Killzone 2

The online servers keep going off today - it must be a problem behind the scenes that they're trying to fix or improve because yesterday I ran into no problems online at all. Not a hint of lag and no problems with stats.

It could just be something they're fixing that links the game to the website like the battle replay as there's a known bug there where helghast icons warp across the map weirdly.

Matt got his copy earlier and I tried to have a game with him (when the servers were online). But i was blocked from joining the game he was in as i out ranked him by too much. (I'm on the verge of unlocking the engineer, i need like 60 points)

[Just saw Mj's post as i went from quick reply to full reply]

It must be in there to stop people at high ranks with all the tools and knowledge of the maps wiping the floor with new players and getting easy EXP. It will probably be the same as in COD where you have levels 1 - 4 servers for those players only and then at level 5 you were sent out to play with the big boys.

although at times I feel it's really hard to be accurate with the guns... ...You definitely need to control your shot bursts on this game as the recoil sends you all over the place.

Yeah I only really use my scoped view at great distances, anything mid range or close up I just fire short bursts in quick succession from the hip and it usually kills them pretty quickly.
Sometimes I feel like I'm getting killed too easily or cheaply and my shots aren't hitting anything. Like you can spawn on a squad leader, take 2 steps and you're killed with a head shot and left thinking 'how did they get their view onto my head that quickly?' As you'll know from playing it's pretty difficult to line up a head shot with the inertia effect if you're in a rush or if the target is running.

But then the next game I play I'll have no trouble, ill get head shots all over the place and all of the hip shots take down enemies right away so they must be left thinking 'shit off'.

It was the same in R6 Vegas though, you could be behind cover and poke your head out once and it's blown right off leaving you feeling like you've been robbed as you couldn't get your targets onto their heads as fast as they got it onto yours.

-

MJ, what do you mean by 'hot spots'? Like choke points or like 'places to camp or run to to get the most kills' ?

I've noticed patterns on the maps where plays run to right away but when the engineers started putting the turrets up they've now moved. An obvious map to pick out would be the one that was in the demo if you left the 'press start' screen alone for a bit. It showed your guy taking out some big enemy with a chain gun.

I think it's called 'something slums' or something? Well on that map the initial choke points are, the 2 doorways and stair areas. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't played the map but if you've played it you should know what I mean. Everyone runs there and grenades get throw around as both teams try to get through the door to attack you in your own half.

Well after the turrets were repaired and others went up, not that many people bother with those doors, or at least the left door. Now people are going down to the bottom in the slum area and cutting around the back or using the bridges to flank around.

Last edited:
-931 error

we're on this one and have a good idea why it is occuring. There will also be a new patch released in the next two hours to hopefully fix this. In the mean time, stay cool and normal service will resume shortly.

Seb
Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games
---------

Also...
http://www.killzone.com/kz/performance_singleplayerstats.psml?kz_user_id=KRadiation

I'm not sure if what I'm talking about will show up for you guys but there is a list of locked content on the right side of the screen that relates to the SP game. You can unl;ock them by collecting the intel or destorying the helghast symbols. Well ive just uploaded my stats and had a look at whats unlocked and I've got these so far:

UNLOCKABLES
Unlockable 1
Helghast Propaganda Poster 1
.pdf 2.2 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 2
Helghast Wildlife Field Guide
.pdf 20.6 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 3
Killzone 2 Wallpaper 3
.jpg 248 KB
Download it now
Unlockable 4
Killzone 2 Strategy Guide Excerpt
.pdf 6.37 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 5
Helghast AAPC Paper Craft
.pdf 13.7 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 6
Helghast Food Preparation
.pdf 3.66 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 7
Helghast Mask Maintenance Instructions
.pdf 4.64 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 8
Killzone 2 Wallpaper 5
.jpg 371 KB
Download it now

Last edited:
-931 error

---------

Also...
http://www.killzone.com/kz/performance_singleplayerstats.psml?kz_user_id=KRadiation

I'm not sure if what I'm talking about will show up for you guys but there is a list of locked content on the right side of the screen that relates to the SP game. You can unl;ock them by collecting the intel or destorying the helghast symbols. Well ive just uploaded my stats and had a look at whats unlocked and I've got these so far:

UNLOCKABLES
Unlockable 1
Helghast Propaganda Poster 1
.pdf 2.2 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 2
Helghast Wildlife Field Guide
.pdf 20.6 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 3
Killzone 2 Wallpaper 3
.jpg 248 KB
Download it now
Unlockable 4
Killzone 2 Strategy Guide Excerpt
.pdf 6.37 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 5
Helghast AAPC Paper Craft
.pdf 13.7 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 6
Helghast Food Preparation
.pdf 3.66 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 7
Helghast Mask Maintenance Instructions
.pdf 4.64 MB
Download it now
Unlockable 8
Killzone 2 Wallpaper 5
.jpg 371 KB
Download it now

Nice idea to have offline unlocks!

Played the 1st level at lunch and probably because I was rushing (didnt think it would go on for 30 mins!) I thought it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

Like I say, harsh to judge after 30 mins and I'll probably love it later!

My big problem is it feels forced "GO HERE" - "DO THIS" - "PICK THIS UP" - why the fuck cant the other guys do it. Its like they have to put it in to make a game of it.

Looking forward to online laters though!

Hot spots as in areas you cannot walk down/go through without getting shot. There's one level that has three bridges. You spawn at your usual spot but to get to the other end of the map where the objective is you have to use the bridges where the enemy usually camp out and pick you off. In the Helgan Industries level there is a main room you have to go through to get to the other side. It's a slaughter house in there. I ended up quitting as every time I went in there I killed a few and died, or had grenades thrown at me left right and centre. It was pointless trying to achieve the objectives and it was a little repetitive.

Every game I have played so far, players have focused on shooting others so I have yet to see anyone plant turrets or use other strategies. It just seems like team death match with the added bonus of other objectives.

I'll stick with it as it is bound to get better as I change class and use other strategies.

Last edited:
I know the bridge map, it's really dusty. I've played it offline with bots and it's been ok but I've only played that map online in Bodycount. I've really only played body count modes on the maps so far. The others look fun as well but like you say on that huge bridge level;, the objectives are always placed near the spawn points so the defending team have a real advantage. I guess that makes for a closer fought game that's down to the team work. But at the moment I'm not wanting to play toughly fought maps that favour campers, especially when i don't have a sniper rifle to blow their heads off.

Any tips on improving the controls?

For me they are spoiling this game. They just feel horrible and unresponsive even on the single player.

Erm... I use Alternate 2, online i have crouch set to toggle on/off instead of 'press and hold' to crouch, I have the sensitivity bumped up about 2 notches as well.

I can't sprint jump, spin in the air 180 degrees and head shot 3 guys before they can blink like in COD but I've not had too many problems. There only real pain is the slow turning speed at times, it's like it needs to get going before it moves at full speed which is a little off putting when enemies are sprinting past you and you move left, then they stop and you overshoot. On the flip side tiny movements on the stick are done pretty well and I can aim at someone then nudge the stick a little to get it on their head and BLAM.

It still took me a good hour or so until i really got the controls. The first hour i was online i was getting thrashed over and over but now i've started to hang back a little and not go for the action kills, but try to play more defensive and take guys out as they rush me with a quick 'from the hip' burst of fire.

The way I got used to the game was to play Bodycount on Radec Academy. If you want to hold back and pick people off you can, if you want to go on the attack you can as well. Either way you can work up enough points to rank up quickly and have fun doing it. The map is small enough too so you're not running around for an hour only to get shot and respawn miles away.

---
I've tried looking for a list where it explains what ranks you need to be able to join another friend but I can't see anything anywhere. There has to be something somewhere on killzone's site but I've found nothing yet.

I traded in 3 games today, made a nice profit on a pre owned Heavenly Sword that I bought for 89p and I'll be getting the game in the morning at HMV for £10.

:COOL:

I got £7 for HS, £10 for LBP and £8 for Uncharted.

LBP is cheaper than Fifa in most places, it works out to about half the price of the game either way.

Just read we can create our own ranked custom games with a password and still rank up.

People have been abusing the ability by getting 2 humans into a private server with bots and then wiping the floor with them over and over to get to the top of the leaderboards.

But if we ever want to play a certain mode with the rules different like the time limits we can set them up ourselves and still gain exp.

That sounds good!! I'll be jumping on this in about an hour at the most I imagine, not sure whether to go straight online or play SP first. :/

Just read we can create our own ranked custom games with a password and still rank up.

People have been abusing the ability by getting 2 humans into a private server with bots and then wiping the floor with them over and over to get to the top of the leaderboards.

But if we ever want to play a certain mode with the rules different like the time limits we can set them up ourselves and still gain exp.
so in theory me and u can level up and gain all the perks together on a private game?

I started on the SP first and then after finishing the first 2 levels went online and only went back to the SP when the online was down. I've gone back to the SP story today with the servers being offline and the story kind of looks like it's about to end... I was thinking 'this seems a little short' but then my stats say I'm only at 39% complete.

-

I'm gagging to get online right now as I'm 1 win or 2 losses away from unlocking the engineer class. Winning gives your exp points a multiplier bonus of something like 1.5% which should be enough if i play well to unlock it for me.
But then if I do rank up again I run the risk of always being just out of all of my friends reach when it comes to playing with the, :(

I'm hoping it's just the first few ranks I'm barred from playing against like on COD.

so in theory me and u can level up and gain all the perks together on a private game?

Exactly. We could all join up on a passworded server, all go onto one side and play against some bots. We'll all gain exp and all rank up still and will avoid being owned by some elites players who have been playing since the first betas. The bots aren't a piece of piss on the middle difficulties though, on the recruit they still pack a punch but i've managed to beat them without much trouble.

Someone would just have to make a server and then pm the password around through the PS3 and wait for them to join (you join by going into the online menu, then friends list and just pressing X on a friend.

Last edited:
The KZ website seems to lagggg, but I've checked it out and I love how you can track pretty much everything online. ARGH I'm dying to get on it, I'll prolly do SP first then go online. At least I can get used to the controls that way, we'll all definitely have to do that private ranked thing, really liking that idea.

Yeah, I was trying to set it up today but no one can join me yet so you'll all have to do it with each other and leave little old me on my own.
You could easily abuse it to boost your rank which many have done already but then when those people step into a game full of people who have worked their rank up and have improved their game they're going to get thrashed.

Do it with each other?! Ahem. :LOL:

Nah seriously, I'd rather work my way up properly so I'll only do this if there's at least 3/4 of us together, don't wanna abuse it.

Christ all of that sounds dodgy now. Haha.

Got my Limited Edition Killzone 2 today from ShopTo. Really like the steel case. Played the game for a couple of hours now. WOW! Everything about it is sublime. The graphics are astonishing, the guns feel like they pack a punch and the audio is deafening. Haven't managed to play multiplayer yet as im focusing on single player. Controls take some getting used to. I reccomend Alternate 2 with zoom on hold. Make crouch toggle on multiplayer. All it needs now is Home support which I hope will be coming soon. But overall this is a fantastic game and a definite reason to own a PlayStation 3. :)

Just ranked up an unlocked the engineer class. I was playing with a lot of people then with AVF tags. Is that the forum clan you were on about JM?

Also noticed that I'm not being put into games with people who can have rockets, sniper rifles and lay gun turrets so every things suddenly got a lot tougher,

What are your thoughts now Rad? Rating out of 10 at this time? Definate purchase? Better multiplayer than Vegas 2?

I mention Vegas 2 because a guy I work with plays NOTHING but Vegas 2 but we think he might like KZ2 from what we've heard.

If you can get past the inertia and get used to how it plays then I think he'd love it.

I think Eurogamer hit the nail on the head when they said Vegas 2 and Team fortress mixed together. The classes really add a lot to the game. I'll have to play it more though and see how it plays when im with a full group of tooled up ranked up players who know what they're doing.

Out of 10 at this time... you know I'm still not 100% with the controls myself. Quite a few times i can see someone but i just can't move the fucking cross hairs to where i want as easy as i want. I'll see someone running and ill move towards them and it's as if im playing in slow motion and they're at normal speed.
Other times i seem to have luck on my side, guys will run into a room and i'll turn towards them, fire and kill them. It's a strange one.

I'd probably give it an 8 maybe? I don't know. I'm sat here wanting to jump online asap but then there's a downside that i cant join friends which is off putting so maybe that's affecting how i feel at the moment.

Add to that ive just ranked up enough so people around me have some real kick ass guns, so im getting thrashed at times. But i just have to adapt to the changes. I'm so used to only having to worry about machine guns that rockets coming at me and grenades and sniper bullets mean the places i usually run around aren';t as safe as before. Yesterday when i didn't have that in my head i was loving the game, some kills felt a little cheap but then id end up killing a ton of people and thinking 'wow i cant believe i got him'

You know if the game wasn't running at 30fps which is why it has the slow feeling at times id have no problem saying 'buy NOW' but i know that the controls will not just turn them off the game a little but make them hate it.

Last edited:
£37.47 in Asda apparantly :( If no supermarket has it around £30, I'll just order it from ShopTo and should get it on Saturday anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving this so far. Done first two missions and played online, online was a bit confusing at first as I played CoD for so long but once you get used to it it's great to play. Lag free, mostly down to being able to choose a region and timezone I guess, something CoD doesn't have and needs. It ran so well though, it was fantastic and much fun, just need a clan now!! xD Tried doing it where it changes game mode throughout the match, was a bit confusing but a good idea I thought. Think body count is the best atm though. Even with a full server, it was seamless.

Single player is very good, graphics are gorgeous and the guns are pretty good to get used to. I actually like having to do things yourself like openings doors and turning valves with the sixaxis. Helghast soldiers look awesome, I want one of those costumes. Imagine going out in that, ha.

I'm getting used to controls now. I've had a few moments where I couldn't hit a bloody thing and then the next moment I've thrown a grenade in a room with 6 people in by chance and killed them all haha. I even did a double head shot, shooting through one persons head killing another.

Tell you what though, having better guns REALLY makes a difference. The machine gun you unlock with the shotgun at First Class Sergeant (I think it's called that) is far superior to the starting two guns. It has less recoil and seems to have a bit more punch. The less recoil also helps when your aiming and controls feel a little more responsive and bearable. It's a shame you can't unlock different sights for the guns though as I'd like a laser dot sight or something akin to COD.

Now that I've ranked up to my 4th level you can really tell the difference in standard of players. I jump up a wall to peek over the top to see the enemy and bang, head shot kill. Also in one instance I tried to hide behind a wall and was flushed out by 2 or 3 grenades, as soon as I peeked out bang head shot kill.

I'm still a bit unsure. The controls are severely effecting whether I'll keep this as it's so frustrating at times missing kills I would normally get with my eyes shut on COD. At the moment though I'm still having fun, it's so addictive damn it. I REALLY cannot wait to start sniping and engineering.

Hopefully one day I'll rank up enough to join you elites in an Evo-web clan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom