Killzone 2

Re: Killzone 2 PS3

Well I have played through the demo twice, in one word: Uninspiring.

Highlights for me included the reload animations for the various weapons, seriously cool, especially with DOF dropping in and out. The rest didn't really pop out at me like I was hoping it would. Sounds was good too. I didn't like the general movement of your foes, it just wasn't quite right. The constant spawning of enemies is grating too, if you pop them off at long range before the game "wants" you to, it will spawn a replacement.

I didn't mess about with different configs, the only thing I did was invert the Y-axis. The controls were ok, they didn't feel as tight as other FPS games. Using R1 was weird initially to shoot, but I got used to that. I was expecting the movement to be really sluggish and it wasn't too bad in all honesty. Shooting felt solid and weighty, but not as satisfying as Gears. When you are laying into someone in Gears, you can really sense you are dealing serious damage. I didn't get that feeling in KZ2.

I didn't want to mention the dreaded "colour pallete" topic, I personally got sick of that with the Gears discussions. However, I dislike any game where the enemy blends in with the overall colour scheme of the game, it is really annoying. True, it is realistic to real combat, that doesn't necessarily make it fun for me though.

Killzone 2 is not a system seller imo, both LBP and Pacific Rift make me think "wow" way ahead of Killzone 2.

Summed up pretty much how I feel alot better than I did haha

Nevertheless, I am still very much looking forward to the multiplayer on this game and from what I've read it promises to be quite the prospect

Seems like a stupid negative point when they pick on the games dialogue. The Sarge tells you to watch out for those sentry bots and they're saying that's a bad thing as you could have figured that out yourself?

Surely though in the real world if you hadn't seen them and the Sarge had, he'd warn his team mates about them just like anyone would? I bet if there hadn't been any help from him they'd be saying 'what's the point of him being there if he can't warn you about simple threats such as a sentry bot'

Exactly. Like on Ross Kemp revisits Afghanistan, where a massive rocket flies over his head, the commanding officer still shouts RPG!! It's just a general reaction in the circumstances.

I'll have to have a look for their reviews of Call of duty and see if they pick on the squad mates shouting out things like that as well.

With this selling for £30 new and SOCOM selling for £30 WITH THE OFFICIAL HEADSET, are Sony lowering their prices because of the credit crunch or what? Either way it's great.
Normally (last gen) Sony exclusives were always cheaper than multiplatform games

Can't find any review of COD4 but someone commented that in the review they failed to mention a lot of the games features how it
doesn't go into any game mechanics, no graphics, no mention the 7.1 uncompressed PCM Sourround sound, or how each weapons has a heavy sound to the bullets, no mention the impressive effects. No mention of the tight gamplay. No mention of the controls and how it feels so realistic moving and using your weapons, as everything in this game has been motion captured.
and started it off by
"calling Killzone fans fanboys and bashes Sony then bashes the psp"

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/4586.html

Edge Killzone 2 Review: A Disservice To Game Consumers
Killzone 2
+ Killzone 2

Look, we're not saying our review of the game is "right." We're not saying that personal opinion doesn't factor into an analysis of any video game. We're not saying that the consumer isn't entitled to gathering information before making a purchase; in fact, it's always recommended. But here's what we are saying- publishers have long since understood the power of the review score, and most any gamer will tell you that he/she won't drop the $60 unless they've first looked at some feedback. This being the case, we advise all of you to ignore the desperate-for-attention, we're-going-to-prove-our-elite-status so-called "review" from Edge that has the entire Internet talking.

I'm not linking to it; it doesn't deserve to be linked to. Let's just say Killzone 2 got a 7...and as a frame of reference, Let's Tap for the Wii got an 8. As we said, we're not about to question if there are legitimate reasons, and we're well aware of the often drastic differences in review policy from one publication to the next. But this is nothing more than a blatant attempt at attention, and if it were a strict editorial that doesn't really have any impact on the consumer, we wouldn't blink an eye. But this is assigning a numerical value to a game that basically says, "it's good, but there are better titles out there for your money." This...is...a...lie. That's right, a lie. Like it or not, opinions exist on a sliding scale, and we're not saying everyone is going to enjoy KZ2, but this review is akin to saying something similar about "The Godfather II" or "Citizen Kane." We all know that Guerilla's title is one of the best FPSs ever made; anyone who knows this industry and has a functioning brain will admit to this. They may not like it, but they will admit to its quality. This is what good reviewers do.

They don't lie to the consumer to get some sort of underground "elite cred." I don't care what your system is for reviewing games; if you're scoring on a scale of 1 - 10, there's no way on earth KZ2 gets a 7 in direct comparison to the other products on store shelves. I'm sorry, it just doesn't. In all honesty, based on past review scores from that publication, we're starting to wonder if anyone ever actually plays the games in question...it would be extremely easy to issue a controversial review simply for the sake of gaining attention. You don't need any real details or facts, and you can fabricate a ton of supposed negative reaction. That may not be what happened here, but we at PSXE believe that we are providing our readers with a service. We believe all journalists in all industries are, and that service must be - above all else - as reliable as possible. When a consumer puts their faith in you when doing research on a product, whether it's other consumer reviews or professional analysis, you have a responsibility to that consumer.

If it's your job to be faithful to your readers, you are not allowed to do things like this. You are not allowed to indulge your massive ego in an underhanded attempt at getting attention. Video game journalists aren't exactly treated with a ton of respect by other entertainment journalists (I know, I was one), and if this keeps happening, we'll keep suffering under the same label. And that label is: "a bunch of kids with superiority complexes who just want to prove they 'know more' than everyone else...at the expense of the consumer." That, right there, sums up Edge's review. For your sake, just ignore it.

Edge absolutely suck for reviews now.... not sure whether they are trying to prove a point for some reason, but the last few months, the reviews (and scores) have been bizarre.

Read the review and the comments are fair enough, its actually quite a lot of praise, however the review score probably isn't very objective if you compare it to their other review scores. If Killzone gets a 7 for having generic characters and story (which they nearly all do) whilst having stunning graphics, sound, multiplayer, etc then most releases would be a 5. The review does seem to have an overly "bitter" edge for the negative comments.

Actually it was a 9.

Still... cannot see too much difference? Futuristic shooter sequel, amazing graphics and sound, cheesy dialogue, excellent multiplayer (apparantly) etc etc

I still think Edge have changed their policy over the last 6 months to 'shock' gamers with their scores.

I did a post on it a while back (may have been on AVF actually) and many agreed.

EDGE is one of the worst magazines I have read. It seems to me they give out low scores to sell magazines and enhance their 'rep' as the most critical and therefore best gaming publication available. Nonsense.

At the end of the day who cares what a magazine or website say? I think ratings are pathetic anyway and just fuel stupid fan boy wars. They are purely an individuals opinion at that point in time. There have been many games which have reviewed poorly which I enjoyed, conversely games that are rated well, I think suck.

Anyway, played the demo and really like it. The "weight" takes some getting used to, but compared to COD4 Im not sure which I prefer. Ive just recently got COD4 so Ive played maybe twice as much of that as KZ2. COD seems too sharp and KZ2 slightly fuzzy. Somewhere in between would be nice. However I think KZ2's fuzzyness is to get gamers to take a more slower paced take on the game as just running about is a waste of time.

COD4 graphics actually look dated playing them back to back,...and they are really good. The blur/distance effect is especially nice.

Last edited:
Anyway, played the demo and really like it. The "weight" takes some getting used to, but compared to COD4 Im not sure which I prefer. Ive just recently got COD4 so Ive played maybe twice as much of that as KZ2. COD seems too sharp and KZ2 slightly fuzzy. Somewhere in between would be nice. However I think KZ2's fuzzyness is to get gamers to take a more slower paced take on the game as just running about is a waste of time.

COD4 graphics actually look dated playing them back to back,...and they are really good. The blur/distance effect is especially nice.
KZ2 is not a run and gun, unless in multiplayer where there is no cover system

Good luck to him! He's a good poster, so happy to hear what he has to say.

Sounds awesome, Edge should be ashamed. I know its all about 'one persons opinion', but Edge will still have an editor with the final say which represents the magazine as a whole and they will know that sending out scores like '7' for Killzone 2 is going to be controversial, rather than a fair review.

Anyway, fuck em, I'm gonna enjoy it :LOL:

Recommended Bravia settings for Killzone 2 direct from Guerilla.

As per request.

Picture Mode *Custom*
Backlight *8*
Contrast *85*
Brightness *55*
Colour *50*
Colour *Neutral*
Sharpness *15*

Noise reduction *off*

Taken from a 46"

I'll try these out later but I'm sceptical about the Sharpness and Backlight being so high.

I haven't come across any, to be honest if it looks good on your TV then I wouldn't change anything.

Picture mode = Cinema
Backlight = 2
Contrast = 71
Brightness = 49
Colour = 58
Sharpness = 2
Colour tone = Cool
Noise Reduction = Off
Theatre Mode ON

Those are my settings and everything looks great.

Last edited:
I've got a 32" Polaroid definia something or other and can never find settings for that. I think it's still set to the default settings from when I bought it.

Have you got a DVD that has a THX calibration on it? Any Pixar films?

You should tweak the settings.

I think the Bourne demo has a THX Optimizer in it.

After carefully looking into this, reading the posts, talking to a lot of you directly and analysing the controls at GG we have come to the conclusion that there are no changes required to the system. If at all, any changes to the controls would put the majority of people who have not had problems or have adapted out of whack, which may be more serious. Killzone 2 is a weighty, slower, more tactical first person experience that focuses on immersion. It is not a twitchy, split-second gun-wielding experience like some shooters. Also, the online experience is quicker as we've made the controls and animations a little faster during design.

I want to thank you all for your often constructive feedback, both positive and negative and we'll continue to take it all on board to help us make better games. It is almost time folks. Lets enjoy it.

Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games

Back
Top Bottom