again when the coach was changed and the team started performing better.

Thing is I still rate Gerrard much higher than Adam or Henderson. They are good players but Gerrard adds much more to the team and influence may not be a bad thing but that depends on the personality of Gerrard. He can either be a role model for the younger players or a liability who just nags when he is not playing like Totti and Inzaghi were at one point.

gerd i dont agree with nothing what u say

a legend of team a perfect end of carier will be in that team , perfdect end for Maldini was on Milan not in Lecce , so same will be for Gerrard , its really shame to send again one play like Gerrard who before can play for every big team in the world like real etc but he dont did so now that he is a bit old and lose a bit power say fuck to him and send to leeds ? no way man fuck real madrid who did this with Raul and every shit team who do this its really shame for a player who spend all carier in that team to send after away like nothing

if Gerrard is washed up n finish... he has something most lack intelligence! What I saw was a man always trying to help out the strikers by feeding them. Gerrard last night said "bollox" I`ll do it on my own !

Gerrard needs top quality around him to see his true talent..he needs to have free role in SS/AM area

not sure if Scholes or Giggs would do what Gerrard did playing most of his career with not as quality players as United were blessed with.. i´m not saying United legends are worse, i think Gerrard is up there with best in his day...

Maybe Gerrard should give up on England and focus on club football the same way Scholes did, even if he had the talent to continue even untill now... then maybe Gerrard would be more fit and therefore more usefull for his club team..

anyway, one thing that realy made me happy and continues to do so, Martin Kelly :)

YouTube - Martin Kelly vs Everton | 13.03.12 | HD

Last edited:

I don't agree with anything Gerd says about Stevie G either.

He's not the player he used to be but he's still a very good player not to mention an icon, a positive influence to have around the club and a great leader, professional and determined individual who brings out and demands the best out of his Liverpool team-mates for the club he loves. He always has, can and will play a big role in Liverpool's present and future. I think everyone but you acknowledges that fact. Fans, players, owner alike and even most pundits.

To be honest, I don't mean this as a personal attack but an observation of my good friend Gerd, and that is that when this man doesn't like you, it's OVER! lol. It clouds his judgement so badly that he becomes anything but objective. He's said that he's refereed matches before but I for one would be glad to see him off that role because it seems to me, it's a real task for him to remain impartial. When he doesn't like you for some reason, then you're SHIT. You're a Championship player. You should be sold. etc.

There are plenty of players I dislike and many I prefer over others but if they're good, I'm not gonna deny them their skill and ability. Prime example being Zlatan who's an absolute dick and someone I want to punch in the face, but there's no denying how great he is. Stats, facts, records and history proves it. Same goes for Gerrard. But Gerd, you on the other hand my friend, you seem to really struggle giving credit to anyone you don't like. And Gerrard is certainly a guy you dislike despite what you may say as you've had it in against him and spoken ill of him MANY times. Every chance you get really.

The only real negative with Gerrard around is that it's similar to Henry in his last days at Arsenal.

The younger players are always taking the easy option and passing to him rather than trying to force the play themselves. Even when Gerrard isn't the best option.

I don't agree with anything Gerd says about Stevie G either.

He's not the player he used to be but he's still a very good player not to mention an icon, a positive influence to have around the club and a great leader, professional and determined individual who brings out and demands the best out of his Liverpool team-mates for the club he loves. He always has, can and will play a big role in Liverpool's present and future. I think everyone but you acknowledges that fact. Fans, players, owner alike and even most pundits.

To be honest, I don't mean this as a personal attack but an observation of my good friend Gerd, and that is that when this man doesn't like you, it's OVER! lol. It clouds his judgement so badly that he becomes anything but objective. He's said that he's refereed matches before but I for one would be glad to see him off that role because it seems to me, it's a real task for him to remain impartial. When he doesn't like you for some reason, then you're SHIT. You're a Championship player. You should be sold. etc.

There are plenty of players I dislike and many I prefer over others but if they're good, I'm not gonna deny them their skill and ability. Prime example being Zlatan who's an absolute dick and someone I want to punch in the face, but there's no denying how great he is. Stats, facts, records and history proves it. Same goes for Gerrard. But Gerd, you on the other hand my friend, you seem to really struggle giving credit to anyone you don't like. And Gerrard is certainly a guy you dislike despite what you may say as you've had it in against him and spoken ill of him MANY times. Every chance you get really.

this guy HATE Gerrard not dislike this is the problem , i follow him here and always talk about Gerrard as one low player what is not just to say for a LEGEND like him

u can look how many matchs Xavi (Barca) have played and how many goals have score , and do one comporation with Gerrard , and believe me Gerrard have better records ;)

or even go on youtube wite "gerrard top 20 goals" or something like this , watch video with his goals 20 or even 50 and then put one other player who did score goals like him , and one "bad" , "low" player cant score like that believe me !

I also hate Ibrahimoshit , but i cant say hes worse than Carroll just com im fan of Liverpool , or even worse than matri , pazzini or so , its something stupid this , same goes for C. Ronaldo i dont like this guy but i cant say hes player who need to play on Ascoli coz dont have capacity to play on 1st category !!!

Valon you are talking shit again. Last time i hated Liverpool, now i hate Gerrard.
Sina, i got to admit that you have a point. This happens often. But i have nothing against Gerrard, i just always thought the guy was immensely overrated (Carragher even more).

It's true that Gerrard is an example, a true leader and a very intelligent player. IMO he never had the class and the inspiration of (for example) a Lampard or a (even more) a Schweinsteiger.

I'm a youth coach (and a rather sucessfull one, my youth team has lost one single match in 3 seasons and that includes wins against PSV, Ajax and Schalke 04 youth teams) but occasionally (2-0 for Chelsea right at this moment) i referee.
I agree with you that i would be a disastrous referee, but i only referee for kids and it is hard to dislike kids between 6 and 8. So don't worry, i'm doing reasonably well.
But if i had to referee big matches players like Zlatan and Ronaldo would not end a single match with me...(Gerrard would though)...that is indeed pretty disastrous.

And Valon while i agree that i don't particularly like Gerrard (but i really like Liverpool) it's nonsens to say that i hate a person i never met....hell maybe Cristiano Ronaldo is a nice guy, why wouldn't Gerrard be one.

And concerning Gerrard, i have the feeling that i'm misunderstood by most of you. That is understandable for the Liverpool fans because i criticize an club icon. I don't understand the other posters in this thread. The only one who agrees more or less with me is mathewss who also said that players like Gerrard and Carragher are way too influential in the dressing room.

Oh and Valon comparing Gerrard to Xavi is really over the top. Xavi is among the 3 best players in the world (only Messi and Ronaldo are better) and Gerrard was at best a top ten player (and i'm trying to judge him by other's judgement, to me he was at best a top 20 player).

2-1: goal by Inler.

I was at the next-gen game tonight cause it was played in St. Helens.

You got battered 6-0 but the game wasn't really like that. Ajax were simply clinical with their chances and you weren't with the few you had.

Sterling had a couple of good runs but didn't do much overall, Ngoo looked clumsy and lazy up front but held it up well a few times, Suso did the square root of fuck all, in fact he was probably the worst player on the pitch.

However the number 2, right back, no idea what his name is. He was fantastic. Already a better defender than Johnson is.

I think I see what gerd is talking about.....
most of the games this season Gerrard is just ok...nothing great.

Gerrard was very clinical and was at the right place at the right time
in the game against Everton...

but one thing to note is that all 3 Liverpool goals were counter-attacks
when Everton lost the ball...and Liverpool were in quickly up the
other end...with Suarez being the main assistant.

But there are many games where he's not that good.....and I think
that is why he is not the same player as he was at his peak in 2009
when he had that partnership with Torres...

But Gerrard was never the great technical player like Xavi/Iniesta/Zidane..
Gerrard is more like a brute-force player who has a great shot
and had a great timing in attack......an all-action player
who is not disciplined but needs freedom to do what he wants.
Rafa Benitez...not surprisingly was the only manager to get the best
out of him....since he knew that Gerrard cannot sit in the center of
midfield and dictate play or break up attacks...like Alonso and Masch/Lucas
respectively.....so he sent Gerrard nearer Torres and...bingo...GOALS !!
No wonder Gerrard has done so little for England....since he never
plays in that role in the hole :-)

But the problem is Gerrard is not the same player....and now his great
performances are rare due to injuries/age and also the lack of any goalscorer in the Liverpool team..

I think for Liverpool's sake.....either we get Torres back and resume
their partnership.....which is less likely....since both are declining players..
or slowly phase Gerrard out....
and also get Carragher out of the team.....(once Coates is a bit more consistent)
We need to copy what Bilbao/Swansea are doing....that is the model
that will last much longer...since the team is built on several good
technical players with quick ball movement...instead of relying on
1 or 2 superstars.......today we are too over-reliant on Suarez/Gerrard...
previously it was Torres/Gerrard...

Of course we need 2 strikers who can put the ball in the net more often !!

Last edited:

That is exactly what i think mathewss.
You seem the only one who picks it up.
Now it seems as if i said that Gerrard is a worthless player.

What i'm saying is two things:

1 He is declining spectacularly (compare him with Giggs and Scholes)
2 He was a very good player, but not as good as most English people (and certainly Liverpool fans) think he was (once again, compare him with bot Giggs and Scholes, Gerrard never has been as good as one of these two, yet for some reason he has always had a higher profile).

Valon has talked about Real Madrid and Raul. Well that is a good example how Gerrard and Carragher could end up. Raul is an iconic player for Real Madrid and the Spanish national team (a much better player than Gerrard ever was, i might add), also a very outspoken player because he cared for his club. But somewhere along the rod he suddenly became a nuisance, add to that the fact that he was declining and i can understand Real Mardid transferred him. This was an excellent thing for both Real and Raul who plays well in Schalke and his happy in Gelsenkirchen. In a couple of years Raul can return to Real Madrid for a second carreer. If he would have stayed with Real Madrid, it wuld have ended in tears...

I think it would be best for both Liverpool and Gerrard if he got transferred to a nice good club where everything is fresh for him and where he can find new challenges.

I can't see Gerrard playing in England for any other club...
he would have to move abroad if he is pushed out of Anfield..
can't see him doing that to be honest...because of injuries...
also see Lampard/Terry ...these guys will stay at their clubs....and get into coaching/etc...
they can't go abroad...since they will not have same worship from fans.

Also I can't see Dalglish doing that.....since he needs the local boys
and he will want to keep the Liverpool identity in the dressing room
which is good in a way to keep the bond with the fans....
but can be too powerful and have negative results...with the players
staying on....having a big say in things....influencing the media, etc...

One funny thing...I see so many Liverpool players (Reina, Carra)
saying Gerrard is now a Liverpool legend...best ever....2nd best English midfielder
of all time..... all this after one game where he played well....ok he scored 3 goals...
but this "best this"..."best that"...
seems too much exaggeration...and hype.

Last edited:

Gerrard was never as good as Giggs and Scholes?
In what parts of game of football was he not as good as those two may I ask.

Was it passing, scoring, ball control, game intelligence, versatility, tackling, commitment..?
I truly wonder in what parts of football was Steven Gerrard second best to Giggs and Scholes and how exactly do you measure that with all three playing different positions.

Some serious amount of history rewriting going on here.
Sure, he had an injury riddled season and it's clearly obvious that Liverpool are already planning for a future without SG, but the man is a phenomenal footballer with trophy's to show for it and during his peak years 2005-2009 he was without a doubt amongst world's best players.

i believe if Gerrard of some years ago was in team of this barcelona can easy be on top 3 best player , and im sure if Xavi was right now on Liverpool or Roma or team who is in 3-6 place of table will never be on top 3 player , its "easy" to play on barca right now , even me can make something good there , look messi what he do with Argentina ? NOTHING same was gerrard with Liverpool was almost "alone" ;)

also look what goals have score xavi and look what have score gerrard , xavi score goals who other make for him , and gerrard most of time score by his own

Iniesta have technique but not Xavi in my eyes , good pas and so but not dribling or anything like this

today its birthday of 2 my favorite teams FC LIVERPOOL and US LECCE , i didnt know this untill now haha its amazing this "connection" of 2 my favorite teams :D

Last edited:

I think both Giggs and Scholes were better in every aspect of their game than Gerrard, with a few exceptions. Gerrard is definitely a better tackler than Scholes, who is among the most lousy tacklers in the game.
Gerrard is also a better free kick taker than the other two.
But i can't see any other point.

Of course Xavi scores less goals than Gerrard. So what?

just a rumour, but take it as you like...

at the time before summer transfer window 2005, Morinho wanted Gerrard so badly he wanted to give LFC Lampard and Terry + money... probably just a rumour, but at the time he was best midfielder in world with Kaka..

Gerrard was very close to sign for Chelsea but the CL win chainged this...

besides i think all players are unique.. Gerrard is Gerrard, Scholes is Scholes and Giggs is Giggs..they are all unique and deserve respect..

I'm a United fan so have that inherent bias, but Gerrard was one of the best midfielders in the world 6/7 years ago. Real were sniffing around at the same time as Chelsea.

When Keano was retiring he was the only player in the prem that could have replaced him. Obviously he'd never of moved to United, but that was pre-Glazers and we could actually try to sign big players and a lot of us thought a cheeky bid would be in order.

Back
Top Bottom